PDA

View Full Version : Research providers

Fisherking
08-11-2015, 01:24 PM
So I've sold up the rental properties because I think the Auckland market is ridiculously overvalued. This has left me in the position of having a good chunk of cash to invest, but few skills to know where to place it. A concerning position to be in.

I'm expecting to invest directly in NZ/ AUS shares with the help of some paid market research.

Managed/ passive funds are also an option I will probably pursue at least for exposure to global markets; but these funds do seem to have very different historical returns and cost structures, so I probably need guidance here too.

I'm looking to get 8%pa after fees and tax over a period of approx. 12 years.

I've been to talk to someone at Craigs who was very helpful but didn't think I could achieve 8%. Their proposal is to charge me 1% which seems fairly standard but I'm not completely comfortable paying over 1% to achieve 6.5% - it's not that much better than bonds.

So I have two questions:

1. Is 8% after fees and tax realistic?
2. Who provides the best research covering NZ/ AU markets?

I've signed up for Morningstar which seems very good but their coverage of NZ market is minimal. I've paid for a couple of reports from IRG and was underwhelmed. Craigs will sell me research, i'm just worried about the quality if they're not confident I can achieve 8%. Fatprophets website looks good, but I've not seen any of their reports. There is one called securities research (stockmarket.co.nz) which seems very basic but the stated returns and customer feedback look pretty good.

Any advice from those that have been through this before would be greatly appreciated.

BIRMANBOY
08-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Several comments per your "unfortunate " predicament. Personally I feel that 8% after fees and taxes PA is bordering on the impossible. No doubt there will be posters who will say...well I've been doing that and more..blah blah. However you are not (as you say) experienced enough to do it yourself so want to buy research or pay for a fund manager. I cannot believe any fund manager will guarantee any sort of return..if they are worth their salt. If someone says to you yes we can get that sort of return for you I would be very sceptical. Buying research, even if its good, still puts you in the same boat as all their other clients and you still have to know when and how many. If it was me in your shoes I would just put it in a 3 month or 6 month TD and check out all your options. The one financial advisor I would consider if I suddenly found myself unable to do it myself would be Martin Hawes. I haven't met him or talked to him, but all of his articles, writings etc that I have come across have led me to think he is a conservative smart investor who is apparently well respected. In a low interest environment such as we have now...its hard to get high returns without some risk and the less experience you(we) have the riskier it becomes.
So I've sold up the rental properties because I think the Auckland market is ridiculously overvalued. This has left me in the position of having a good chunk of cash to invest, but few skills to know where to place it. A concerning position to be in.

I'm expecting to invest directly in NZ/ AUS shares with the help of some paid market research.

Managed/ passive funds are also an option I will probably pursue at least for exposure to global markets; but these funds do seem to have very different historical returns and cost structures, so I probably need guidance here too.

I'm looking to get 8%pa after fees and tax over a period of approx. 12 years.

I've been to talk to someone at Craigs who was very helpful but didn't think I could achieve 8%. Their proposal is to charge me 1% which seems fairly standard but I'm not completely comfortable paying over 1% to achieve 6.5% - it's not that much better than bonds.

So I have two questions:

1. Is 8% after fees and tax realistic?
2. Who provides the best research covering NZ/ AU markets?

I've signed up for Morningstar which seems very good but their coverage of NZ market is minimal. I've paid for a couple of reports from IRG and was underwhelmed. Craigs will sell me research, i'm just worried about the quality if they're not confident I can achieve 8%. Fatprophets website looks good, but I've not seen any of their reports. There is one called securities research (stockmarket.co.nz) which seems very basic but the stated returns and customer feedback look pretty good.

Any advice from those that have been through this before would be greatly appreciated.