PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Pacific Edge thread?

AndyLP
22-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Is it just me?

Baa_Baa
22-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Gone it seems, doesn't come up on search either.

AndyLP
22-02-2015, 03:12 PM
In football when there's too many red cards they call off the game..

Crystal Ball
22-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Gone it seems, doesn't come up on search either.
Yep, I have just had a wee look. Maybe it's too volatile and even with warnings, maybe the moderator has got fed up and pulled it. Seems like the Bears have finally done it ....

hilskin
22-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Why hasn't a certain person been completely removed rather than the whole thread ? This same person is trolling other threads trying to wind people on the pretense that he/she is trying to bring balance to the conversations, yeah right. The person is a complete trolling tosser and brings up the same dribble over and over and over. Be gone with the troll I say........... I guess that means I'm now banned, oh well been dying to say that for years and the mods have done nothing.

jonu
22-02-2015, 03:54 PM
When the Snakk thread was pulled I started a thread called "Where did the Snakk thread go?"

Some wag said we should be careful lest we have to start a thread called "Where did the Snakk thread go?, thread go?"

I am bemused at the way the moderating works on this site. If there is a need to pull a thread or ban someone for obnoxious behaviour, why not put up a sticky for a few days explaining why? People and threads just disappear without explanation. It's like a Sth American Republic in the 80s.

skid
22-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Well snaps -I gotta say ,when I went back(good thing I did it then)and read from 14months ago-you were the only one who called it.
Meanwhile coutta1 has referred to it as forumitus and he works in the old folks (Alzheimers?) industry:)

Perhaps we should think of this as our 12 step program---our bucket of cold water:)

winner69
22-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Just as well you read the whole thread yesterday skid ....maybe you can summarise for us

winner69
22-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Wonder if external forces asked for it to be deleted?

Baa_Baa
22-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Is this the room for arguments, LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
:eek2:

skid
22-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Just as well you read the whole thread yesterday skid ....maybe you can summarise for us

I was going to post some of the more memorable predictions ,but decided it would be in bad taste--so in the end i just advised those that were new to have a read to get perspective.:)

.........no you didnt..

winner69
22-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Read the first post of this thread and though OMG ...PEB has been DELISTED from the NZX

Vince
22-02-2015, 05:13 PM
It's deleted, - Sick of the constant complaining, whinging, name calling, teenage behaviour, - seriously had enough!.

If anyone else whinges about moderators or other members expect it to be your last post!

Vince

Vince
22-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Well I think it is a totally rubbish way to run an internet forum - delete me if you like!
As you wish!

winner69
22-02-2015, 05:51 PM
It's deleted, - Sick of the constant complaining, whinging, name calling, teenage behaviour, - seriously had enough!.

If anyone else whinges about moderators or other members expect it to be your last post!

Vince

Well, I think you are being a bit precious here Vince

This sort of reads like a post on the offending thread

Yes, this is a whinge

stoploss
22-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Vince

if people want to behave like that , by all means give them a yellow , then a Red card .Feel free to delete their offending post .
However , deleting an entire thread is a rather drastic measure .
I see each thread as a resource . It's a bit like finding a good stock amongst the thousands listed.
On each thread there are valuable posts/ sensible posters/ informative posters & obviously a lot of CRP, it's our job to sift through the resource .
Pointless coming on here if there are no threads to " research"

emveha
22-02-2015, 06:22 PM
On each thread there are valuable posts/ sensible posters/ informative posters & obviously a lot of CRP, it's our job to sift through the resource .
Pointless coming on here if there are no threads to " research"
Exactly, I found the old PEB thread quite useful. Pros and cons were clearly exposed, giving me enough information to make an informed decision (I bought a few).

But all is not lost. After all, isn't this the new PEB thread?

Beagle
22-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Well here's my 2 cents worth.

I'd imagine being a moderator on here would be a thankless and frustrating / exasperating thing to do.
It isn't an unreasonable expectation that people would post in a mature and responsible way on an investment forum.

Lets remember a few things.

