Quote Originally Posted by samdaman View Post
cheers for the reply born, heading away for the weekend the minute I leave work so I'll try get more into the intelligent investor in the down time and research some of those models you mentioned

I also had that mindset with the money I've earnt that it is money that I won't need over the year at uni and it will probably be a great learning curve through the process of researching companies and making an informed decision rather than just chucking 2 grand on a stock and hoping it goes through the roof from hype.
A good place to start looking for a good business to invest into would be ones you are familiar with. By that I mean that you shop there or use their services, the head office is just down the road, you have worked there, know someone who works there, you understand it with your engineering background, etc.

An example is that I work in logistics and supply chain. I therefore think I can understand those businesses better than the average person that isn't involved in the industry as I can see trends with companies before the results show up in their annual report. E.g. I can see Mainfreight (MFT on the NZX) and Toll (TOL on the ASX) trucks come in and out everyday and speak with their employees on a daily basis.