PDA

View Full Version : Safe Harbour In A Storm

Beagle
16-07-2015, 12:40 PM
I think most of us realise "the proverbial" is pretty much in the early stages of hitting the fan with the N.Z. economy so I thought rather than debate the obvious lets talk about safe harbours in a storm, a storm that could last several years.

Idea's.

1. Exporters that don't rely on the N.Z. economy much and will benefit strongly from a much lower $kiwi e.g. SCL, DGL
2. Needs based business's that keep trucking based on need not economic conditions e.g. RYM, MET
3. Industrial / Commercial Property REIT's with strong tenants, long leases and low debt level's e.g. GMT
4. Cash. Cash is king but keep it in Kiwi dollars or something else ?

Lets share and debate your best idea's.

blockhead
16-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Tourism is still ticking along pretty well, THL, AIR or buy the freehold of a good motel ?

robbo24
16-07-2015, 12:52 PM
I think most of us realise "the proverbial" is pretty much in the early stages of hitting the fan with the N.Z. economy so I thought rather than debate the obvious lets talk about safe harbours in a storm, a storm that could last several years.

Idea's.

1. Exporters that don't rely on the N.Z. economy much and will benefit strongly from a much lower $kiwi e.g. SCL, DGL
2. Needs based business's that keep trucking based on need not economic conditions e.g. RYM, MET
3. Industrial / Commercial Property REIT's with strong tenants, long leases and low debt level's e.g. GMT
4. Cash. Cash is king but keep it in Kiwi dollars or something else ?

Lets share and debate your best idea's.

US Dollars :D (or gold bullion, which is priced on USD if you want to go short NZD and long gold)

NZSilver
16-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Rym/met/sum could suffer with housing bubble? I know some say yes, others no.

I think cash is good at this time, I know it's return is low but so is inflation. Gives you the ability to buy when assets go on sale. Shares/property ect.

Property outside akl? Possibly good with low interest rates. Would like others thoughts?

Stocks. Infrastructure? POT,
Or medical stocks On ASX. Also technology/software stocks who "export" their software overseas. However shock to nzx/ASX could bring all stocks lower - therefore cash? As long as banks don't fail...

cloggs
16-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Glad you started this thread Roger. I had a big ruthless sell off last week and am now 50% cash. The stocks I kept are (mainly industrial) REITs in NZ and Australia, a couple of gold miners, a couple of retirement home operators, a debt collector/lender of last resort, and a few strays like AIR, PEB, HNZ.

Over the last few months I got into REITs like for their long leases and good tenants, Gold because the Aussie gold price is good and traditionally it is a safe haven, retirement homes seem to weather recessions better than others, and debt collectors seem to get busy in times of recession as well.

LAC
16-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Hi,
If inflation is low and OCR drops a bit, would that mean bank stocks would be a good bet? I would assume people will start to take more loans for buying property? Is that how it works or have I got this wrong?

axe
16-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Dairy price falling seems to be dragging the NZD vs USD down with it. Look at exporters not exposed to dairy that will benefit from the lower currency.
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=USD&view=1Y

I am watching DIL, FPH, SCL and XRO, the performance of which will hopefully not be negatively influenced by NZ economic performance but directly benefit from lower NZD.
(disc hold SCL directly - have indirect exposure to FPH)
Also watching NCM over on the ASX (gold should rally if SHTF globally)
PFI is my pick of the property stocks locally. Is very boring. I recommend reading their annual report. It was almost as good as scales (disc hold)
I avoid any property stock with too much exposure to retail.
RYM I think will be the pick of the retirement stocks. Best in breed and what not. (disc do not hold directly but have indirect exposure)

Market does look fully priced currently, but at least not in a bubble such as ALK property market. Bubbles can pop.

troyvdh
16-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Lac...me thinks you are on to it...low interest rates...higher house sails...US economy emerging ...Modi in India doing the right thing...folk over playing Chinese sharemarket issues....cheap oil ...the only dark spot being dairy...
-Chinese/Russians building a 100000 cow "farm" in China for Russia only (what 28$B)
-Gina R over the ditch getting into dairying
-the yanks pouring the stuff away..and I believe producing the stuff cheaper than us...

