sharetrader
Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Anyone else believe they can dampen the demand of houses in Auckland by pushing business's out of Auckland to other regions around the country? little costs and tax's everywhere making it hard for business's to sustain profits in Auckland. Seems as though they haven't really implemented this strategy.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Anyone else believe they can dampen the demand of houses in Auckland by pushing business's out of Auckland to other regions around the country? little costs and tax's everywhere making it hard for business's to sustain profits in Auckland. Seems as though they haven't really implemented this strategy.
    Who is they?

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Who is they?
    Government

It is still a very narrow-minded view on the idea but still seems there has been no implementation of this strategy. anyone thoughts?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    It is still a very narrow-minded view on the idea but still seems there has been no implementation of this strategy. anyone thoughts?
    Businesses in a particular location that rely on staff and customers to turn up to that location, will make the obvious decision. Even if they get subsidies to move, why would they if another location doesn't work for them in terms of skills, staff and customers?

I see Xero is setting up a new location in Hawkes Bay - presumably a calculated business decision (though it will reduce Mr Drury's commute time).

And to add - I worked for a very large global tech company that cancelled all working from home. They had a very good reason, too.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Businesses in a particular location that rely on staff and customers to turn up to that location, will make the obvious decision. Even if they get subsidies to move, why would they if another location doesn't work for them in terms of skills, staff and customers?

I see Xero is setting up a new location in Hawkes Bay - presumably a calculated business decision (though it will reduce Mr Drury's commute time).

And to add - I worked for a very large global tech company that cancelled all working from home. They had a very good reason, too.
    Ah yes I agree, I believe this filtering idea is not directly aimed at business's already highly established in Auckland with staff, customers, etc. I guess if they slowly engaged a lot of costs everywhere it would make it harder for the business's already established in Auckland with higher costs of production but how it would help the market is by dampen the demand for new business's that are thinking about starting up in Auckland, this could slow the demand gradually and let the supply side catch up a bit. As I said before this is quite narrow minded and would not instantly fix the crisis but would certainly take pressure off the supply side which is been mainly focused on.

Guru

Another warning of the property price bubble that has been allowed to form: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11837842

Guru

Auckland lower quartile housing is now severely unaffordable for a couple earning median incomes - even if they can save enough to be able to afford a deposit. Auckland has about a third of NZ's population. As most young Aucklanders (and others around the country) can no longer bank on using owner-occupied housing as their pension plan, is it time for the government to enable other investments to have the same tax advantages as owner-occupied housing?

"The problems that have been created in Auckland's housing market are now long-term and structural,"
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11845608

One in 4 Aussies in mortgage stress
    Yahoo7 Finance 4 May 2017

Interest rates may be at all-time lows but the number of households in mortgage stress is rising sharply.

One in four (767,000) Australian households are currently experiencing mortgage stress with just over 30,000 in ‘severe’ stress, according to Digital Finance Analytics.

The mortgage stress figure for April marks a jump of almost 100,000 households compared to March..

Read more here; https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/on...051713070.html
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    One in 4 Aussies in mortgage stress
    Yahoo7 Finance 4 May 2017

Interest rates may be at all-time lows but the number of households in mortgage stress is rising sharply.

One in four (767,000) Australian households are currently experiencing mortgage stress with just over 30,000 in ‘severe’ stress, according to Digital Finance Analytics.

The mortgage stress figure for April marks a jump of almost 100,000 households compared to March..

Read more here; https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/on...051713070.html
    I think that headline is a bit sensationalist , it is not 1 in 4 households, plenty of people rent, plenty mortgage free etc ...
    Here are some more accurate figures.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/factcheck...tralia/6442650