PDA

View Full Version : SAI (SAI Global)

tommy
17-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Being a holder of SAI, I have been watching this stock since the beginning of this year.
(Their website is http://www.sai-global.com)

It has recently overcome the psychological barrier of $2.00 and although the stock is not particularly cheap at the moment, it does seem to have great potential in the medium and long run due to the nature of its business where there are few competitors. It may be worth picking up this stock when it is cheap.

IMHO, SAI is uniquely positioned in assisting other companies gain approval for standardization (including ISO certification for quality control, environmental management, occupational health, etc.) Considering that such certification is highly valuable for many companies with global operations, and that the globalization trend is only likely to accelerate further with trade agreements, I think this is a promising growth field. SAI is already expanding rapidly into Asia and even the US.

If you own SAI or interested in this stock, I would appreciate your opinion on this company;)

tommy
23-02-2005, 03:36 AM
Announcement out! YEAH BABY[:p]

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=360177

SAI GLOBAL REPORTS HIGHER PROFIT &
INCREASED DIVIDEND

SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) today announced a net profit after tax of $5.233 million, representing an increase of 28.7% over the first half pro-forma result last year of $4.064 million.

When compared to the actual results achieved by the company last year of $2.891 million, the net profit after tax increase was 81% and earnings per share was up 79.3% to 5.2 cents per share.

As a result of this solid performance, and in particular the very strong cash inflows generated, the directors have declared an interim fully franked dividend of 4.2 cents per share, up 23.5% on the first half 2003/04.

The Chairman of SAI Global Limited, Mr George Edwards, said: gSAI Global remains focused
on building the company into a global supplier of business improvement services and the
interim results further demonstrate our commitment to the current international growth
strategy and on driving growth in revenue, profit and margins.

On the interim result the Chief Executive of SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, said:
gThis strong performance reflects our focus on customer service and an improvement in productivity. The SAI Global team around the world remain dedicated to continuously improving our performance and driving shareholder value.h

Business Publishing continued to grow revenue, profit and margins during the half. The operational focus for the period was to consolidate gains made in improving web capability and customer functionality in 2004 and commence the search for new licensing
opportunities.
Revenue growth of 6.5% over pro-forma 2003 was driven by price increases, and the revision of a number of key standards such as risk management, the storage and transportation of dangerous goods, and the gas standards.
Profit (EBITDA) grew by 11.5% and EBITDA margins were higher at 29.1%, up from 27.8% compared to last yearfs pro-formas. A continuing drive for operating efficiencies and the conversion of customers from hard copy to electronic drove the profit improvement. The search for new publishing opportunities remains a priority for the business.

Following a year of consolidation and restructuring of the Australian operations, the focus for the first half of 2004/05 was on growth. Although the business experienced a 2.8% decline in revenue compared to pro-forma first half last year, as a result of business exited as a result of the restructure, revenue from continuing businesses grew by 4%.
This growth was driven by continued success in business related training and consulting assignments. Strong order books in Australia and particularly the USA indicate that current strong revenue trend will continue on the second half.
EBITDA increased 7.5% compared to pro-forma first half last year, and EBITDA margins increased from 6.0% to 6.6%. Revenue growth and the lower cost base in Australia drove the improved profitability.
The operational focus remains on driving growth in the business improvement space, developing of an electronic platform to facilitate continuous learning models, and creating opportunities for compliance related training and consulting.

Operational efficiency and control, growth in new products, and a ebolt-onf acquisition in the USA drove the solid revenue and profit performance in the first half. EBITDA margins grew from 13.7% to 14.9%. Focus for the year was on improved customer service, operational effectiveness, product development and geographic development of the business.

Revenue growth of 9.0% was due to organic growth of 7.5% and the bolt-on acquisitions in the USA and Indonesia which added a further 1.5%. Organic growth was driven by high growth rates for developing products which more than offset the declines in the core ISO 9000 product.

Higher revenue and the continued improvement in operational fficiencies resulted in higher operating profits and margins. EBITDA grew by 18.6% over

tommy
23-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Trading halt in effect... wonder what's brewing[?][?]

robbo
23-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Pre Opens are normallyy 90% of the time a sign of something quite good in the air, so hope that IS INDEED the circ. here as well, and that will be potentially nice and profitable and deservedly so for you Tommy ;):)

........just from a cursory glance from From the numbers;... I could see; maybe a bit of negative exposure with this co. vis-a-vis their (a) Level of Debt//Gearing...ie: a bit stretched on the overdraft' .... and (b) their turnover of stock inventory or ability to eailly and speedily "spin off wads of cash" ....which, I think is the fashionable phrase for this aspect of a business, these days....

which in the case of this firm is a bit of a querry...hmmmm....

But; as I say, do not know diddley squat about the NATURE of firm's business enterprise, and THE pre-open could hopefully be a real POSITIVE upward rating humdinger !!

Good luck, and here's hoping it surely is ??

By the way Tommy, what intrinsically appealed to you about this organization, and the investment grade qualities of this firm Tommy ???

Be very interested to catch a glimplse into the thinking and all-knowing omniscience mind; of the "power of the darkside !!"[:o)][:o)] [8D][8D] :)

Regards,

Robbo:):)

tommy
23-02-2005, 03:50 PM
OOPS, I had not read the other trading halt announcement:

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=360232

Apparently SAI's major shareholder Standards Australia is gonna sell off its SAI holdings through institutional bookbuild. Mmm... Is this good news? Confused.

_________
Hi Robbo,

I was interested in this company because of:

(1) Its branding, being the owner of the red "five tick" standards mark that you see on the back of products certified to be compliant with OZ standards;
(2) Has operations overseas and is expanding;
(3) Is in a growing business of certification (let's say you build a factory in a developing country, western multinationals are more willing to outsource production to you if you can PROVE that you operate in compliance with internationally recognized quality control, environmental and occupational health & safety standards);
(4) Diverse clients (70% of companies in S&P/ASX 200 are SAI customers);
(5) Subsidiary of Standards Australia, the peak non-government
standards development body in Australia.

It just looked like a relatively safe long-term investment play as they operate in a growing market that benefits from increased regulations, with seemingly no rivals in Australia. I bought the stock at $1.72 last year and have been holding it since... basically shoved this one under the draw. Perhaps a bit of a boring stock for traders[}:)]

corky
25-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Good result from the sale of the Standards Aus. overhang Tommy esp the 2.20 price. Will help liquidity too. I hold (in Super) for similar reasons to you and like the future prospects, particularly if those margins can be maintained.

Corky

tommy
02-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Recent announcement shows big instos increasing shareholding of SAI... not a bad development;)

tommy
12-04-2005, 02:01 PM
SAI has stagnated for a while, in the meantime announcement out today regarding Challenger increasing stake in SAI. Yawn...

tommy
29-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Article on SAI:

http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/b4/0c02f4b4.asp

Accreditation to treat wood packaging

SAI Global has been accredited by JAS-ANZ to certify products under the Australian Wood Packaging Certification Scheme (AWPCS).

The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) has established this Scheme to help Australian exporters meet the international standard for treated wood packaging used in the export trade.

