sharetrader

Thread: Property Stocks

Threaded View

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Nor View Post
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'll go with PFI which was my first thought, and KPG. Snoopy you may be right that none are perfectly priced right now, but I'm thinking about what is being said about central banks likely giving up on controlling inflation and the need to be in hard assets. Not that I'm a wholesale portfolio rearranger, or even a fiddler, just for new stuff.
    Bit late for that one. They gave up controlling inflation when they broke away from the gold standard as a gold standard imposed constraints on governments.

NZ pushed it further 30 odd years ago by mandating inflation as part of the RBNZs job. The CPI inflation is not closely linked to asset price inflation. But you are right, I have read that govts won't repay their debts, or default on them, so inflation is their only other option. Adrian will be inwardly loving the 4% rate we have now.

No recommendation on property companies but read this article and thought it might be relevant. Only sentiment, though and it does not say who was surveyed.

https://www.interest.co.nz/property/...a-pacific-only

You could try the scatter gun approach and buy a bit of each. If you really believed that central banks will destroy their currencies through inflation/money printing/interest rate suppression then why not borrow against the house to buy already leveraged property companies. If the economic pundits are correct about inflation you should win in the long run as long as they have enough tenants and are not over leveraged themselves.
    Last edited by Aaron; 26-04-2024 at 04:16 PM.