PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Stock Picking Contest

Pages : [1] 2

klid
30-11-2016, 04:47 PM
The 2017 competition is open for entries until Monday 9th January 2017 at 09:00 am - you can make and change your selections up until this time.

2017 entries can be seen at: https://stocktastic.co.nz/rankings/2017 (http://stocktastic.co.nz/rankings/2017)

The entry form is here: https://stocktastic.co.nz/entry-form - And/Or you may post your selections here and I will enter them for you.
When submitting entries on the website you will need to enter:

Name, or alias that will be shown in the competition
Email, to be used if you need to be contacted
Token, which you will need to re-enter in the entry form along with new selections if you wish to change your entry

Please let me know if there are / aren't stocks that shouldn't / should be in the selection list!

The rules, also listed here - https://stocktastic.co.nz/rules are:

Entries are made and are able to be subsequently modified by using the entry form (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/stocktastic.co.nz/entry-form) on this site, and/or by posting in this thread.
Entries will close on Monday, 9th January 2016 at 9:00am.
Only one entry in each yearly competition is permitted per person.
You may not use the alias that belongs to someone else on sharetrader.co.nz, or misrepresent another person.
Five selections must be made, the same stock cannot be selected twice. The entry form will enforce this.
There is a predefined list of stocks to select from, which will be those that are listed on the NZSX or NZAX and with a market capitalisation of at least $10 million as at 1st December 2016.
Everyone has the same entry price, that will be the closing price of the stock on the last day of trading before the competiton begins- this will be the close price on Friday 6th January 2017.
Competition closes with last traded prices on the last trading day in the 2016 calendar year.
Dividends will be incorporated, rights issues will not. Any other random distributions will be incorporated, at the discretion of the contest administrator.
If a selection delists or otherwise somehow disolves; it will be kept but manually adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this.

JayRiggs
30-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Hey klid,
The form seems to be missing Tegel Group Holdings (TGH).

Gizzajob I can do that
30-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Hey klid,
The form seems to be missing Tegel Group Holdings (TGH).

A little bird tells me you will be picking Tegel, lol

Vaygor1
30-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Hi Klid.

Thanks for running the comp again. Very much appreciated.

Can you add ALF please?
Current market cap is $0.066 x 160,635,350 shares = $10.6 million.
It is after 5pm on 30-Nov now, tomorrow 1-Dec, so assuming it qualifies on that basis?

Regards, Vaygor.

axe
30-11-2016, 06:03 PM
IQE is on the entry form .... maybe it could be taken off? :)

30-11-2016, 06:29 PM
IPL missing also.

klid
30-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks all:

Added ALF IPL PIL TGH
Removed IQE

winner69
30-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Thanks all:

Added ALF IPL PIL TGH
Removed IQE

What - no IQE

Certainty to be the star stock of 2017

22 of us suffered this year - we should be given the chance to redeem themselves next year

stevevai1983
01-12-2016, 03:34 PM
added my entry for now :) we still have 1 month , so i might change depends on stock price
This is actually my real portfolio
ARV SUM EBO IFT RYM

i also have lots of SKC but I think it wont perform well next year...

golden city
07-12-2016, 10:55 PM
peb cav thl nzr cgl

Lewylewylewy
11-12-2016, 01:52 PM
CGL?! Really?

winner69
11-12-2016, 02:00 PM
CGL?! Really?

Its got a bigger market cap than That doyen of education companies Intueri

Not allowed to enter Intueri in 2017 comp. Please let us,please

So 22 of us miss out on big recovery in 2017

Snow Leopard
11-12-2016, 03:11 PM
I have made two unsuccessful attempt to enter the 2017 contest via the stocktastic website:

The first attempt kept claiming that I had not picked five different stocks which was patently not true but I had entered a different combination of name & email address (ie made a typo) from last year and I think that was the actual problem.

On the second attempt my internet connection went down when I hit the submit button.
Restoration involved my ISP rebooting their router for the entire apartment complex so I am loath to try it again.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

klid
12-12-2016, 05:35 PM
:) If you like you can post the picks and I will enter. It's not related to this/last years in that you no longer need to register an account and log in to make a selection, rather just complete the form, and, if you wish to override your entry before the competition closes -- you can put in another entry with the same email and "change token", which I really should've called something else.

Lewylewylewy
12-12-2016, 11:19 PM
No tiger, don't try again! You'll take down the southern Cross link! 😝

Antipodean
15-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Can you please add NTL? $12m mcap as of 01/12/2016

Lewylewylewy
16-12-2016, 07:40 AM
I'm looking your pics for this year, Antipodean.

I think pgw could be a good gamble for the end of next year too, but decided against putting that.

percy
16-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Kept coming up I had selected the same stocks twice,so please put the following picks in for me.
ALF,
HLG
MCK.
THL
TNR.
thanks

janner
17-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Kept coming up I had selected the same stocks twice,so please put the following picks in for me.
ALF,
HLG
MCK.
THL
TNR.
thanks

Always interested in your picks percy..

MCK ???.. Good grief .. Their ROE was only 9% against the industry average of 40%...

You know something you would NOT like to share :-))

percy
17-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Always interested in your picks percy..

MCK ???.. Good grief .. Their ROE was only 9% against the industry average of 40%...

You know something you would NOT like to share :-))

"Well positioned".
Refurbished hotel,another hotel [leased] added to their portfolio.
Tourism numbers are growing.The "season" is now longer.A bit like a retailer,the extra revenue should go straight to the bottom line.
Half year in February should be interesting.
Next year Lions Tour and Masters games.
Maybe,just maybe, their eps growth will be twice their PE.?Now that will be fun.!!..lol.

ps.HBL remains my largest holding.

Lewylewylewy
17-12-2016, 10:41 PM
"Well positioned".
Tourism numbers are growing.The "season" is now longer.A bit like a retailer,the extra revenue should go straight to the bottom line.
Maybe,just maybe, their eps growth will be twice their PE.?Now that will be fun.!!..lol.

Yup, Percy picks are always well researched and therefore interesting. What's more interesting to me, is that people's picks reflect what they predict for the year. For example, some people have picked exporters and therefore obviously think that the NZD will be low vs other currency.

So Percy, can we deduct that you think that the property market will stay hot with the pick of MCK, or you think it won't be a big factor?

janner
17-12-2016, 10:44 PM
"Well positioned".

:-)))) Not convinced.. Time will tell all ..