1. We all get a lot out of this forum, we learn a lot and it helps us with our investment skills AKA we make money from this forum.
2. It doesn't cost us anything in the way of expected or required annual fees or membership.
3. The site isn't riddled with heaps of advertising like some sites are.
4. Public disdain for moderators will get you banned on almost any forum

Please guys can cool heads prevail ? I'd really miss people like Winner 69 if he's gone for good.

pierre
22-02-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm pleased that some action has been taken at last to shut down the over the top comments and personal abuse that's been occurring on the PEB thread.

The only problem is that the action itself has been a bit over the top. Shutting down the thread impacts negatively on the majority of posters who play the ball and not the man. Surely it can't be hard to identify the problem participants, warn them, then ban them if they don't shape up.
I fail to see how anything is gained by shutting down a thread that contains a great deal of useful data and comments that has been contaminated by the intemperate comments of a few.
Please can we have PEB back, but preferably without the BS postings of recent times.

Crystal Ball
22-02-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm pleased that some action has been taken at last to shut down the over the top comments and personal abuse that's been occurring on the PEB thread.

The only problem is that the action itself has been a bit over the top. Shutting down the thread impacts negatively on the majority of posters who play the ball and not the man. Surely it can't be hard to identify the problem participants, warn them, then ban them if they don't shape up.
I fail to see how anything is gained by shutting down a thread that contains a great deal of useful data and comments that has been contaminated by the intemperate comments of a few.
Please can we have PEB back, but preferably without the BS postings of recent times.
I agree with you Pierre, please Vince, why don t you just ban those OTT posters for their persistent and blatant disregard of other people's opinions? Why should an informative thread have to be deleted in its entirety because of the actions of a few? This thread has been insightful and what a shame to lose it. I for one read the thread from the very beginning many months ago and have found it to be so insightful. Please reinstate it, I am sure I am speaking for many.
thanks, and in hope, CB

Vince
22-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Roger, Pierre, Crystal - fair enough, threads back!
Vince

iceman
23-02-2015, 02:54 AM
Thanks for this post Roger. Thanks also Crystal Ball & Pierre for logical and successful posts and thanks to Vince for listening.
I agree with the numerous posters who talk about giving yellow and red cards rather than deleting whole threads with lots of valuable information on them.

KW, the deleted member I miss the most is SparkyTheClown. We lost a lot of very good information when all his posts got deleted, which was a real shame !

Well here's my 2 cents worth.

I'd imagine being a moderator on here would be a thankless and frustrating / exasperating thing to do.
It isn't an unreasonable expectation that people would post in a mature and responsible way on an investment forum.

Lets remember a few things.

1. We all get a lot out of this forum, we learn a lot and it helps us with our investment skills AKA we make money from this forum.
2. It doesn't cost us anything in the way of expected or required annual fees or membership.
3. The site isn't riddled with heaps of advertising like some sites are.
4. Public disdain for moderators will get you banned on almost any forum

Please guys can cool heads prevail ? I'd really miss people like Winner 69 if he's gone for good.

squirrel
23-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Is it just me?

It has Spacifically gone over the Edge!:scared:

Vaygor1
23-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks for this post Roger. Thanks also Crystal Ball & Pierre for logical and successful posts and thanks to Vince for listening.
I agree with the numerous posters who talk about giving yellow and red cards rather than deleting whole threads with lots of valuable information on them.

KW, the deleted member I miss the most is SparkyTheClown. We lost a lot of very good information when all his posts got deleted, which was a real shame !

Just a clarification:

My pretty clear understanding is that SparkyTheClown didn't get deleted, but withdraw from ST. I am pretty sure he was sad to go but couldn't contribute any longer to just about any forum similar in nature to Sharetrader, and for some very good and personal reasons that shall remain confidential.

Regarding the deleting of all his posts, my understanding is that this occurred at SparkyTheClown's own request and Vince kindly carried out his wishes.

If anyone out there knows any different and I am mistaken somehow, then I apologise in advance.

samdaman
23-02-2015, 10:57 PM
I'm not 100% sure how the whole system works whether your posts are deleted when your banned or if you just get a banned tag but is winner 69 banned? I generally found him one of the most helpful people on this site. When I first got here he spent ages teaching me the ins and outs of different valuation methods. It'll be a bummer if his little musings are gone from the site now.