The International Standard for Phytosanitary Measures - Guidelines for Regulating Wood Packaging in International Trade (ISPM 15) was adopted by the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) in recognition of the plant health risk associated with wood packaging.

gThe standard has been designed to significantly lessen the risk of unprocessed raw wood being used as a pathway for the introduction and the spread of pests and diseases through international trade,h according to general manager of product certification at SAI Global, Mario Battaglia.

gUnder the new certification scheme wood packaging manufacturers and treatment providers, who meet the requirements of ISPM 15, will be certified by SAI Global so that they can apply the internationally recognized IPPC mark to wood packaging intended for use in the export trade,h Battaglia said.

gThis certification will be vital to all exporters using wood packaging, such as pallets and boxes, including those in the food, wine, automotive and other export industries.h

gTo meet the requirements of AWPCS all wood packaging material needs to undergo either heat treatment or fumigation with methyl bromide and be marked with a unique certification number and a country code to speed up the process through customs.h

gTo verify that treatment has occurred, and to provide traceability to the country of origin, packaging material that meet the requirements and that have been certified under the AWPCS Scheme will be eligible to display the IPPC mark.h

29 April 2005

tommy
09-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Presentation to Emerging Leaders Conference:

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=368560

________
Share price hovering near $2 these days... will be a bargain buy at below $2 in my opinion[:I]

corky
09-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey Tommy

We'll just keep talking to each other. Everything in the prezzo looks good to me, happy to see the margins continue to grow. Boring growth likely to continue.

Corky

tommy
14-05-2005, 12:57 AM
Brilliant news out!

13 May 2005
SAI makes strategic trans-Atlantic acquisition

London, UK, May 13, 2005 - SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) today announced the acquisition of Easy i Holdings Limited, a compliance training and awareness solutions company with operations in the United Kingdom and the United States.

Easy i is a leader in the high growth market for the delivery of standards and regulatory compliance solutions. This acquisition enhances SAI Global in three important aspects, it provides:

#8226; Substantial entry into on-line delivery and compliance markets, with a highly scalable platform and a substantive client list of international blue chip companies.

#8226; A solid UK base from which to leverage all of its operations into Europe.

#8226; An established platform to enter the Australian and Asia Pacific markets for these services.

The transaction will add in excess of $12 million in revenues to SAI in the 2005-06 financial year and is expected to be EPS accretive.

The Chief Executive Officer at SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, said this transaction is part of our growth strategy and delivers on our stated intentions to enter the compliance solutions market and establish a significant presence in Europe.

gEasy i brings to SAI a blue chip client base and has a track record in delivering practical solutions that address organizations complete compliance training and reporting needs.h

gStrategically the transaction extends our portfolio of standards and compliance based products and provides us with a tried and proven on line training platform. It also offers a significant opportunity to grow our compliance based business and develop a broader range of information based compliance products including the financial advisors market,h said Mr Wraight.

Easy i has several million users based in more than 100 countries and its major clients include; General Electric, the US Department of Defence, Airbus, Diageo, Eli Lilly, ING, Saudi Telecom, Roche, Standard & Poorfs, TD Bank, PepsiCo and Daimler Chrysler.

In paying $28.3 million representing a forward EBITDA multiple of approximately 7 times, SAIfs Chief Operating Officer, Mr Tony Scotton, said, Easy i has a highly skilled workforce delivering substantial returns in the high growth compliance market. In total Easy i employs 47 staff spread across the UK and US. The purchase price consists of cash and the issue of 2.2 million escrowed shares to executive shareholders.

gThis move into the compliance solutions market aligns with our existing business activities and provides us with a much needed operational base in Europe. As a separate division Easy i will have access to the resources and synergies that exist across SAI,h said Mr Scotton.

gThe business continues to show strong growth driven by organizations seeking to help ensure their employees understand the plethora of requirements surrounding risk, regulation and standards compliance.h

gCorporations now have to deal with demands from every quarter to visibly improve governance, risk management and standards within their operations and to protect and enhance their reputation. Investor, employee, audit and consumer demands are now backed up by substantive legislation such as Sarbanes Oxley in the USA and its equivalents elsewhere, the new Basel rules for Banks and other sector led codes. Easy i has significant presence in key regulated industries including the banking, financial services and pharmaceuticals sectors.h

gThe deal will also assist with the strategic development of our Professional Services business, with the potential to use Easy ifs intellectual property and on line delivery platform to distribute and support our traditional training and consulting products.h
According to the Chief Executive Officer of Easy i Mr Terry Hancock, who will be staying with the organization, the transaction will take Easy i to the next stage of development.

gOur focus on issues

tommy
18-05-2005, 09:23 PM
SAI sell side getting extremely thin...

Safe Buy Small Caps
May 18 2005 - Australasian Investment Review #8211; (AIR)

Just Group (JST) and Schaffer (SFC) have once again reminded us this market is still about profit downgrades and that is keeping investors on the hunt for so-called Safe Buys. ABN Amro Morgans recently provided its clientele with a top ten of Safe Buys in its small cap coverage.

In the list were: Australian Infrastructure (AIF), Cardno (CDD), Cabcharge Australia (CAB), SFE Corporation (SFE), Prime Infrastructure (PIF), SAI Global (SAI), Investor Group (IGP), Oamps (OMP), Transfield Services (TSE) and Transonic Travel (TNS).

Also, the battle for the top spot as Australiafs highest recommended stock has become a Murdoch-Packer event with Publishing & Broadcasting (PBL) now carrying eight Buy recommendations and two Holds, the same as News Corp (NWS). Newcrest (NCM) has eight Buys, one Hold and one Sell. (Data FN Arena)

David Hardman
18-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Tommy

SAI also had a two page write up in the latest Shares Mag (came out last week)

tommy
19-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info Dave, what did it say in the Shares mag? Good article? Will try to look for the thing on the net but if I can't, will have to get a copy from the local news agent later!

tommy
27-05-2005, 02:04 PM
SAI has been really coming back over the past few days, sell side getting thinner and thinner... will reach new highs at this rate I think[:I]

P.S. Bought the Share magazine the other day which had very good article on SAI... shame there is no way to put it online!

tommy
16-06-2005, 03:26 PM
SAI has been inching up constantly lately, recovering dramatically since May! The sell side is getting thinner than ever[:I]

Hope some of your watchers have got in during the big correction...
This is a boring stock to watch and trade but might be good enough for long-term holders like me;)

corky
17-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Tommy Tommy!

What have you been doing? You've told all your mates about SAI haven't you? Now its at an all time high on volume! It's meant to be a slow plodder - let's keep a lid on it eh? ;)

Corky

tommy
18-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Hi Corky,

Mmm... although this is one of my favorite stocks (only second to MAL!), I only now and again talk to myself on this thread... so I have no idea as to why the price and volume suddenly increased! The only rational explanation I have is that a few people must have decided that SAI's positioning in standardization services is a no-brainer in the medium/long run?!;)

I was actually expecting SAI to creep up over time before the earnings announcement season, especially because the instos seem to be quite positive about SAI's earnings forecasts (ranging between 49.6% and 72.5% increase in earnings for fiscal 2005).

SAI's strength lies in its ability to increase margins by further shifting to electronic publishing, and in its constant revenue stream secured through subscriptions (money received IN ADVANCE annually) And looking at its financial positioning, SAI should be able to continue implementing its growth strategy through acquisitions of businesses overseas to expand its revenue base.

