PDA

View Full Version : NZX (the listed company)

bunter
03-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Can't find any thread for this apparent lemon (which I hold).

Am thinking of selling.

1) Failing to thrive in great times - large and numerous new listings
2) Management distracted with their idiosyncratic views on gender quotas (and abusing their position of power foisting them on other companies)
3) In a downtrend - MA 50< MA 200.

Anyone think of a reason NOT to sell?

Balance
03-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Can't find any thread for this apparent lemon (which I hold).

Am thinking of selling.

1) Failing to thrive in great times - large and numerous new listings
2) Management distracted with their idiosyncratic views on gender quotas (and abusing their position of power foisting them on other companies)
3) In a downtrend - MA 50< MA 200.

Anyone think of a reason NOT to sell?

http://m.nbr.co.nz/article/nzx-head-markets-jumps-ship-db-95642

Read comments from readers - a monopoly bled dry by previous CEO.

RTM
03-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Interesting.....I am thinking of buying:

1) Recommendation from broker
2) Steady dividend
3) Steady share price, will never go extremely high, but neither will it go low. Match inflation perhaps ?
4) Possible takeover target of ASX ? Wild guess!
5) Effectively in a monopoly position, albeit in a small market by world standards.
But I guess the size of the market will support the sole position in the NZ market.

How many have you got ? Maybe we can do a deal ?:)

Schrodinger
03-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Interesting.....I am thinking of buying:

1) Recommendation from broker
2) Steady dividend
3) Steady share price, will never go extremely high, but neither will it go low. Match inflation perhaps ?
4) Possible takeover target of ASX ? Wild guess!
5) Effectively in a monopoly position, albeit in a small market by world standards.
But I guess the size of the market will support the sole position in the NZ market.

How many have you got ? Maybe we can do a deal ?:)

Same lets do a deal I like the downtrend.

Okebw
03-11-2014, 12:47 PM
I must admit I was quite amused when I saw the company running the stock exchange issue this announcement the other week:

https://www.nzx.com/companies/NZX/announcements/256826

bunter
On market now - help yourselves!

BFG
Dear Bunter,

You have recently started a new thread on NZX (the company). We here on the forum would like to congratulate you on engaging Balance on one of his favourite subjects. We are awarding you extra points henceforth. Any negative comments from other posters shall earn extra stars. Should Balance begin bagging Weldon/monopolies/incompetency, you will earn bonus points for every comment.

In addition, we will also be off-market transferring extra bonus NZX shares to your account for your enjoyment. Enjoy off-loading them!

Yours sincerely,

A Grateful ST User :D :D :D :D :D

RTM
03-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Same lets do a deal I like the downtrend.

Same as who ? RTM or Bunter ?

Schrodinger
03-11-2014, 01:02 PM
1.17 and we have a deal.

Same as RTM

Balance
03-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Dear Bunter,

You have recently started a new thread on NZX (the company). We here on the forum would like to congratulate you on engaging Balance on one of his favourite subjects. We are awarding you extra points henceforth. Any negative comments from other posters shall earn extra stars. Should Balance begin bagging Weldon/monopolies/incompetency, you will earn bonus points for every comment.

In addition, we will also be off-market transferring extra bonus NZX shares to your account for your enjoyment. Enjoy off-loading them!

Yours sincerely,

A Grateful ST User :D :D :D :D :D

Well may you laugh, BFG :D

But talk to anyone in the industry and ex NZX staff (when Mark Waldon was CEO) and NZX was milked like a monopoly without anything (of consequence) being ploughed back into the industry for growth.

Turning point came when he tried increasing charges for the umpteen time on the listed companies - they grouped together and threatened to take NZX for abuse of monopoly position. NZX backed down and since then, has been on anti-monopoly watchlist. NZAX was launched with gusto and exuberance - proved to be a dud just like Plus SMS as far as growth is concerned. So, where is earnings growth going to come from?

Meanwhile, NZ capital market has gone back imo and stagnate big time because of Mark Waldon (and the directors of NZX at that time) actions.

Like I say, just talk to any ex NZX staff.

Schrodinger
03-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Balance Mark is not controlling the company now.... or is he...

bunter
03-11-2014, 01:15 PM
At least Weldon wanted to make a profit.
The current guy seems more interested in social issues.

Balance
03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Balance Mark is not controlling the company now.... or is he...

No, he is not but he has milked all the upside from NZX imo and NZX has now got to play catch up with spending.

Meanwhile, have a look at his record at GeoP - shows imo he only knows how to run monopolies.

bunter
04-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Dear Bunter,

You have recently started a new thread on NZX (the company). We here on the forum would like to congratulate you on engaging Balance on one of his favourite subjects. We are awarding you extra points henceforth. Any negative comments from other posters shall earn extra stars. Should Balance begin bagging Weldon/monopolies/incompetency, you will earn bonus points for every comment.:D :D :D :D :D

My reputation, star count and NZX shareholding are static so far.

Do I get bonus points for pushing my own hobbyhorses? Let's see...

Latest gender diversity stats - just released (https://nzx.com/files/attachments/203134.pdf)

Exec summary
- There's been a slight worsening of the GD stats compared to 2013, but some signs of improvement in the most recent quarter.
- Since introducing this world-leading initiative, NZX's share price has responded as deserved and expected.

Hats off to NZX for focussing on the real issues.

Out at 1.19 yesterday. Waiting for new management.

BFG
04-11-2014, 10:16 AM
I read that report as well. Perhaps you can shed some light on it.

Does it take into account the fact that women are far and away the stay-at-homes when baby is born or that women are usually in lower paid sectors as a career choice? These are significantly distorting figures if so. The basis should be an apples-for-apples comparison (ie a sector range of say IT managers with a median and mean number without any other outside influences like those mentioned above).

Disc - I am all for equal pay for equal work and am positive towards the Labour-lite approach of the NZX in highlighting the issue without becoming overburdensome.