Like yourself Percy.. HBL is still my largest holding

janner
17-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Yup, Percy picks are always well researched and therefore interesting. What's more interesting to me, is that people's picks reflect what they predict for the year. For example, some people have picked exporters and therefore obviously think that the NZD will be low vs other currency.

So Percy, can we deduct that you think that the property market will stay hot with the pick of MCK, or you think it won't be a big factor?

MCK is An hotel group .. That is not performing ..

percy
18-12-2016, 08:41 AM

MCK's property company CDI should continue to do well,but it is MCK's hotels that should surprise.An extra hotel,and a refurbished hotel will mean greater room rates,which means greater margin.With a lot longer "season", of at least two to three months,plus the Lions Tour and Masters games,occupancy rates will sky rocket,while overheads will stay about the same.With such demand I would expect they have the capacity to increase room rates at all their hotels.No more pay for two stay three nights.!
I have also picked THL for the same reasons ,ie increase in tourist season and The Lions Tour,and Masters games.
HLG,The strengthen NZ dollar,strong retail sales,upgraded stores,new stores,and rapidly growing online sales means they are doing the business,I looked at Glasson's Northlands Mall store last week.Outstanding,and flatout.Hallensteins store was also well laid out.
TNR,With such a strong brand,solid balance sheet ,lower NZ $,and the strenghtened business model;sell cars,add profitable finance and insurance,makes TNRs are my second largest holding. Turners is a very strong brand.
ALF.Any company that can survive the upheavals they have been through,and having sorted out their finances,can now focus on profitable growth.I don't hold many,but will consider buying more depending on their announcements.They are very client/customer driven.
I did not put in EVO,which I have a good holding.It was a toss up between ALF and them. Thought it will be easier for ALF to go from 6 cents to 12 cents,while EVO going from $1 to $2 will be unlikely in a year.Maybe $1.30 to $1,40?

Joshuatree
19-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Don't forget to enter both NZX and ASX comp folks. looks like quite a big cash prize building ,with the Kudos for ASX winner 2017:t_up:

Crow
19-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Please can you add my selections, ARV, GTK, MPG, SUM, MEL?
Thank you

minimoke
19-12-2016, 07:55 PM
I can see I'll have to get the infamous RNG out again. Currently holding 108th/207 place this year (much worse than my 12th ranking last year ) but stil better than All Stocks And All Contestants. And 6.6% stil better than having my money in the bank.

Antipodean
20-12-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm looking your pics for this year, Antipodean.

I think pgw could be a good gamble for the end of next year too, but decided against putting that.

Liking? Thanks.

I'm sticking to some of the bigger fish this year - though I have added NTL instead of THL now leaving me with: AIR HBL RBD NZR NTL

percy
20-12-2016, 02:51 PM
"M-Social" opposite Queens wharf, won't open till March 2017. Out of action most of year.

Only just added to portfolio, will add little to current reporting period.

Feb will be full year reporting to EOY 31 Dec 16.

ROE not helped by having AUD$60+m Sydney property not contributing to bottom line.
ChCh hotel not rebuilt yet, and no current plan to do so.

Queenstown properties will be raking in the cash. CDI will perform well.

Thank you for your detailed post.
Certainly "well positioned" for a fantastic 2017 year.

gmatt
20-12-2016, 07:33 PM
hi Klid ...... I can't change my picks on the site for some reason ..... now that NTL is in, my picks are:

BLT CAV NTL RBC THL

thks

disc ....... hold them all

JBmurc
20-12-2016, 07:36 PM
my picks ....PGW,NZO,OGC,THL,NTL

disc-- nil held .....but might well buy some in the new year

Vaygor1
21-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Hi Kild.

It appears there is a calc issue with stocktastic. Referring to this screenshot taken this morning....

RYM's $8.34 is down from the price at the start of the year of $8.46, not 4.43% up.
If adding Ryman's two unimputed dividend payments during the course of the year totalling 17 cents, then $8.34 + $0.17 = $8.51 .. an increase of %0.6%, not 4.43% up.

.. or have I missed something?

I haven't looked at any of the other shares at this stage.

21-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi Kild.

It appears there is a calc issue with stocktastic. Referring to this screenshot taken this morning....

RYM's $8.34 is down from the price at the start of the year of $8.46, not 4.43% up.
If adding Ryman's two unimputed dividend payments during the course of the year totalling 17 cents, then $8.34 + $0.17 = $8.51 .. an increase of %0.6%, not 4.43% up.

.. or have I missed something?

I haven't looked at any of the other shares at this stage.

If you look at the top of the table it states that the prices are as at 30/11/16. It hasn't updated since then. It would suggest problems in all figures.

waikare
21-12-2016, 10:09 AM
One change from last year, RYM out and HLG in
ATM
FPH
PGW
HLG
TIL

klid
21-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Prices weren't updating because I didn't put a year start price for the new stocks added for next year - sorted.
Added/modified everyones entries as per posts.

shasta
22-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Picks for 2017, not that i follow the NZX that closely.

IFT - Could see some corporate activity given low debt to equity, otherwise solid return expected
NZX - Few more listings, new revenue streams who knows, a punt
OGC - Gold/Copper to outperform in 2017
RBC - I always tend to pick them, awaiting the complex and prolonged TEN saga to unwind at some stage, some value in all this...maybe
XRO - Expand, expand expand, at some point might wanna book a profit, can it turn around back towards previous highs?

Thanks again for running the comp

iceman
22-12-2016, 09:36 AM
hi Klid ...... I can't change my picks on the site for some reason ..... now that NTL is in, my picks are:

BLT CAV NTL RBC THL

thks

disc ....... hold them all

I have the same issue. The website will not let me change my picks. Says I have selected the same stock multiple times, when I haven't.
Would appreciate if you could change it for me Klid to:
TNR
THL
PPH
SAN
HLG

Thanks and merry christmas to all

airedale
26-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Surprised to come 12th this year with 27%
So next year will be :
MEL
SPK
TIL
TGH
MHJ

airedale
26-12-2016, 05:13 PM

IFT - Could see some corporate activity given low debt to equity, otherwise solid return expected
RBC - I always tend to pick them, awaiting the complex and prolonged TEN saga to unwind at some stage, some value in all this...maybe
XRO - Expand, expand expand, at some point might wanna book a profit, can it turn around back towards previous highs?