So I would say full steam ahead...oh yes...a tsunami of cash heading our way soon...we kiwis should buy our own stuff quick....

Last place would be cash...

Nasi Goreng
16-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Banks generally make more money when interest rates are high... this is because loan rates can be higher... also during the good times, less clients default.

US bank share prices have gone up over the last 12 months and probably continue to go up because they are expecting rate increases... higher rates, equals good times for banks.

Mista_Trix
16-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Tourism is still ticking along pretty well, THL, AIR or buy the freehold of a good motel ?

More and more hotels/motels are coming up for sale, especially with the Massive Disruptor that Airbnb is.
I'm 32 and all of my friends travel through that network - only time any of us use a hotel/motel is through work, but surely that will catch up, its just so much cheaper for a personalised experience.

I don't think they're a safe bet at all.

troyvdh
16-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Airbnb...?

Mista_Trix
16-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Airbnb...?

Seriously?? Fine if so :)
https://www.airbnb.co.nz/

The Uber of the accommodation world. You stay in someone's home, all the financial transactions are taken care of and held by the website with $1m in insurance to the hosts just in case, combined with a TradeMe like reputation system for both the host and the traveler. A lot of first home buyers I know are buying two bedrooms (with partners) near the CBD and renting out the second on Airbnb occasionally to help subsidise the mortgage.

En mass crowdsharing technologies are the boss, and industry disrupting on a massive scale.

Beagle
16-07-2015, 04:28 PM
US Dollars :D (or gold bullion, which is priced on USD if you want to go short NZD and long gold)
Yep I hold some silver but to be honest its been a terrible performer to date.

Rym/met/sum could suffer with housing bubble? I know some say yes, others no.
I think cash is good at this time, I know it's return is low but so is inflation. Gives you the ability to buy when assets go on sale. Shares/property ect.
Property outside akl? Possibly good with low interest rates. Would like others thoughts?
Stocks. Infrastructure? POT,
Or medical stocks On ASX. Also technology/software stocks who "export" their software overseas. However shock to nzx/ASX could bring all stocks lower - therefore cash? As long as banks don't fail...
Nothing wrong with a great big allocation to cash at present, as you quite correctly point out, gives you plenty of dry powder when things are on offer at deep discounts too intrinsic value.
POT too exxy on a PE basis for my liking but agree it should be resilient. Some cheap houses in small hick town N.Z. but with economic conditions looking even tougher in rural N.Z. an early recovery looks improbable to me for all but small regional towns close to Auckland where disaffected owners will shift too because they can't afford to retire / live in Auckland or are just sick and bloody tired of the traffic.

Glad you started this thread Roger. I had a big ruthless sell off last week and am now 50% cash. The stocks I kept are (mainly industrial) REITs in NZ and Australia, a couple of gold miners, a couple of retirement home operators, a debt collector/lender of last resort, and a few strays like AIR, PEB, HNZ.

Over the last few months I got into REITs like for their long leases and good tenants, Gold because the Aussie gold price is good and traditionally it is a safe haven, retirement homes seem to weather recessions better than others, and debt collectors seem to get busy in times of recession as well.
You're welcome mate. I'm over 50% cash at the moment too. Gives me a warm feeling to withstand the colder conditions. What industrial REIT's have you got in Aussie ?

