sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carters - IPO back on

Carters touted as an IPO this year good for you IPO addicts.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/hart-ma...rvey-cs-171033

What you buying - "All that is left of the original business is the timber products business Woodproducts (NZ and Australia) and the Carters Building Supplies outlets."

The question I would ask - Carters have been on the block for years and nobody obviously interested in buying. Why?
    Last edited by winner69; 28-03-2022 at 09:35 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Carters touted as an IPO this year good for you IPO addicts.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/hart-ma...rvey-cs-171033

What you buying - "All that is left of the original business is the timber products business Woodproducts (NZ and Australia) and the Carters Building Supplies outlets."

The question I would ask - Carters have been on the block for years and nobody obviously interested in buying. Why?
    ]
    Just WHO would buy anything that has been through the hands of Watty beats me !!

Good point. From what I can tell this is a way for Hart to exit and begs the question why a sale to a competitor was not achieved. If you are into housing and construction through a semi vertically integrated entity this might be your thing depending on how the housing market goes. If this is a pure dividend play there are better alternatives.

Will wait for documents before commenting further.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    ]
    Just WHO would buy anything that has been through the hands of Watty beats me !!
    Paper says raise a billion and with Hart keeping 30% (for now) that makes a market cap of $1.5 billion plus and no doubt some debt lest in there.

Fletchers et al obviously turned it down ......so the 'greater fools' on the market will jump at the opportunity to reclaim a piece of this 'iconic' company.

Veteran novice

Indeed, winner. CHH isn't even a shadow of the iconic company that it once was, just as Burns Philp wasn't when the same owner sold it to the market. Must admit I have a soft spot for the old CHH. Robert Holt Ltd, a middling Hawkes Bay sawmiller, was the first IPO I participated in as a newcomer to the market back in the 1960's. Subsequently merged with the Carter interests and then with Alex Harvey Ltd - which had bought can maker J Gadsden in its turn. NZ Forest Products and UE Box figured somewhere along the way with Brierleys featuring also, from memory. A lot of iconic companies involved there! But I won't be tempted into the latest model.

Quote Originally Posted by greater fool View Post
    Sheesh.... I'm yet to see the prospectus, but you've already signed me up!
    You will do OK greater fool .... they will price it such to make it tempting

What some say
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11428968

Fletcher performance shows building products not all plain sailing as Carter mulls IPO

These jokers are not stupid me thinks...would "they" risk floating a dud ???...Sure the world is awash with cash (and oil)...this could be interesting.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    these jokers are not stupid me thinks...would "they" risk floating a dud ???...sure the world is awash with cash (and oil)...this could be interesting.

yeh right !!!

there is definitely some iconic NZ business history amongst the precedents of CHH but just because it has been private and out of surveillance for a while doesn't change the clearly struggling nature of the industry.
    Are there still any trees? It was once the big forestry play ...

Only a fool would buy an asset off Hart that he's been unable to sell to anyone else. He's simply too clever to leave anything meaningful on the table in terms of IPO pricing so its unlikely I'll even bother reading the offer doc's.