PDA

View Full Version : GREEN STOCKS for a WIN/WIN

Joshuatree
03-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Timing is good. More countries are signing up for Kyoto. I believe in Global warming being caused by humans; its a fact to me and its too late too put ones head in the sand. i hope history proves me wrong; i would love to be wrong. But right here right now is a great time to support green stocks and profit from them too. please add your ideas as this is a thread for green/environmental stocks not a debate ,thanks. a few to start with.I have multi bagged on first 3, currently I am out.EMC is my pick of them atm.KPO(holding) up 30% quick smart.Lithium stocks too but they have their own thread.

EMC water recycling
EDE concrete additive
AJX tox free fireproofing for materials
GNX solar and pumped storage hydro
KPO uses kalina process to generate electricity from waste materials .On a tear atm
PEH environmental monitoring

silu
03-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Great list Johuatree,
I own shares in all of them except EDE and I'm constantly looking out for "green technology" to invest in. Not sure if you'd be interested in HZR (Hazer Group) which I also own.

BlackPeter
03-10-2016, 06:00 PM
NWF (New Zealand Windfarms) - they lost over the last 10 years more than 90% of their capital and never paid a dividend - what a green bargain: Now is the opportunity to buy every green dollar for less than 10 cents ...

OK - sorry for being sarcastic ... but I think the chance to lose money with any new green startup is much larger than the chance to make money ... unless the business is fully state sponsored or you are a greenie and live of a taxpayer funded MP salary.

Having said that ... NWF might start paying in 2017 a virgin dividend (the board started to make noises, but I believe it only when I see it in my bank account).

Discl: paid my tuition fee's in life's course "investing in green shares"

percy
03-10-2016, 06:56 PM
"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."
In the 1990s I went through a green phase.Luckily I ran out of money before such wonderful companies as Enivormental Technologies wanted more cash from me.Their code is ESI.
They were going to save the world [still are?] with their Water,Wastewater Treatment,and Biosolids systems.Wonderful brand names;"Enersludge" Hybractor,BNR Technologies.
As I now like to have compnies giving me money [dividends] I tend to leave the Green companies to people who like giving them money.

silu
03-10-2016, 07:18 PM
To bring out the old line - You've got to know when to hold them and when to fold them. I'm happy with the returns so far:
AJX +300%
EMC +232%
GNX +53%
HZR +72%
HZRO +3450%
KPO +21%

percy
03-10-2016, 07:24 PM
To bring out the old line - You've got to know when to hold them and when to fold them. I'm happy with the returns so far:
AJX +300%
EMC +232%
GNX +53%
HZR +72%
HZRO +3450%
KPO +21%

Well done.
Would appear I was green two decades to early??..lol.
May be time for me to be a "born again green."

showstring
03-10-2016, 09:11 PM
CLQ is another potential 'green stock'
they have a wastewater treatment technology, and a mining extraction efficiency improvement technology (both are same tech, just applied differently)
working on China contracts to clean up their water supply

Bobdn
03-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Funny thing about green companies, they need copper (at least the renewable energy ones do) and lots of it. I know just the company....

heisenberg
04-10-2016, 05:01 PM
JT, thanks for the tip on KPO. Exciting prospects.

Managed to pick up a parcel at 7c. Nice little run today up to 8.6c before the inevitable sell off back to 8c.

Along the lines of green stocks come the water resource stocks. There aren't many available on the NZX/ASX, but I suspect in the coming decades this may well become our most precious commodity

bung5
04-10-2016, 08:28 PM
All looking good..

Joshuatree
10-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Usual caveat; know when to hold them , know when to fold them; free carry as soon as possible, don't ride them to the ground if they hit snag, lose favour etc; cut your losses i.e. crystallise them and reach a personal growth milestone or stay in a victim mode and become an opportunity lost stuck in the mud sort of player.

VMT ,electric scooters worth watching for a change in trend

babymonster
10-10-2016, 10:03 AM
CWE is the only green i own...among other oil and gas companies... lol

Joshuatree
10-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Thanks bm will add update and add to list later. Are you a happy holder in CWE atp and do you rate it as an investment?. looks like a trend reversal after this announcement.
ARENA Commits $2.5m for World First Microgrid Project-CWE.AX (http://hotcopper.com.au/threads/2928023/)

babymonster
10-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Thanks bm will add update and add to list later. Are you a happy holder in CWE atp and do you rate it as an investment?. looks like a trend reversal after this announcement.
ARENA Commits $2.5m for World First Microgrid Project-CWE.AX (http://hotcopper.com.au/threads/2928023/)

i am happier atp... it does sound like they are heading to the right direction in terms of business and sp.. altho i am still heavily in red... last trade bought in around 5.5c... i can see its potential and it's a proven technology but the execution is going to be harder.. often small islands don't really see the point.. i guess they might not care the environment that much

Joshuatree
20-10-2016, 01:08 PM
JT, thanks for the tip on KPO. Exciting prospects.

