PDA

View Full Version : Relief Tuesday

noodles
24-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Down 2%. Hardly Black Monday.

After a pretty awful morning but with the market stabilizing, it is time to contemplate your next move. Are you going to start picking up some bargains or will you use the relief rally to trim your holdings?

Here is some thoughts by a US writer. He argues the Bull market is finished. While our markets looks to be in better shape, I predict the NZX will follow the US.
http://streettalklive.com/index.php/newsletter/current-issue.html?archive=08-21-15

Of course the US market may not have a relief rally over night and I may have to change this thread to Relief Wednesday or Thursday or ...

Beagle
24-08-2015, 12:38 PM
I am a little surprised that the market has fallen by 2% and suspect I'm not the only one. I think some people's confidence will get a dent over this shakeout.
Really some companies with no earnings and those on PE's of circa 30+, (without a long and proven record of high growth to support that PE) are looking most vulnerable. I will resist the temptation to name names.
I suspect we will simply follow overseas markets and as you suggest Noodles you may have to change the name of the thread.

NZSilver
24-08-2015, 12:54 PM
I think with low interest rate environment makes the NZX slightly different as it has a high proportion stocks who substantial divs giving high yields cf other markets around the world, these stocks will continue to hold their value due to their yield, with only minor movements depending on what happens on the overseas markets, however these stocks may eventually get caught up... I think what Roger has alluded too is correct - stocks with no div/no profits/high PE's/spec stocks will be hit hard.... and you can see this on the ASX right now...

Beagle
24-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Looking like a case of which Tuesday are we talking about, Tuesday week ?

China currently down 6.6% and the VIX (volatility index) up a whopping 46%. Looks a little more serious than I think some on here (including myself) were predicting. Oil crashing through under $40.

I posted a thread a couple of weeks or so ago posing the question of what is the serious decline in many commodity prices trying to tell us ? I think we now have our answer.

Oh well, at least petrol and diesel will be cheap this spring / summer...a silver lining or am I clutching at straws ?