But I DO have one concern: as much as I love SAI's business, I do not know how efficiently and quickly they can bring about the cost and revenue synergies they had expected from the acquisitions, in its quest for growth and global expansion.
I know they're aggressive towards bolt-on acquisitions, but I just hope they don't pay more than what the takeover targets are actually worth. The recent takeover of Easy i Holdings, which has an impressive clientele list, sounded great but the outcome will not be reflected this fiscal year (SAI is projecting revenue in excess of $12 million to be added from the acquisition of Easy i Holdings but what about costs & margins?? Mmm...)

Anyway, I hope SAI will eventually turn into a little golden egg by the time we retire... or preferably before that:D

tommy
22-06-2005, 02:04 PM
SAI sustains its steady uptrend[:p]

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=372942

MEDIA & ASX ANNOUNCEMENT 22 June 2005
SAI Launches On-line Compliance Product

SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) today announced the Australian launch of its on-line compliance solution, OCCAM, designed to help organization meet a variety of standards and regulatory compliance issues.

The global compliance market is highly fragmented and estimated to be a multi-billion dollar industry and the increasing demand by large multi-nationals for global solutions and capability has continued to drive industry rationalisation.

The Chief Executive of SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, said: gIncreasingly compliance with standards and regulatory regimes around the world is dominating the Board agenda and our vision for our Compliance Services division is to empower organizations to cost effectively manage their compliance training and awareness requirements #8211; taking the issue out of the Boardroom.h

gThe Australian launch of the OCCAM product comes following last monthfs acquisition of Easy i in the United Kingdom and United States and forms part of SAIfs strategic move into the global compliance market. OCCAM also positions SAI well to enter the Australian market for the training of financial advisers,h said Mr Wraight.

According to our Chief Executive of Easy i, Mr Terry Hancock: gRisk management, regulation, compliance, governance and standards training and awareness has driven the growth in our business since 1991. By specializing in making these complex issues easily accessible and
meaningful to employees at all levels we continue to attract and retain blue chip clients.h

gWhile most of our solutions are delivered via web we do offer a full service offering. We currently have several million users of courses globally operating in more than 25 languages.h

Easy i offers training and awareness courses in the areas of: Anti Money Laundering, Business Ethics, Financial Compliance, Fraud Prevention, Information Security, Privacy and Data Protection, Process Compliance, Systems Compliance, Organizational Risk Management and
Managed Learning Services.

According to Mr Hancock: gToday, our business is split evenly between North America and the European Union, and we have recurring revenues of approximately 40% which are generated by the licensing of our software and content updates.h

gThe business has been consistently profitable and generates positive operating cashflow, and our model of creating generic content solutions with ownership of full intellectual property rights in key compliance areas makes the business highly scalable.h

gOur historic sales growth has been around 20% p.a. and our sales target for 2005-06 is around $12 million, with a projected EBITDA of approximately $4 million.

gGoing forward we plan to build an Australian business unit and continue to grow the business in the USA, Asia and Europe, particularly France and Scandinavia, and work to increase the levels of business from current clients. We also plan to grow direct revenue from OCCAM and improve proportion of recurring revenues.h

gWith SAIfs North American training arm, Excel Partnership, we plan to create scalable on-line retail model using OCCAM technology, content resources and collaborate on new blended learning solutions in information security and other relevant sectors.h

gOne of the major strategic advantages we have is our OCCAM product. It offers all organizations large and small a simple to use, quick to implement solution that is compliant with international standards and can integrate with and roll-out any on-line content including PDF,
PowerPoint, audio and video.h

gOCCAM also has the ability to synchronise with proprietary systems including Active Directory, Oracle and PeopleSoft.h

We believe we have a highly scalable business model that fits with growing demand for global compliance solutions. We are also excited about the potential t

tommy
08-08-2005, 02:03 PM
http://www.aireview.com/index.php?act=view&catid=8&id=2397

_______
SAI Cheap For A Monopoly, Merrills Says
August 08 2005 - Australasian Investment Review #8211; (AIR)

The analysts at Merrill Lynch have initiated coverage SAI Global (SAI) with a Buy, High Risk recommendation as they see it as "cheap for a monopoly."

"Despite an exhaustive list of high quality features, SAI only trades at a 4% PE premium to the market in FY06," the analysts add.

The brokerfs price target of $3.00 represents an expected total return of 23% compared with the current share price and even if the stock were to reach $3.00, it would still be trading at a 6% discount to other small cap monopolies like SFE and UNiTAB, the broker argues.

The August 23rd result is expected to "bolster SAIfs superiority amongst weaker outlooks elsewhere in the small cap sector."

tommy
19-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Announcement out! SAI Global's quest to become a bigger monopoly continues...

SAI acquires leading regulatory publisher &
compliance provider

Melbourne, Aust, August 19, 2005 - SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) today announced the acquisition of the Victorian based Anstat Group, one of Australiafs leading providers of information and risk management solutions to the legal, property and corporate compliance markets.

The transaction is expected to add in excess of $24 million in annualised revenues to SAI in the first year and is expected to be cash EPS accretive.

The Chairman of SAI Global Limited, Mr George Edwards, said: gThis transaction delivers on the Companyfs strategy to build a substantial technical publishing business which will including standards and regulatory publications from across the globe.h

According to the Chief Executive Officer of SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, this acquisition enhances SAI Globalfs business in four important aspects, it provides:==

* A significant increase to the business base of the Publishing division, and enhances opportunities for further growth;
* Another powerful entry point to the rapidly growing market for compliance and risk management software and services;
* Access to a well-respected brand, an established customer base, and quality annuity style income streams;==
* Proven managerial and entrepreneurial capability.
gAnstat has been the official publisher of hard copy legislation on behalf of the Victorian government since 1996. It has subsequently added Federal and other State legislation tracking to its portfolio. In addition to legal publishing, Anstat holds exclusive publishing
rights for the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code,h said Mr Wraight.

===============================================
1 Cash EPS is calculated by adding back certain non-cash expenses such as amortisation to reported Net Profit
After Tax and dividing the resulting amount by the average number of shares outstanding during the period.
This amount forms the basis of determining the Companyfs dividends.

In welcoming the Anstat team to the SAI, Mr Ross Wraight said: gThe transaction is part of our growth strategy and delivers on our stated intention to add non-traditional standards content and move into other areas of technical and business publishing such as the legal
and regulatory compliance market.h

gAnstat brings to SAI a solid track record in delivering practical solutions that address organizationsf regulatory and compliance needs,h said Mr Wraight.

gThe acquisition is a very significant step towards the achievement of our strategic intent for Publishing which is to build a $100 million technical publishing, distribution and information business.h

Anstatfs Executive Chairman Alan Schwartz, who will be staying with the business, said:
gWe think SAI Global is a great Company and is an extremely good fit for Anstat. We have chosen to receive a large proportion of consideration in SAI shares and we look forward to joining the SAI team.h

gThe transaction will take Anstat to the next stage of development in what is a very exciting time in the global compliance and risk management market,h said Mr Schwartz.

Anstatfs Managing Director, Mr Jacob Weinmann, who will also be staying with the organization, said: gGoing forward the SAI group will allow us to expand our content offering and geographical presence as well as helping drive new modes of distribution and development for current SAI solutions. SAI will also help accelerate the global distribution of our successful compliance and risk management software solutions.h

According to Mr Wraight: gThe deal will provide SAI Global with a stronger and sustainable business model for its Publishing division by reducing its dependence on a single contract and adding to the management capability of the business. Importantly, the Anstat Group
team of staff have years of experience and a proven track r

tommy
23-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Not a bad result announced by SAI Global:

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=378980

SAI GLOBAL REPORTS STRONG GROWTH

SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) today announced a net profit after tax of $11.4 million, representing an increase of 37.3% over last yearfs pro-forma result of $8.3 million.