Managed to pick up a parcel at 7c. Nice little run today up to 8.6c before the inevitable sell off back to 8c.

Along the lines of green stocks come the water resource stocks. There aren't many available on the NZX/ASX, but I suspect in the coming decades this may well become our most precious commodity

Im channelling :). KPO blasted through 10c today , 10.5c atm up 14%.Will it hold.

Joshuatree
20-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Now 11.5c!

heisenberg
20-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Im channelling :). KPO blasted through 10c today , 10.5c atm up 14%.Will it hold.

Not sure, but wouldn't mind picking up a few more if it goes sub 10

Joshuatree
20-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Got some away(one third) @12c, on the way to free carried; average cost for the rest 2ents.

Joshuatree
20-10-2016, 07:36 PM
RFX and DYE two more int green stocks but haven't researched.

silu
21-10-2016, 12:34 PM
I have to thank you JT for bringing KPO to my attention. Managed to double my money in no time.

Joshuatree
21-10-2016, 02:44 PM
Will pass it on to the person who brought it to mine. High as 15c today finishing @ 14.5c. Will put profits towards my GREEN car purchase. Win/win:t_up: And touché in reverse BP; get with the century of change:D

Joshuatree
22-10-2016, 09:29 AM
KPO Presentation from 29/08/16 below.
Complete makeover for this company.long history and $126 million spent on kalina cycle to date.Mkt cap re $44 mill, S/P 10 year high.
A friend has tempered my enthusiasm a little; he doesn't believe in the tech so i will sell more to become free carried/ in profit to cover myself.

Download Document 991.71KB (http://hotcopper.com.au/documentdownload?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvFDZpiw e%2BzBmUv%2Fxp8MAjSrnNHIoVWRJmIg%2F1lg%3D%3D)

"Sinopec has advised that completion of the Hainan plant will lead to negotiations for up to100 KALiNA Cycle plants"

Joshuatree
22-10-2016, 10:45 AM
AJX +300%
EMC +232%
GNX +53%
HZR +72%
HZRO +3450%
KPO +21%

Can you update this Silu; amazing returns for any sector let alone the GREENIE one which most investors/humans eyes glaze over and their brains turn off at the thought of supporting companies that help the planet as then they will have to acknowledge that there is a problem and get off their backsides and do something about it.Def a WIN/WIN here:).

Dej
22-10-2016, 04:56 PM
KPO Presentation from 29/08/16 below.
Complete makeover for this company.long history and $126 million spent on kalina cycle to date.Mkt cap re $44 mill, S/P 10 year high.
A friend has tempered my enthusiasm a little; he doesn't believe in the tech so i will sell more to become free carried/ in profit to cover myself.

Download Document 991.71KB (http://hotcopper.com.au/documentdownload?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvFDZpiw e%2BzBmUv%2Fxp8MAjSrnNHIoVWRJmIg%2F1lg%3D%3D)

"Sinopec has advised that completion of the Hainan plant will lead to negotiations for up to100 KALiNA Cycle plants"

Sold all my heads, now just have my options = same amount as the heads I had.

Completely derisked investment now - either sink or swim I dont mind.

Have PMd you re: tech.

silu
22-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Sure. Update as of 22/10:
AJX +270%
EMC +209%
GNX +63%
HZR +73%
HZRO +3000%
KPO +141%

Might take profits from KPO to buy more GNX. The "green" sector has been a very happy hunting ground of late. I'm watching them daily though for any warning signals as goodwill has certainly already been factored into most and I don't want to hold a stock that only treads water for a while.

Can you update this Silu; amazing returns for any sector let alone the GREENIE one which most investors/humans eyes glaze over and their brains turn off at the thought of supporting companies that help the planet as then they will have to acknowledge that there is a problem and get off their backsides and do something about it.Def a WIN/WIN here:).

heisenberg
23-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Very nice Silu, keep up the good green work

babymonster
15-11-2016, 10:06 AM
CWE is doing pretty good lately.... hopefully it will reach my bought price... lol

silu
18-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Update as of 18/11:
AJX +277% continuing to hold
EMC +87% doubled my holding during Trump Slump
GNX +50% bought heaps more this month
HZR +60% steady as she goes. Just signed a MOU with Pan American Hydrogen
HZRO +2700%
KPO +100% sold half of my holding - only free hold shares left. Might look to buy more when they actually start signing more contracts. Lots of goodwill factored into SP imho.