Biscuit
24-02-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm not 100% sure how the whole system works whether your posts are deleted when your banned or if you just get a banned tag but is winner 69 banned? I generally found him one of the most helpful people on this site. When I first got here he spent ages teaching me the ins and outs of different valuation methods. It'll be a bummer if his little musings are gone from the site now.

Totally agree, hopefully not banned forever...?

skid
24-02-2015, 10:51 AM

I doubt if he is banned for to long--He decided to lock horns with Vince,which i suppose is not always going to end well..but like Arnie said......

And giving credit where credit's due -I was glad to see the reputation marks brought out in the open (put paid to the behind the back sniping)

Vaygor1
24-02-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm not 100% sure how the whole system works whether your posts are deleted when your banned or if you just get a banned tag but is winner 69 banned? I generally found him one of the most helpful people on this site. When I first got here he spent ages teaching me the ins and outs of different valuation methods. It'll be a bummer if his little musings are gone from the site now.Totally agree, hopefully not banned forever...?

I hope you are both right Satan and Samdaman.

Still, and in addition to Roger's wise words earlier in the thread, when it comes to long term commenters/posters on any website/blog/forum, the pretty much universal rule is that one's tenure counts for nothing. It doesn’t give anyone license to get away with more, or have moderation staff look the other way.

I am not inferring in any way that those involved in recent events have done the right/wrong thing or have been hard done by, or not. But recent events should serve as a reminder to us all that if in doubt we should err on the side of caution before hitting that Submit button.

Biscuit
24-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Yes, I agree Vaygor1. I think that before hitting "submit" one should imagine that you are sitting across the table over a beer with the people you are communicating with, rather than holding an anonymous conversation. I would be concerned though, if long-term posters were lost from the forum and hopefully that isn't the case.

Hoop
24-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Roger, Pierre, Crystal - fair enough, threads back!
Vince

One big thing I like NZ for as opposed to the likes of North Korea is that us small people have the freedom and right to speak our mind about the behaviours of the hierarchical powers that govern us without the threat of suddenly going missing and never seen again...
So...Vince... what now about Winner 69 and Blackknat whose crimes they committed are the freedom of speech and protest....

Beagle
24-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Yes, I agree Vaygor1. I think that before hitting "submit" one should imagine that you are sitting across the table over a beer with the people you are communicating with, rather than holding an anonymous conversation. I would be concerned though, if long-term posters were lost from the forum and hopefully that isn't the case.

A very sensible approach.

skid
24-02-2015, 03:00 PM

Dang! and all this time Ive been hitting the ''post quick reply button'':)

Biscuit
24-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Dang! and all this time Ive been hitting the ''post quick reply button'':)

Oh, the three button options on my browser are "submit", "dispute" and "smite". You need to upgrade your browser.

blobbles
24-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Recommend thread deletion, this one only serves for pointless discussion now and confusion for newbies.

skid
24-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Except for peoples viewpoints on the banning issue and those who have been banned...could be relabeled I suppose

Hoop
24-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Recommend thread deletion, this one only serves for pointless discussion now and confusion for newbies.
Why remove the thread of how 2 members got banned forever and what they did to deserve that...This is sharetrader history..
The banning of a member (Winner69) :
...........After 14 years with the most posts ever (over 10,000)...the second poster Percy with 6601 posts is now No 1..
...........Hovered between 1st and 2nd in the Reputation ranks out of 3490 members...(was over 4000 members a few months ago)

I keep reading those two posts ..and still can't believe the severity of Black knat and Winner69 punishments.....I feel very sad...this is a very dark day for me...

Xerof
24-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Just back from 4 days at Orua Bay to find this muddle.

I can't believe W69 and black knat have been banned permanently. If their last posts were the cause, might I suggest the punishment doesn't fit the crimes.

Mods, please tell me they're off for 3 days or a week maximum? Please reconsider if not. Thanks

ps, I was 'guru' with over 3,000 post count when I left last week....I seem to have lost more than 2 good posters...

Crystal Ball
24-02-2015, 07:36 PM

I can't believe W69 and black knat have been banned permanently. If their last posts were the cause, might I suggest the punishment doesn't fit the crimes.

