sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    EWT student

Default Elliott Wave Theory

I have read many references to Fibonacci ratios here on ST and perhaps a little less about Elliott Wave Theory. For my own part I have just had my eyes opened by learning the fundamentals of Elliott Wave theory. Time to modify my selection/entry/exit criteria.
    Back testing my recent trades I have been enlightened to see that my new knowledge would have kept me from some losing trades, and some marginal trades would have been much more profitable...
    What is the enlightened oppinion of others here at ST regarding the value of EWT?

From EWI recently...
    http://www.elliottwave.com/freeupdat...Bloomberg.aspx

Please post your oppinion, both in favour and against.
    Rest assured that if your post starts with "I think...", or " I believe..." or words to this effect then (no-one can) nobody should refute your comments as they are valid oppinions.

I look forward to a lively debate encompassing EWT as a part of Technical Analysis, and encourage posts from juniors through to gurus, traders and investors. I am sure many have very specific oppinions, and others are as yet unaware.

V.
    Last edited by Vtrader; 22-08-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Off topic vocabulary lesson
    Tomorrow's trades will prove me wise or otherwise

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vtrader View Post
    Please post your oppinion, both in favour and against.
    Rest assured that if your post starts with "I think...", or " I believe..." or words to this effect then no-one can refute your comments as they are valid oppinions.

V.
    To refute something means to prove it wrong. An opinion is just that and unless it is correct in fact can be refuted.

I subscribe to some EWI publications so clearly I'm a believer -
    In forex charts I see the idealized patterns occurring at all levels of degree that is on weekly charts or minute by minute charts and I sometimes use EW counts to time my trades or look for reversal patterns one of the benefits is that it often gives very clear cut off points (stop loss)

However in itself EW Theory isnt a trading strategy so even with a correct count you still need to formulate ways to apply it to trading. To take the refutation theme which fungus ripped into pretty quickly like all theories it can never be proven only disproven
    The thing is you never know whether your count is right or wrong until after the event. Good wave counters always have an alternate count ready when one of the 'rules gets broken'
    I'm keen to continue any discussion on this subject - the best wave counter around here was 'dumbass' but he seems to have gone very quiet lately

To head this thread out with a solid factual basis I'm going to type in some of the rules and post a picture from EWI with a classic ideal formation. (It should get peak oil theory discussed! )

Rule 1
    Wave 2 never retraces more than 100% of wave 1

Rule 2
    Wave 3 is never the shortest wave

Rule 3
    Wave 4 never enters the territory of wave 1

Last night I saw some pretty clear 5 wave counts on the small time frame and took some advantage of them. you can see my trades as little triangles

One of the things I find quite usefule is that RSI divergence often occurs on the 5th wave whereas in the third we generally see rsi and price moving in tandem
    Last edited by peat; 21-08-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

EWT student

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    To refute something means to prove it wrong. An opinion is just that and unless it is correct in fact can be refuted.
    FP, Was that vocabulary lesson really necessary?

The intent of my initial post was an all inclusive invitation to discuss EWT.
    I consider your post regarding literary detail to be off topic and intimidating to others.
    Please PM me if you take exception here, so an EWT discussion may evolve in a mutually beneficial manner...
    V.

EWT student

Peat,
    Thanks for your contribution to EWT.
    8 trades in 9 hours, perhaps something to learn here also... my transactions are more like 8 trades in 9 weeks...
    V.

Advanced Member

Robert Prechter is president of Elliott Wave International and has since 1979 been publishing the Elliott Wave Theorist. He is the author of multiple books related to the Elliott wave principle. As indicated by the name of his company and his newsletter, he relies essentially on Elliott wave analysis to forecast stock market behavior. Prechter has been making predictions for many years through his investment newsletter, Elliott Wave Financial Forecast. Newsletter tracker Mark Hulbert has been documenting Prechter's investment trading predictions and picks since 1985 so he now has a nearly 25 year long track record which can tell us whether you should trade on his predictions or not. Here's how Prechter's trading advice has done from 1/1/85 through 5/31/09 versus the broad U.S. stock market average (Wilshire 5000 index) according to Hulbert's analysis :-

Annualized Return: Wilshire 5000 Index + 9.7%
    Prechter's Trading Advice -15.4%

Total Return: Wilshire 5000 Index + 857%
    Prechter's Trading Advice - 98.3%

$100,000 Invested (1/1/85-5/31/09): Wilshire 5000 Index $957,100
    Prechter's Trading Advice $1,700

Source :- http://www.erictyson.com/articles/20090616

Advanced Member

Default Guru Hit Rates

Here is a recent ranking of investment gurus based on the accuracy of their "calls".

Source :- http://www.cxoadvisory.com/individual-gurus

Advanced Member

Default EW based market comments for PermaBears.

This chart shows some typical Prechter EW based comments. Judge their accuracy for yourself.

Exactly how much Elliot Wave forecast fans have lost depends on whether they actually went short the market when Prechter turned bearish. If they did, they are in a very deep hole - down 99% over the last 15 years. The stock market yielded a 398% gain over the same period.
    Source :- http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rob...ains-superbear

I utilised Elliot Wave principles intensively for almost 2 years. I found that using EW in isolation I was unable to make consistent profits. Using it to supplement my usual approach resulted in lowered profits.
    It didn't work for me - and it doesn't work for Robert Prechter!
    Last edited by Phaedrus; 22-08-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Spelling.

not sure about all your quotes Phaedrus - expect some could be out of context
    my understanding is that RP issued a major call to cover shorts and to expect upside surprises in late Feb 2009 a couple of weeks before the lows

Phaedrus seemed to kill this thread but I like to remind the Original Poster that its been 18 days since 8-Aug when I posted about the diagonal triangle on the SP500 thread (that was alerted to me by Elliot Wave International's Short Term Update) http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post314460

Market down 70 points since then = 6.25%. see attached picture since that date.

Prechter sent out his Theorist on the 10th saying 'the rally is over' and 'wedge shapes are usually terminal' the very day before the 45 point fall and all this bearishness kicked in.
    Yes stopped clocks are right twice a day... but I've noticed the monthly publication has been well timed as regards picking these type of turning points.

Maybe there is something to their analysis ??
    Last edited by peat; 26-08-2010 at 12:25 AM.