Joshuatree
25-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Read now (http://www.thebull.com.au/oempro470b/tl.php?p=td/te/rs/80a/rv/rs//http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebull.com.au%2Fpremium%2Fa%2F65 040-cleantech-sector-finds-new-energy.html) Clean tech stocks have been outperforming:t_up:

Joshuatree
05-03-2017, 06:43 AM
3/10/16 3/3/17 not factoring dilution e.g. GNX.

EMC 83.5c 73.5c
EDE 20.5c 28c
AJX 62.5c 59.5c
GNX 22c 22c
KPO 7.3c 8.9c
EVS(PEH) 9c 5c
HZR 55c 60.5c
NWF(nzx)6.6c 8.6c
ESI 1.8c 2c
CLQ 62.5c 96c
RFX 40c 24c
DYE 18.5c 22c

Was a great run and green fun there for a whiles ; i multi bagged on EMC,KPO,AJX,EVS EDE.The trend has slowed; seems to be risk on esp with unproven stocks and PE compression happening with higher PE stocks generally.

Holding a few EMC and EDE atm , watching others for poss reentry. Very suss about EVS but if it does win more contracts with Thames water etc it will multi-bag imo; too risky to hold though for me atp.

Joshuatree
06-03-2017, 03:47 PM
The February 2017 Performance Report for the Australian CleanTech Index is now available - click here to download the report (http://auscleantech.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2127312059bfdfdf5e44c1d28&id=5c4599fdc8&e=ea27f9328f). The months performance was driven by a big losses to the lithium stocks.

FEB'17
3 Mnths
12 Mnths

Australian CleanTech Index
-2.1%
0.1%
30.0%

Australian CleanTech 20
-2.1%
0.5%
31.0%

S&P/ASX200
1.4%
5.0%
17.0%

S&P/ASX Small Ords
1.1%
1.9%
13.0%

Over the last 3 years, the Australian CleanTech Index recorded a gain of 40% over the ASX200.

The best performing sub-index for the month was the Australian Waste Index with a 7.3% gain, led by Sims Metal Management. The Index was however dominated by the big losses in the Australian Efficiency & Storage Index that recorded a 12.1% loss for the month led by a 27% loss from Orocobre and a 18% loss by Galaxy Resources.

Elles
08-05-2017, 09:18 PM
I had a quick look at these green companies but unfortunately it seems none of them are making a profit, and most are in a downtrend, so not really encouraging to invest in for me. Is this because they're all start ups? Are there any profitable green companies?
Are you planning to hold these for the long term in the hope they become profitable or are you trading on the short term movements?

Joshuatree
08-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Hi Elles, not much more i can add to the post 2 back. Finding a sector thats in the early stages of running is the trick but its much harder now for small/nano caps they are under the pump. Green stocks have been a fave for me because i believe human induced global warming is tipping us into a terrible future for those that follow.. Other sectors that have had great runs at different times are the marijuana stocks, disruptive tech stocks , biotech etc.
EMC came out with a transformational announcement and has dropped back today; go figure. Too good to be true!! Emecfy announces intention to merge with RWL Water (https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/3406638/)

Elles
08-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Yes I saw that, thought I'd missed the boat when it jumped up over 10% yesterday. It sounds promising but I'm hesitant as it's hard to figure out how to value the company without knowing what will turn into profits, even more so with another company involved now. Do you mainly look at how they are positioned in the market and the future prospects of their products, or do you try to make sense and future predictions using the financial information in the annual reports?

Joshuatree
10-05-2017, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=Elles;665474]Yes I saw that, thought I'd missed the boat when it jumped up over 10% yesterday. It sounds promising but I'm hesitant as it's hard to figure out how to value the company without knowing what will turn into profits, even more so with another company involved now.
/QUOTE]

I think that is very wise of you and why the market has so far been underwhelmed; not enough transparency there atp. Im holding with my reentry a little while back; so if it does take off I'm set; whether i will buy more; too early yet and not being sucked in by FOMO.

