PDA

View Full Version : Incredible charts not so Incredible.

kizame
24-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Has anyone had the problem after maybe downloading windows 10,not being able to access NZ data using this platform via yahoo data?
I have no problem getting overseas stocks provided by the platform but for nz stocks it freezes.
I have completely removed the program using software and re-downloaded to no avail.
I have asked for support but they are no help,they couldn't remedy it,so I had to unsubscribe,pity cos it was a reasonable charting program.

Anonymous
24-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Yes, I had this exact same problem with IC freezing loading NZ data after Win 10 upgrade (but no problems with anything else). I am not 100% sure if this is what fixed it but I now have it working again.

What I did was uninstalled and reinstalled it as you did but found this didn't work but I noticed after reinstalling that my watchlists were still appearing so I figured there were still some files that weren't being deleted with the uninstall. So after uninstalling again I did a search of the computer for 'incredible' and found a couple of folders with files related to IC that were still on my comp. I manually deleted everything I found and then reinstalled IC again. This time I was able to load NZ data from Yahoo so I recreated my NZX watchlists etc and now don't seem to have any problems (but it has been less than a week since I did this so maybe it will start happening again).

Good luck.

Hoop
27-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Thats weird..eh Guys? ..I didn't suffer this problem....but I did suffer other minor problems with isolated issues which most people didn't.....It seems yours personal computing habits such as individual programs you have downloaded in the past and probably forgotten about are still running invisibly in the background ..maybe one of these are not compatible with Win 10 or has be corrupted with the shoddy Microsoft installation method...

I'm not a fan of Microsoft Windows but I need it...just like Oxygen in the air.

The shoddy Win10 installation method doesn't clean up after itself...so after win10 installation there are old windows fragments still in the new operating system and some cause problems..each user seems to have differing problems, which I assume (I could be wrong) is because the fragments left behind can be different fragments with each user or the user has different programs to other users and a specific fragment upsets that program..

Use at your own risk......To help identify those problem fragments and files try running the Microsoft program Autorun for windows from technet Microsoft (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) ....Its a zip file..I used WinRAR to unzip...Once the zip file is downloaded click on the Autoruns .exe not autorunsc.exe ...The tool saw that my Win 10 installation wasn't completely clean as it left behind some old Window files...The tool also shows malware and hijackers that start up as well .. I deleted those files that were coloured yellow... (the yellow coloured files I had were mostly old windows media files which don't work with Win 10).....

https://i-technet.sec.s-msft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.autoruns_v13%28en-us,MSDN.10%29.png

I don't advise anyone to touch the any other start up files that are not coloured yellow unless they are experienced and know what they are doing..

Hoop
27-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Thats weird..eh Guys? ..I didn't suffer this problem....but I did suffer minor problems with other isolated issues which most people didn't.....It seems yours personal computing habits such as individual programs you have downloaded in the past and probably forgotten about are still running invisibly in the background ..maybe I of these are not compatable with Win 10 or has be corrupted with the shoddy Microsoft installation method...

I'm not a fan of Microsoft Windows but I need it...just like Oxygen in the air.

The shoddy Win10 installation method also doesn't clean up after itself...so after win10 installation there are old windows fragments still in the new operating system and some cause problems..each user seems to have differing problems, which I assume (I could be wrong) is because the fragments left behind can be diffferent fragments with each user or the user has different programs to other users and a specific fragment upsets that program..

Use at your own risk......To help identify those problem fragments and files try running the Microsoft program Autorun for windows from technet Microsoft (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) ....Its a zip file..I used WinRAR to unzip...Once the zip file is downloaded click on the Autoruns .exe not autorunsc.exe ...The tool saw that my Win 10 installation wasn't completely clean as it left behind some old Window files...The tool also shows malware and hijackers that start up as well .. I deleted those files that were coloured yellow... (the yellow coloured files I had were mostly old windows media files which don't work with Win 10).....

I don't advise anyone to touch the any other start up files that are not coloured yellow unless they are experienced and know what they are doing..

Baa_Baa
12-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Hi all, has anyone else had this problem and found a fix for Yahoo data freezing Incredible Charts in Windows 10?

Unfortunately the suggested fix of deleting all the files left over after the (so called) un-install and re-installing IC has not worked for me.

I also tried Autorun suggested by Hoop but can't see anything that relates to this problem.

Thanks
BAA

clip
15-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Right-click the shortcut, go to properties, compatibility tab, tick the box that says 'run this program in compatibility mode for..' and change the option to windows7
drop me a pm to remind me if not working and we can go from there :)

Baa_Baa
20-12-2015, 07:28 PM
If anyone else has this problem, IC have acknowledged the issue and expect to have new Beta released within a week or so.

Thanks to those who PM'd me with suggestions. Looks like an IC issue, not Win10 per se.

kizame
30-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Hi guys thanks for the suggestions and you too Baa Baa,I havn't redownloaded IC lately but have had to leave my pc on 24/7 with IC running otherwise if I restart the program I have to load lots of overseas stocks or indices then try and load 1 nz stock to see if it will load,this usually results in the program freezing,and to restart again and again going through this long winded process till finally a nz stock loads.
IC when I first told them about the problem they had a look at my start file but couldn't find anything,they didn't know what was happening of course,so now I suffer with this issue,I wish there was another good software package (downloadable) that had NZ stock data. Its really wierd and so frustrating.

kizame
30-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Right-click the shortcut, go to properties, compatibility tab, tick the box that says 'run this program in compatibility mode for..' and change the option to windows7
drop me a pm to remind me if not working and we can go from there :)

YES!!!! Thankyou clip that has solved the issue,you are awesome dude of the month (Jan haha).
I'm so pleased.

