sharetrader
Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: GTK - Gentrack

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    I am 100% sure that the institutional investors would have not traded or advised anyone to trade in Gentrack shares if they had received price sensitive information during the briefing
    The thing is though, NOT trading can also be influential. If you were otherwise going to exploit this situation, and get confidentially talked around to inaction, that is also a concern.

one step ahead of the herd

Or if you don't receive the email, you can go to: http://www.chrislee.co.nz/market-news.

https://www.nzx.com/regulators/FMA/announcements/257415

Totally to be expected - so much for the FMA protecting the interests of investors.

You read it loud and clear from the folks at the FMA - risks are there and unless they are blindingly obvious, they are too damned hard for the FMA to warn against or take action against.

https://www.nzx.com/regulators/FMA/announcements/257415

Totally to be expected - so much for the FMA protecting the interests of investors.

You read it loud and clear from the folks at the FMA - risks are there and unless they are blindingly obvious, they are too damned hard for the FMA to warn against or take action against.

I had to chuckle when I read about what is considered im-material and what is considered material in a disclosure. Anyway the market considered it material thats why the share price is f..ked and they have lost market trust. I didnt buy any in the IPO thank goodness but feel for those who did.
    one step ahead of the herd

GTK stood now for some time in the "naughty corner", but if we look at the fundamentals, then they don't look that bad compared to some of the other currently emerging software companies. If we compare them e.g. with WYN, XRO, ERD, OHE then GTK is at this stage the only candidate not writing losses. As well - it even pays a dividend and can still show off a 2 digit CAGAR (11.2% over the last 6 years).

SP currently still at a discount to the IPO ($2.50) and in an uptrend. Tempting enough for me - I dipped the toes into the water and bought a small parcel.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 12-02-2022 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    GTK stood now for some time in the "naughty corner", but if we look at the fundamentals, than they don't look that bad compared to some of the other currently emerging software companies. If we compare them e.g. with WYN, XRO, ERD, OHE than GTK is at this stage the only candidate not writing losses. As well - it even pays a dividend and can still show off a 2 digit CAGAR (11.2% over the last 6 years).

SP currently still at a discount to the IPO ($2.50) and in an uptrend. Tempting enough for me - I dipped the toes into the water and bought a small parcel.
    I wrote about GTK a wee while ago here: http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post525183 and this post reminded me that I should probably put it here too. The big difference between GTK and some might say its a benefit is the fact as a business they're very established and have been around for years. Unfortunately for technology companies being established is not necessarily a good thing due to the rate at which the industry is evolving and the age of their software (or technology stack) can bring with it a lot of Technical Debt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt and the biggest Technical Debt (imho) that GTK currently have is they're using a very old technology stack - which I know for a fact is having some negative effects for their customers and they are developing their own.

As a stock its fair to compare these companies, but I think GTK and its technology stack are quite unique to the other ones listed and from a productivity perspective this does make them less efficient (less competitive) as a result. Also, it hinders their growth potential too, finding staff willing to work with older technology stacks given there is a shortage of IT staff can be very challenging. Finding great staff? Impossible. If they tried to hire as many people as XRO or OHE they would struggle in my opinion - so this isn't a growth stock unlike the WYN, XRO & ERD's above - OHE well time will tell there as I believe they're undergoing a massive retooling / product redevelopment exercise at present.

Ignoring the other facts for a second, I might consider buying GTK as a short term hold - but I think the long term fundamentals involve some bumpy retooling (increased costs) or slow erosion to their top line as customers look elsewhere. Just my 5 cents here, happy to hear your thoughts.

Disc: Do not hold.
    Last edited by KiwiGekko; 08-04-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGekko View Post
    I wrote about GTK a wee while ago here: http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post525183 and this post reminded me that I should probably put it here too. The big difference between GTK and some might say its a benefit is the fact as a business they're very established and have been around for years. Unfortunately for technology companies being established is not necessarily a good thing due to the rate at which the industry is evolving and the age of their software (or technology stack) can bring with it a lot of Technical Debt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt and the biggest Technical Debt (imho) that GTK currently have is they're using a very old technology stack - which I know for a fact is having some negative effects for their customers and they are developing their own.

As a stock its fair to compare these companies, but I think GTK and its technology stack are quite unique to the other ones listed and from a productivity perspective this does make them less efficient (less competitive) as a result. Also, it hinders their growth potential too, finding staff willing to work with older technology stacks given there is a shortage of IT staff can be very challenging. Finding great staff? Impossible. If they tried to hire as many people as XRO or OHE they would struggle in my opinion - so this isn't a growth stock unlike the WYN, XRO & ERD's above - OHE well time will tell there as I believe they're undergoing a massive retooling / product redevelopment exercise at present.

Ignoring the other facts for a second, I might consider buying GTK as a short term hold - but I think the long term fundamentals involve some bumpy retooling (increased costs) or slow erosion to their top line as customers look elsewhere. Just my 5 cents here, happy to hear your thoughts.

Disc: Do not hold.
    I can see your point (working with old technology and technical debt), however wouldn't know which other company producing ERP systems wouldn't have the same problem. Maybe you should talk with people working for SAP or Baan (Infor Global solutions) - their main problem always was to have to work with very old technology and the need to always be compatible to prehistoric software and datasets ...

So - I agree, this is a problem for ERP system developers, but it is not specific for GTK.

If we compare them now again to the likes of WYN, XRO and OHE ... yes, these guys can at this stage afford to use newer technology - but I am sure that as soon as they have an established customer base their technology will have the same problems. All of these companies (if they will be successful) will need to cater for continuity in a rapidly changing technological environment. You could nearly say: this is how you recognise the successful companies! Only Newbies and looser's can afford to always use new technology (which btw - might always be more sexy, but will not always be better).

The other thing I like about GTK is that they grow (their staff) with a sustainable pace. This allows them to still manage their growth, properly train and mentor new staff, to define and agree on coding standards and potentially even to review their software before they deliver and ensure a high quality standard.

If you look at the other hand at the (staff) growth rates of WYN, OHE and XRO - I don't see how you can sustainably grow your staff by 30 to 50% per year without loosing your standards. I expect these companies to run very soon into growing pains. I guess only after they passed this phase will it be possible to assess whether working with new technology is really an advantage for them ...

Just as a PS: I used to start my professional career as a Software and Hardware designer - some 35 years ago. I stayed for most of this time in development (and always close to software) and yes, technology has changed since then. I have seen OO coming, I have seen various programming languages and concepts come and go as well as Agile / Lean development approaches. Still - I think I have seen during my career as often situations where the newest toy / technology was more an impediment to timely and high quality delivery as times where it did help.

So - GTK might have an advantage if they have to work with proven tools and technology - and as far as the staff attraction is concerned - I never heard that SAP (in Germany) has problems to find the software developers they need ...
    ----

Wow - more than $600k traded yesterday! Quite a number for GTK - and despite me having purchased some - I don't take any responsibility for this big number, somebody else seems to be interested as well ....
    ----