sharetrader

Thread: Property Stocks

Hybrid View

Hello Aaron
    I remember in the early sixties my parents rented a 3 bdr house in a working class suburb of Wellington for £6 a week, $12. Later in the 70s as a student we had a 3 bdr central Wellington flat for $24. And at intermediate you could get 3 milkshake ice blocks for a shilling, 10 cents. These are my inflation measuring sticks. So I think that even if inflation may be bad for property companies in the short-term, long-term they must be a good investment. I'll look at your link.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Nor View Post
    Hello Aaron
    I remember in the early sixties my parents rented a 3 bdr house in a working class suburb of Wellington for £6 a week, $12. Later in the 70s as a student we had a 3 bdr central Wellington flat for $24. And at intermediate you could get 3 milkshake ice blocks for a shilling, 10 cents. These are my inflation measuring sticks. So I think that even if inflation may be bad for property companies in the short-term, long-term they must be a good investment. I'll look at your link.
    At a guess you are at least in your 60s or 70s so take my high debt, high risk inflation strategy with a grain of salt. I am not following my own advice at this stage.

I thought as you got older you are supposed to increase your fixed interest and reduced your equity exposure, in case of market crashes. I guess if March 2020 was a market crash we are in the middle of one now as a few companies are nearly back at their March 2020 lows although the drop has been less precipitous than 2020.

Hard knowing how to invest as we ponder what central banks will do, but per your inflation measuring stick cash is trash, Ray Dalio's long term debt cycle might mean we have more years of rising rates, who knows, I would not have a clue.