Baa_Baa
06-01-2016, 03:03 PM
IC released a Beta today that appears to have fixed the problem, of IC freezing on Yahoo data (i.e. NZX data) under Win10. If you're having the problem as well, click on Help and at the bottom of the menu it says Upgrade to latest Beta.

There is another problem though, the Yahoo data seems to include non-trading days, which basically makes the daily chart and indicators useless. As someone once said, there is a price for free data!

If anyone else has this problem, IC have acknowledged the issue and expect to have new Beta released within a week or so.

Thanks to those who PM'd me with suggestions. Looks like an IC issue, not Win10 per se.

Baa_Baa
19-01-2016, 08:15 PM
For those who are interested, IC released an update 16 Jan which includes the fixes for Win10 64-bit users. Works fine for me, even snappy performance within a Parallels Desktop virtual machine on Mac OSX El Capitan v10.11.2. The issue was about how IC set its 'compatibility mode' up under different Windows versions.

So cred to IC who have recognised the issues and fixed them, well done.

Baa_Baa
26-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Well I have to give credit where it's due, Incredible Charts (IC) have released their Win10 fix-up and it works really well, even tidies up the UI a bit so it looks like a Win10 App. Very snappy response and automatically sets up the compatibility settings for Win10 and/or older versions of Windows. IC is a good honest down to earth technical analysis/charting software.

Shame though is that us NZX investors still have to rely on the crappy Yahoo data, which really is a disgraceful joke with non-trading days included and discrepancies on OHLC prices against more reliable data sources. I tend to use Incredible Charts mainly for the non-NZX stocks and indices now. That's a pity, you'd think Incredible Charts gave a sh1t about NZ investors, but clearly they don't or they would find a decent NZX/NZAX/NXT data source. I'd even pay a subscription for that.

JMO
BAA

kizame
27-01-2016, 05:19 PM
I have mentioned this issue of crappy yahoo data with them but I think it comes down to the number of NZ subscribers,which must be small or they would do something about it.

Baa_Baa
27-01-2016, 07:28 PM
I have mentioned this issue of crappy yahoo data with them but I think it comes down to the number of NZ subscribers,which must be small or they would do something about it.

I agree completely. If Colin realised or accepted that it only takes a reliable data source to convert his NZ free users to paying users, he might just subscribe to the NZX, NZAX and NXT data. Only he know how many users that could bring over to IC.

ColinTwiggs
10-03-2016, 04:23 PM
I agree completely. If Colin realised or accepted that it only takes a reliable data source to convert his NZ free users to paying users, he might just subscribe to the NZX, NZAX and NXT data. Only he know how many users that could bring over to IC.

Thank you for the feedback. We did investigate NZX data and found a reliable source of end-of-day (NZX) data at affordable prices. Unfortunately the deal-breaker was NZX royalties at $1250 per month, about 3 times the royalties that we pay for equivalent ASX data (which we consider really expensive). We would still be prepared to take it on if we could find a way to spread the cost over a sufficient number of subscribers for us break even. Suggestions would be welcomed.

Hoop
14-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Thank you for the feedback. We did investigate NZX data and found a reliable source of end-of-day (NZX) data at affordable prices. Unfortunately the deal-breaker was NZX royalties at $1250 per month, about 3 times the royalties that we pay for equivalent ASX data (which we consider really expensive). We would still be prepared to take it on if we could find a way to spread the cost over a sufficient number of subscribers for us break even. Suggestions would be welcomed.

Welcome to ST Colin.

I hope you get a lot of positive feed back.

Baa_Baa
14-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Hi Colin, welcome, thanks for taking the initiative to join in.

I have been a user of your excellent charting software for many years, though it is only in the past year or so that I have noticed that there many data issues with Yahoo data (out of your control), such that the charts are rendered unreliable. I suggested switching to Google Finance API as their data seems more reliable, but discovered that their API had been devolved.

So onto what seems to be the only alternative, sourcing bona-fide NZX data via one of the data vendors. You say that you have located an affordable source but can't justify the additional expense of the NZX royalties, even at break even (which is a generous offer).

Does this mean that from your analysis of IC subscribers that currently download NZX Yahoo data (for free) that the total number of those subscribers (if converted to paying subscribers) is still insufficient to break even, or have you calculated a breakeven number of subscribers and don't think sufficient percentage of free subscribers will convert to paying subscribers?

I guess I'm asking, without you having to disclose actual subscriber numbers and breakeven paying subscriber numbers, how far apart is it, from being a viable proposition for end-of day data, and if known, for real-time intraday data?

BAA

clip
14-03-2016, 05:15 PM
YES!!!! Thankyou clip that has solved the issue,you are awesome dude of the month (Jan haha).
I'm so pleased.

Only just checked back this thread but glad this sorted you out