PDA

View Full Version : Buffett's choice in NZ

voltage
23-11-2016, 09:02 AM
If Warren Buffett invested in NZ shares would there be any stock that would meet his requirements? I would choose AIA as a moat business and long term continued growth prospects.

beetills
23-11-2016, 10:01 AM
In my opinion,Heartland Bank would be right up his alley.I think he has just increased his shares in Wells Fargo and has made a point of saying that they should now look at getting into derivatives etc.
Heartland would be a perfect launching pad for him.

Vaygor1
23-11-2016, 10:15 AM
If Warren Buffett invested in NZ shares would there be any stock that would meet his requirements? I would choose AIA as a moat business and long term continued growth prospects.

My view is his picks would be (in no particular order) MFT, POT, AIA, RYM but he wouldn't go into any of them unless the price was right.

winner69
23-11-2016, 10:36 AM
AIA for certain - PE less than half market average - that be cheap for Warren

Beagle
23-11-2016, 10:40 AM
He's buying airlines so he'd but AIR. Cheaper than the various American airlines he's bought and then there's the whopping 13.8% dividend yield !

silu
23-11-2016, 10:40 AM
If anything Buffett would look at companies that would open his doors to Asia in some form as he did with IAG.ASX.

King1212
23-11-2016, 11:12 AM
I think he would put all his money on ARV...way too undervalue...:t_up:

Harvey Specter
23-11-2016, 01:22 PM
He has invested in Railways so he would be looking to do a govt a deal on KiwiRail :scared:

I think he would look at what IFT has done (an invt co cant really invest in a invt co) so an airports, a retirement village, and a power company.

Heartland in there for the financial side, and leverage.

Valuegrowth
27-11-2016, 09:41 AM
My view is his picks would be (in no particular order) MFT, POT, AIA, RYM but he wouldn't go into any of them unless the price was right.

You are right. He will wait until price is right even if it is a great business and when he feel margin of safety is there.

stevevai1983
27-11-2016, 11:56 PM
I think he probably will be interested in RYM, but need a lower price.

Stranger_Danger
28-11-2016, 05:10 AM
I don't think he'd buy anything, which explains why he's currently holding more cash than ever before (as am I) - valuation isn't just a New Zealand problem.

The other thing high valuations can do is make you lose your self discipline and buy "cheap for a reason" stocks. I put his airline purchases in this category, but hey, he's Warren Buffett so feel free to laugh at me if I'm wrong. I'm wondering if this is the clue he's finally losing his marbles.

drcjp
28-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Buffett wouldn't invest in the NZX. He would BUY IT and make it work properly and transparently.

Valuegrowth
28-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Are there similar types of stocks(companies) in the NZX which are listed in the following attached link?

http://warrenbuffettstockportfolio.com/buysell.html