Hi Shasta I would also have picked OGC but I see that on the 28th Nov they announced that they were de-listing from NZX.

Joshuatree
26-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks gf. I missed getting a copy. Trutest??.Is that listing soon ? thanks in advance.

Broker Picks

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11772325

Beagle
28-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Broker Picks

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11772325

? = inconclusive signal based on simple 100 day MA, i.e. in my opinion its too close to 100 day MA to give any sort of reliable indicator

First N.Z. FPH, CEN, SML, XRO and TGH all fail and all trading below their 100 day MA.

Forbar - CBL looks okay for a TA perspective as does THL, (hold), FPH, see above, EVO ?, IFT, NO, (what a shocker !).

Vulcan Capital PEB, yes, PIL yes, Tru Test , no, Turners yes, (hold) N.Z. Salmon, ticker code, thanks Percy, too young for reliable TA.

JB Were Fonterra yes, Evolve ?, FPH No, MFT yes, CEN, no.

Craigs CEN no, Fonterra yes, Gentrack ?[ MFT yes, RBD no

Hamilton Hinden Green Rym no, GNE no, FPH no, Chorous and Opus Int Consultants ?

Hobson Wealth Management FPH no, MFT yes, RBD no, Trustpower no, Vista group no

MSL Capital Markets AIA no, Green Cross Health no, Heartland ? Plexure no, Synlait no.

So there's a simple 100 day MA filter run over the broker picks.

Highlighted stocks are ones I will look further into as possible acquisitions in 2017 based on meeting or possibly meeting basic 100 day MA, not currently held and are not obviously disqualified for other reasons I'm currently aware of in terms of my own personal investment criteria.

Please DYOR.

percy
28-12-2016, 10:07 AM
NZK. New Zealand King Salmon.
TruTest.Well worth the fun of seeing who the chairman and CEO are.
[best not to mention the debt they carry,or what the company's foccuss is]
I wish them well.!! [from a distance].

amalgam
28-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Hey Klid..could you please add FLI to the list. ( market cap $49 m). Thanks. amalgam

Minerbarejet
28-12-2016, 04:57 PM
One favourite and four random picks via a random letter and number generator.

The Old Favourite.
PEB

Randoms
IPL
THL
GMT
VCT

See how it goes, never know your luck, eh.

shasta
29-12-2016, 02:10 AM

OK, I see OGC being delisted from the NZX.

Please replace with THL

Cheers

Snoopy
31-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Hi Klid. Please can I have my representative portfolio for 2017 as follows:

CEN: 'farmed' energy business (something that everyone needs) with dry/wet year robustness at a reasonable share price. Good divie payer.
RBD: value added food staple with three promising growth paths (Carl's Junior in NZ, 'Pizza Hut'/'Taco Bell' in US Pacific Islands and KFC in Australia, both with acquired businesses which retain proven local management).
SKC: the forgotten 'tourism share' should bounce back in Auckland with a 'Lion's Roar' in 2017. Problems in the Chinese high roller business has reduced share price to reasonable levels.
SKL: well capitalised business, coming off dairy and mining market (particularly iron ore) lows. Mercedes driveshaft contract for China potentially a game changing breakthrough for Italian arm.
SPK: The perennial 'go to' player for telecommunications services in NZ. Progress leveraging their strong mobile market position. Good dividend payer.

SNOOPY

PS I am continuing to note why I am invested in they above companies. This is in the interests of keeping myself honest if company circumstances change.

garfy
31-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Hi, Klid, my picks for 1917 -

AIR, ARV, PIL, SCL, THL

Thanks for running this again. Cheers for the New Year.

Garfy.

SCOTTY
31-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Hi Klid
Many thanks for what you do for us.
Please enter for me:
CGL
FLI
GFL
NZR
SLI

Cheers

DarkHorse
01-01-2017, 11:24 AM
My NZ portfolio was up 27% for 2016 - but my comp picks made 5.8% ^^
Best I stick with what I know for a respectable return. (much more value among asx small caps)
TNR, THL, HGL, SCY, EVO
Thank you Klid

bear
01-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Hi Klid

Could you put me down for the following

HBL
AIR
XRO
CEN
ATM

thanks Bear

RGR367
01-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Hi Klid

Thanks for everything you've done about our contest last year and on doing them all again this year.
Entering all my speculative stocks hoping against all hope that they all go astronomical this year :p

BLT
OHE
PEB
RAK
XRO

Lewylewylewy
01-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Can you change my picks please? The password that I thought I entered in there doesn't work :(

My new picks are: RBD, NZR, EBO, THL, POT

Feeling good about a couple of these, but not as confident as I was last year :(

PS: Thanks so much for running the competition - it's been lots of fun :)

lissica
01-01-2017, 07:23 PM
I'll add

- MFT
- FRE
- RYM
- GXH
- IFT

Joshuatree
02-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Lots of entries is great. Think about the ASX comp too.This year there is quite a pot of cash building for the winner ,as entries come in. I will be offering a prize for 7th place again as well.

Cool Bear
02-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Hi Klid

Can I please have
AIR
ARG
HBL
NTL
PGW

Thanks. Cool Bear

bohemian
02-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Hi Kid
Can you put me down for
SCL
FPH
AIR
THL
ATM

Thanks

Lola
02-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Hi Klid

Thanks for everything you've done about our contest last year and on doing them all again this year.
Entering all my speculative stocks hoping against all hope that they all go astronomical this year :p

BLT
OHE
PEB
RAK
XRO

Klid
For me please
OHE
SML
SLG
AFL
GTK

Thanks

HNY .... happy NY

klid
03-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the brokers' picks; I added them.

Added/changed all the other ones.
Lola - AFL I'm assuming you mean ALF.
DarkHorse - HGL I assume you mean HLG.

