sharetrader

Threaded View

Legend

Pasted from the Crown Minerals site, research from Jackie Hobbins, Newmont's Project Geologist on 4th Sept:

Indications of gold deeper on margins of Waihi gold system
    — filed under: News, Minerals
    In a paper presented to the Queenstown conference of the New Zealand branch of AusIMM she says that consistencies in the geometry of known veins and controlling faults allow predictive inferences to be made about the likely location of new vein positions in untested areas.

Geochemical and paleotemperature zonation within the Waihi vein-hosted deposits appears to be subparallel to the stratigraphy. This suggests that both stratigraphy and ore horizons are draped over a central high.

“The influence of pre-existing fault geometry and volcanic stratigraphy on the location of known veins suggest that there is untested potential in the Waihi district for vein occurrences,” she says.
    “This is both at the margins of east-north-east trending extensional basins, analogous to Martha and for north to north-east trending veins such as Favona located in fractures that are concentric or tangential to the host volcanic edifice.”

She also says that some surprising results have also been produced from low-detection geochemical analysis of soils indicating strong anomalous gold and mercury signatures directly over known veins located beneath more than 40 m of postmineral ignimbrite. More work is required to assess potential for this method.

The current Favona undereground mine was discovered in 2001 under more than 50 m of postmineral cover.

She says the total gold endowment of the Waihi epithermal vein system is estimated to be in excess of 12 million ounces, including 7.5 million ounces mined to December 2008.

Sources: Newmont Waihi Gold and Lindsay Clark
    This work seems to line up with Glass Earth's findings that placer and auriferous soil geochemistry is often resting just above, or near to, major deposits.

GEL still has (JV) prospects substantially around the Martha Mine, EP40598, 3414 Ha for minerals, until 2013.

http://www.crownminerals.govt.nz/cms...ate/CMINPSMINL

-and I'm thinking we really should be hearing how the drilling is going soon. I wonder how the McAdie prospect placer work is going?
    Last edited by elZorro; 09-09-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: To add link for EP, found name of writer