sharetrader
Page 1922 of 1941 FirstFirst ... 92214221822187219121918191919201921192219231924192519261932 ... LastLast
Results 19,211 to 19,220 of 19410

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Now my thoughts are this. I only got to retire early because I held my nose and invested in that stomach churning period from 2009 to 2013 and kept on investing.

I'm only 8 per cent NZ shares, partly because performance has been so poor relative to everything else. I never started at 8 per cent!

I do like to tinker, which almost always never works out. Nonetheless, I'm tempted to do a bit of rebalance and increase my NZ shares to 10 percent. I'd do it via Simplicity's NZ Share fund because of its very low fees.

I always have 5 per cent cash, so I might dip into that.

Just thinking out loud here.

Everything feels like such a turd sandwich in this country now.

But have we reached peak turd sandwich. I don't know.
    Like you I only have a small % in NZX. I think your fund tracks a Morningstar index so the following is not really a comparison. Nonetheless, I am of the view that the NZ20 is a better index to follow that the NZ50 and is a truer equivalent as NZ's S&P500. Even though sector composition is similar to NZ50, the number of companies are in proportion to the size of the NZ market and under performing companies are dropped faster (and vice versa). The NZ20 well outperforms the NZ50: 1.58% per annum over the last 11 years. The higher market cap companies of the NZ20 also attract more coverage and investor interest.

That's an interesting point.

Kernel Wealth like their NZ20 index I see. It appears to have performed better than the broader NZ market.

Feels like many possibly waking up to the fact that while NZ might be a great place to live, that doesn't automatically mean it will be a great place to invest?

I have naively believed this until now. But the rose-tinted glasses are off.

With the access we all have to international markets and rising migration, alternative investments, etc hard to see the trend reversing?

We already have no CGT on NZ shares and the FIF regime. What else can the Govt really do?
    BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    is that nominal or adjusted for inflation ?

Nominal, which makes it so much worse it's hard to comprehend.

Brian Gayner wrote about it a few times.

Adjust for inflation and it could be 2050 before we hit 1987, or never. The size of the market back then was huge.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Now my thoughts are this. I only got to retire early because I held my nose and invested in that stomach churning period from 2009 to 2013 and kept on investing.

I'm only 8 per cent NZ shares, partly because performance has been so poor relative to everything else. I never started at 8 per cent!

I do like to tinker, which almost always never works out. Nonetheless, I'm tempted to do a bit of rebalance and increase my NZ shares to 10 percent. I'd do it via Simplicity's NZ Share fund because of its very low fees.

I always have 5 per cent cash, so I might dip into that.

Just thinking out loud here.

Everything feels like such a turd sandwich in this country now.

But have we reached peak turd sandwich. I don't know.

It has to be said Bobdn, you are almost certainly one of the best investors in NZ and I would bet good money that you have destroyed all of the professionals by a very wide margin.

How?

By sitting on your arse.

All of these people doing all of this analysis and work and trading and god knows what else.

You just index and don't mess with the formula that you know will win out over the long term. You look at the evidence and act accordingly.

You know when you pick individual stocks it doesn't work out, so you don't. You keep it simple and stick to the rules you've set and that is that.

You don't give a crap about the news or all the pros calling for massive recessions or wars or anything.

I'd say you're within the top 1% easily.

It is a breath of fresh air.

Tried to tell my GF's Dad the same thing but he said it was too boring. I asked him if travelling the world playing the top Golf courses would be boring.

Thanks Sailor! You're too kind. Many failures along the way but I got there in the end.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 21-05-2024 at 10:52 PM.

Just asking. What does retire 'early' actually mean.

I found that going fishing, surfing, down hill mtb (golf but not for me) etc is just not the same unless it's adrenaline plus unwinding the stress.
    That's why I chucked the desk job and bought a farm. So that I can work and play.

Well done on the $$$ from investing. I will learn and get it right one day.

Retired at 51. I lead a modest life and am not wealthy by most NZ sharetrader standards. Never bored. Schedule adventures from time to time so I can talk about my adventures and sound like I'm having a productive retirement.

YouTube is an essential element of retirement as is Audible.