Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
Residents seeking a house to live in should be prioritised and non-residents seeking an investment should pay stamp duty or be restricted to building new houses. Otherwise people who work in the city will be increasingly excluded from owning a house here. For example:
Cost of Auckland living forces police officer to quit
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11877760
Pretty sure that he can move to another city and still get paid the same. Yeah sure he may be away from family and friends, but life happens. I think his letter i a bit of a cop out (just going by his letter). I earn around the same as him and through a fairly stable budget I am definitely not living paycheck to paycheck (live in Auckland) and saving (investing) for my future.

I also believe the government needs an accommodation supplement for the police depending on the location where they work, like what the NZDF is about to roll out in July. Auckland needs to retain there police force and the cost of living in Auckland isn't getting cheaper.

Disc: don't own a house...and with the market, not looking... unless mortgage rates sky rocket forcing people to default on their mortgages losing their homes and flooding the markets with houses.