sharetrader
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

https://foragerfunds.com/bristlemout...t-of-all-time/

Well worth a read as to how PE sold to investors after selling all the inventory! Well spotted Stranger Danger!
    Last edited by RRR; 29-10-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Jeepers what a rort. Recommended reading for sure.

Membaa

Incredible story a must read "turning mutton into lamb".

Disc: don't hold, certainly won't now!

That rort in the past

Was 66 cents today the low?

Not broke yet - still selling stuff and making a buck
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That rort in the past

Was 66 cents today the low?

Not broke yet - still selling stuff and making a buck
    Still nowhere near a buy.

The problem is, they are in what would be a really tough sector for a well run, much loved, efficient operator.

They are anything but. You might be able to trade a bounce, but my valuation is 15-20 cents.

The only thing this thread makes me want to invest in is Anchorage Capital!
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Banned

Not the first time for Anchorage. They did rather well out of selling Burger King NZ to Blackstone back in 2011. In hindsight a dumb deal for Blackstone as BKNZ is still reporting losses and must be coming under bank pressure. Agree with you SD, invest in Anchorage.

Guru

I know DSE (in NZ) has struggled to compete against new, 'fast moving', 'dynamic' retailers like PB Technologies (who have rapidly expanded in the 20 or so years they have been around), who also have an extensive service network (over 25% of PB's staff are in servicing).

Noel Leaming here in NZ has also been struggling.

Computer retail industry: it is extremely tough... I would say Harvey Norman is an exception, mainly because they are a '1 stop shop' for several things, not just computer/audio equipment etc, and still have an amazing brand name built up over the years... far more so than any other brand names in NZ, they also have extensive interest deals which may appeal to some consumers.

(I imagine my comments for NZ are similar to Australia... therefore any computer retailer that doesn't have a huge, huge brand behind them, run for the high hills while you still can)

Just my 2 cents on computer retailing (Disclosure: I worked as a computer salesman for almost 2 years and have only recently quit at one of the companies mentioned above)
    Last edited by trader_jackson; 01-11-2015 at 05:08 PM.

percy

Went into Harvey Norman to buy the granddaughter an Apple computer on Sunday.They had the one she wanted on display,but none in stock.Tried to sell me one $600 dearer than the one she wanted.When we asked to buy the one on display, they tried to sell it to us for $300 more than the price ticket that was on the lid.When we finally came to an agreement on price, the salesman then tried to load us up with an overprice extended warranty which I declined, only to be offered a $199 security program.As the computer had been a display model their technician had to reprogram it.This morning he rang and advised he could not reprogram it, and I was offered a refund,which I accepted.
    After school today I took my granddaughter to Dick Smiths in Westfield Riccarton.We were quickly approached, and told the salesman we were after modelX Apple computer.Yes ,you have come in for the 10% discount he said smiling,I will just grab you one.We were offerd the extended warranty,but declined,but took the $39.99 security option.
    Conculsion.Dick Smith were friendly,helpfull and a pleasure to do business with,while Harvey Norman were not.
    Last edited by percy; 03-11-2015 at 07:52 PM.

I doubt DSH made much, if anything. The margins on Apple are a joke - hardly worth selling it.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Jeez- another disaster day for DSH

Least it's recovered from 20 cents

Plenty to be made or lost for the brave
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”