PDA

View Full Version : ETFs and passive funds for beginners...

MJA
15-01-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm an absolute beginner in the world of investing, and I'm thinking that a passive fund/ ETF would be a good idea to start with. Any suggestions? I've had a look at the Smartshares ETFs. I'd also consider an actively managed fund but I'm not sure how to choose one. I have about $5,000 to invest.

Okebw
15-01-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm an absolute beginner in the world of investing, and I'm thinking that a passive fund/ ETF would be a good idea to start with. Any suggestions? I've had a look at the Smartshares ETFs. I'd also consider an actively managed fund but I'm not sure how to choose one. I have about $5,000 to invest.

The smartshare EFTS are pretty pricey considering how little effort is actually put in by the managers.
Personally I prefer the ASX listed vanguard funds for diversifiction. You get a lot more choice as well as a much smaller management fee

Harvey Specter
15-01-2015, 10:27 PM
For $5k, might not be worth the effort to look at the cheaper overseas EFTs.

My recommendation:
- buy one of the smart shares.
- set up a monthly deposit (how many listed shares can you do that with. One of their best features imho)
- start monitoring the market
- as your investment grows, consider if you want to take an active or passive approach. If still passive, consider some of the overseas funds (either active or passive). (Passive doesn't mean you do nothing, you still need to consider the best fund to be in.)

MJA
16-01-2015, 06:41 AM
For $5k, might not be worth the effort to look at the cheaper overseas EFTs.

My recommendation:
- buy one of the smart shares.
- set up a monthly deposit (how many listed shares can you do that with. One of their best features imho)
- start monitoring the market
- as your investment grows, consider if you want to take an active or passive approach. If still passive, consider some of the overseas funds (either active or passive). (Passive doesn't mean you do nothing, you still need to consider the best fund to be in.)

Thanks for your response Harvey. Can you tell me why you think it's not worth the effort to look overseas with $5k, and at what point it would be worthwhile?

MJA
16-01-2015, 07:10 AM
The smartshare EFTS are pretty pricey considering how little effort is actually put in by the managers.
Personally I prefer the ASX listed vanguard funds for diversifiction. You get a lot more choice as well as a much smaller management fee

Thanks Okebw. I have done some reading about these funds, yes the management fees are considerably lower. Sorry for my ignorance - what is the best way to invest in these from NZ? are there any tax implications? Thanks

Harvey Specter
16-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Brokerage will be higher and complexity of setting up overseas broker from outside of country. Depends how much you will be investing going forward though - if $4k a month, do it.

Plus forex movements

MJA
16-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Brokerage will be higher and complexity of setting up overseas broker from outside of country. Depends how much you will be investing going forward though - if $4k a month, do it.

Plus forex movements

Ok, thanks. What about other index funds in NZ, there doesn't seem to be too much information or comment on these, ASB Easygrowth fund etc. Is Smartshares the best option?

Jay
16-01-2015, 01:25 PM
You should be able to purchase Aus based EFT's thru your NZ online broker - ASB and ANZ (Direct Broking) have recently allowed these now.

MJA
17-01-2015, 06:03 PM
You should be able to purchase Aus based EFT's thru your NZ online broker - ASB and ANZ (Direct Broking) have recently allowed these now.

Thanks Jay. I've had a look at the ANZ Direct Broking on the website, the only ETFs seem to be Smartshares funds - do you know of any others? Thanks

blackcap
17-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks Jay. I've had a look at the ANZ Direct Broking on the website, the only ETFs seem to be Smartshares funds - do you know of any others? Thanks

Try this link for ASX based ETF's which you will be able to purchase via the ANZ direct broking website...

http://www.asx.com.au/products/etf/managed-funds-etp-product-list.htm

Click on the ETP link for their exchange traded funds. Cheers.

MJA
19-01-2015, 09:01 PM
OK, found it, I've had a bit more of a thorough look, thanks for your help blackcap.