PDA

View Full Version : Brian Gaynor: Petrol price still too high

Beagle
13-12-2014, 12:01 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11373467

Seems to me we're being "milked" in more ways than one.
Funny how the beef farmers are doing so well with wholesale prices at the works and the price flows staright through to dramatically higher prices for a decent bit of steak at the supermarket and yet dairy prices have halved and milk goes up !!!!!

What can we do about what ostensibly amounts to blatant theft ?

nextbigthing
13-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Buy some cows Roger :)

stoploss
13-12-2014, 12:33 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11373467

Seems to me we're being "milked" in more ways than one.
Funny how the beef farmers are doing so well with wholesale prices at the works and the price flows staright through to dramatically higher prices for a decent bit of steak at the supermarket and yet dairy prices have halved and milk goes up !!!!!

What can we do about what ostensibly amounts to blatant theft ?

The farmers reckon , Fonterra make about 12 cents a litre out of milk , the retailers are the ones "creaming" it at the moment . There was a parliamentary enquiry into this from memory a while back .
The conclusion was the processor and retailer were the ones making the cash from memory . No problem with farmers making a profit for a hard days graft . However the supermarket is taking the public for a ride here .
Anyone see the queue at the Auckland food bank on Campbell live . Very sad that a staple like this is so costly . They could easily drop the price of milk to the consumer by 20 % , it is only about 2 % of their production ...wouldn't put a dent
in the P& L ...might stimulate demand which they drastically need .....

Beagle
13-12-2014, 12:43 PM
LOL NBT, kill two birds with one stone eh :)
It is sad stoploss. Dairy falls 50% and the retail price is basically unchanged. Its also a form of extortion as there's no price effective substitute product and a good intake of calcium is important to everyone, especially as you get over 50. If the price of crude had fallen 50% and there wasn't a meaningful fall in the price of petrol we'd have a riot on our hands...oh wait, it has too.
I'm buying some cows, an electric car and moving to the country :)

noodles
13-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Nope. Dairy Farmers are being squeezed ATM. Better to buy FSF.

nextbigthing
13-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Nope. Dairy Farmers are being squeezed ATM. Better to buy FSF.

I thought they got the milk from the cows?

Regardless, might be a good time to buy some cheap cows and put them on the lawn in Parnell.

noodles
13-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Regardless, might be a good time to buy some cheap cows and put them on the lawn in Parnell.
Good idea. JK might get upset though?

It is ironic, but as the international wholesale cost of milk drops, FSF increases their profit.

fungus pudding
13-12-2014, 02:25 PM
The farmers reckon , Fonterra make about 12 cents a litre out of milk , the retailers are the ones "creaming" it at the moment . There was a parliamentary enquiry into this from memory a while back .
The conclusion was the processor and retailer were the ones making the cash from memory . No problem with farmers making a profit for a hard days graft . However the supermarket is taking the public for a ride here .
Anyone see the queue at the Auckland food bank on Campbell live . Very sad that a staple like this is so costly . They could easily drop the price of milk to the consumer by 20 % , it is only about 2 % of their production ...wouldn't put a dent
in the P& L ...might stimulate demand which they drastically need .....

What's wrong with demand? I'm not sure how you figure that stimulating demand would drop the price. Anyway, they're hardly pouring it down the drain.

Beagle
13-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Formal commerce commission complaint about the price of milk might do some good ? Anyone like to take up the challenge ? (I'm a bit out of gas after beating up on Norah all year lol).

stoploss
13-12-2014, 04:13 PM
What's wrong with demand? I'm not sure how you figure that stimulating demand would drop the price. Anyway, they're hardly pouring it down the drain.

Demand has dried up like a cow !!! Russian boycott, chinese not buying at the auctions ..if there was more demand the whole milk powder price surely wouldn't be down circa 50 % from the highs ...
I am saying if they dropped the price for liquid milk to NZ consumers( instead of current extortion ) it might stimulate some demand .

Beagle
13-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Demand has dried up like a cow !!! Russian boycott, chinese not buying at the auctions ..if there was more demand the whole milk powder price surely wouldn't be down circa 50 % from the highs ...
I am saying if they dropped the price for liquid milk to NZ consumers( instead of current extortion ) it might stimulate some demand .

It would, no question about it. One nice couple I know that work with poor families in South Auckland tell me many families now see milk as a luxury, how sad is that ????

percy
13-12-2014, 04:48 PM

Classic.Made my day.!!! lol.
And to think I read somewhere, someone thought sharetrader had become boring,and no fun.

percy
13-12-2014, 04:49 PM
It would, no question about it. One nice couple I know that work with poor families in South Auckland tell me many families now see milk as a luxury, how sad is that ????

I just hope they don't regard KFC as a staple?!

minimoke
13-12-2014, 05:38 PM
It would, no question about it. One nice couple I know that work with poor families in South Auckland tell me many families now see milk as a luxury, how sad is that ????well I've just been out and bought 12 litres for $18 which I reckon is Ok.but maybe I'm out of touch

Vaygor1
15-12-2014, 10:19 AM

New Zealand is the only country in the world where you can get milk from Bulls. :cool:

Beagle
16-12-2014, 06:06 PM
well I've just been out and bought 12 litres for $18 which I reckon is Ok.but maybe I'm out of touch

That's not bad for rip off N.Z. BUT you can regularly buy milk for $1 a litre in Australia on special. Even in London my nephew tells me who has just come back tells me its cheaper there even doing the currency conversion thing, go figure. Fonterra must think they have the right to not only milk all the cows in N.Z. but all the customers too !!!!

Minerbarejet
16-12-2014, 06:42 PM
New Zealand is the only country in the world where you can get milk from Bulls. :cool:And Britain is the only country in the world where you can get seamen from Cowes