• Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Leveraging the investment using the investment itself as collateral? It may happen for some share investors today but I imagine nowhere to the same extent as happens with real estate.
    That's because of the N.Z. Banks conservative approach to lending. The point I was trying to make is that tax law does not distinguish, but treats shares and property equally. i.e. there is no special treatment for real estate as a class. Just borrow from a rich uncle.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    That's because of the N.Z. Banks conservative approach to lending. The point I was trying to make is that tax law does not distinguish, but treats shares and property equally. i.e. there is no special treatment for real estate as a class. Just borrow from a rich uncle.
    The definition of what is a taxable dividend would also need to be compared with what constitutes current taxable returns from property.

However in relation to CGT I understand. Perhaps the crux of “fairness” lies in real world practice and the comparison of taxes raised per $1 net return on the investment.