PDA

View Full Version : Skins crowd funding

ratkin
03-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Any thoughts on this?

https://equitise.com/project/skins

03-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Couldn't be bothered with the tax implications.

Lewylewylewy
04-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Problem with those investments is you have no clout over the directors as an investor, so you may never get any money back unless the whole business is sold. Also, no liquidity.

minimoke
04-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Liquidity would be my biggest issue. Could be offset by the 30% off voucher but i wont live long enough to fully redeem that benifit - besides i can just wait for a rebel sports sale. The technical gear space is also getting more crowded. Under Armour making big leaps over past 12 months.

Leftfield
04-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Personally wouldn't touch it. Nice product and brand name, but all the hallmarks of a scam in the making IMHO. Lots of competition too.

Any offer made to wholesale investors in New Zealand, or sophisticated/wholesale investors in Australia is not made pursuant to our markets services licence granted by FMA, and the associated Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 legislation.

Harvey Specter
04-03-2016, 09:35 AM
I haven't read all the stuff but here are my initial thoughts:

Pro's
- Brand. Skins are a good brand with good product. I prefer their stuff to 2XU, Nike etc
- Size. All ready established so low chance of failure
- Discount. I would replace my gear annually so would be good.

Con's
- Swiss company. I Angel invest in part to support NZ Businesses grow
- Swiss company. Complicates my taxes but would be a small investor only and would stay under the FIF cap
- Swiss company. Will be hard to follow, even if they are successful.
- Discount. I just wait till a good Rebel sale and get 40% off
- Size. Why are they crowdfunding. I understand for small companies as it gets you active customers but these guys are big. I would have thought with their size, they could get a strategic investor who could help them with more than just cash.
- Size. Even with the UK raise GBP2m isn't that much. Given their size, wont they need more cash than that to expand globally.
- Exit. Unknown and since Im not supporting 'NZ Inc', dont want to suffer the lack of liquidity.

Personally I dont mind throwing a few grand into longer shots than this but I think I will sit this one out. If it was a pre-IPO round I might have been more interested but given the lack of liquidity, the long list of Con's definitely outweighs the Pro's.