sharetrader
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Guru

That was thorough Sounds nice--Must say we really enjoyed our visit to see the daughter in Queenstown a while back--Id forgotten how nice the South island is--Qtown not much cheaper than Auckland though for houses so Blenheim sounds good in that sense.

Its good to be close to the rentals and the AK airport ,but in most other ways we are probably paying for stuff we dont use (like being close to the city)

Might get a camper and have a better look around down there next time (maybe winter--if things look good in winter-they must be good)

New aspiration-- Go have a better look at the South Island
    Go back to Southeast Asia and do some more touring around on a motor bike..
    Last edited by skid; 27-01-2015 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I totally agree with what you are saying mate. Its absolutely outrageous. I want a full investigation into where all the extra money is going. We were promised new efficiencies and rate decreases with the new super city not exorbitant increases !!!!!! After many years of rate increases at significantly faster than the rate of inflation they now think they're doing us a favour with rate increases of about 4% for residential ratepayers when inflation is less than 1%.
    What planet are these self serving so called "public servants" on ???????
    And so much for a lean pared down council.....so many of them with titles that mean nothing on way inflated salaries, scary . But then again, it's not "their money" and they don t have to justify so all they do is spend, spend , spend and set up more committees etc to approve council expenditure.... Could never run a business in this way and get away with it!

I really love Queenstown. A nice little schist holiday home with a good view of the lake would be very nice. Maybe we could retire there, now that's a plan
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-01-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Ball View Post
    And so much for a lean pared down council.....so many of them with titles that mean nothing on way inflated salaries, scary . But then again, it's not "their money" and they don t have to justify so all they do is spend, spend , spend and set up more committees etc to approve council expenditure.... Could never run a business in this way and get away with it!
    Legislated theft... plain and simple. They seem to have a special committee and special council promoted events for every minority group under the sun but we no longer have basic inorganic free rubbish collection, go figure ???? Well the 10 year budget arrived in the mail today asking for feedback. I'll be giving them feedback alright starting with telling bloody Brown exactly where he can shove his pet $2.5 billion dollar inner city rail loop extension...you know... the one that 99% of Aucklanders will never use. Maybe he has another mistress on the planned route ?

Anyway, sorry I digress. Lesson here for the young-un's setting goals and aspirations is every rose has its thorns.
    Buy a fancy house and get absolutely screwed on your rates bills and XXXL sized houses come with XXXL sized maintenance bills.
    Buy a fancy launch and get a "bath of bills" every year from your marine engineers and service providers as well as the aforementioned "much loved" council with their council owned marina fees
    Buy a fancy car and you guessed it, pay through the nose for spare parts and servicing costs...
    Meanwhile you work your butt off keeping all these things shiny, clean and well maintained to impress the Joneses to what effect ? Do you really think having flash stuff makes you real friends and enhances your social life ?...it'll get you a bunch of free-loading fake friends if you own a fancy launch, I can tell you that much from experience.
    Do you own these "toys" or with all their ongoing costs, time and hard work to keep them well maintained and presented, do they own you ???????
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-01-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Am a 26 year old Wellingtonian, about to move over to Van in Canada for a couple of years to live the ski/mtb life in between IT contracting/consulting. Have a fair chunk of money invested in NZ/AU that I plan not to touch or spend on sex drugs and rock n roll whilst overseas. Plan is to buy a house free hold by 35 then leverage against that to get back into the share market.

Hopefully I can come back from Canada and move to the regions at some point to fulfil my adrenaline needs - Queenstown, Wanaka, Nelson etc but definitely think I will miss all the bells and whistles of the big smoke..

Any who thats the big plan, awesome to hear all the priceless advice you all have (its great to learn from mistakes when they aren't your own )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    I considered Queenstown, its a fabulous little town. But property is very expensive, and its freezing cold for about 9 months of the year.
    Love the place even the cold(No problem for us ski bums) The only thing that's missing is the sea(Not good for us fishing freaks) unless you like only catching trout.

Legend

I considered Queenstown, its a fabulous little town. But property is very expensive, and its freezing cold for about 9 months of the year.
    I think QTown is a place to visit, have a blast for a few days, but to live? Not sure. Like anywhere, some trade-offs.

Most of the moneyed down this way are keen on Wanaka......

You're not wrong about that. the other problem is the town is full of young hooligans that come from...ahem... Australia

El Toro~

More like English and Germans, used to go there a lot when I was younger, fantastic place! Would love to own a place down there later in life!

Quote Originally Posted by dingoNZ View Post
    More like English and Germans, used to go there a lot when I was younger, fantastic place! Would love to own a place down there later in life!
    First went there in the early sixties. It was magnificent. Now like Wanaka,Hamner, and Tekapo places to avoid, sold out to tourism

westerly