sharetrader
Page 222 of 383 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 3828
    On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    If selling some of the generators is a smart move why are they all trading above their 50/100/200 moving averages? Is it that the CERTAIN drop just hasn't happened yet?

And why would selling Meridian in particular be clever?
    Can I suggest that you listen to this radio item that was broadcast on RNZ this morning if you wish to be better informed.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...nd-power-south

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Can I suggest that you listen to this radio item that was broadcast on RNZ this morning if you wish to be better informed.

SNOOPY
    Thanks Snoopy -- a very comprehensive report from RNZ -- but my point was that it (the lack of water in South Island lakes) hasn't flowed through to the MEL shareprice -- hence the ironic question about just how CERTAIN is it that Meridian is a SELL?

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Thanks Snoopy -- a very comprehensive report from RNZ -- but my point was that it (the lack of water in South Island lakes) hasn't flowed through to the MEL shareprice -- hence the ironic question about just how CERTAIN is it that Meridian is a SELL?
    I think we know just what is certain in life - and it's certainly not shareprices! Selling MEL at this stage would be taking into account some new publicly- available information which is now likely to be reflected in the price.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post

SNOOPY
    Just listened to above link-thanks snoopy.
    No mention of mercury though which I have been buying

Rankine units still working at capacity. Just now (see Transpower live data) they are producing 440 MW. All the wind turbines across the country combined are producing...33 MW.

Anyone who thinks wind is the answer to our energy needs may wish to to think again.

Early days my friend.. wind only accounts for about 5% of total NZ installed capacity.

Not sure if there's much benefit in comparing base load and peaking generation anyway.. they each have their role to play.

Today is just GNE's time in the sun..

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post

Today is just GNE's time in the sun..

I didnt realise it did solar power!
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Missed by that much

Early days my friend.. wind only accounts for about 5% of total NZ installed capacity. ....

A bit more than that. At 693 MW it is around 8% of installed capacity and supplies around 5% of the country's energy. The main problem with wind is that it is intermittant and controllable in a single direction, i.e. downwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    A bit more than that. At 693 MW it is around 8% of installed capacity and supplies around 5% of the country's energy.
    ....and growing! Cheers for the clarification.

Main point was regarding base load/ peaking - It's not like it's either all.

Anyway wind looks like it has a strong future in places where older gas/coal stations - like the rankine units - are used as base load. Think Australia?

Missed by that much

....and growing! Cheers for the clarification.

Main point was regarding base load/ peaking - It's not like it's either all.

Anyway wind looks like it has a strong future in places where older gas/coal stations - like the rankine units - are used as base load. Think Australia?
    At the EUG conference in Vienna this year, it was noted that Europe, with its widely interconnected grid system is starting to notice similar issues to what we have been seeing in New Zealand for some time around mixing wind with other forms of generatiom. Wind does not mix well with thermal or other base load plant, but is a good mix with hydro and fast start GT plant. Europe is considering introducing load shifting, similar to NZ's ripple control, to reduce demand when the wind isn't blowing. Many at the conference were surprised to learn that we have been doing that for decades for load control rather than load shift.

Without further fast start plant Europe is almost at the stage of experiencing grid instability due to excess installed wind capacity, just like South Australia already has on a couple of occassions. We still have a bit of room to move in this regard, but if NZ wishes to go fully renewable then we will need to look at alternatives such as pumped storage hydro. Every MW of installed pumped storage allows for more than 2 MW of additional wind capacity.