sharetrader

Hybrid View

Permanent Newbie

Thanks for the information. About the chart. The NZSX50 Index chart is the value of the 50 largest companies on the NZ exchange. I guess this is number of shares times market price of shares somehow weighted to form the NZSX50. The top graph I am not sure about what is this. Is it the volume of shares being traded with 100 being the average daily transactions.

I would have thought volume would increase as the decline increases as everyone tries to sell out but I guess if its the value of the trades rather than the quantity of shares it would decline as prices plummet.

Where would you get charts like this from. Do you rely solely on technical analysis for your trading or do you also use fundamental analysis when choosing a company to invest in.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The top graph - I am not sure about what is this. Is it the volume of shares being traded with 100 being the average daily transactions?
    It is the Momentum Oscillator. The momentum of a security is the ratio of today's price compared to the price x-time periods ago.

Where would you get charts like this from?
    Mine are prepared using MetaStock software, but most any charting package can produce charts like these.

Do you rely solely on technical analysis for your trading or do you also use fundamental analysis when choosing a company to invest in?
    In NZ I generally use fundamental analysis to select companies to invest in, using TA to time all entries and exits.

Permanent Newbie

Today could be the beginning of the next leg down. The news reports say Greece could be in a prolonged recession/depression reducing its debt. If the US, UK and other EU countries are in the same boat wouldn't that mean this fall has some way to go and company earnings expectations will need to be revised down. Reading the papers China may be due for a slow down as well. Can India and Brazil etc keep the world moving?
    For the future will we have inflation or deflation. High interest rates or low interest rates.
    Phaedrus the momentum oscillator in your graph above. I am guessing it says sell. Can you tell me when it says buy again. I need someone to ring a bell at the bottom so i can buy companies again.