Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Businesses in a particular location that rely on staff and customers to turn up to that location, will make the obvious decision. Even if they get subsidies to move, why would they if another location doesn't work for them in terms of skills, staff and customers?

I see Xero is setting up a new location in Hawkes Bay - presumably a calculated business decision (though it will reduce Mr Drury's commute time).

And to add - I worked for a very large global tech company that cancelled all working from home. They had a very good reason, too.
Ah yes I agree, I believe this filtering idea is not directly aimed at business's already highly established in Auckland with staff, customers, etc. I guess if they slowly engaged a lot of costs everywhere it would make it harder for the business's already established in Auckland with higher costs of production but how it would help the market is by dampen the demand for new business's that are thinking about starting up in Auckland, this could slow the demand gradually and let the supply side catch up a bit. As I said before this is quite narrow minded and would not instantly fix the crisis but would certainly take pressure off the supply side which is been mainly focused on.