Earnings per share was up 36.1% to 11.3 cents per share from last yearfs pro-forma of 8.3 cents.

As a result of this solid performance, and in particular the very strong cash inflows generated, the directors have declared a final fully franked dividend of 5.0 cents per share, up 25% on the final dividend for 2004 of 4 cents. This brings the total dividends for the
year to 9.2 cents, up 24% on last year.

HIGHLIGHTS
Net Profit After Tax $11.4 million Up 37.3% on pro-forma 2004
EBITDA $19.4 million Up 19.8% on pro-forma 2004 Revenue (excl interest) $105.9 million Up 9.6% on pro-forma 2004 EPS 11.3 cents per share Up 36.1% on pro-forma 2004

Fully Franked Dividend
5.0 cents per share 1.0 cent higher than 2004 final
dividend

Net Operating Cash Inflow
$15.2 million Up from $10.4 million last year
The Chairman of SAI Global Limited, Mr George Edwards, said: gSAI Global has continued to improve profit and dividends in another year of significant growth for the Company. Going
forward SAI will work to extend its base overseas and expand into the compliance area, building its global presence and reputation.h
On the full year result the Chief Executive of SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, said: "This strong performance reflects our focus on serving our customers, driving productivity improvements and the intelligent use of electronic technologies. The SAI Global team around the world remain dedicated to continuously improving our performance and delivering shareholder value.h

tommy
25-08-2005, 02:13 PM
News article out:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/sai-global-picks-up-law-publisher-to-widen-base/2005/08/24/1124562921331.html

SAI Global picks up law publisher to widen base
By Leon Gettler
August 25, 2005

SAI GLOBAL, the successful commercial arm of Australia's standard setters, has expanded into the law, property and risk management markets with the $30 million acquisition of the Victorian-based Anstat group, publishers of legislation and legal information.

SAI Global has acquired Anstat in a deal comprising an initial payment of approximately 9.6 million SAI Global shares, escrowed for 12 months and worth $25 million, and $4.8m in cash.

In addition to that, it has struck an "earn-out" agreement of cash payments of up to $20 million if the loss-making Lawlex part of Anmtat's business adds another $2.5 million in incremental growth in earnings before interest and tax by June 2008. The target figure is capped.

SAI Global expects the acquisition will add more than $24 million in annualised revenues in the first year. Just as importantly however, the acquisition is expected to broaden SAI Global's revenue base.

The Anstat business publishes state and federal government legislation, property information required for conveyancing and information about changes to legislation.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Spun off the non-profit, non-government organisation Standards Australia in 2003, SAI Global this week reported a net annual profit $11.4 million, up 37.3 per cent on last year's pro-forma result. This was on revenue $105.9 million.

SAI Global shares yesterday firmed 1‘ to close at $2.68.

http://www.digitalmediaasia.com/default.asp?articleID=9788

Australia > Tech & IT
SAI acquires regulatory publisher & compliance provider

19/08/2005 by Parthajit

SAI Global Limited has announced the acquisition of the Victorian based Anstat Group,an Australian provider of information and risk management solutions to the legal, property and corporate compliance markets.

The transaction is expected to add in excess of $24m in annualised revenues to SAI in the first year and is expected to be cash EPS accretive.

SAI revealed that this transaction delivers on the company's strategy to build a substantial
technical publishing business which will including standards and regulatory publications from across the globe.

tommy
19-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Annual report out:

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=382665

tommy
26-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Great news but SAI's rapid pace of expansion is starting to worry me a little bit... are they just aggressively expanding for the sake of expansion, or have they actually derived cost/earnings synergies already from the recent acquisition with Easy i? Interesting times.

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=383670

OCCAM Bytes into UK software reseller market

Norwich, United Kingdom [UK], September 26, 2005 - SAI Global Limitedfs (ASX: SAI) compliance services arm, Easy i, has entered the software reseller market through a deal with Bytes Technology Group, the UKfs third largest solution provider certified by Microsoft.
The deal will see Bytes provide Easy ifs Learning Management System [LMS] software OCCAM to clients who purchase or renew their Enterprise Agreement with Bytes as the reseller as of October 2005.

The Chief Executive of SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, said: gTraditionally, OCCAM has been part of an end-to-end training and awareness solution however this deal forms part of our strategy to market OCCAM as a product in its own right.
h
gWe remain committed to building the Easy i business globally and on exploring ways in which we can continue to exploit our growing portfolio of products and services,h said Mr Wraight.

According to the CEO of Easy i, Mr Terry Hancock: gClients who choose to purchase or renew their Enterprise Agreement with Bytes will receive added value in the form of a more accessible Microsoft eLearning Library.h

The Microsoft eLearning Library provides clients with an extensive range of on-line interactive learning courses on Microsoft desktop and server software.

According to Mr Hancock: gUnder the deal, we will be providing a fully managed service including the hosting of a dedicated portal for each client backed by extensive technical support.h

gBy using the hosted OCCAM Learning Management System platform clients can distribute and track eLearning courses from other content suppliers, including Easy ifs range of compliance solutions and those from other major catalogue providers.h

The Marketing Director of Bytes Darren Spence said: gWe are delighted to be working with Easy i and are very impressed with the power of the OCCAM LMS. It is very quick toimplement and one of the most easy to use learning management system products on the market.h

gOCCAM offers clients an ideal platform to stage the wider distribution of on-line policies and procedures as well as enterprise-wide learning content. Easy i has an excellent reputation for its range of compliance and risk courses and their award winning development services," said Mr Spence.

According to Mr Hancock: "We are continuing to grow OCCAMfs global user base by partnering with carefully selected content providers.h
gOCCAM continues to prove itself, offering clients a big-ticket earning management system without the big ticket. While clients pay for our support and related services as required, no licence fees are being charged for the product."

Further information about SAI Globalfs range of products and services can be found at http://www.sai-global.com.

tommy
01-12-2005, 04:09 PM
http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=392783

Chinafs CQC & SAI form global certification
and training alliance
Beijing, China, December 1, 2005

#8211; Chinafs largest certification body, the China Quality
Certification Centre (CQC), and SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) have signed a joint venture contract to establish a joint company to deliver certification and training services across the Peoplefs Republic of China and other countries in Asia.

The services offered by the joint venture company, CQC-SAI Global, stand to be of great benefit to Chinese businesses seeking to access the major trade flows around the world.