Mods, please tell me they're off for 3 days or a week maximum? Please reconsider if not. Thanks
Have to agree Mods, they were being a bit bolshy to you, but not really slinging mud about anyone else.....please think about reinstating, we do enjoy and value most of their imput.

psychic
24-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Totally. Please review MOD's. A huge loss to the forum.
Wonder how many had either W69 or BK on ignore? How many had blocked the antagonists?

skid
24-02-2015, 07:48 PM

ps, I was 'guru' with over 3,000 post count when I left last week....I seem to have lost more than 2 good posters...

I dont remember hearing they were banned permanently--who said that?

from what I have seen 3 days is the common ''wake up call'' lets not jump to conclusions..

Xerof
24-02-2015, 07:55 PM

from what I have seen 3 days is the common ''wake up call'' lets not jump to conclusions..

What don't you understand from Vince's post re whinging?

Hoop
24-02-2015, 08:01 PM

I said that...Vince's quote expect it to be your last post! My interpretation of the words "last post" seems very final to me....

It was very clearly stated by Vince and Winner whinged

see below

Vince

Well, I think you are being a bit precious here Vince

This sort of reads like a post on the offending thread

Yes, this is a whinge

Crystal Ball
24-02-2015, 08:28 PM
I said that...Vince's quote expect it to be your last post! My interpretation of the words "last post" seems very final to me....

It was very clearly stated by Vince and Winner whinged

see below
Pretty clear to me.....

Baa_Baa
24-02-2015, 09:06 PM
STMOD can do whatever he likes, it's his site. If he wants us all to be civil, just be civil? If he wants us to stop baiting him, just stop it. That's not asking too much IMO.

What happens is that the constructive posters that add value get the collybobbles and are booted off or get the pip and decide to leave, and the others that begin with counterpoints and end with personal derision eek out their meagre bans and return.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that there were 4790 or so members around the time that I did the stockpicking summary analysis (Dec'14) and now there's 3490. That's a lot gone, maybe it's a purge, although there are still a heck of a lot of registered members who have 0 posts.

FWIW, I do hope W69 and DK and any other banned or departed constructive members come back, or are restored, or unbanned, or undeleted, whatever the circumstance. Purgatory is a lonely place. ST is the better for having them.

BAA

jonu
25-02-2015, 08:50 AM
When the Snakk thread was pulled I started a thread called "Where did the Snakk thread go?"

Some wag said we should be careful lest we have to start a thread called "Where did the Snakk thread go?, thread go?"

I am bemused at the way the moderating works on this site. If there is a need to pull a thread or ban someone for obnoxious behaviour, why not put up a sticky for a few days explaining why? People and threads just disappear without explanation. It's like a Sth American Republic in the 80s.

This is the comment I copped a ban for, before Vince's warning statement about whinging. The message I received said it was a one week ban but it has apparently been reduced to 3 days. I thought most of my post was constructive criticism, and admittedly a bit tongue-in -cheek/smartarse with the Sth American comment.

I like this site, but if I'm banned again for posting this I'm gone and won't be back. I've never been nasty to anyone here - cheeky maybe - but not nasty, and think a healthy forum should be open to criticism.

Mods/Vince - Welcome your comments

Biscuit
25-02-2015, 10:20 AM
seems to me, this forum just hit a brick wall

skid
25-02-2015, 05:58 PM
seems to me, this forum just hit a brick wall

You guys are not allowing for Vince (and the others)decision to adjust the punishment(as in Jonu's case)
Remember your high school teacher who came on really strict at first and then lightened up a bit once the students were in line.
Winner will be back (in some shape or form:) )--judging by the posts about him--a battle hardened fellow like winner will survive (despite the whip marks):)

davflaws
26-02-2015, 12:18 PM
A permanent ban would be a disproportionate response

samdaman
26-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Where all the vets go. The RSA

MAC
26-02-2015, 01:22 PM
If everyone is leaving, where are they going? Where's the hip new ultra cool hangout for veteran share traders?

It all seems to be going into offline PM groups.

Some I think who spend many hours of their valuable time each week researching just can't be bothered sharing key information and analysis anymore with undeserving internet trolls.

It's not just an ST forum thing, it's a theme on another site that I frequent also, shame really that just an unrepresentative few can make it unrewarding for so many others to openly share.