Dairy price falling seems to be dragging the NZD vs USD down with it. Look at exporters not exposed to dairy that will benefit from the lower currency.
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=USD&view=1Y

I am watching DIL, FPH, SCL and XRO, the performance of which will hopefully not be negatively influenced by NZ economic performance but directly benefit from lower NZD.
(disc hold SCL directly - have indirect exposure to FPH)
Also watching NCM over on the ASX (gold should rally if SHTF globally)
PFI is my pick of the property stocks locally. Is very boring. I recommend reading their annual report. It was almost as good as scales (disc hold)
I avoid any property stock with too much exposure to retail.
RYM I think will be the pick of the retirement stocks. Best in breed and what not. (disc do not hold directly but have indirect exposure)

Market does look fully priced currently, but at least not in a bubble such as ALK property market. Bubbles can pop.

PFI a good idea and should be resilient. Good acronym you've used there. Thanks for sharing your idea's.

blockhead
16-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Seriously?? Fine if so :)
https://www.airbnb.co.nz/

The Uber of the accommodation world. You stay in someone's home, all the financial transactions are taken care of and held by the website with $1m in insurance to the hosts just in case, combined with a TradeMe like reputation system for both the host and the traveler. A lot of first home buyers I know are buying two bedrooms (with partners) near the CBD and renting out the second on Airbnb occasionally to help subsidise the mortgage.

En mass crowdsharing technologies are the boss, and industry disrupting on a massive scale.

Wasn't aware of airbnb Mr Trix but I have a feeling it would be a while before it takes over motel/hotel business as we know it, will be doing further research though.

Big risks in sharing your house with unknown travellers.....$1m insurance or not.

noodles
16-07-2015, 04:36 PM

Thanks for starting the thread.

Exporters I would add to that list SEK (seeka kiwifruit), CVT (Comvita), and TIL (Trology)

AWK (Airwork) , IQE (Intueri ) also benefits from a lower NZDUSD pair.

EBO will be enjoying a lower NZDAUD pair

In most cases, brokers have yet to redo their research with lower USD assumptions. So I see quite a few re-ratings.

Apart from CVT, I own all of the above and SCL/DGL. So I'm definitely well positioned for any further falls. I also own THL, but I'm unclear about the overall benefits of a lower dollar. I think the additional cost of importing campervans negates the benefits.

Beagle
16-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your idea's Noodles. I think you could be on to something with some of those picks, especially AWK...I remember the days when the cross rate with the US was in its 40's and they were massively competitive with their overhaul work back then. OCR at 1.75-2.00% won't surprise me by Christmas with obvious implications for the currency and exporters.

troyvdh
16-07-2015, 05:07 PM
dear Mista trix...you are clearly an "half full " chap...Ive travelled a wee bit...re Seriously ...actually I was..,.anyways I wish you and your mates well...buying two bedroom what ever...for what ever...Honestly your ebulliency should be celebrated...just keep your head down when you next visit a motel....cheers

warthog
16-07-2015, 05:28 PM
dear Mista trix...you are clearly an "half full " chap...Ive travelled a wee bit...re Seriously ...actually I was..,.anyways I wish you and your mates well...buying two bedroom what ever...for what ever...Honestly your ebulliency should be celebrated...just keep your head down when you next visit a motel....cheers

There are two types of traveller: those who know about and use AirBnB, and those who don't.

AirBnB is seriously enjoyable disruption. Farewell stingy, anonymous and generic hotels/motels.

noodles
16-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks for sharing your idea's Noodles. I think you could be on to something with some of those picks, especially AWK...I remember the days when the cross rate with the US was in its 40's and they were massively competitive with their overhaul work back then.
AWK? I think someone must have hacked Roger's sharetrader account. I know the real Roger would not touch this stock with a barge poll.

tim23
16-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Tourism - weaker dollar more attractive for inbound tourist.

Zaphod
16-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Wasn't aware of airbnb Mr Trix but I have a feeling it would be a while before it takes over motel/hotel business as we know it, will be doing further research though.

Big risks in sharing your house with unknown travellers.....$1m insurance or not.

In many cases your private home insurance won't cover losses due to commercial guests. Airbnb is a great service, but like everything it comes with a few caveats.