Lola
03-01-2017, 01:21 PM

Correct Klid
Apologies for that
Be a while b 4 they list the AFL
CHeers
Lola

Lewylewylewy
03-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Can I get EBO instead of RBO, please? I think having RBO might hamstring me a bit lol

Hmmm, really want to put FPH in there, but not sure what to take out. FPH is a gamble on the legals they've got going on right now, and I don't have enough fair in the US legal system to put them down as a punt (although my personal holdings show different :) )

bull....
04-01-2017, 06:50 AM
CAV
FSF
NZR
SCL
HBL

thanks Klid

Big Blind
04-01-2017, 08:08 PM
FRE
IFT
SCL
EVO
AIR

Same picking process as last year. 3 dead certs plus a couple of loose units. I'll tell you in 12 months which ones are which

thanks Klid

amalgam
04-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Hi there Klid--my picks
TNR
ALF
FLI
THL
PIL
Thanks for running the competition..amalgam

Pricey
05-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Hello hello

BLT
CBL
PPH
HBL
ATM

Goodbye Goodbye :)

Baa_Baa
05-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Errors in picks:

Lewylewylewy - RBO not valid
$$griffey$$ - AFT picked twice

This may be the same person with two entries, slightly different:

buddha's pal

AIR ALF IFT SLI PLX

buddha beer

AIR ALF IFT RYM PLX

Gonzo
05-01-2017, 09:07 PM
stock picking 2017
PIL
EBO
CAV
HBL
STU
Newbie Never entered before

newtrader
06-01-2017, 12:00 AM
IFT
AIR
FPH
EBO
BGR

Thanks Klid!

06-01-2017, 08:53 AM
To save Klid's time you can enter your selections yourself.

https://www.stocktastic.co.nz/entry-form

winner69
06-01-2017, 09:02 AM

Pretty simple straight forward process isn't it 777

newtrader
06-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Done, thanks for the tip!

JeremyALD
07-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Very interesting to see AIR the number 1 pick across ShareTrader....not sure I agree with that one. I can definitely see a solid return from the stock but it's pretty cyclical that it could also go the other way.

Jantar
07-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Air is one of my picks too, but I certainly hope that it does go the other way, then I can buy more. Even if earnings end up at the lower end of guidance they will still pay 20 cps dividend and that is just as good, or even better than seeing a 10% rise in the SP.

Joshuatree
07-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Thanks Baa-Baa
ASX comp closes 15/1/17 at midnight. About $360 in the pot prize money.
Have a crack.

DarkHorse
07-01-2017, 09:23 PM

Yes thanks Klid - meant HLG - apologies for my lexiadys :)

h2so4
08-01-2017, 02:44 PM
MCK
MET
RBD
ALF
AWF
Cheers

horus1
08-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Pil
cvt
tlt
tnr
atm

blockhead
08-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Blocky

SCL, HBL, BRL, FPH, THL

BRL being the dark horse in the coal pile !

biker
08-01-2017, 10:23 PM
atm , cen, peb, rbc, tnr.

klid
08-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Thanks Baa I knew about Lewy's RBO and changed that, no idea how Grimey has that pick twice. Hopefully it was me changing it manually and he has a post here, I will look later. Hopefully everything is in order for the competition to start counting tomorrow.

troyvdh
08-01-2017, 11:27 PM
Thanks baa baa

CEN RYM SUM PFI MET...hold most cheers

Toulouse - Luzern
09-01-2017, 04:44 AM
My picks:
AIA CBL MCK SOL SCL
Thanks and regards

hamish
09-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Hi All,

Here's a publicly available outlook report for 2017 from NZ First Capital spanning markets and geographies. Their forecast thinking on the NZX, by top 50, is graphed on page 9.

https://www.fnzc.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/FNZC-Investment-Outlook-Dec16-final-sc.pdf

Hamish

blockhead
09-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Blocky

SCL, HBL, BRL, FPH, THL

BRL being the dark horse in the coal pile !

My mistake KLID, of course we can't do BRL, it is Oz listing only now, substitute ZEL instead if you could,

klid
09-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Cool so we have 208 entries excluding the Brokers. I need to do some quality assurance and make sure there are no bad entries so will do that at some stage.

We're beating the Brokers! For now :)

amalgam
09-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Hi there Klid--my picks
TNR
ALF
FLI
THL
PIL
Thanks for running the competition..amalgam

Hello Kris. I think you have missed me
Thanks. amalgam

amalgam
09-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Hello Klid.. Meant Klid not Kris (an auto spelling check problem..my phone thinks it's brighter than me & probably is); amalgam

winner69
09-01-2017, 11:36 AM
So Brucy09 first out of thecstallsand early leader

klid
09-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Added amalgam, and did a price update - Brucy09 no longer winning :ohmy:

klid
09-01-2017, 12:58 PM
My picks:
AIA CBL MCK SOL SCL
Thanks and regards
Sorry this is invalid - (No SOL).

klid
09-01-2017, 01:02 PM
As for the pick by $$griffey$$ -- I don't know how the same stock managed to be selected twice but I'm putting it on you to contact me and let me know what the story is. No valid email was specified on the form and there is no member here with the exact name so I cannot make contact. Entry removed until it becomes clear.

clip
09-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Just got back from holiday late last night and saw this, too late to put in a cheeky entry? :)
ALF CBL SCL AIA MPG

Fisherking
09-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Nice job Percy, keep that return up for the rest of the year and you'll be a happy man.

percy
09-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Nice job Percy, keep that return up for the rest of the year and you'll be a happy man.

Ha ha, thank you,
You could say I am "well positioned."...lol.

Joshuatree
09-01-2017, 09:34 PM
This is fun ; i shot from 3rd to re 153rd in a few hours!!; reminds me of the Luge in Rotorua:D Exhilarating all the way down.

nextbigthing
09-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Poor old Balance all the way down there at 198. He's so loyal to NZO and PEB though.

pierre
10-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Poor old Balance all the way down there at 198. He's so loyal to NZO and PEB though.

Lol - noticed that myself this morning. Hopefully this is a good omen for a relatively peaceful year on ST (somehow I doubt it though).

NZSilver
10-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Hbl, atm, cen, til, sum

Antipodean
10-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks klid for organising all this.

My race to the bottom is underway heh. I think I will live or die by NTL this year more than anything.

Pricey
10-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Are picks still being uploaded, or did I miss the cutoff date? Posted on 5/12/2017

Hello hello

BLT
CBL
PPH
HBL
ATM

Goodbye Goodbye :)

Toulouse - Luzern
10-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Hi Klid.

My apologies to all for the typo ...
My intention was to have Solution Dynamics SDL not SOL
Is it possible to have
AIA CBL MCK SDL SCL

Thanks and regards

Antipodean
11-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Are picks still being uploaded, or did I miss the cutoff date? Posted on 5/12/2017

I think 5/12/2017 might be passed the cutoff date....

Big Blind
11-01-2017, 01:46 PM
FRE
IFT
SCL
EVO
AIR

Same picking process as last year. 3 dead certs plus a couple of loose units. I'll tell you in 12 months which ones are which

thanks Klid

Hi Klid,

Please can you add me. Looks like I'm not loaded yet.

