sharetrader
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 454
  1. #406
    Senior Member MARKETWINNER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    839

    Default

    It is hard to spot a bull market top for any asset. The best example is Auckland housing market. It is still roaring despite being one of the most overvalued property markets in the world.

    http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/busine...-up-13-percent

    Auckland house listings up 13 percent

  2. #407
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,149

    Default Inherited Wealth and Parental Help Needed for Auckland First Home Buyers

    A generation more or less shut out of home ownership without wealthy family help?
    PM John Key's legacy of doing too little too late?
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-f...ectid=11767878

  3. #408
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    A generation more or less shut out of home ownership without wealthy family help?
    PM John Key's legacy of doing too little too late?
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-f...ectid=11767878
    The result of too many people wanting to live in the same street, suburb or city? a.k.a demand?

  4. #409
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The result of too many people wanting to live in the same street, suburb or city? a.k.a demand?
    Yep...limited new supply and demand for property from owner-occupiers, local investors, returning Kiwis, migrants, foreign investors and a government (both the previous Labour and current National) saying for so long there is no problem or it is Council's responsibility. For a start, is it time to prioritise those who want to buy a house to live in and introduce stamp duties for other purchasers? Or is too late for that, as a bubble could be burst?

  5. #410
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wellington, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    A generation more or less shut out of home ownership without wealthy family help?
    PM John Key's legacy of doing too little too late?
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-f...ectid=11767878
    Or Auckland Councils' legacy of restricting land availability? And developers going bust in the GFC didn't help.

    That article quotes the average national price in November 2016 as $624,675 and Auckland average as $1,051,000. But the median prices were $520,000 and $852,000. So nationally half of all sales were less than $520,000 and in Auckland less than $852,000.

    Still big numbers for Auckland but not nearly as bad as banging on about averages as the media does.

  6. #411
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Napier, New Zealand
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Anyone else believe they can dampen the demand of houses in Auckland by pushing business's out of Auckland to other regions around the country? little costs and tax's everywhere making it hard for business's to sustain profits in Auckland. Seems as though they haven't really implemented this strategy.

  7. #412
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wellington, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Anyone else believe they can dampen the demand of houses in Auckland by pushing business's out of Auckland to other regions around the country? little costs and tax's everywhere making it hard for business's to sustain profits in Auckland. Seems as though they haven't really implemented this strategy.
    Who is they?

  8. #413
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Napier, New Zealand
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Who is they?
    Government

  9. #414
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Napier, New Zealand
    Posts
    23

    Default

    It is still a very narrow-minded view on the idea but still seems there has been no implementation of this strategy. anyone thoughts?

  10. #415
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wellington, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    It is still a very narrow-minded view on the idea but still seems there has been no implementation of this strategy. anyone thoughts?
    Businesses in a particular location that rely on staff and customers to turn up to that location, will make the obvious decision. Even if they get subsidies to move, why would they if another location doesn't work for them in terms of skills, staff and customers?

    I see Xero is setting up a new location in Hawkes Bay - presumably a calculated business decision (though it will reduce Mr Drury's commute time).

    And to add - I worked for a very large global tech company that cancelled all working from home. They had a very good reason, too.

  11. #416
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Napier, New Zealand
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Businesses in a particular location that rely on staff and customers to turn up to that location, will make the obvious decision. Even if they get subsidies to move, why would they if another location doesn't work for them in terms of skills, staff and customers?

    I see Xero is setting up a new location in Hawkes Bay - presumably a calculated business decision (though it will reduce Mr Drury's commute time).

    And to add - I worked for a very large global tech company that cancelled all working from home. They had a very good reason, too.
    Ah yes I agree, I believe this filtering idea is not directly aimed at business's already highly established in Auckland with staff, customers, etc. I guess if they slowly engaged a lot of costs everywhere it would make it harder for the business's already established in Auckland with higher costs of production but how it would help the market is by dampen the demand for new business's that are thinking about starting up in Auckland, this could slow the demand gradually and let the supply side catch up a bit. As I said before this is quite narrow minded and would not instantly fix the crisis but would certainly take pressure off the supply side which is been mainly focused on.

  12. #417
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    Another warning of the property price bubble that has been allowed to form: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11837842

  13. #418
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    Auckland lower quartile housing is now severely unaffordable for a couple earning median incomes - even if they can save enough to be able to afford a deposit. Auckland has about a third of NZ's population. As most young Aucklanders (and others around the country) can no longer bank on using owner-occupied housing as their pension plan, is it time for the government to enable other investments to have the same tax advantages as owner-occupied housing?

    "The problems that have been created in Auckland's housing market are now long-term and structural,"
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11845608

  14. #419
    Legend JBmurc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    6,252

    Default

    One in 4 Aussies in mortgage stress
    Yahoo7 Finance 4 May 2017

    Interest rates may be at all-time lows but the number of households in mortgage stress is rising sharply.

    One in four (767,000) Australian households are currently experiencing mortgage stress with just over 30,000 in ‘severe’ stress, according to Digital Finance Analytics.

    The mortgage stress figure for April marks a jump of almost 100,000 households compared to March..

    Read more here; https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/on...051713070.html
    Sell the hype, buy the fear. Always second guess the sentiment but trust in the fundamentals

  15. #420
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    One in 4 Aussies in mortgage stress
    Yahoo7 Finance 4 May 2017

    Interest rates may be at all-time lows but the number of households in mortgage stress is rising sharply.

    One in four (767,000) Australian households are currently experiencing mortgage stress with just over 30,000 in ‘severe’ stress, according to Digital Finance Analytics.

    The mortgage stress figure for April marks a jump of almost 100,000 households compared to March..

    Read more here; https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/on...051713070.html
    I think that headline is a bit sensationalist , it is not 1 in 4 households, plenty of people rent, plenty mortgage free etc ...
    Here are some more accurate figures.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/factcheck...tralia/6442650

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •