sharetrader
Page 229 of 314 FirstFirst ... 129179219225226227228229230231232233239279 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 3132
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    How's this. One girl at a local college picked on another pushed her to the groundand started beating up on her. A circle of kids some taking videos.A teacher also standing there.The student being beaten up begged the teacher to help. The teacher did not as they are not allowed to intervene!!!!??? World gone mad.
    I can tell you now that smacking, when used sparingly, is very effective.

I see these little sh1ts running rough shot over their parents all the time. No real boundaries, no real consequences.

Smacking was removed over night but zero training or support on what parents can do instead for effective discipline. So a lot of kids just get away with murder now and parents give in for some peace and quiet. I do think we are starting to see more and more of the social consequences of that law change.

And the law was passed to stop serious child abuse. Well, it was never going to have any impact on people who actually beat (and sometimes even murder) their kids. No evidence of serious harm on children decreasing, but the majority of good parents criminilised if they smack. And by God, sometimes these kids do need a crack on the arse to sort them out when they start getting too carried away and get ideas that listening to their parents and behaving is optional.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 28-03-2024 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo fix

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    How's this. One girl at a local college picked on another pushed her to the groundand started beating up on her. A circle of kids some taking videos.A teacher also standing there.The student being beaten up begged the teacher to help. The teacher did not as they are not allowed to intervene!!!!??? World gone mad.
    The World has gone mad. My wife came home extremely frustrated yesterday after teaching a class of 7 yo. One badly behaved boy basically disrupted teaching for the whole day. She went 3 times to talk to the Principal who was never available. Only Principal and Deputy Principals can do anything about this. My wife was not allowed to discipline him in any way except try to talk to him, but he did not listen to anything and went as far as calling her a bi**h. So one 7 yo basically ruined the day for the other 26 kids in the class as well as the teacher & teacher aid.
    The whole system is bloody useless and with our inability to discipline these kids and teach them what is not an acceptable behaviour, it will keep getting worse.
    Last edited by iceman; 28-03-2024 at 01:41 PM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I wonder if kids behaviour has steadily worsened after Sue Bradford's anti-smacking legislation was passed.
    Of course it has. That Bill has not achieved anything except a worse society. One of the things Sue Bradford said at the time was that smacking lead to further violence in the homes and pointed out to deaths of young children from beating. Well has the smacking law fixed that ??

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Of course it has. That Bill has not achieved anything except a worse society. One of the things Sue Bradford said at the time was that smacking lead to further violence in the homes and pointed out to deaths of young children from beating. Well has the smacking law fixed that ??
    Yeah, just nuts. And John Key just rammed it through from memory, no real thought to the wider implications and consequences.

And now it is hard (politically) to unravel. Can you imagine any of our politicians in any of the parties standing up and saying "We want to amend the law so parents can smack their kids" ?

The media would go nuts, and they would get crucified for it.

It would take a rare individual to put their reputation etc on the line over this, even though repealing that terrible law is something I think needs to happen.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Who cares if there are cuts. Cut as far as I am concerned and give tax cuts. The beauracracy is far too large as it stands. It can halve for all I care. Let people decide what they do with their own money. Safety net for sure, but not a lifestyle.
    What if the spending cuts were to law enforcement and administration. Forget about the state enforcing intellectual property and commercial law. I imagine dungeons and a private army to kept squatters off your properties and thieves from stripping your investments would not be cheap. The bureaucracy and legal system of the state benefits middle class enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    What if the spending cuts were to law enforcement and administration. Forget about the state enforcing intellectual property and commercial law. I imagine dungeons and a private army to kept squatters off your properties and thieves from stripping your investments would not be cheap. The bureaucracy and legal system of the state benefits middle class enterprise.
    Wrong - the bloated bureaucracy principally benefits the bureaucrats. Everyone else pay for the inefficiencies created by these overpaid civil masters.
    Last edited by Balance; 28-03-2024 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Yeah, just nuts. And John Key just rammed it through from memory, no real thought to the wider implications and consequences.

And now it is hard (politically) to unravel. Can you imagine any of our politicians in any of the parties standing up and saying "We want to amend the law so parents can smack their kids" ?

The media would go nuts, and they would get crucified for it.

It would take a rare individual to put their reputation etc on the line over this, even though repealing that terrible law is something I think needs to happen.
    I think it was Helen Clarke.
    The original aim was targeted at kids getting beaten not disciplined and then it got over cooked. Corporal punishment had already been banned in most schools by then so I'm not sure the law change made that much difference.

There has been a social breakdown since Covid where people think they could do what they want without consequences.

We bring fighting like MMA into our homes showing our kids it's alright to dive on someone on the ground and keep beating them.

Violent video games.

It's not the Government's role to be the disciplinarian or to raise kids with respect. Parents need to take that responsibility.
    Unfortunately too often teachers aren't backed up by their principal etc when an over zealous or protective parent makes a complaint.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Some of the harshest cuts are for MBIE.

Yeah sure let's not have proper forecasting on the economy, research on where lucrative industries are, small business help etc.

So dumb and ideological. I think we'll know what happens when they start tearing into the bio-security budget.

So the woke leftist journos at TVNZ actually think that the majority of NZers care about some of them losing their jobs?

And they actually believe that they held those in power to account? Most transparent government ever and one source of truth together with $55m - that’s power!

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...jobs-and-shows

Miriama Kamo. Photo: RNZ / Marika Khabazi
    "What that means for our country is that the ability to do our job disappears, as do people's ability to be heard, understood and responded to. It's a reflection of what's happening to journalism here and across the world, the implications are very concerning.

"Our job is to listen to and reflect our national identity, to enable discussion and debate, to provide platforms for people to understand issues and consider where they stand and to strengthen democracy by holding power to account."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    It's about time tax cuts came in. I just finalised my tax return for the 2023 tax year and my tax bill is far too high for my liking. Thieves the lot of them.
    My tax bill is next to nothing - aren't tax-free capital gains such wonderful things?