Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I am a bit slow and that went over my head. Google Spirit Level might be good if you are a tradie and not sure what links to follow.

But getting back to the worlds happiest countries, I have almost given up on zero hedge but it throws up the occasional article of interest.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...rld-first-time

Still not sure where the data is coming from but apparently it could be broken down even further. Keeping in mind this is coming from the internet and zero hedge so may be total bull hopefully Mike Shedlock has done some research before publishing the findings.

I thought it was a shame that NZ dropped out of the top ten but if you look at the data further NZ ranks #6 for those aged 60 and over.

Although on the downside for those aged 30 and under we don't even make it into the top 25. Australia made it to 19 so I guess that is why our young people are going there.

What I think the data shows is that successive governments both National and Labour pandering to baby boomers has created one of the best retirement villages in the world. All we need is enough immigrants from the Phillipines and India to ensure retirement villages are fully staffed and I think we may have reached boomer utopia.

Maybe young people want too much like a house and a family. Perhaps they should just lower their expectations, harden up and stop spending money on avocado toast.

I always thought youth was a time for optimism and enthusiasm, maybe not in NZ for some reason. Although I can't think why. Maybe they should move to a country with smaller govt and lower taxation if they are so unhappy, it seems those countries are where all the unhappy people live.
The results are a reflection of our unfair system where the baby boomers have created wealth through tax free investments whilst not paying sufficient tax to keep our infrastructure maintained.

Whereas the new generations are faced footing the bill and a very expensive property market.

NZ only 20 years ago was a relatively cheap country. The lack of courage of the various governments in that time has cost the country dearly.