Cheers

LAC
11-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Hi Guys,
The stocktastic website competition/rankings page allowed for users to hover over a stock and get the % up or down. That function has stopped working for me, can someone jump on there and tell me if it works for them?

11-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Hi Guys,
The stocktastic website competition/rankings page allowed for users to hover over a stock and get the % up or down. That function has stopped working for me, can someone jump on there and tell me if it works for them?

I miss that too. It stopped working in the 2016 competition as well. Now all you get is a spinning wheel.

LAC
11-01-2017, 02:43 PM
I miss that too. It stopped working in the 2016 competition as well. Now all you get is a spinning wheel.
Ditto, I thought it was just me in the 2016 comp because I just used my MAC but today I decided to get my old laptop going and noticed that its the same with Chrome and IE.
Hope it gets fixed, I liked that function.

klid
11-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Hi Guys,

lol yeah my friend keeps hassling me about that - it's a good feature - it is indeed broken - but I certainly plan on fixing it!!!

klid
11-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Added missing entries!

Removed the entry for buddha's pal -- thanks Baa as yes I believe they are the same person and this one was entered before the other one so taking the other one as an override.

klid
11-01-2017, 03:34 PM
lol yeah my friend keeps hassling me about that - it's a good feature - it is indeed broken - but i certainly plan on fixing it!!!

yay fixed!

Jantar
11-01-2017, 04:28 PM
yay fixed!
But now the link to Stokastic doesn't

klid
11-01-2017, 05:18 PM
But now the link to Stokastic doesn't

Thanks have fixed.

forest
11-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Hi klid, I entered my entries using the drop down box provided. Easy to use but I was a little rushed and just realised that instead of ALF, I entered AFT. I don't follow AFT and feel very positive about the turn around of ALF.
If you can change it to my intended entry ALF that would be great other wise I have a wild card as one of my entries.

I enjoy the competition, Cheers forest

see weed
12-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Roger Roger where art thou.

clearasmud
13-01-2017, 12:06 AM
If its not too late my picks are:

HBL
HLG
RYM
SCL
TLT

Thanks.
Clearasmud.

whirly
13-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Just got back from holiday and missed entry so will post my picks here for my own reference.
AIA
MEL
RAK
SCL
TIL

Happy punting all.

Rabbi
13-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Can I replace OGC (being delisted) with SPK please

Jinx
13-01-2017, 04:56 PM
For myself/if its possible:

THL
EBO
SUM
PPH
TNR

Good luck to all holders!

Sideshow Bob
13-01-2017, 08:19 PM
If the others are allowed late entries, then.......

ATM
EBO
NZR
FPH
HBL

Understand if not possible!

hoyinma
14-01-2017, 09:15 PM
If late entry allowed, here are my picks:

ebo
hbl
fph
aia
scl

cheers

Vaygor1
15-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Hi Klid.

I noticed this rule on the Sharetrader ASX 2017 forum..

"7 - entry price is the higher of first-traded price from the day following your posting your selections and the first traded price
on the first trading day of the year. This discourages late comers from optimising their entry price during the 2 week grace period."

Seems like a good rule. A very marginal penalty (if any) for entering late hopefully keeping all entrants happy.
Not sure if can or desire to implement it this year, but if not then maybe a rule to keep in mind for next year?

Vaygor1.

klid
16-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Hi Vaygor1; thanks... I do agree with that -- but I'd rather not do that as it means I have to record different starting prices for different people. It also makes the thing extremely difficult to audit.

I'd be more inclined after this years flurry of late entries - of simply delaying the start date of the competition by another week. Gotta make things simple for me... ;)

In saying that -- I've had a suggestion to change the competition; I've explained to the person that the competition is what it is so there would be no such change - but thought perhaps this could be an additional competition or a side competition.

Whereby; you pick 5 stocks just like you do now but throughout the year you can change stocks, and you will realise your profit/loss at that stage and then continue on with the other stock. Any desire for such a thing?

By the way; top 5 as at close of Monday 16th Jan - sorry I just have to because last year I was leading but it certainly didn't last:

Rank

Alias
Stocks
Change

klid
IFT ALF SCY TNR MCK

5.61%

Wetfish
EVO PPH SKO THL TNR

5.25%

Thor
PPH SKO CEN AIR SML

4.79%

Hamish
IFT AIA SKC MHJ FPH

4.71%

james108
OIC MHJ EVO IFT RBD

4.71%

Joshuatree
16-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Good for you Kild , take a bask:t_up: you deserve it, catering to all of us ,in such good humour.

Baa_Baa
20-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Some minor changes in the data has resulted in slight movements amongst the Top 10. This should be the last Top 21 Summary

Good luck to all entrants.

percy
20-01-2017, 10:36 AM
OMG.
Looks as though I am going to have a year from hell.!!
Janner is 10 places ahead of me.!!
What's he doing lying in 7th place.
WDT as one of his picks.!!!

winner69
20-01-2017, 12:00 PM
OMG.
Looks as though I am going to have a year from hell.!!
Janner is 10 places ahead of me.!!
What's he doing lying in 7th place.
WDT as one of his picks.!!!

You'll be OK when you reclaim your rightful Top 10 placing

Then again this could be WDT's year

Janner prob has a million shares in the bottom drawer

janner
20-01-2017, 09:17 PM
You'll be OK when you reclaim your rightful Top 10 placing

Then again this could be WDT's year

Janner prob has a million shares in the bottom drawer

I am sure that percy will be up there as usual..

A million shares ??.. Sold mine for 6 pence or cents. It was that long ago I can not remember the currency.

A dog for all these years. Maybe .. Just Maybe, this dog is going to have it's day.

Disc. NOT a holder.

percy
23-01-2017, 09:55 PM
I am sure that percy will be up there as usual..

A million shares ??.. Sold mine for 6 pence or cents. It was that long ago I can not remember the currency.

A dog for all these years. Maybe .. Just Maybe, this dog is going to have it's day.

Disc. NOT a holder.

What a great day.
Lawns mowed,rubbish out.
First library of the year organised for next Monday.
But wait.Ho,ho ho.
Moved 0.49% and three places ahead of Janner.!!!!!

janner
23-01-2017, 10:25 PM
What a great day.
Lawns mowed,rubbish out.
First library of the year organised for next Monday.
But wait.Ho,ho ho.
Moved 0.49% and three places ahead of Janner.!!!!!

