sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    I think the problem I've got with all the spruikers and rampers on here is that as the price of any stock gets higher, their cries that "the sky is the limit" and "this time is different" start to get deafening.

Things are going pretty well right now but airlines are a low margin business with potentially a lot of competition.

AIR is sitting pretty right now but all it took a few years ago was a couple of planes flying into a building and profit was banished from the whole industry for a couple of years.

Right now, it could be something as simple as the Auckland property market cooling off and interest rates rising slightly for the property cash machine to stop working. This might cause a few newly rich Auckland property millionaires to stop flying business class everywhere.

Or maybe with this global warming thing, airlines might stop getting a free-ride.

If either of these things were to happen, we might be back at 170 just like last time the AIR forums went crazy with thoughts of the impending rise to cruising altitude of 400 or beyond.

Anything could happen tomorrow yet we're banking on a stream of dividends 3-5 years away!?!

Low margin. Cyclical. Risky. Don't forget it.

Disc: I'm still in but every day get closer to selling.
    Nice post, anyone who has made money on AIR had paid a price for it... unless you do not concern yourself with capital preservation.

Me thinks some here could be a touch more kinder to others on the thread.... as some of the largest rampers have also been humble... at least once over the past 18 months with AIR.
    Last edited by Raz; 14-07-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Great choice Roger....its all about risk.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/h...%20Subscribers

You can get around the safety belt thing by buying a buckle that you can pop in independent of the belt.
    And yes...I have AIR shares still, am trying to figure out whether to keep or sell as they are very high, and would like to thank the Beagle and Mod and others for all the opinions and analysis expressed. Very helpful.

Enjoy your Friday...lovely here in the Far North at the moment.
    You're most welcome mate.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Default Superb customer service

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11890883
    I know it's a cliché but its the caliber of AIR's staff that make the difference.
    What's the bet that most of the people on that flight, (if nothing had of been otherwise said) would have otherwise be really scared ?

Vision over Visibility

Default Yes - Great Service Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11890883
    I know it's a cliché but its the caliber of AIR's staff that make the difference.
    What's the bet that most of the people on that flight, (if nothing had of been otherwise said) would have otherwise be really scared ?
    I was actually on this inbound Wellington flight, returning from Ho Chi Minh to WLG via AKL. As mentioned in the article, the service on this flight was excellent and the Captain did a very good job communicating before, during and after the flight to re-assure customers. He outlined that it was perfectly safe flying conditions for this aircraft and assured also that flying directly into the wind true southerly with no cross-wind actually made quite easy (I have a commercial pilot licence and my own small aircraft, can confirm this)

Once landed, he came out and greeted all the passengers warmly along with the cabin crew. Was a good touch. Funny enough, after 4 years travel to AKL each week..this was actually a relatively tame landing..... Northerly, buffeting cross wind approaches a lot more volatile. The walk to get the car from long term car-parking was more life threatening - pitch black, 50knot winds, hail, windchill factor making temp minus zero.

Air NZ service to / from Vietnam was excellent. Check-in at both ends was efficient. Given gold elite, we managed to get upgraded to Premium Economy both ways and my wife's 'gifted' upgrades went through also. In-flight service, food was great.. Unlimited champagne top-ups made sure we slept soundly!

Anyone else get nostalgia when you board an Air NZ flight from a foreign country to come home? They had 'how bizarre' from OMC playing .. made me smile

Kicking myself a little re Air shares. It was my largest holding and was quite significant. Sold out around $2.80 and made great gains over past 14 months with divies also, yet now looking at current price some weeks later with some wry smiles.. Well done to all those who still hold after the dip. Really is a solid Co. with good management team in place.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post

Anyone else get nostalgia when you board an Air NZ flight from a foreign country to come home? They had 'how bizarre' from OMC playing .. made me smile

It gets me every time I hear a kiwi accent...usually near boarding..you can go for a fair stretch... in a lot business circles overseas before you meet another kiwi....
    Last edited by Raz; 15-07-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    It get me every time I hear a kiwi accent...usually near bording..you can go for a fear stretch in a lot business circles overseas before you meet another kiwi....
    Just flew into Shanghai on Air NZ. My partner got an upgrade (she had requested one), but luckily I had a whole row to myself in economy and to top it off it was a SKY Couch. Very pleasant experience, managed to get some sleep. However I am averagely tall and it just is not good enough to be able to lay flat out and so in normal circumstances I probably would not pay for it especially if I was with my partner as it would be too cramped. Staff were exceptional and nothing else to complain about. Bit of a worry to see this flight at about 70% capacity at a guess... but that may be normal? Just an anecdote for your AIR fans

Membaa

Thumbs up

Impressive. 9 out of the past 10 months up (so far), a study in volatility and long term technical breakdowns / breakouts for the chartists.

Log Scale Monthly, 6EMA/10EMA (approximates 50/200EMA). $3.74 next technical resistance target.
    Attachment 8994

Check stops.
    BAA
    Last edited by Baa_Baa; 15-07-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Impressive. 9 out of the past 10 months up (so far), a study in volatility and long term technical breakdowns / breakouts for the chartists.

Log Scale Monthly, 6EMA/10EMA (approximates 50/200EMA). $3.74 next technical resistance target.
    Attachment 8994

Check stops.
    BAA
    Ill take that!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Just flew into Shanghai on Air NZ. My partner got an upgrade (she had requested one), but luckily I had a whole row to myself in economy and to top it off it was a SKY Couch. Very pleasant experience, managed to get some sleep. However I am averagely tall and it just is not good enough to be able to lay flat out and so in normal circumstances I probably would not pay for it especially if I was with my partner as it would be too cramped. Staff were exceptional and nothing else to complain about. Bit of a worry to see this flight at about 70% capacity at a guess... but that may be normal? Just an anecdote for your AIR fans
    Flew AKL/HK week before last. Booked late but full both ways, including PE and business. From going up there a few times in the last year, doing well on this route.

Return flight delayed substantially and diverted to Chch, and got home a day late. No fault of staff or plane, just one of those things that sometimes happen with international travel. Staff very very good.

Was waiting for accomodation etc and some of the outbound passengers were delayed out of Chch to get to Hawaii. Felt very sorry for the ground staff as some passengers getting stroppy - especially as weather related.