At least it hasn't suffered at the hands of regulators and militant Frenchman like Uber has!

dingoNZ
16-07-2015, 08:34 PM

On my trip to Japan, Korea and China and it was fantastic, much more homely than a hotel could ever be and locations were great. Going forward I will be using it, would highly recommend.

Also - I am currently deep in THL, OHE and SCL all of which will be benefiting from the NZD weakening. I'm not too sure about THL so much but I am happily sitting in the green so happy to play it out. AIR would be a good go to IMO, given its PE and yield I will likely be distributing some fund into it

skid
16-07-2015, 08:48 PM
I suppose this has become the ultimate question in this era--Used to be,money in the bank was super safe(we thought)but now if things get really unstable,its not a sure thing any more--(bank holiday-haircuts etc.) obviuosly some shares are safer than others ,but if things get bad enough that we start thinking about the safety of banks--then I would assume all shares would be vulnerable(people get scared and forget about the company itself and start thinking of the ugly beast of the share market in general--(of course we are not there now,but it would be dangerous to dismiss.)
Sitting on cash is becoming very stingy in terms of reward but something like Kiwi bonds is probably safer than many things-especially finance cos.
Lets face it cash is never going to be a big earner,unless you factor in the fact that a penny not lost ,is a penny earned.

Beagle
16-07-2015, 08:52 PM
AWK? I think someone must have hacked Roger's sharetrader account. I know the real Roger would not touch this stock with a barge poll.

LOL mate...we aren't facing a situation with the Kiwi worth forty something cents American yet...but we could be and that's a game changer where even an old dog might have to learn new tricks :)

Beagle
16-07-2015, 08:59 PM
I suppose this has become the ultimate question in this era--Used to be,money in the bank was super safe(we thought)but now if things get really unstable,its not a sure thing any more--(bank holiday-haircuts etc.) obviuosly some shares are safer than others ,but if things get bad enough that we start thinking about the safety of banks--then I would assume all shares would be vulnerable(people get scared and forget about the company itself and start thinking of the ugly beast of the share market in general--(of course we are not there now,but it would be dangerous to dismiss.)
Sitting on cash is becoming very stingy in terms of reward but something like Kiwi bonds is probably safer than many things-especially finance cos.
Lets face it cash is never going to be a big earner,unless you factor in the fact that a penny not lost ,is a penny earned.

Nice post Skid and you're right this has become the ultimate question for those that want to play it safe. As you quite correctly note, when things get really ugly there's a tendency for people to throw the baby out with the bathwater so no share is truly bullet-proof. The thing with cash is when there's a really bad recession, many capital assets get cheaper, (e.g. that fancy as new Range rover or Stabicraft boat the farmer bought when times were good and now has to be sold) so although cash doesn't generate great returns per se, it depends what application you put it too. Are Kiwibonds still Govt guaranteed ?

stoploss
16-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Nice post Skid and you're right this has become the ultimate question for those that want to play it safe. As you quite correctly note, when things get really ugly there's a tendency for people to throw the baby out with the bathwater so no share is truly bullet-proof. The thing with cash is when there's a really bad recession, many capital assets get cheaper, (e.g. that fancy as new Range rover or Stabicraft boat the farmer bought when times were good and now has to be sold) so although cash doesn't generate great returns per se, it depends what application you put it too. Are Kiwibonds still Govt guaranteed ?

Just chuck it in your TAB account Govt guaranteed .......

warthog
16-07-2015, 09:07 PM
In many cases your private home insurance won't cover losses due to commercial guests. Airbnb is a great service, but like everything it comes with a few caveats.

At least it hasn't suffered at the hands of regulators and militant Frenchman like Uber has!

AirBnB provide the cover.

Hotels/hostels comes with caveats as well.

Zaphod
16-07-2015, 09:32 PM
AirBnB provide the cover.

Hotels/hostels comes with caveats as well.