You are not going to faze me perc..

Coldest night so far last night Minus 21
However I will be back in NZ on the 2nd for some sun sea and sand..
And of course a feed of a leg of lamb. I feel how Ben Gunn did over cheese.

nextbigthing
23-01-2017, 10:30 PM
However I will be back in NZ on the 2nd for some sun.

NZ summer's being a bit tight this year, it's BYO sun.

percy
24-01-2017, 07:08 AM
You are not going to faze me perc..

Coldest night so far last night Minus 21
However I will be back in NZ on the 2nd for some sun sea and sand..
And of course a feed of a leg of lamb. I feel how Ben Gunn did over cheese.

That is cold.
Great timing,summer starts February when the schools go back.
I think you and me are going to be neck and neck this year.
OMG,to end up being beaten by WDT,may be too much for me???..lol

janner
24-01-2017, 07:51 AM
And I have no " position " :-))) ...

Vaygor1
25-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Hi Klid.

Can you please clarify if the Change column in Stocktastic updates regularly (and as such the ranking column updates at the same time)?

1st place as I type is James108. His picks and corresponding increases are
OIC +2.17%
MHJ +11.45%
EVO +12.5%
IFT +6.53%
RBD +3.49%

This works out to an average of +7.226% yet the %age change column says +6.84%

Looking at my current rank of 19 I get:
RYM +3.04%
SUM +1.29%
ALF +13.04%
CDI +7.04%
AIA +6.23%

The average for the above is +6.23% yet the change column says +4.08%

The share price for each stock appears to come up correctly (in real time) when clicking on its ticker code so just curious if I am missing something obvious here or not.
Even though my %age up and down for each stock has changed a lot in the past week, I seem to be stuck at 19th place.

Vaygor1

littletramp
25-01-2017, 05:09 PM
On the 2017 stock picking table, is there any reason why GTK is showing 100% loss? Some of us unfortunates who picked them are showing exaggerated losses for this early in the piece. https://stocktastic.co.nz/

25-01-2017, 05:14 PM
I note that the Stocktastic page has not updated today. Prices are as at sometime yesterday. (actually "Updates hourly. Last updated: Tuesday 24 Jan 2017 - 10:02am")

klid
26-01-2017, 01:37 PM
yeah gentrack is returning as 0 price from Google and then I am trying to divide by zero and that generally doesn't work out too well. Ill do something to deal with that later tonight.

klid
26-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Sorted, back to #1 where I belong. Google's fault -- getting confused thinking that Gentrack is G3 or something.

Lewylewylewy
28-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Lol... it's rigged, I tell you! :)

Wait to see what happens with RBD benefiting from currency and trump stuff, also once POT start lumping out massive dividends to return money later in the year... ;)

percy
28-01-2017, 03:39 PM
Klid is doing a great job.!
And he is "well positioned."

klid
01-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Changed SLG to FMS but still need to change the two people that have it picked.
I'm going overseas tomorrow for a couple of weeks so hopefully nothing crops up that needs my attention over that time. If it does I'll sort when back.

numbersman
23-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Same, I cant get in yesterday or today. "Security certificate expired"

see weed
23-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Same, I cant get in yesterday or today. "Security certificate expired"
Same here, a message comes up in a box saying...Stocktastic.co.nz has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, fire fox has not connected to this site :confused:.

Deej5
24-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Works fine for me on Safari. You might be having a browser issue. Try a different one to Firefox.

Baa_Baa
24-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Works fine for me on Safari. You might be having a browser issue. Try a different one to Firefox.

The security certificate has expired. Safari lets you click through (ignore) to the site anyway. Depends on your browser and its security settings what message you get.

Jay
24-02-2017, 11:32 AM
The security certificate has expired. Safari lets you click through (ignore) to the site anyway. Depends on your browser and its security settings what message you get.

I got in with IE 11 - same as you Baa Baa as far as messages/errors are concerned, can continue if you wish

Rossimarnz
24-02-2017, 01:13 PM
One thing that interests me with contests like this is how well peoples picks represent their actual investments. I understand that factors such as investment timeframes, diversification, concentration risk, portfolio size and others will mean that picks in a 12 month contest will never fully align with actual investments. As a way of trying to present how representative my picks are of my actual investments I have listed my picks and their relative %'s at todays price in my portfolio. Interested if others are willing to share.
AIR - 5.9%
ATM - 12.5%
PIL - 3.0%
THL - 7.7%
SUM - 11.2%

So all up 40.3% of my portfolio. I am a relatively small investor in the grand scheme of things. Currently sitting at a 3.44% return and placed in the mid 80's

Snow Leopard
24-02-2017, 01:29 PM
I own 0 of 5 because:

BLT - illiquid
FRE - overpriced
OIC -illiquid
PIL - illiquid
TNR - only recently met by liquidity minimum but fairly priced.

But one never knows what will happen to them.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

klid
25-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Cheers guys I renewed the certificate, I had set it up to do that automatically but seemingly that isn't working.

Yeah most browsers let you bypass it one way or another. It's kind of ironic; there's no need to have a certificate there at all and if there wasn't one there no browser would complain... it's only because there was an expired one. Some sites, e.g. this one - have no certificate. The certificate simply means that all the data that gets sent between your computer and the website is encrypted; which is important when sending confidential information, e.g. passwords, credit card details... not that you need to do any of that on Stocktastic bar your "change token" when you enter the competition.

Annnyway, I'll see if I can get this to auto-renew properly from now on as they're only valid for 3 months at a time!

JeremyALD
26-02-2017, 08:05 AM
One thing that interests me with contests like this is how well peoples picks represent their actual investments. I understand that factors such as investment timeframes, diversification, concentration risk, portfolio size and others will mean that picks in a 12 month contest will never fully align with actual investments. As a way of trying to present how representative my picks are of my actual investments I have listed my picks and their relative %'s at todays price in my portfolio. Interested if others are willing to share.
AIR - 5.9%
ATM - 12.5%
PIL - 3.0%
THL - 7.7%
SUM - 11.2%

So all up 40.3% of my portfolio. I am a relatively small investor in the grand scheme of things. Currently sitting at a 3.44% return and placed in the mid 80's

If that's your five picks and results you'd be up by much more than 3.44%? Should be more like 8%?

winner69
26-02-2017, 08:52 AM
If that's your five picks and results you'd be up by much more than 3.44%? Should be more like 8%?