Joshuatree
08-08-2017, 09:15 PM
A good article on green stocks with some ideas including 3 NZ hydro etc stocks. GNX features too.

http://www.asx.com.au/education/inv...date~~20178~38249D4A09DE5FB9E050020AA3F0021B ~ (http://www.asx.com.au/education/investor-update-newsletter/201708-cleantech-stocks-build-momentum.htm?ecid=O~E~~~retail~investor-update~~20178~38249D4A09DE5FB9E050020AA3F0021B~)

Bluemanarc
09-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Huge advances in solar technology at the moment, both panels and battery, wish I knew what to pick.
Oil is dead, solar is the future, just finding the right horse to back.

Joshuatree
09-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Eat 9.5 million E cars will be made in 2025

"Producers of processed lithium - an essential element for batteries used in electric cars - are agreeing long-term contracts with their customers to fund the investments needed to address a looming shortfall.
Demand for battery-grade lithium compounds is expected to skyrocket in the next decades in tandem with soaring demand for electric cars as governments and individual consumers try to reduce their carbon footprint.
Although there's plenty of lithium around, the problem is ensuring there is enough capacity to process it.
Battery makers and other end-users such as car manufacturers will need to sign multi-year deals that encourage large producers to invest more, and faster, industry sources say.
Some of that is already happening. "We've established the timeline for our own expansion based on the commitments our customers are making with us," said Tom Schneberger, global business director at U.S.-listed FMC Lithium FMC.N , one of the world's top four producers.
"Our first priority will be to provide the adequate supply of the high quality products upon which (our strategic customers) rely," he told Reuters.
Expansion plans by Chile's Sociedad Quimica Y Minera (SQM) SQMa.SN , another of the top four, for next year are also based on long-term agreements, the company told Reuters.
The production and use of electric cars is projected by Morgan Stanley analysts to rise to 2.9 percent of 99 million new vehicles in 2020 and to 9.4 percent of 102 million new vehicles in 2025, from 1.1 percent of 86.5 million this year.
By 2050, 81 percent of 132 million new auto sales will be electric, Morgan Stanley says.
LIMITED VISIBILITY The lithium-ion batteries needed to power electric cars use lithium carbonate or lithium hydroxide, but the industry typically talks in terms of lithium carbonate equivalent which contains both.
Two types of lithium deposits dominate. One is hard rock as found in Australia, for which ready-to- go capacity to produce battery grade lithium can take up to three years. The other is brine, mostly found in Chile and Argentina, which can take seven years or more.
China has reserves of both. Consultants Roskill estimate 785,000 tonnes of lithium carbonate equivalent a year will be needed by 2025, amounting to a 26,000-tonne shortfall from anticipated supply, compared to 217,000 tonnes of demand versus 227,000 tonnes of supply this year.
Others expect an even larger deficit. "There's limited visibility into where we're going to get the last 200,000 tonnes of lithium if we hit the numbers Roskill is expecting for 2025," said Seth Ginns, a managing director at Jennison Associates.
Jennison manages more than $164 billion of investment and is a top 10 investor in both FMC and U.S.-listed Albemarle ALB.N , another of the top four producers.
"We estimate the lithium industry is going to need between $4-$5 billion of investment out to 2025," said Simon Moores, managing director at Benchmark Minerals Intelligence.
Price projections out to 2025 are not available, but Benchmark estimates prices of lithium carbonate will average $13,000 a tonne over the 2017-2020 period from around $9,000 a tonne in 2015-2016.
Demand for lithium hydroxide, preferred over carbonate as it allows greater battery capacity and longer life, is expected to grow at a faster pace. Benchmark predicts the price to average $18,000 a tonne between 2017-2020 against $14,000 in 2015-2016.
FOUR COMPANIES DOMINATE Top producers are looking at a bonanza if they can ramp up investment fast enough with end-user commitments in hand.
"There are four names that dominate and that is likely to be the case for the next five years," said Jeremy Kent, a portfolio manager at Allianz Global Investors.
Roskill managing director Robert Baylis estimates FMC, Albemarle, SQM and China's Tianqi Lithium Corporation 002466.SZ together accounted for 66 percent of the world's lithium carbonate equivalent last year. Wood Mackenzie consultant James Whiteside puts the figure at 78 percent.
FMC's lithium hydroxide capacity rose 80 percent in 2017 to 18,000 tonnes a year, and it has plans to boost that to 30,000 tonnes by the end of 2019. After that, capacity will be expanded as required by demand, FMC's Schneberger said.
Albemarle is planning to expand its lithium carbonate equivalent capacity to 165,000 tonnes by 2021 from 89,000 tonnes this year, a spokesperson said. "We anticipate spending $700 million and $1 billion over the next 5 years."
SQM said in an email it was planning to invest $50 million to expand its lithium carbonate capacity in Chile to 63,000 tonnes by 2018 from 48,000 tonnes currently. It also has joint ventures in Argentina and Australia to develop deposits.
Tianqui Lithium declined to comment on its investment plans.
Another company actively investing is Australia's Orocobre, which planned to produce 17,500 tonnes a year of lithium carbonate at its Olaroz facility in Argentina.
Severe weather cut this year's production to 11,700-11,800 tonnes, however.
Whiteside said Orocobre's difficulties were typical of many smaller players, noting that the Olaroz facility was the first new major brine operation started in 20 years.
"Because the number of brine operations has been so few historically, there are very few technically experienced chemical engineers to assist these junior companies," he said.
"There are people out there promoting brine projects with plans that are not as robust as they should be."
"

