PDA

View Full Version : Superlife "Mix your own"

justakiwi
05-09-2016, 08:21 PM
I have been doing some serious thinking over the past week or two and have decided that right now, the best "next step" option for me is a Superlife individual superannuation fund, running alongside my existing Kiwisaver. I think that this is the way to go until I can build enough capital to perhaps consider another direct purchase of some additional shares. Unlike Kiwisaver its not tied up until I'm 65 - I can access the funds anytime I need to (in the event of an emergency any time down the track.)

At the moment I'm looking at their "mix your own" option - which gives me the option of picking which funds I want to include in my overall "package" in order to create some good diversity and growth.

The "mix your own" options include their 6 Managed funds and their individual sector funds and ETFs as below:

Individual Sector

Cash

NZ Bonds

Overseas Bonds

Overseas non-Government Bonds

Property

NZ Shares

Australian Shares

Overseas Shares Currency Hedged

Overseas Shares (Unhedged)

Emerging Markets

Gemino

UK Cash

UK Income

UK Shares/Property

ETF

NZ Cash ETF

NZ Bond ETF

Global Bond ETF

NZ Dividend ETF

NZ 50 Portfolio ETF

NZ Top 10 ETF

NZ MidCap ETF

NZ Property ETF

Aust Top 20 Leaders ETF

Aust Dividend ETF

Aust Financials ETF

Aust Property ETF

Aust Resources ETF

Aust MidCap ETF

Total World ETF

US S&P 500 ETF

Europe ETF

Asia Pacific ETF

US Growth ETF

US Value ETF

US MidCap ETF

US Small ETF

Emerging Markets ETF

I would appreciate some general advice around which of the above I would be best to choose as my initial 3-4 funds. I keep looking at the Total World ETF and thinking it would be a sensible choice for diversity. I also like the look of the Aust Dividend ETF. Given that initially, the amount I will be investing will be small (will then be making regular monthly investments) - is there any need to include Bonds/Cash at this stage? Would I be best to just choose two funds for now and add another couple a bit down the track once I've built up a decent balance?

I know you can't tell me what to do but if anyone is willing to give me some guidance here I would appreciate it.

blackcap
06-09-2016, 04:33 AM
HI Justakiwi.

I also use the mix a fund but do that for my Kiwisaver. Just be careful that with some of the ETF's that you check what is in the fund. I am not sure but I think the Aussie high div may be just a mismash of the top 50. But do not quote me on that. Also check on the fees that they charge. You can also buy these funds directly on market (the Australian market offers this) and this will save you some of the fees, but might be a bit harder to drip feed money into them. I know superlife just piggy back on the back of the Vanguard products....
As far as how you want to mix things up that is up to you. Traditional theory will tell you that all you need to do is hold the All world ETF but some people are more comfortable with having more exposure to the country they live in and or a mixture of some bonds as well.

justakiwi
06-09-2016, 07:18 AM
HI Justakiwi.

I also use the mix a fund but do that for my Kiwisaver. Just be careful that with some of the ETF's that you check what is in the fund. I am not sure but I think the Aussie high div may be just a mismash of the top 50. But do not quote me on that. Also check on the fees that they charge. You can also buy these funds directly on market (the Australian market offers this) and this will save you some of the fees, but might be a bit harder to drip feed money into them. I know superlife just piggy back on the back of the Vanguard products....
As far as how you want to mix things up that is up to you. Traditional theory will tell you that all you need to do is hold the All world ETF but some people are more comfortable with having more exposure to the country they live in and or a mixture of some bonds as well.

Thank you - that was really helpful!

GTM 3442
08-09-2016, 03:18 PM
What is "Gemino"?

justakiwi
08-09-2016, 04:00 PM
What is "Gemino"?

I don't see any mention of Gemino in this thread so I have no idea what you're asking (or why) ;)

Oh never mind. I see it now. Hadn't noticed it in that list before.

Harvey Specter
08-09-2016, 04:22 PM
What is "Gemino"?From memory, Gemino is there very aggressive, actively managed fund.

huxley
08-09-2016, 05:47 PM
What is "Gemino"?

It's currently these securities:

PEB WDTPA BLT CAV WDT SRX ABA AWK PAY HXG TRU
IIL LCT AHZ LYC

:confused: