PDA

View Full Version : Selling a single share

Jantar
07-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Yes, I know it can be done, but why would anyone do that?

I noticed today a lot of very small transactions in HNZ. Three transactions involving a single share and 10 or more transactions of less than 20 shares. With the cheapest brokers charging a miniumum of $30 per trade why would anyone sell a single share for $1.30 or less? Either they are paying $28.70 to give away a single share, or there is a broker out there somewhere who charges on a simple percentage basis with no minimum fee.

Similarly, why would anyone buy a single share? They would be paying $31.30 for a share worth $1.30. Or again, is there a broker who is cheaper than the cheapest listed?

Doesn't the NZX also charge a minimum fee for all on market trades?

stoploss
07-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Yes, I know it can be done, but why would anyone do that?

I noticed today a lot of very small transactions in HNZ. Three transactions involving a single share and 10 or more transactions of less than 20 shares. With the cheapest brokers charging a miniumum of $30 per trade why would anyone sell a single share for $1.30 or less? Either they are paying $28.70 to give away a single share, or there is a broker out there somewhere who charges on a simple percentage basis with no minimum fee.

Similarly, why would anyone buy a single share? They would be paying $31.30 for a share worth $1.30. Or again, is there a broker who is cheaper than the cheapest listed?

Doesn't the NZX also charge a minimum fee for all on market trades?

The person on the bid is likely trying to buy more and will get them over time from other sellers , or move the order up to complete for the one trade fee.
As to the sellers , institutions can load to say 50,000 shares as a single order and fee, the trade order machine will break it up and feed it into the market in odd parcels , so they are not paying per share, just per the one trade for a block of shares no matter how much the machine breaks it up .
Very frustrating if you do get hit for 1 share in a rather illiquid stock and can't complete any more at a reasonable price ..... broker wasn't sympathetic to my plight ......