The joint venture agreement provides:
- Chinese companies with access to certification and training services around the world
- Clients with the opportunity to licence both the CCC Certification Mark and gFive Checksh StandardsMark
- Significant technical support in the form of certification and training to the expanding domestic Chinese economy

The Chief Executive of SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, said: gWe are delighted to cement our long standing relationship with CQC through this joint venture agreement which represents a significant boost for global business.h

gBy working with CQC we will help to serve Chinese businesses who are exporting products and services into international markets. Our expanding international network of auditors and our increasingly strong presence in the United States and Europe stand to be of great benefit to Chinese industry,h said Mr Wraight.

gWith China growing at around 9% each year and exporting more than US$342 billion worth of goods and services in the first half 2005 alone, the demand for technical support services such as certification and training remains strong.h

gBy joining forces with CQC, Chinafs leading certification organization, we are entering the marketplace with significant expertise, a network of branch offices and will be in a strong
position to access new markets and service customer segments within China.h

gThrough a reciprocal arrangement the joint venture company will be able to issue both the Chinese CCC mark and the gFive Checksh StandardsMark in China.h

gThe agreement also delivers on SAI Globalfs strategic intent to establish a physical operation in China, which stands to further support our more than 500 strong existing customer base.h

SAI Globalfs existing customers in China include: American Standard, Pacific Dunlop, Computer Associates, Fujitsu, Hewlett Packard, Matsu****a, Samsung, Sunbeam, Ansul Fire Equipment Shanghai, Biz LInk Electronics, Changshu Jiangnan Glass Fibre Co.Ltd and Fang Master Enterprise.

Further information about the range of products and services offered by CQC and SAI Global can be found at http://www.cqc.com.cn and http://www.sai-global.com.

Media Inquiries
Tom Godfrey #8211; SAI Global
+61 2 8206 6863 #183; 0414 191 034 #183; tom.godfrey@sai-global.com

SAI Global is one of the worldfs leading business publishing, compliance, training and assurance organisations with offices in China, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, North America, and across Asia. Through its extensive e-capabilities and its network of auditors, experts and training professionals SAI Global works with organisations to help them build better businesses. http://www.sai-global.com

China Quality Certification Center (CQC) is the largest, specialised certification body in China with 45 sub-branches, 180 contracted testing labs and more than 5000 multidiscipline full time and part time auditors. http://www.cqc.com.cn/

tommy
21-12-2005, 02:05 PM
http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=395142

SAI acquires premier European food safety
auditing body

London, United Kingdom, December 21, 2005 - SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) today announced the acquisition of EFSIS Limited, one of Europefs leading food safety inspection and certification organizations.

In paying approximately AUD$12 million in cash for the business, funded by new borrowings, the Chief Executive of SAI Global Limited Mr Ross Wraight, said, the transaction is expected to add in excess of AUD$20 million in annualised revenues and will be cash EPS accretive in its first year of SAI ownership.

According to Mr Wraight: gThis transaction delivers on the Companyfs strategy to build a leading global assurance business and have a significant physical presence in the European market.h

The acquisition enhances the business in three important aspects, it provides:==

#8226; A significant increase to the European business base of the Assurance Services Division, and enhances opportunities for further growth across Europe;

#8226; A powerful enhancement to SAIfs business in the rapidly growing market for food safety certification and inspection =

#8226; Access to a well-respected brand, an established customer base, and quality annuity style income streams.

According to EFSISfs Managing Director, Mr Mark Proctor, who will be staying with the organization: gWe are delighted to be joining the SAI Global group and remain focussed on growing a global business in the food services sector.h

gEFSIS currently has a major share of the food inspection market in the United Kingdom and we are the European brand leader in the food sector having become one of the most widely recognised certification bodies among retailers and other purchasers,h said Mr Proctor.

In welcoming the EFSIS team to SAI Global, Mr Ross Wraight said: gThe transaction is part of our growth strategy and delivers on our stated intention to establish a physical operation in Europe and extend our influence in the food safety market.

gHead quartered North of London at Milton Keynes and with physical offices in Germany, Spain, France, the Czech Republic and Thailand, this business greatly increases our market position and aligns with our existing assurance business activities.

EFSISfs inspection and certification services are accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) to the European Standards EN 45004, EN 54011 and EN 45012.

The processes and systems to which EFSIS inspects and certifies include a wide range of international, European, country specific and corporate/industry specific standards for quality and food safety including: ISO 9001, HACCP, HACCP 9000, ISO 22000, BRC Global
Food Standard, EUREPGAP Produce, UK and Ireland agricultural inspections and second party inspections.

Media & Investor Relations Inquiries
0414 191 034 #183; tom.godfrey@sai-global.com
SAI Global is one of the worldfs leading business publishing, compliance, training and assurance organisations with offices in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, North America, and across Asia.

Through its extensive e-capabilities and its network of auditors, experts and training professionals SAI Global works with organisations to help them build better businesses. http://www.sai-global.com
EFSIS was formed in 1989 by the Camden and Chorleywood Food Research Association Group (CCFRA) and the Meat and Livestock Commission (MLA) and is one of Europefs leading providers of independent inspection and certification services to Retailers, manufacturers, farmers and caterers in the area of food safety. http://www.efsis.co.uk/

1 Cash EPS is calculated by adding back certain non-cash expenses such as amortisation to reported Net Profit After Tax and dividing the resulting amount by the average number of shares outstanding during the period. This amount forms the basis of determining the Companyfs dividends.

corky
13-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Greetings Tommy (and anyone else who looks)

Interesting to see SAI poke over the $3 even if on small volume - better than drifting down on small volume I spose - and maybe likely to slip back just as quick. Haven't seen any broker comments for a while so not sure what's driven the recent move. Any ideas?

Corky
Holding SAI in Super

tommy
14-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi corky,

I have no idea what is pushing up the price of SAI but as you said it is based merely on small volumes...

Having said that, the beauty of SAI is that it is both defensive (has a monopoly in Australia's standardization sector) and expansion (aggressive overseas bolt-on acquisitions). Good long term hold, although earnings predictions will become more difficult as an increasing proportion of their revenue will come from overseas where they have less market share.

Anyway, I LOVE their business model and the international trend towards standardization cannot be reversed. Although it's not a flashy stock for short-term traders, let's enjoy the long, slow but steady upward trend;)

tommy
19-01-2006, 07:00 PM
http://www.financialstandard.com.au/index.php?id=7089

Ethical investment education comes online

Thursday, 19 Jan 2006 10:28AM

Ethical investment will come online this year, with Australiafs first educational course being offered to Financial advisers worldwide.

Global assurance and compliance group, SAI Global Limited, have announced that they will partner with the Ethical Investment Association (EIA) to bring a course to the market that offers an SRI symbol of certification upon completion.

SAI Chief Executive, Ross Wraight, said that the partnership in bringing to the market ethical investment e-learning is a sign of the growing popularity of the sector.

gWe think therefs growing demand in investment advice and this is an important topical area to be in for us in northern hemisphere for our operations.h

He added, gThere is strong demand in the Australian market at the ethical end of investments, with up to $8 billion invested in sustainable and ethical funds, so it seemed to us to be an important area that is continuing to grow.h

AMP fianncial planning's chief operating officer, Neil Macdonald, says that AMP's planners have been offering ethical investment advice for years and agrees that the course will meet growing demand for information in the area.

"The EIA's new course will help imrpove the ethical investment skills of our financial advisory team that numbers more than 1,300 across the country."

The coursefs content has been developed by EIA and will be offered through a three hour online session that uses case studies and question and answers to deliver the information.

While still in the development stage, Wraight says that everything going to plan, the first course will be gout of the gateh in March this year, when it is expected that the take up from financial planning and adviser groups will be strong.

gAMP financial planning have recently signed up their dealer network and are keen to use the certification program,h said Wright, adding that they are currently kicking off discussions with the other top 20 financial planning houses.

tommy
08-02-2006, 03:31 PM
SAI signs joint venture in Japan!

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=399223

tommy
15-02-2006, 03:43 PM
SAI up 4% today, perhaps in anticipation of good half-year results????