Rossi is only up 1.4% now

PIL a big negative

bullfrog
27-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Put my money where my mouth is on OIC and ERD. Cash flow crisis made me miss the boat on TTK, was going to buy March with a feeling that they'd grow mid year. Spark offer complete surprise, could have had the decency to wait until April!
PLX, watching but not holding, such a fast moving sector that anything could happen.

Lewylewylewy
27-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Put my money where my mouth is on OIC and ERD. Cash flow crisis made me miss the boat on TTK, was going to buy March with a feeling that they'd grow mid year. Spark offer complete surprise, could have had the decency to wait until April!
PLX, watching but not holding, such a fast moving sector that anything could happen.

You're brave! lol

littletramp
28-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Is there any reason why the Gentrack "GTK" share price is not accurately updating on the results -seems stuck on $3.32?

see weed
28-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Hi JeremyALD, Have finally caught you, don't know for how long though:).

JeremyALD
28-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Hi JeremyALD, Have finally caught you, don't know for how long though:).

Gosh I was top 10 two weeks ago! :(

I just need to hope RBD does better than AIR mate and I'll be a winner ;)

see weed
01-03-2017, 12:03 PM

This looks like it may turn into a yoyo for a while. Looking forward to AIR BIG div though, might shoot us up a couple of points:).

Bilbo
28-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Any ideas why the Gentrack (GTK) share price is not updating. Showing as 3.32 when it closed today at $3.70. Not that it will help my cause much in the competition :)

Joshuatree
12-04-2017, 10:08 PM
I hardly ever see re 8 of the top 10 in the comp posting. Hey guys/gals you obviously have some knowledge and savvyness ;be great to see you sharing, giving something to the share trader community:confused::D

Lola
17-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Is there any reason why the Gentrack "GTK" share price is not accurately updating on the results -seems stuck on $3.32?
Klid
This is still a problem?
Also where has FMS gone?
Formerly SLG BY THE WAY

klid
24-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Klid
This is still a problem?
Also where has FMS gone?
Formerly SLG BY THE WAY

GTK fixed, at some stage in the past Google had been having some problems with the price for that stock, but it seems OK now.

As for FMS it has always been there; but it does not get updated in selections for you and the other contestant who had it, so have updated that manually.

Regards,
klid

MPC
10-05-2017, 06:12 PM
On your tail rooster. This is fun, 30% and close to my holdings in reality.
Cheers,
Mpc

Deej5
01-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Is this thread broke? I haven't been able to access it for a while now. Keep getting a 'certificate expired' notice.

klid
01-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Is this thread broke? I haven't been able to access it for a while now. Keep getting a 'certificate expired' notice.
Renewed certificate. I think they will renew automatically now - we will find out in 3 months :D

thestg
02-06-2017, 07:51 AM
Stocktastic site not updating. Last updated: Tuesday 23 May 2017 - 4:45am

klid
02-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Thanks, it's because of TNR changing to TRA:
https://www.nzx.com/companies/TRA/announcements/301437

I've changed selections and fixed the stock up. Not sure if I can think of a way to handle these ticker changes automatically.

MPC
09-06-2017, 04:42 PM
I am number 1.
I am number 1.

see weed
28-06-2017, 08:39 AM
I am number 1.
I am number 1.
Congratulations. It's hard at the top to hang on:t_up:. I was at 84. I was at 84.;)

MPC
29-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Only have to hold on for 6 more months.

Beagle
03-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Wonder who Top Dog is ? That furry pup seems to be doing a little better than okay.
Disc: Its not me, the hound is running with the pack at about 80 something.

janner
12-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Major mistake for my comp. selection... We all have them .. CAV.. a disaster .. How ever.. If played well ...
Money to be made at these prices .. IMHO...

DYOR... ..

Valuegrowth
16-07-2017, 09:33 AM
I am number 1.
I am number 1.

My congratulations!

MPC
16-07-2017, 11:42 AM
I am number 2 doesn't sound as good.

Jantar
16-07-2017, 12:48 PM
I am number 2 doesn't sound as good. Just change the wording to say you are among the top 1%. :D

Cool Bear
26-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Wow, I am now number 4 and 55% up. If only my real life portfolio is at that same proportion - I am still having 4 of the 5 picks in my portfolio.

percy
26-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Wow, I am now number 4 and 55% up. If only my real life portfolio is at that same proportion - I am still having 4 of the 5 picks in my portfolio.

A very HOT Cool Bear.!!.
Well done.
Keep it up.

sb9
26-07-2017, 01:16 PM
As it stands now, whoever got either NTL or ATM in their stock picking, they're in the top bracket.

Cool Bear
31-07-2017, 10:43 AM
A very HOT Cool Bear.!!.
Well done.
Keep it up.
Thanks Percy.

NTL plays a large part in my high (now 5th) placing but only form 1% of my actual total portfolio. Good thing the rest also shows decent returns. No longer have AIA but have a little bit of AIR instead and that is not doing too badly now. My recent foray into OCA did rather well too (up 12% in a couple of months). But not all rosy as have shares showing losses for the year.

Yoda
01-08-2017, 10:44 PM
For a complete amature , i am very happy to be no 7 . I have NTL THL and ATM in my real portfolio, so a happy little Yoda. NTL has shot up from 15% to 40% of my portfolio, so i am a bit concerned about the exposure it has developed !

Joshuatree
01-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Are you free carried yet in NTL.That is ,have you sold some to pay for all the rest; a great position to be in; in fact, THE PLACE TO BE imo.

Yoda
02-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Yes thanks for the advice. A good move to make.

Beagle
02-08-2017, 06:52 PM
All stocks
4.53%
Contestants
16.39%
Brokers
13.19%

Obviously we're a pretty well informed and highly intelligent and articulate bunch of ladies and gentlemen on here as we're currently beating the professional analysts !

Snow Leopard
10-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Hi Klid,
NZX installed new website Sat 5 Aug so stocktastic is not getting data. New site at https://m.nzx.com/
This may involve a re-write of your data collection.

cheers fool.

