PDA

View Full Version : Fundamental Reading - Assistance

fiasco
25-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Hi all,

I've been a member on here for a short period of time. In the last few years I have invested in several stocks i.e AIR, PEB, DIL, AIA, ATM, SPK. I'm a 28yo professional and still have a lot to learn, both in shares and property. I've built a solid amount of capital (relative to me!) and with the way the macro environment is going, I thought it would be an opportunity to catch up on some fundamental readings.

I have learn't a lot from senior members on here e.g. Hoop, KW, Mac, even Moose (where has he gone, forgot his previous alas). My question to those with vast experience, what fundamental books do you think is relevant for NZ (property and NZX, ASX). Additionally, what value did you get out of it and has it assisted with your own practical application.

I haven't considered the US stocks, purely because there isn't any point until I feel comfortable with local markets (obviously keep watch of what is going on worldwide).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Fiasco

stoploss
25-09-2015, 05:14 PM
How to make money in stocks - William J O'Neil

Wolf
25-09-2015, 05:28 PM
I've actually been learning a lot from reading research papers lately.
In the stock market there's a lot of opinions so it's great to get some real facts.

The social science network has quite a large free database: http://www.ssrn.com/en/
With studies on just about anything you can think of, such as technical analysis / impact of insider buying/ fundamental strategies/ liquidity/ sectors/ market capitalization etc etc

DarkHorse
26-09-2015, 10:47 PM
I've actually been learning a lot from reading research papers lately.
In the stock market there's a lot of opinions so it's great to get some real facts.

The social science network has quite a large free database: http://www.ssrn.com/en/
With studies on just about anything you can think of, such as technical analysis / impact of insider buying/ fundamental strategies/ liquidity/ sectors/ market capitalization etc etc

Great advice Wolf. This article for example shows how buying less volatile stocks can also increase returns: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2055431 - Low Risk Stocks Outperform within All Observable Markets of the World

fiasco
28-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks all!

I have just ordered the above artifacts by William J O'Neil. I'll have a look at SSM in the interim Wolf, much appreciated.

RRR
29-09-2015, 06:28 PM
SSRN is a handy website indeed - thanks.

With due respect to KW I don't think a book on how to short stocks is the right one for a person starting out in the world of investments!

The most popular books (fundamental analysis) are Intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham and one up on the Wall Street by Peter Lynch.

Buffett Jr
03-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Here is a list I gave my cousin last summer. :) If you can't guess, I have a huge man crush on Warren.

Intelligent Investor- Ben Graham
Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits- Phil Fisher
Stocks for the Long Run- Jeremy Siegel
One up on Wall St- Peter Lynch
Beating the Street- Peter Lynch
Rich Dad Poor Dad- Robert Kiyosaki
Cashflow Quadrant- Robert Kiyosaki
Rich Dads Guide to Investing- Robert Kiyosaki
The New Buffettology- Mary Buffett
Warren Buffett Invests like a Girl and why you should too- Louann Lofton
Warren Buffett and the Interpretation of Financial Statements- Mary Buffett
Even Buffett Isn't Perfect- Vahan Jangigian
Buffett Beyond Value- Prem C. Jain
Dear Mr Buffett- Janet M. Tavakoli
Buffett, the Making of an American Capitalist- Roger Lowenstein
How Buffett Does it- James Pardoe
The Warren Buffett Way- Robert G. Hagstrom
Warren Buffett Wealth- Robert P. Miles
The Essential Buffett- Robert G. Hagstrom
How to think like Benjamin Graham and Invest like Warren Buffett- Lawrence A. Cunningham
The Warren Buffet Portfolio- Robert G. Hagstrom
The Money Map- Martin Hawes
Shares- Martin Hawes
Letters to Aston- Martin Hawes
Property Investment- Martin Hawes
Dhando Investor- Mohnish Pabrai
Get Rich with Dividends- Marc Lichtenfield
The Little Book of Common Sense Investing- John C Bogle
The Little Book of Value Investing- Roger Lowenstein
The Little Book of Valuation- Aswath Damodaran
Benjamin Graham and the Power of Growth Stocks- Martin Frederick, K.
Value.Able- Roger Montgomery

Buffett Jr
03-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Also, if you can handle it, I went and read the last 30 or so years of Berkshire Hathaway's annual reports. It's pretty tough reading, but I learnt quite a lot.

Also Youtube videos of Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger doing university speeches are worth watching.

JBmurc
19-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Checkout my book collections for sale on Trademe some great reading for newbies ....

also -1036737213

will do a great deal for the lot....