SAI has become higher-risk due to overseas expansion through recent acquisitions and I am extremely interested in how this Aussie monopoly will perform in the global market... this year's results should indicate whether the management is capable of building a global empire long-term or whether it ends up sacrificing its successful business model.

SAI shares have performed solidly since its float (http://asx.netquote.com.au/charts.asp?code=sai&x=0&y=0)

but now getting a bit anxious about whether the synergies are translated into healthy margins... keeping my fingers crossed[:I]

tommy
16-02-2006, 01:13 AM
YEAH! SAI delivers again[:p]

Half year results and presentation:

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=400127
____

MEDIA & ASX ANNOUNCEMENT 15 February 2006
SAI GLOBAL REPORTS STRONG GROWTH

SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) today announced a 33.3% increase in revenues for the six month period ended on 31 December 2005. Total revenues were $68.9 million, up from $51.7 million in the corresponding period.

Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) increased by 40.7% to $12.8 million, up from $9.1 million in the corresponding period. EBITDA margins expanded to 18.6%, up from 17.6% a year ago.

As a result of this solid performance, the directors have declared an interim fully franked dividend of 5.0 cents per share, up 19% on the interim dividend for 2004 of 4.2 cents. Adjusted net profit after tax, which is a proxy measure of the groupfs cash earnings, was $8.8 million, up 48.1% over the $5.9 million achieved in the corresponding period.

Based on Australian equivalents to International Financial Reporting Standards (AIFRS)1, net profit after tax was $5.9 million, representing an increase of 14.8% over the first half result of $5.1 million in the corresponding period. Earnings per share were up 7.8% to 5.5 cents per share from the first half last year of 5.1 cents. Adjusted earnings per share were up 39.0% to 8.2 cents per share from 5.9 cents.

HIGHLIGHTS
Revenue $68.9 million Up 33.3% on 2004
EBITDA $12.8 million Up 40.7% on 2004
Net Profit After Tax $5.9 million Up 14.8% on 2004
Adjusted NPAT $8.8 million2 Up 48.1% on 2004
EPS 5.5 cents per share Up 7.8% on 2004
Adjusted EPS 8.2 cents per share3 Up 39.0% on 2004
Fully Franked Dividend 5.0 cents per share Up 19% from 4.2 cents in corresponding period
Net Operating Cash Inflow $7.7 million Up from $6.8 million last year

The Chairman of SAI Global Limited, Mr George Edwards, said: gAs SAI Global emerges as a true global service provider it continues to improve profit and dividends in what was another half of significant growth for the Company. Going forward SAI will work to consolidate and
extend its business base in all markets in which it operates, further enhancing its reputation and extending its global presence.h

On the half year result the Chief Executive of SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, said:
gOnce again this strong performance reflects the integrity of our strategy, execution and business model, our focus on serving our customers, driving productivity improvements and the intelligent use of electronic technologies. The growing SAI Global team around the
world continue to deliver and are dedicated to continuously improving SAIfs performance and delivering shareholder value.h

tommy
17-02-2006, 02:27 PM
http://www.aireview.com/index.php?act=view&catid=8&id=3575

Good Result At SAI Receives Upgrade At ABN
February 17 2006 - Australasian Investment Review #8211; (AIR)

After the company reported a profit above its forecast ABN Amro has upgraded SAI Global (SAI) to Buy from Hold, while lifting its target price to $3.30 from $3.00.

The company`s profit result of $8.8m was above the broker`s $8.3m forecast and reflects net profit growth of 48% on the previous corresponding period.

The broker suggess the 2H profit should also be strong, while the potential for further acquisitions supports its upgraded recommendation.

Despite the positive outlook the broker has made cuts to its EBITDA forecasts of 5% for the next three years, which has contributed to its valuation on the stock falling to $2.97 from $3.00.

In the FN Arena database six leading brokers and equity researchers cover the stock, with four rating it as Buy/Outperform and two rating it as Hold.

The last sale price for SAI was $3.00.

tommy
31-03-2006, 01:26 PM
http://sa.iguana2.com/cache/5b54a0909fae5bdaf05d7e99e0115a01/ASX-SAI-405989.pdf

MEDIA & ASX ANNOUNCEMENT 31 March 2006
SAI bolts-on in Britain with third acquisition

London, UK, 31 March 2006. SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) has acquired the United Kingdom (UK) based assurance company Central Certification Service Limited (CCS) for 300,000 pounds.

On announcing the small strategic bolt-on acquisition the Chief Executive of SAI Global Limited, Mr Ross Wraight, said the deal helps to build SAIfs business base in the United Kingdom and further serves to extend its assurance product lines in that market.

CCS is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) to conduct certification audits to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and QS 9000. CCS was formed in 1989 and has more than 600 clients.

gThis is SAIfs third acquisition in the UK placing it in a good position to further extend its influence across the region. The move is in line with its strategy to establish a credible presence in key geographic markets,h said Mr Wraight.

gLarge multinational clients continue to demand one provider of business improvement and compliance services globally and it is essential that SAI continues to develop its reach in the Northern hemisphere.h

The news comes following SAIfs recent acquisition of EFSIS, one of the largest European food assurance businesses.

SAI now has a global network of offices in countries including: Japan, China, Thailand, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Sweden, the United States, Mexico, India, Turkey, Egypt, Australia, and New Zealand.

For further information regarding this announcement please visit http://www.saiglobal.com.

Investor Relations & Media Inquiries
+61 2 8206 6863 #183; 0414 191 034 #183; tom.godfrey@sai-global.com

SAI Global (ASX: SAI) is one of the worldfs leading business publishing, compliance, training and
assurance organisations. Through its extensive e-capabilities and its network of auditors, experts
and training professionals SAI Global works with organisations to help them build better businesses.
http://www.saiglobal.com.

corky
01-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Come on Tommy - get the latest announcement up :)

ILI is the latest with a cap raising to pay down debt (wonder what price?) and an SPP to holders as at May 3.

SenSAItional stuff.

Corky

tommy
01-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi Corky,

Been busy today so could not sit in front of the computer... but I'm back now so here is the post (Great news, but trading halt still in effect!) SAI is steadily becoming a bigger player in the international standardization field, while enjoying a monopoly in Australia.
___
http://sa.iguana2.com/cache/ab6754103694b496e5e3ae71718dd44c/ASX-SAI-409409.pdf

SAI COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF ILI*

SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) is pleased to announce it has completed the acquisition of ILI, a UKbased international standards publishing and database subscription services business, for US$60 million
(the gAcquisitionh). ILI represents an important strategic acquisition for the continued growth and expansion of SAIfs publishing business, with operations in the UK, Europe and North America and an
extensive range of intellectual property licences.

The Acquisition:
- adds scale to SAIfs core publishing business, with annual publishing revenue to exceed A$70 million;
- provides a platform for international expansion of the publishing business; and
- establishes SAI Global as a significant international player in standards publishing.

Mr Ross Wraight, Chief Executive Officer of SAI, said gILI is SAI Globalfs fourth acquisition in Europe and delivers on its strategic intent to build an international technical publishing, distribution and
information business. ILIfs intellectual property licences and distribution platform provide a unique combination to drive further growth in SAIfs publishing business in the near to medium term.
gImportantly, the Acquisition provides a front end to SAI Globalfs business in North America and Europe, offering a sophisticated information gateway to its integrated products and services,h said Mr
Wraight.

