sharetrader
Page 927 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 42782787791792392492592692792892993093193797710271427 ... LastLast
Results 9,261 to 9,270 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    So - why do you think it is o.k. that all New Zealanders are forking out money so that a group (of not even poor) superannuitants who happen to live in the right location can make free ferry trips to Waiheke Island and drink their coffee over there? Ridiculous scheme.
    I use my card to get the ferry across Wellington Harbour to Days Bay for my coffee

Sometimes stop off at Matiu Somes Island for a wander around

Fantastic scheme this Super Goldcard - we deserve it
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I use my card to get the ferry across Wellington Harbour to Days Bay for my coffee

I've had mine for a couple of years and haven't found a use for it yet - might have to move to the North Island.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

A great bribe for a small number of privileged people, payed by everybody. But that's what left politics is all about - isn't it?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

So - why do you think it is o.k. that all New Zealanders are forking out money so that a group (of not even poor) superannuitants who happen to live in the right location can make free ferry trips to Waiheke Island and drink their coffee over there? Ridiculous scheme.
    It is for off peak travel, usually the bus,boat has few passengers at those times. The govt. subsidy probably supports the service which in your world would not exist because few if any public transport services are profitable without a subsidy.
    You did say your taxes were supporting gold card.

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    It is for off peak travel, usually the bus,boat has few passengers at those times. The govt. subsidy probably supports the service which in your world would not exist because few if any public transport services are profitable without a subsidy.
    You did say your taxes were supporting gold card.

westerly
    Yes, that's what I said. What is your point?
    ----

Yes, that's what I said. What is your point?
    Bluntly the extremely small amount your taxes contribute to the gold scheme is not worth your effort in complaining

westerly

Bluntly the extremely small amount your taxes contribute to the gold scheme is not worth your effort in complaining

westerly
    "A penny saved is a penny earned" and many small election bribes accumulate.

Remember - Winston First is already looking for a new bribe to keep him for the next term in parliament, while we keep paying for his old bribes.

However - I agree: compared to the money Helen threw around to buy her 3 terms in power do Winston's bribes look like small fry.
    ----

"A penny saved is a penny earned" and many small election bribes accumulate.

Remember - Winston First is already looking for a new bribe to keep him for the next term in parliament, while we keep paying for his old bribes.

However - I agree: compared to the money Helen threw around to buy her 3 terms in power do Winston's bribes look like small fry.
    Apart from the Gold Card, perhaps you could list some of his old bribes we are paying for?

westerly

Apart from the Gold Card, perhaps you could list some of his old bribes we are paying for?

westerly
    Well, he promised that he is not going for the baubles of power. And than he did. I guess his election bribe was to stay away from power, but he broke his promise. Does this qualify?

But hey - you got me. I had all the other old left-wing election bribes in mind when I wrote my sentence (like interest free student loans, working for families, "free" child care for preschoolers, Nationalising of Kiwi Rail, ...)

Enough for you to justify the plural?

But hey - it is your beloved Winston, so happy to change my sentence from

"Remember - Winston First is already looking for a new bribe to keep him for the next term in parliament, while we keep paying for his old bribes. "

to:

Remember - Winston First is already looking for a new bribe to keep him for the next term in parliament, while we keep paying for his old bribe and Labours old bribes. "
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 20-01-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    ----

In many cases I believe the "cost" is worn by the party giving the discount...not the govt. So for example my dentist gives 10% disc to all gold card holders...low bus fares would be worn by city council. I hardly ever use mine but I certainly don't begrudge elderly people who have to use the bus getting a freebie...its not like its taking up rush hour seats and makes it possible for elderly people to get out and about and circulate some money into the economy by going downtown rather than just the corner dairy and triple mark up baked beans. Of course paying for W69's international cruises to Days Bay for coffee is a bit of a rort but most days he would be too sea-sick to enjoy it anyway
    A great bribe for a small number of privileged people, payed by everybody. But that's what left politics is all about - isn't it?
    Last edited by BIRMANBOY; 20-01-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz