sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    One-off stupidity you can understand, but this seems to have gone on over quite a period of time.

To be parachuted into an electorate, then fall out with your experienced electorate staff in such a dramatic manner seems to be the height of folly.

There seem to have been a few of these over the past few years. Perhaps the National Party needs to review their candidate selection criteria and process.

So much fuss, and so public, and so close to an election. The Donors will not be happy.
    Here are more details about how the situation unfolded.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2017/06/1...ice-the-payout

So Bill never endorsed Todd Barclay in the first place. Problems started soon after Barclay arrived as the MP, and he's been dodging the work ever since.

We've all met someone like this, they get a plum job because they're great with the BS, they otherwise aren't even good at the job, don't even want to extend themselves. This guy Todd Barclay doesn't deserve to be an MP, but from what I know, he's not the only National MP who gives lip service to the public, but in private thinks he's on another level where he shouldn't have to deal with this.

So he's lied, been very economical with the truth in other areas, avoided talking to the police, and the police didn't go and get him for questioning. What he did was illegal. Plus he's obviously a useless MP.

And worse, here's the National Party hoping to keep him as an MP until the election. They think the public won't worry about it within a week or so. It'll all blow over.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    All a load of rubbish that won't affect Nationals ability to win the next election. The vast majority of voters are contented in jobs and homes with plenty of food on the table and that's all that matters.
    I suppose honesty and integrity is too much to expect from the leader.
    They say that the culture comes from the top.

JK could lie and smile at the same time - Bill can't.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    And worse, here's the National Party hoping to keep him as an MP until the election. They think the public won't worry about it within a week or so. It'll all blow over.
    And worse he's dragged the PM into it.
    Though to be fair Bill dragged himself into it when he lied about what he knew and when he knew it.
    We done the investigation team for dragging the truth out.

As for the police - seems they drop this because the MP wouldn't cooperate but have no problems serving warrants on the media when the PM was recorded.
    Seems there are different standards that apply?

Guru

They think the public won't worry about it within a week or so. It'll all blow over.
    It will, its a beltway issue. Most people do not even know what the fuss is all about.

Legend

Here are more details about how the situation unfolded.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2017/06/1...ice-the-payout

So Bill never endorsed Todd Barclay in the first place. Problems started soon after Barclay arrived as the MP, and he's been dodging the work ever since.

We've all met someone like this, they get a plum job because they're great with the BS, they otherwise aren't even good at the job, don't even want to extend themselves. This guy Todd Barclay doesn't deserve to be an MP, but from what I know, he's not the only National MP who gives lip service to the public, but in private thinks he's on another level where he shouldn't have to deal with this.

So he's lied, been very economical with the truth in other areas, avoided talking to the police, and the police didn't go and get him for questioning. What he did was illegal. Plus he's obviously a useless MP.

I think the National party will be hoping he stands down. They can't sack him, although I think the local committee can revoke his selection for the coming election. He would have made an excellent Labour selection.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I think the National party will be hoping he stands down. They can't sack him, although I think the local committee can revoke his selection for the coming election. He would have made an excellent Labour selection.
    National's backbencher Chris was made to look a fool on TV this morning, when grilled over the issue. Jack seemed to be enjoying himself. I get the feeling he might not be a National voter. Smart guy, Jack.

A little bit of inside news: it sounds like Bill English had a friend of his set up for the candidacy, but the night before the candidates for Clutha-Southland were to be grilled, the friend pulled out because his wife wouldn't allow him to take on the job anyway. This left the way wide open for Todd Barclay, it would appear he wasn't the first choice after all.

Now there's talk of infighting in the National Party ranks, on TV. Sacrilege!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    They can sack him - withdraw his party membership.

Legend

National's backbencher Chris was made to look a fool on TV this morning, when grilled over the issue. Jack seemed to be enjoying himself. I get the feeling he might not be a National voter. Smart guy, Jack.

A little bit of inside news: it sounds like Bill English had a friend of his set up for the candidacy, but the night before the candidates for Clutha-Southland were to be grilled, the friend pulled out because his wife wouldn't allow him to take on the job anyway. This left the way wide open for Todd Barclay, it would appear he wasn't the first choice after all.

Scandalous!

Dilettante

Is that "inside" the Labour Party ? There won't be much infighting going on in the party. Blackcap is right that most people don't know what it is about. But I sure hope the electorate committee deselects him for the upcoming election, an election that National will win regardless due to no real alternative choice for voters.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    They can sack him - withdraw his party membership.
    They can't sack him from parliament, but you might be right. If they cancel his membership now I suppose that deselects him.