Overview of ILI
ILI has two business divisions:
(a) Standards publishing division: an electronic and paper-based standards publishing business which holds non-exclusive publishing licences with all the major international standards bodies including
BSI (UK), ASTM (USA) and NFPA. It holds a global licence to distribute Irish Standards and a global licence to distribute USA Military Specifications. The standards publishing division is expected to
contribute approximately 51% of ILIfs revenue and 27% of ILIfs earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) in the year ending 30 June 2006; and

(b) Database division: a 100% subscription service, providing access to searchable databases that allow customers to quickly identify the standard or specification they require. Key databases include
Standards Infobase, Metals and Materials Infobases, Eurolaw and Logicom, a US government procurement database that provides US and global manufacturers with the specifications for all
products supplied to the US government. The database division is expected to contribute approximately 49% of ILIfs revenue and 73% of ILIfs EBIT in the year ending 30 June 2006.

ILI is forecast to generate approximately A$20 million in revenues for the year ending 30 June 2006,split equally between the UK, Europe and America.

1 Based on exchange rates at 03/05/06. ILI reports in British pounds and does not currently hedge its revenues from any region. SAI does not intend to hedge the expected
earnings from ILI.

The existing key management of ILI will remain with the business under new two year contracts.=

Acquisition Funding
SAI has purchased the entire share capital of the Acquisition group of companies (collectively gILIh). The total purchase price paid for the Acquisition was US$60 million and was funded through a mix of
short-term and long-term debt (95%) and scrip in the form of approximately 1.27 million ordinary shares in SAI at an issue price of $3.12 per share (5%). The ordinary shares issued to the vendors will
be escrowed for a period of 12 months. Customary warranties are in place and restrictive covenants on the Vendors apply for a period of 3 years. With its significant strategic benefits and growth profile,

tommy
04-05-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.europapress.es/europa2003/noticia.aspx?tabID=1&ch=137&cod=20060503124252

COMUNICADO: Britain Welcomes SAI's Fourth UK Acquisition

SYDNEY, Australia, May 3 /PRNewswire/ --

The British Government has welcomed SAI Global Limited's (ASX: SAI) investment in the UK following its US$60 million acquisition of international standards publishing and database subscription services business, ILI.

ILI represents SAI Global's fourth acquisition in the UK and its largest investment to date, marking an important strategic acquisition for the continued growth and expansion of SAI's publishing business.

Commenting on the deal, UK Trade and investment Minister Ian Pearson said: "I am pleased to see yet another inward investor deepening its links with the UK by expanding its presence here. Acquisitions like this are a vote of confidence in our businesses -- a sign of strength in our economy and our track record in knowledge-driven industries. The UK is the most favoured inward investment location in Europe for Australian companies, with over 1200 businesses now located here."

SAI Global's investment in the UK market has included the following acquisitions:

-- Easy I in May 2005 -- CCS in March 2006
-- EFSIS in December 2005 -- ILI in May 2006

UK Consul General & Director General Trade and Investment for Australia, Tim Holmes pointed out: "The United Kingdom attracts approximately 40 per cent of Japanese, US and Asia-Pacific investment into the EU. In making its fourth acquisition in the UK in the past year, SAI Global is among the many Australian companies realising the benefits of investing in Britain," he said.

The acquisition of ILI adds scale to SAI's core publishing business, with annual publishing revenue to exceed US$54 million, and delivers on SAI's strategic intent to build an international technical publishing, distribution and information business and position itself as a significant global services provider.

Mr Ross Wraight, Chief Executive Officer of SAI, thanked the UK Trade and investment Minister, the Consul General and the Inward Investment Group, for their support, which he said has been vital in helping SAI to establish such a strong presence in the UK.

"ILI provides a front end to SAI Global's business in North America and Europe, offering a sophisticated information gateway to its integrated products and services," said Mr Wraight.

Media Inquiries
Tom Godfrey - SAI Global
+61-2-8206-6863
+61-4-1419-1034
tom.godfrey@sai-global.com

SAI Global (ASX: SAI) is one of the world's leading business publishing, compliance, training and assurance organisations. Through its extensive e-capabilities and its network of auditors, experts and training professionals SAI Global works with organisations to help them build better businesses.

http://www.saiglobal.com

Media - Tom Godfrey of SAI Global, +61-2-8206-6863, or +61-4-1419-1034, tom.godfrey@sai-global.com

tommy
05-05-2006, 12:49 AM
The AGE article:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/standard-publishing-holds-extraordinary-return/2006/05/01/1146335670509.html

Standard publishing holds extraordinary return

By Leon Gettler
May 2, 2006

SAI Global, the listed commercial arm of Australia's standards setter, has continued its push into publishing by buying for $US60 million ($A79 million) an international standards publishing business that provides manufacturers with guidelines for supplying the US military.

British-based ILI, which runs a global standards subscription service, is SAI's largest buy and its fourth in Europe since its $100 million float in December 2003.

SAI Global is worth $353 million. ILI generates about $20 million in revenue. Its earnings before interest and tax for this year are expected to be $8.4 million and $9.2 million next year.

ILI's standards publishing division deals with all the world's major standards bodies.

It also holds the global licence to provide manufacturers with specifications for equipment they want to sell to the US armed forces; everything from missiles to nuts and bolts for a plane.

It also provides manufacturers with the specifications for equipment for NASA.

In addition, ILI runs a subscription service for companies to look up relevant standards and specifications they require. Its databases include Logicom, which allows US and global manufacturers to look up the specifications for all products they want to sell to the US Government.

Publishing is now the largest contributor to SAI's earnings, and the deal will turn it into an even bigger growth engine.

The purchase lifts publishing's projected contribution to SAI's earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation this year from 50 per cent to 61 per cent. Revenue from publishing will rise from $50 million to $70 million.

The acquisition will be funded with a mix of short-term and long-term debt, representing 95 per cent of the purchase price.

The rest will come from scrip, with SAI Global issuing 1.27 million ordinary shares at $3.12.

SAI Global shares were put in a trading halt yesterday at $3.15 and will remain there until the company releases full details of its capital raising for the purchase.

Standards Australia, the benchmark setting body that started out in 1922 as an offshoot of the Institution of Engineers, turned itself into one of the world's richer non-profit, non-government organisations after the float of its commercial arm.

Apart from making $60 million-plus in 2003 from the placement of 60 million shares as part of SAI Global float, and another $66 million last year from the sale of 30 per cent of SAI Global's issued capital, it earned itself another $30 million when it sold its remaining 10 per cent stake in the company early last month.

tommy
09-05-2006, 03:11 AM
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,19069166%5E15345%5E%5Enbv%5E15306-15316,00.html

Voluntary experts unhappy with Standards
Karen Dearne
MAY 09, 2006

INADEQUATE funding, poor support and diversion of scarce resources to fee-for-service work is straining goodwill between Standards Australia and those who volunteer their time and expertise, industry groups warn.

Most Australian Electrical and Electronic Manufacturers' Association members support retaining Standards Australia as the peak body for setting standards, but some "crucial" matters must be dealt with by government.

AEEMA members hold more than 290 positions on technical committees that develop standards for ICT, electronic and electrical manufacturing, but "no longer is there excess expertise that can be drawn on by SA", the association has told the Productivity Commission's review of standards and accreditation.

