sharetrader

Hybrid View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I switched my Kiwisaver to the most conservative a couple of months ago from a growth fund and will switch back to a growth fund after a correction. Maybe I should just buy a section and build a house on it? I am hoping patience will help my long term net worth this time round but as each year goes past it is getting harder not to do something particularly as I am past the halfway mark of my expected lifespan.
    Mate, what happens if the correction in say 3 years does not drop the market lower than where it is now? Have a look at the chart of the DOW and you will see that it is very difficult to profit by "waiting" for a correction. Bull markets can last decades and you may be missing out on the biggest bull in History. You may not either but "waiting" for the market to fall is as dangerous as putting your money under your mattress.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Mate, what happens if the correction in say 3 years does not drop the market lower than where it is now? Have a look at the chart of the DOW and you will see that it is very difficult to profit by "waiting" for a correction. Bull markets can last decades and you may be missing out on the biggest bull in History. You may not either but "waiting" for the market to fall is as dangerous as putting your money under your mattress.
    Yes, there's a lot of truth in the old adage of "time in the market" being more important than "timing the market". The important bit is getting the stock selection "right". Stagger purchases over a period if uncertain as to timing - in a few years it won't matter much if the stocks are the right ones!

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, there's a lot of truth in the old adage of "time in the market" being more important than "timing the market". The important bit is getting the stock selection "right". Stagger purchases over a period if uncertain as to timing - in a few years it won't matter much if the stocks are the right ones!
    To be honest I will probably invest in Smart Shares and other index funds and limit individual stock selection. I think you can set up a regular automatic payment with smart shares. Seeing as the next crash is just round the corner(ha ha) I am waiting for a significant drop in the index before starting.

Permanent Newbie

To be honest I will probably invest in Smart Shares and other index funds and limit individual stock selection. I think you can set up a regular automatic payment with smart shares. Seeing as the next crash is just round the corner(ha ha) I am waiting for a significant drop in the index before starting.
    What a f**king idiot.

What a f**king idiot.
    I assumed you had 2 chances of buying in on the most significant crash - March 2020 and, a very likely crash in the coming weeks as Putin is set to invade Ukraine.

I prefer to follow old men - Buffet and Munger. Stay fully invested. No one can really time the market with consistency. You should not be so hard on yourself.