Have a detailed read of the T&C's of Airbnb's minimalistic cover (which, despite being called "Insurance" in some places on the website specifically states that it is "not insurance" in others). Anyone renting using the service is advised to obtain commercial insurance. Mortgage holders should also read the T&C's of their loans with financial institutions.

I've recently looked into this for a colleague and we found that it's a veritable legal minefield.

Hopefully the law will catch up with the disruption.

fish
17-07-2015, 06:08 AM
.....Time to get back on track-airbnb accepted may impact tourism industry-as may many other factors-not a safe haven

So why not Utilities-vector,telecommunications and of course my current favourite-power generators and retailers

For the last few weeks I have been researching likely future demand and costs to generate and retail.
Costs to generate will fall.
Interest rates will fall
Demand will rise-increasing population and increase industrial use.
Industrial use can be debated but my perspective is cheap oil will drive increased global output.Increased cars-increased use alumininium.World population growth-increased building houses etc-increased wood consumption.China has stopped log imports but still importing processed timber.We need to process timber and low nz dollar and lower transport costs will aid exports.Processing timber is our biggest industrial use electricity.
I have been buying Genesis-and still have buy orders out around $1.70.
Already have lots contact and nzo
Sold out of vector sometime ago -didn't trust comcom decisions.
I need to diversify more.
Diversification is so important in making a safe harbor so looking forward to more debate and ideas on this thread.
I could be wrong so do your own research

Leftfield
17-07-2015, 07:28 AM
What storm? Just business as usual me thinks!

couta1
17-07-2015, 07:36 AM
Yeah that's right my portfolio is under 200k in the red now so all good:cool:

Beagle
17-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Just chuck it in your TAB account Govt guaranteed .......
:lol: I haven't had much success making withdrawals over the years.

.....Time to get back on track-airbnb accepted may impact tourism industry-as may many other factors-not a safe haven

So why not Utilities-vector,telecommunications and of course my current favourite-power generators and retailers

For the last few weeks I have been researching likely future demand and costs to generate and retail.
Costs to generate will fall.
Interest rates will fall
Demand will rise-increasing population and increase industrial use.
Industrial use can be debated but my perspective is cheap oil will drive increased global output.Increased cars-increased use alumininium.World population growth-increased building houses etc-increased wood consumption.China has stopped log imports but still importing processed timber.We need to process timber and low nz dollar and lower transport costs will aid exports.Processing timber is our biggest industrial use electricity.
I have been buying Genesis-and still have buy orders out around $1.70.
Diversification is so important in making a safe harbor so looking forward to more debate and ideas on this thread.

Yes please, enough off topic discussion about alternative accommodation providers for its own separate thread me thinks, please people, if you want to debate that any further as its completely irrelevant to this thread, please start a separate one.

Interest rates heading right to the floor is a given but there are real risks to the gentailiers, not the least of which is Tiwai point but the odds on that closing are reducing by the day with the lower Kiwi dollar. GNE best yield by miles but there are other risks as discussed at some length in that thread but in brief, loss of retail customers, attractive forward cover on oil exports from Kupe running out and dividends only circa 2/3rd's imputed are three of the relevant issues...but I would concede that people need power no matter what's going on in the economy and whilst subdued economic growth, if any, will severely dampen demand growth with interest rates on your call account with the bank heading to circa 1.75% by Christmas, (and that's with the risk of a principal haircut from RBNZ in a serious banking crisis), maybe its time to reconsider the gentailiers as part of a conservative well diversified portfolio after their pretty serious circa 20% sector correction since February ?

The one on the horizon that'll bowl Ostrich's with their head in the warm sand, right over.

Leftfield
17-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Phew Couta, I don't know how you sleep.

Roger, my point is that constant change is the new norm.

Anyone scared of risk should not be in the share market and those in the market should not be complacent on any stock at any time.

The returns in the annual stock picking competition show that 'safe' stocks don't always give the best returns. The day Warren Buffett cashes out is the day I'll be really worried.