It said members were concerned about inadequate resourcing at technical committee level and voluntary work was suffering because resources had been diverted to fee-paying agencies.

A recurring criticism is the way intellectual property given to SA during the development process is transferred to former SA subsidiary SAI Global, now a listed company that retails standards documents for profit.

Engineers Australia said its volunteers were "sensitive to the fact they have donated intellectual property and that, as a consequence of the SAI Global float", their intellectual property was being used for others' commercial gain. "This has caused the withdrawal of some volunteer support and threatens others.

"Engineers contributing intellectual property for standards would be quite capable of generating such standards in our own organisation." Engineers Australia estimates that more than 9000 professionals voluntarily contribute intellectual property through SA committees.

"We need to be careful not to offend and drive away the balanced intellectual property flow that forms the basis of standards, or it will be replaced by biased input," it said.

Travel and other costs borne by volunteers, particularly for participation in international standards forums, needed to be reduced, it said.

Canberra software engineer Ian Hirst told the Productivity Commission that a committee member typically faced 50 to 250 hours a year of development and review work, plus attendance at two national meetings and possibly one or two overseas trips, at a cost of $6000 to $11,000 a person.

"There is little or no recompense for travel expenses incurred by committee members," Mr Hirst said.

"This year, about $1000 will be made available against expenses of up to $11,000."

Sydney University law lecturer Luke Nottage said there was a growing risk that SA's committees would be "captured by vested interests" engaged in "rent-seeking".

"There is a particular risk of this occurring when there are a few incumbent firms, or an industry association dominated by them, that generates the standard at a high level to disadvantage newcomers or competing suppliers," Dr Nottage said.

"Alternatively, standards may be set too low, with the aim of minimising the potential for regulators to intervene. Unfortunately, leaner government means that its agencies have diminishing capacity to contribute."

The Australian

corky
29-05-2006, 07:20 PM
What about today's finish Tommy? Guess that's what they mean by 'not many sellers'! Back to the 3.20s tomorrow I expect but it makes my account look very good for one night.

Cheers
Corky

tommy
30-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi Corky,

Oh well that was short-lived wasnt't it! Sell side completely disappeared yesterday, but today is just another usual day. SAI is still a good long-term growth story, in ten years time we might have a monster of an organization looking at their pace of acquisitions... I

ASXIOU
31-05-2006, 01:57 PM
For an explanantion of what went on Monday arvo read todays AFR page 18. It was a stuff up and all trades have been reversed.

tommy
10-08-2006, 05:02 PM
SAI does it again!

I'm back in:)

Will the downtrend be broken by this piece of news?
http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/javachart/javachart.asp?symb=AU%3Asai&draw.x=0&draw.y=0

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=SAI&E=ASX&N=420829

STRATEGY DELIVERS CONTINUED GROWTH

SAI Global Limited (ASX: SAI) today announced a net profit after tax of $14.0 million, representing an increase of 20.7% over last yearfs result of $11.6 million. Earnings per share under the AIFRS reporting principles were up 8.7% to 12.5 cents per share from last
yearfs of 11.5 cents.

The directors have declared a final fully franked dividend of 5.4 cents per share, bringing the total dividends for the year to 10.4 cents, up 13.0% on last year on an expanded capital base.

Underlying cash earnings were $19.6 million, up 52.9% over the $12.8 million achieved in the corresponding period (AIFRS restated).

tommy
11-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Looks like SAI's downtrend will soon be reversed... not an exciting stock for day traders but better than an online bank account[:o)]

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/javachart/javachart.asp?symb=AU%3Asai&draw.x=0&draw.y=0

corky
17-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Interesting article in today's AFR (p55) about competitor Benchmark Certification and its plans now that it has an injection from BSI (British Standards). They are certainly looking to compete with SAI on price which may crimp those massive SAI margins. And also looking to plonk that CE symbol on everything (whatever it means). MInd you they say they are looking to attack the financial planning environment - best of luck.

SAI confirmed the opening of its Beijing joint venture office today.

Corky

tommy
17-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi corky,

SAI is truly becoming global at a rapid pace though competition with BSI indeed is becoming fierce, as both companies are scrambling to become the biggest in the world.

But good news on China JV indeed[8D]

http://english.people.com.cn/200611/16/eng20061116_322263.html

China, Australia to enhance cooperation on certification services

China and Australia created a joint-venture company in Beijing on Thursday that will work in the field of quality certification, providing certification and training services to businesses from both China and Australia.

The new company, named CQC-SAI Management Technologies (Beijing) Co. Ltd., is jointly sponsored by the China Quality Certification Centre (CQC) and SAI Global Ltd. of Australia.

The joint-venture's businesses range from production certification services to training awareness solutions, including quality management, market and social research, legislative compliance and human resources training.

Ambassador of Australia in China Alan Thomas said at the opening ceremony that with CQC-SAI Management Technologies operating in China, people should have greater confidence in the quality of many of the goods and services originating from China.

"It reinforces the message we have been delivering to Chinese decision-makers in relation to our ongoing free trade agreement negotiations--that China can benefit from giving improved access to Australian service providers," he added.

Wang Fengqing, chairperson of the China Certification and Accreditation Association, said China and Australia enjoyed a healthy, long-standing trade relationship. China is Australia's second biggest trade partner while Australia ranks ninth for China.

Bilateral trade between the two countries hit 27.25 billion U.S. dollars in 2005, and the figure reached 11.74 billion U.S. dollars in the January-May period of 2006, up 17.4 percent over the same period last year.

CQC is a recognized, government-approved body focused on China Compulsory Certification (CCC).

Experts said the newly established company is the first cooperation between the two countries' leading certification institutions and a milestone in the internationalization of China's certification services.

Source: Xinhua

____

Also, another area of growth is ISO27001:

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20736566%5E15841%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

Japan leads way on ISO security
Karen Dearne
NOVEMBER 14, 2006

JAPAN, Britain and India are well out in front in adopting the comprehensive information security standard ISO 27001.

So far, 3080 organisations around the world have gone through the rigorous certification process to assure partners that sensitive corporate information and customer data will be handled securely.

Japan has 1761 companies certified, Britain has 323 certifications and India has 246.

Taiwan, Germany, Hungary and Korea are all ahead of the US, which has 42 certified organisations.

In Australia, only 21 organisations are certified.

Indian companies offering outsourced services are using certification as a competitive differentiator, SAI Global ICT management systems program manager Brahman Thiyagalingham says.

SAIG's online compliance training programs are proving an important driver of expansion in the company's certification business, he says.

SAIG recently won a contract with Sapient in India because of its ability to quickly train employees online and in any language.

"Information security is not just about firewalls and passwords, it also concerns protecting all information assets," Thiyagalingham says.

In Australia, risk management concerns are driving interest, as directors seek to manage their business and information risks through certification and compliance with the standard.

Thiyagalingham says some government departments and some industry sectors are mandating it.

"In NSW in particular the state government has been very keen on this," he says.

The Australian

tommy
06-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Intersuisse report out:

http://www.intersuisse.com.au/upload/Companies/SAI24Jan07.pdf

steve fleming
18-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Have been looking at SAI after it got slaughtered on Friday following a below average result.

Trading at 3 year lows at the moment.

However, despite the big fall, it is still trading on a PE of almost 20 and a yield of only 4%, which I don't really know it can justify given its questionable growth prospects now.