sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Over the years I have put in requests for Christchurch library to purchase business books for me.Their acquisition department appear to be happy to order them.I suspect they do not have an experienced "business book" buyer. Fantastic service.
    Go back to your local library and ask them to submit a request for their acquisition department to buy it.If you have no joy,phone "the district librarian."
    Google the title,then give the library the isbn number,title and author.
    No joy.Then google the isbn number and a list of places you can order the book from comes up.
    S

Thanks Percy. I did have some joy with the library as they gave me a card to fill out and I could add the details of the book etc and they would consider ordering it. The lady serving me did say that the chance was "heightened" as they already had a book by the same author. Fingers crossed.
    Might just buy it anyway but it is good to see that the library do accept requests and recommendations from their users.

Originally Posted by moosie_900
    Here's a good article to read (and eventual book to buy) goldfish:

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine..._reviewed.html
    The best Michael Lewis book I ever read was Moneyball. Later made into a movie with Brad Pitt starring.

Great story about a baseball team but an even greater story if read in the context of value investing .... finding the hidden and unloved bargains and doing well out of them

I read Billy Beane's story every year .... and the Oakland A's are really on fire this year, more than 10 years after Lewis wrote that book
    Last edited by winner69; 26-07-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Lewis also wrote another great book in Blindside

All about Michael Oher a down and beat kid who became a star college football player ..... and years after the book and a film that Sandra Bullock ruined that kid was in a winning Super Bowl team with the Ravens

Great stuff ..... even better than Roy of the Rovers

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    Come in and see me one day Okebw, I'm upstairs on 2nd floor if not down in my dungeon working on the archives. We have quite a good selection of books. If you want to order anything I will second it for you so that it will most likely get through the system!
    I'll have to take you up on that at some stage. Though between the three I've ordered and textbook readings I'd say that day is a fair ways off