PDA

View Full Version : NYSE Dividends... and tax.

Lewylewylewy
11-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

Is there ANY way I (an NZ tax resident) can tip my money into NYSE:O and sit there happily collecting dividends without having the tax man take all my returns with stupid international trading laws? If I understand the NZ laws correctly, the NZX govt basically takes all your earnings if you buy more than $50,000 of foreign shares.

I'd really appreciate the assist.

GTM 3442
12-12-2015, 02:47 AM
From what I understand, the S&P500 has a dividend yield of about 2% at the moment. That's not a lot of dividend yield to be chasing.

Throw in currency risk, and I must be missing something. What's the attraction?

12-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Hi all,

Is there ANY way I (an NZ tax resident) can tip my money into NYSE:O and sit there happily collecting dividends without having the tax man take all my returns with stupid international trading laws? If I understand the NZ laws correctly, the NZX govt basically takes all your earnings if you buy more than $50,000 of foreign shares.

I'd really appreciate the assist.

Pay your tax like a responsible citizen.

Fred114
24-03-2022, 02:36 PM
List of typical types of stocks for US income investor. Typically won't provide capital growth.

In order of risk:
REITs: eg. Realty Inc (O), WP Carey (WPC), Annaly Cap Mngt (NLY), invest pooled investor funds in real estate, return ~4%
ccETNs: closed call exchange traded notes, egs. USOI, JEPI, NUSI, QYLD (passive, but high expense) return ~7%
BDCs (Business Development Companies), egs, Ares, Main Street (Main), Prospect Cap (PSEC), offer loans to businesses too risky for banks, in return for a stake in the company, return ~ 8%
CEF: closed end funds eg. Cornerstone Str Value (CLM) ~ 15%
ETN: Exchange traded notes, funds that can use leverage within the fund and used to provide yield, but can also be removed from trading, most famously MORL, which collapsed. Others SLVO return ~30%
MLP: a master limited partnership, a complex set of companies in partnership, most famous Carl Ichan (Ichan Ent. (IEP), but also Cross America (CAPL). There is a compliance with completing a K1 tax form which is difficult. Returns ~10%

Fred114
24-03-2022, 02:37 PM
List of typical types of stocks for US income investor. Typically won't provide capital growth.<br><br>In order of risk:<br>REITs: eg. Realty Inc (O), WP Carey (WPC), Annaly Cap Mngt (NLY), invest pooled investor funds in real estate, return ~4%<br>ccETNs: closed call exchange traded notes, egs. USOI, JEPI, NUSI, QYLD (passive, but high expense) return ~7%<br>BDCs (Business Development Companies), egs, Ares, Main Street (Main), Prospect Cap (PSEC), offer loans to businesses too risky for banks, in return for a stake in the company, return ~ 8%<br>CEF: closed end funds eg. Cornerstone Str Value (CLM) ~ 15%<br>ETN: Exchange traded notes, funds that can use leverage within the fund and used to provide yield, but can also be removed from trading, most famously MORL, which collapsed. Others SLVO return ~30%<br>MLP: a master limited partnership, a complex set of companies in partnership, most famous Carl Ichan (Ichan Ent. (IEP), but also Cross America (CAPL). There is a compliance with completing a K1 tax form which is difficult. Returns ~10%<br><br>

Ferg
24-03-2022, 08:32 PM
Another high yielding stock is $SBLK on the NASDAQ. Dividends over the past 12 months total US$4.25 gross. The 2 latest dividends were US$1.25 and US$2.00 paid in January and March. They are currently making super profits on shipping and are committed to paying out excess cash as dividends. Annualising the last two quarterly dividends gives a gross yield of ~22% at today's price. This one is staying the bottom drawer.

For everyone upset about high shipping costs....get amongst it.

DYOR: https://www.starbulk.com/

SBQ
24-03-2022, 10:05 PM
Another high yielding stock is $SBLK on the NASDAQ. Dividends over the past 12 months total US$4.25 gross. The 2 latest dividends were US$1.25 and US$2.00 paid in January and March. They are currently making super profits on shipping and are committed to paying out excess cash as dividends. Annualising the last two quarterly dividends gives a gross yield of ~22% at today's price. This one is staying the bottom drawer.

For everyone upset about high shipping costs....get amongst it.

DYOR: https://www.starbulk.com/

You have entirely ignored the elephant in the room. Jeremy Powell is raising interest rates which translates to lower dividends, due to rising interest cost that hit the bottom line. REITs is a good example where the construction of buildings is highly capital intensive and work on 'borrowed funds'.

Ferg
25-03-2022, 06:11 PM
You have entirely ignored the elephant in the room. Jeremy Powell is raising interest rates which translates to lower dividends, due to rising interest cost that hit the bottom line. REITs is a good example where the construction of buildings is highly capital intensive and work on 'borrowed funds'.

SBLK are into shipping; the forward shipping rates are strong and capacity is growing slower than demand. Look at the shipping rates in the Black Sea at the moment. Super profits are here for a wee while yet.

kiora
25-03-2022, 06:32 PM
SBLK are into shipping; the forward shipping rates are strong and capacity is growing slower than demand. Look at the shipping rates in the Black Sea at the moment. Super profits are here for a wee while yet.

Ouch Ferg. I'm not sure Lloyds are insuring any shipping in the Black Sea at the moment?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/24/ukraine-war-will-present-major-insurance-claims-warns-lloyds-of-london

Ferg
25-03-2022, 06:58 PM
Ouch Ferg. I'm not sure Lloyds are insuring any shipping in the Black Sea at the moment?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/24/ukraine-war-will-present-major-insurance-claims-warns-lloyds-of-london

Tis but a scratch.....! But seriously yes that is an issue for companies operating there. I saw an article the other day (which I can't find) that had daily rates go from $10k to over US$170k. This article suggests even higher values:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-25/black-sea-shipping-chaos-spreads-as-u-s-oil-tanker-rates-surge