silu
09-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Huge advances in solar technology at the moment, both panels and battery, wish I knew what to pick.
Oil is dead, solar is the future, just finding the right horse to back.

I've exited Solar panel manufacturers 2 years ago and diversified into early stages renewable energy providers. My current and biggest bet is with Genex Power (GNX.ASX).

Bluemanarc
10-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Eat 9.5 million E cars will be made in 2025
"

So JT you are basically saying have a look at some of these Lithium producers.

silu
10-08-2017, 04:25 PM
So JT you are basically saying have a look at some of these Lithium producers.

There's more graphite than lithium in a lithium battery. I'd be careful with lithium juniors at the moment - the only one I hold is LACDF on the OTC USA market. The only couple on the ASX that are of interest to me are GXY (I've sold out as I needed cash) and PLS. fwiw my graphite play is Talga (TLG).

Joshuatree
12-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Yeah pretty weird in the Lithium space atm. But lithium are prices holding up. ORE (ASX , i have held from re 50c)) getting up to $14653 a tonne atm with cash costs of $4279. ORE is the first new Brine op in about 20 years; still getting to nameplate after many glitches ;s/p also down atm.

It went stupid for a while and every tinpot spekky stock were suddenly "exploring" for lithium and there was bit of fever around and crazy s/p rises. seems to be bit of a lag atm between all the auto makers and countries putting dates up for total switching from ICE to EV etc to the mkt believing this and seeing the EV take up take off. Until EV's pricing drop's closer to ICE )internal combustion engines) take up will be slow; unfortunately humans think of their back pockets before what comes out the tailpipe. Teslas new 3 model has been dropped to $35,000 with 500,000 deposits put down by buyers so it is happening. Musk is a genius. So id watch carefully, lithium stocks and car developments/ takeup etc and research out the rubbish pretenders. Lithium and Graphite, Cobalt, Copper etc will perform imo with the caveat of a better energy storage tech jumping out or something like Hydrogen having a breakthrough etc.

shasta
12-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Yeah pretty weird in the Lithium space atm. But lithium are prices holding up. ORE (ASX , i have held from re 50c)) getting up to $14653 a tonne atm with cash costs of $4279. ORE is the first new Brine op in about 20 years; still getting to nameplate after many glitches ;s/p also down atm.

It went stupid for a while and every tinpot spekky stock were suddenly "exploring" for lithium and there was bit of fever around and crazy s/p rises. seems to be bit of a lag atm between all the auto makers and countries putting dates up for total switching from ICE to EV etc to the mkt believing this and seeing the EV take up take off. Until EV's pricing drop's closer to ICE )internal combustion engines) take up will be slow; unfortunately humans think of their back pockets before what comes out the tailpipe. Teslas new 3 model has been dropped to $35,000 with 500,000 deposits put down by buyers so it is happening. Musk is a genius. So id watch carefully, lithium stocks and car developments/ takeup etc and research out the rubbish pretenders. Lithium and Graphite, Cobalt, Copper etc will perform imo with the caveat of a better energy storage tech jumping out or something like Hydrogen having a breakthrough etc.

I'm holding NMT as they have a direct interest in the massive MT Marion lithium project, but more interested in there downstream projects capturing other areas of the lithium market.

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=NMT&E=ASX&N=846304 for a weekend read

Rare earths still have a large part to play too especially those with high amounts of Nd and Pr which could be the next 'cobalt' hot play...

PEK and HAS are of interest to me, more so HAS as its in WA and not Africa. More known stocks include LYC and ARU which already have threads.