Crackity
17-07-2015, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE

The returns in the annual stock picking competition show that 'safe' stocks don't always give the best returns. The day Warren Buffett cashes out is the day I'll be really worried.[/QUOTE]

He is 85 next month - he could cash out at any time!

Hoop
17-07-2015, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE

The returns in the annual stock picking competition show that 'safe' stocks don't always give the best returns. The day Warren Buffett cashes out is the day I'll be really worried................

http://comediva.com/images/stories/scrooge-mcduck_money-swim.jpg

Joshuatree
17-07-2015, 12:02 PM
What really are safe stocks on the NZX?Im in the top 6; been as high as 1 currently re 18 % up.4 out of 5 of my stocks i consider safe.

skid
17-07-2015, 01:15 PM
:lol: I haven't had much success making withdrawals over the years.

Yes please, enough off topic discussion about alternative accommodation providers for its own separate thread me thinks, please people, if you want to debate that any further as its completely irrelevant to this thread, please start a separate one.

A conservative stock with a 20% correction is almost a contradiction of terms--shows how volatile everything can be

Once again,with dropping interest rates,I feel sorry for the oldies who have saved over the years and hope not to many get sucked in to the next higher interest scheme like the finance cos. of the past---remember the good ole days when the biggest worry was inflation?--Now alot are running after it.

Interest rates heading right to the floor is a given but there are real risks to the gentailiers, not the least of which is Tiwai point but the odds on that closing are reducing by the day with the lower Kiwi dollar. GNE best yield by miles but there are other risks as discussed at some length in that thread but in brief, loss of retail customers, attractive forward cover on oil exports from Kupe running out and dividends only circa 2/3rd's imputed are three of the relevant issues...but I would concede that people need power no matter what's going on in the economy and whilst subdued economic growth, if any, will severely dampen demand growth with interest rates on your call account with the bank heading to circa 1.75% by Christmas, (and that's with the risk of a principal haircut from RBNZ in a serious banking crisis), maybe its time to reconsider the gentailiers as part of a conservative well diversified portfolio after their pretty serious circa 20% sector correction since February ?

The one on the horizon that'll bowl Ostrich's with their head in the warm sand, right over.

Once again,with dropping interest rates,I feel sorry for the oldies who have saved over the years and hope not to many get sucked in to the next higher interest scheme like the finance cos. of the past---remember the good ole days when the biggest worry was inflation?--Now alot are running after it.

There are no safe harbors in todays world --only some safer than others

Those that have alot would probably end up in the looney bin if they realized how much their assets fluctuated

Beagle
17-07-2015, 01:20 PM
It is a real shame we don't have a Govt guaranteed deposit scheme like in Aussie where the first $250K ? is Govt guaranteed.

Buffett Jr
17-07-2015, 02:50 PM
The day Warren Buffett cashes out is the day I'll be really worried

No worries. I'm ready to take over the old man when he kicks the bucket.

Crackity
17-07-2015, 03:27 PM
No worries. I'm ready to take over the old man when he kicks the bucket.

Lol - don't forget to send him a card on Aug 30

Sgt Pepper
17-07-2015, 03:38 PM
It is a real shame we don't have a Govt guaranteed deposit scheme like in Aussie where the first $250K ? is Govt guaranteed.

Roger

Until 3 months ago we did have, we, meaning the general public, have a government guaranteed deposit scheme . The Public Trust offered Term Deposit and on call savings accounts in which the capital and the interest carried an unconditional government guarantee. Then , out of the blue I received a letter in February that the Public Trust were withdrawing these accounts and no longer accepting deposits into them. I complained to my MP but heard nothing back.

vin
17-07-2015, 03:43 PM
What really are safe stocks on the NZX?Im in the top 6; been as high as 1 currently re 18 % up.4 out of 5 of my stocks i consider safe.

In my inexperienced opinion I would say Ports of Tauranga & Mainfreight.. Correct me if Im wrong!

