PDA

View Full Version : Forecasting total returns

banter
01-11-2015, 11:24 AM
In reply to another post (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?2923-PGG-Wrightson-(-PGW-)&p=595789&viewfull=1#post595789) on the PGW thread, this thread’s going to list some stocks that might be undervalued, according to a model that tries to forecast seven year percentage return (expressed as internal rate of return - IRR), after tax (capital gain or loss, plus after-tax dividends), given usual market PEs, estimated growth rates, dividends, and dividend payout rates *for a particular stock*.

Inputs:
1) MPE - Median market PE for the stock over the past 7 year.
2) Dividend payout % - usually the previous year’s %,
3) Estimated growth in eps over the next 7 years – a guess.

Method
1) A stock will be rerated to its usual PE by the time the next year-end accounts are released.
2) EPS will then grow by the assigned growth rate, and the usual PE will apply for the rest of the seven years.
3) The stock will pay out dividends at a fixed rate for the seven years.

Output
1) IRR using MPE 7PE – forecast return (share price growth rate + divs) per annum over the next 7 years
2) IRR – PE = 15 – as above but with a PE of 15 – just out of interest, so stocks can be compared ‘on a level PE playing field.’
3) How much a stock is undervalued or over valued in year 1.
Obviously the outputs are likely to be wrong, even wildly wrong.

Using AIR as an example - output figures in green:

Stocks
Growth%
MPM7 PE
IRR using MPM7 PE

IRR using PE of 15

Div payout %

PE curr
Y1uv/ov
PEG

AIR.NZ
10%
25%
32%
50%
104%

AIR’s growth in EPS is a special case, estimated at 100% in year 1, and 10% in years 2-7. In most stocks the model used a constant growth rate for the whole seven year forecast period.

The model predicts 104% gain (div plus capital gain) in year 1, and an overall IRR of 25% per annum, compounded over 7 years, given the usual median PE for air of 10.2

Will post figures for other companies later, including PGW.

AIR is the most undervalued NZ50 or NZ50-fringe stock according to this model.

Beagle
01-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Who would have thought in early September than we would be breaking a record on the NZX50 and cracking 6,000 by the end of October ?

The trick in the market now is to find whatever pockets of value remain keeping in mind that many of the macro economic factors that appeared to gravely concern the market so recently still remain, (e,g, concerns over China, slowdown in commodities for the Australian and N.Z. economy, problems with systemic carry over GFC issues like debt for Greece e.t.c).

I think any model that compares historical average PE ratio's and looking at current growth and dividend rates in this sort of market is very useful.

Fact is going forward with the market already so high maybe a large part of 2016's return will come from dividend yield and there's just as much downside risk to the market as upside.

My focus is looking for stocks that can maintain and sustain a very high dividend yield in an indifferent / low growth / low interest rate environment.

It's this sort of environment where oil probably stays low, (perhaps for quite a period of time) and stocks like AIR continue to derive substantial benefits. Their net capex deducting normal depreciation isn't that large in the next few years so regardless of whether they go up or not, (obviously I think they will), shareholders are in line for very good dividends in the years ahead.

The basis behind my investment methodology at present is that if I can invest in a basket of shares that I think are still very good value, e.g. AIR, SKL, PGW and get average dividends of 10% gross then any SP gain on top of that is very nice cream on top of what is already a very tasty cake.

Total shareholder returns on the market as a whole look likely to be modest in 2016 so a value based high dividend yield approach makes good common sense to me.

Buffett Jr
03-11-2015, 03:30 PM
AIR is the most undervalued NZ50 or NZ50-fringe stock according to this model.

So you are buying up every single share you can get your hands on?

banter
03-11-2015, 11:45 PM
The second most undervalued stock:

INPUTS

OUTPUTS

OTHER

Stocks

Growth%
MPM7 PE

IRR using MPM7 PE
IRR using PE of 15

Y1uv/ov

PE curr
PEG
DY%

STU.NZ
11%

24%

26%
77%

9.5%

STU bought a couple of companies whose profits according to STU will boost EPS - see STU thread (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?1835-STU&p=591128&viewfull=1#post591128).
The above assumes the company is right.

Not much interest in this company. It is still in a 50/200 day downtrend, but near a 90 day high.
The share price has gone sideways for over two years.

banter
03-11-2015, 11:59 PM
So you are buying up every single share you can get your hands on?
No. Welcome to my ignore list.

winner69
12-11-2015, 02:29 PM
The second most undervalued stock:

INPUTS

OUTPUTS

OTHER

Stocks

Growth%
MPM7 PE

IRR using MPM7 PE
IRR using PE of 15

Y1uv/ov

PE curr
PEG
DY%

STU.NZ
11%

24%

26%
77%

9.5%

STU bought a couple of companies whose profits according to STU will boost EPS - see STU thread (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?1835-STU&p=591128&viewfull=1#post591128).
The above assumes the company is right.

Not much interest in this company. It is still in a 50/200 day downtrend, but near a 90 day high.
The share price has gone sideways for over two years.

Read the latest announcement?

Your 11% growth is way out - what happens to the valuation if u make it zero or negative?

Only way it will trade on a 13 odd PE is if profits really drop IMO

Still 2nd most undervalued?