sharetrader
    Guru

I'm not sure I should complain that National are handing out Labour budgets - at least I get some of what I want.
    I do wonder what National would do if they didn't have any opposition to work against.
    The budget is a bit ho hum - nothing to transform the country from producing a few low value commodities and a bit of tourism.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I think Grant Robertson discussed it well on TV1 this morning, no KiwiBuild, much lower tax refund for the lowest paid, it's still a trickle-down philosophy from National. And $1mill towards climate change work. That might be the most damning part of the whole budget. What can you do with $1mill?
    Surely you can find a bit more to moan about than that eZ. Don't disappoint us.

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=dobby41;667613]I'm not sure I should complain that National are handing out Labour budgets - at least I get some of what I want.
    I do wonder what National would do if they didn't have any opposition to work against.
    What opposition? Didn't you notice that Labours Little big man when he rose to angrily respond to the Minister, yesterday, had to have a pad in his had to read his angry bit from. If that is the standard, then there are several who will tear him to bits - Winston Peters for a start.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Surely you can find a bit more to moan about than that eZ. Don't disappoint us.
    It's just another budget devoid of any big ideas to help transform NZ, as others have said here, and in the media. Another opportunity wasted. They added $1mill to climate change funding, but if the minister is still Paula '[Hyperbowl' Bennett, I'm not sure there is any point until Labour/Greens are in.

If they did take climate change seriously, they'd not be canning the electrified trains, for one. Nowadays when you drive through Hamilton outskirts you see road works everywhere, familiar roads disappearing to be replaced with massive on/off ramps, bridges seemingly to nowhere. Newsflash, Hamilton's not that much bigger than it was, the roads generally aren't clogged, what's the rush to spend billions here, when there are a lot of other govt projects and possible initiatives that could generate stronger income and more jobs for people?

There must be a very powerful road construction lobby, and big businesses are getting plenty of govt funds as well. And these grants and projects aren't in the line of $20 more a week.

Dilettante

This budget confirms National as the middle of the road and dominant mainstream party in NZ, supported by nearly 1 in 2 voters. Even EZ can´t find anything wrong except climate change policies. Great.

Oh, and complaining about infrastructure projects in Hamilton that apparently is not growing. Well, I moved from Hamilton 15 odd years ago EZ. I lived in Chedworth and had a farm next door. I was there 3 weeks ago and drove around all the new suburbs and areas in the north and northeast of the city. My ex wife and daughters still live in the same house in Chedworth and are now basically in town. How can you credibly state that Hamilton is not bigger than it was ? The Express Way is great for Waikato, BOP and Auckland
    Last edited by iceman; 27-05-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Dilettante

It was no surprise that NZ First supported National's tax adjustments (cuts) giving all workers a few extra dollars in their take home pay. But it was surprising to see the Greens vote for it but Labour voting against tax relief for lower and middle income people. Is it possible that the Greens are trying to target the very few voters Labour has left and possibly signal that they can work with National post election, after the MOU with Labour expires !!
    Watch out Labour and Winston !!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It was no surprise that NZ First supported National's tax adjustments (cuts) giving all workers a few extra dollars in their take home pay. But it was surprising to see the Greens vote for it but Labour voting against tax relief for lower and middle income people. Is it possible that the Greens are trying to target the very few voters Labour has left and possibly signal that they can work with National post election, after the MOU with Labour expires !!
    Watch out Labour and Winston !!
    There should be no reason a Green party could not coalesce with National, but the current bunch have too many members with nutty economic views. If they stuck strictly to their Kermit policies they could become a useful partner to any leading party.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    There should be no reason a Green party could not coalesce with National, but the current bunch have too many members with nutty economic views. If they stuck strictly to their Kermit policies they could become a useful partner to any leading party.
    Could happen

Shaw is slowing growing on me but he lacks real charisma to make a difference in the polls .....now if the Greens had a really charismatic leader like Trudeau or that Dutch guy whose name I cant recall just now then things would get interesting

Alas not this time around
    Last edited by winner69; 27-05-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Could happen

Shaw is slowing growing on me but he lacks real charisma to make a difference in the polls .....now if the Greens had a really charismatic leader like Trudeau then things would get interesting
    100% right with that post. Shaw is bright but will never be a leader.

"On the other side of the House, Act Party leader David Seymour immediately labelled the Working For Families increases as "communism by stealth" - echoing former Prime Minister John Key's description of the policy when Labour first introduced it in 2004."

Shows how desperate for power National is; Working for Families has now become mainstream policy,
    The unions will be back in favour soon.

westerly