Zaphod
17-07-2015, 05:46 PM
In my inexperienced opinion I would say Ports of Tauranga & Mainfreight.. Correct me if Im wrong!

What proportion of POT's business does Fonterra represent? Anyone know off-hand?

Joshuatree
17-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Doesn't matter same volume of powder still goes out of of there. Pretty narrow entrance to the port though;just one tugboat pilot with reefer madness could block the channel.

;)

iceman
17-07-2015, 08:29 PM
I believe SAN is a good bet with a much lower NZD and not affected in any way by a slowing NZ economy, except maybe a positive with lower costs. They are on record saying every cent in the USD/NZD makes about NZ$1M difference to their bottom line. DIL also another good one with a large majority of their earnings in USD and again not affected by the NZ economy.

K1W1G0LD
17-07-2015, 08:31 PM
HNZ ........................... Well run BANK, limited exposure to Diary industry in comparison to BIG 4 Banks . Banks in general do very well in tumultuous times. Everybody needs them!
Read on........................http://www.cnbc.com/2014/09/25/why-buffett-is-always-betting-big-on-bank-stocks.html

tim23
17-07-2015, 09:40 PM
SPK looks okay to me or GMT or one of the other listed property trusts.

GTM 3442
18-07-2015, 03:29 PM
For cash, an ever changing mix of NZD, AUD, USD, CAD, SGD, and CHF.

Roughly 50% NZD, 10% each of the others. Roughly.

glennj
19-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Hardly a storm but these stocks probably qualify; AIA, EBO, THL, POT & SPN. Likely to benefit from exchange rate changes and/or an increase in export activity. All pay dividends!

troyvdh
19-07-2015, 07:29 PM
dear skid..a very astute comment indeed...you/we should forward same to the likes of greypower what ever...being a "looney bin" worker..I can tell you there a very few beds...Thankyou again..great post.

janner
19-07-2015, 07:48 PM
SPK looks okay to me or GMT or one of the other listed property trusts.

If all turns to custard.

Commercial properties i.e. Retail will come under tremendous pressure to reduce rents..

Industrial will be in the same boat.. In fact in my opinion .. ALL rentals will be fighting for occupants..

The bubble will be pricked.. Be one, and keep your money ( Cash. Gold. Silver ) handy..

troyvdh
19-07-2015, 07:58 PM
janner ...your logic escapes me...totally...there are trillions of dollars heading our way....OK..put it this way ..if you were a middle class Chinese person...where would put your dosh....think about it....

tim23
19-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Trouble is Janner you don't get a return from gold or Silver unless a capital gain so its very speculative think people will still use SPK services in good times in bad and companies will keep leasing premises.

Baa_Baa
19-07-2015, 08:15 PM
If all turns to custard. ..snip .. The bubble will be pricked.. Be one, and keep your money ( Cash. Gold. Silver ) handy..

There's a few Kg's of silver ingots here if someone wants them. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?sort_order=price_desc&searchstring=ingot&submit_keyword_search=Search&cid=4353&searchregion=100&from=fav Have to wonder why they're selling?

Gold at US$1000 before long, jmho.

... if the Mob don't figure out who you really are first, and come get your stash. Online anonymous websites are a bad place to be advertising bullion holdings. Just saying.

Longhaul
21-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Just a question about Term Deposits. How much are the big banks willing to add on to their carded rates generally?

axe
21-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Just a question about Term Deposits. How much are the big banks willing to add on to their carded rates generally?

Depends whether the staff of the big bank need your TD to hit their targets for the month.......

Crackity
21-07-2015, 08:19 PM

0.3% added on to the 1 year deposit rate from the large bank that NZ was most satisfied with.....

janner
22-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Trouble is Janner you don't get a return from gold or Silver unless a capital gain so its very speculative think people will still use SPK services in good times in bad and companies will keep leasing premises.

The heading is asking for a safe harbour in a storm

Not a safe course..

Gold is not for investors

Gold is insurance....