But the old website, https://www.nzx.com, is still very much in action.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Jay
11-08-2017, 08:57 AM
The m.nzx.com site looks as though it maybe more specific to viewing on mobile devices such as phones and tablets (hence the m) and it is having just tried it, plus as PT says the "old" site is still right up to date
My very limited knowledge of website construction, seems to tell me these days that most new/upgraded sites automatically detect what kind of device you are viewing on and adjust it accordingly.
No sign of this with nzx.com as yet, though that site was down for awhile at least and the m.nzx.com site was working - progress still in the works maybe

Snoopy
15-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Hi Klid,
NZX installed new website Sat 5 Aug so stocktastic is not getting data. New site at https://m.nzx.com/
This may involve a re-write of your data collection.

cheers fool.

Fool, the stocktastic website is still updating. But the arithmetic, calculating the capital gain and dividend gain for each share, is not working. The individual pricing and dividends for each individual shares seem still correct. But if you work out the gain manually the result is way different to the gain stocktastic tells you has occurred. Because all the calculated gains/losses are wrong, all the rankings are broken. A rescue by Klid is needed!

SNOOPY

Snow Leopard
28-08-2017, 05:54 PM
As anybody heard from klid recently and know whether he is OK?

Mildly Concerned
Paper Tiger

Peter Huljich
29-08-2017, 06:05 PM
BGR has changed its code. Please rectify so the stock isn't showing a decline of 100%. Thank you! P

29-08-2017, 06:43 PM
As anybody heard from klid recently and know whether he is OK?

Mildly Concerned
Paper Tiger

He has not posted since 2/6/17. That is nearly three months. I hope he is OK as it is a bit out of character for him not to appear.

Yoda
30-08-2017, 09:41 AM
My contest site hasn't updated since 8th of august .. Any ideas?
does anyone know how to get hold of klid? MOD.?
it does seem strange .
again ... It doesn't seem good , unless he's spendings his winnings ".......... Mmmmm :confused:

Joshuatree
30-08-2017, 09:58 AM
You've recently arrived in back to the future in England Yoda ; has your flight auto pilot dialled in the wrong coordinates and time because i can assure you its rubbish day wednesday collection here for me 9th august 2017. Thats the prob when you try to get to the shakey isles post brexit anything can happen just getting there!:confused:!!? Hope you're enjoying your holiday and spending your NTL profits in a disorderly fashion:).

ps kild are you also flitting through the timezones enjoying your profits. Hey there is an election going on back here and its much more promising and uplifting this time, come back kild:t_up:

Yoda
30-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks jt. I was a little reckless and got Business upgrade on offer at checkin for part flight. You know , just to prevent DVTS etc ... Totally justifiable ......
It still says i,m number 4 in the chart . Maybe its just my i pad getting old .
Im not certain how long i can stand the uncertainty of NTL though .......

suse
04-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Thanks jt. I was a little reckless and got Business upgrade on offer at checkin for part flight. You know , just to prevent DVTS etc ... Totally justifiable ......
It still says i,m number 4 in the chart . Maybe its just my i pad getting old .
Im not certain how long i can stand the uncertainty of NTL though .......
I was just looking at the standings out of interest (I didnt take part myself) and I thought if BLT takes off (although it is totally stalled at the mo) you should be top of the heap Yoda.. :)

Snoopy
04-09-2017, 04:11 PM
I was just looking at the standings out of interest (I didnt take part myself) and I thought if BLT takes off (although it is totally stalled at the mo) you should be top of the heap Yoda.. :)

If BLT takes off the same thing would happen. as when OIC took off. The competition shows the opening year value of OIC of 92c, dividend of 2cps and a current market price of $1.76. The calculator shows a gain of 10.82% (sic, actual gain is 93.4%) which is so grossly wrong that the competition is now meaningless. All other shares are added up incorrectly as well. Until we can cajole Klid back out of his black hole to fix things, you can forget the competition.

SNOOPY

Yoda
05-09-2017, 10:46 PM
When i log on, it still says houly update of 8th Aug. at the top of the page just above the word Rank and Alias ..... Anyone else have a different date?

Yoda
05-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Haha..... BLT taking off would require a massive H bomb under it .

hang on, I just might know where i can get one ........ Or maybe not , he already used it !

but seriously, hope klid is ok... Does anyone know who he really is , and check on him ?

it he cant carry on with this site, i wouldn't mind, but would be nice to know he's OK

Snow Leopard
09-09-2017, 02:28 PM
With the stocktastic.co.nz (https://stocktastic.co.nz/) competition website not updating and klid, rather more worryingly, being incommunicado I have taken on this years competition for the time being.

You can find the latest positions at:

http://papertiger.asia/st2017/

At the moment it could use a little polishing round the edges and I will do some more work on it to as time permits:
I do know that some of the dividends are not currently included;
It does not show your selected stocks;
A few names lost spacing when I scraped them off stocktastic;
etc.

In theory it will update about 6:30pm each evening with the latest end of day prices

Stock gains are calculated as (current price + gross dividends * 0.67)/6-jan-2017 closing price.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

09-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Well done PT and thank you.

It would be good to know that klid is OK.

bohemian
09-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Thank you, most appreciated.

percy
10-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Thank you Paper Tiger.

Jay
10-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Thanks PT .

Snow Leopard
11-09-2017, 06:52 PM
OK, one coding error fix later and http://papertiger.asia/st2017/ has done its end of day update. Should be good for a while now.

Have a look at the tiger on the frontpage (http://papertiger.asia/) while you're there.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

winner69
11-09-2017, 07:02 PM
OK, one coding error fix later and http://papertiger.asia/st2017/ has done its end of day update. Should be good for a while now.

Have a look at the tiger on the frontpage (http://papertiger.asia/) while you're there.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

What's happened PT - me old mate Balance is thrashing you in your little race

Snow Leopard
11-09-2017, 07:10 PM
What's happened PT - me old mate Balance is thrashing you in your little race

'Opeless Opus! - Up 93% on a takeover.

To add insult to injury friggin Freightways is up 15% as well.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Yoda
12-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Thanks PT . your hard work is appreciated. ,

thestg
13-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks PT. The site looks great!

waikare
17-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks PT your the man.

Cheers Waikare

Beagle
17-09-2017, 11:51 AM
The hound thanks you too PT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFLMwUT7_-k

Yoda
25-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger
did you paint that ?

Snow Leopard
25-09-2017, 05:51 PM
did you paint that ?

No, it is a detail from a painting at a Buddhist temple complex up some mountains near Gwangju, South Korea.

Gwangju is the home of a Kia Motors manufacturing plant and, more importantly:

the Kia Tigers Baseball Team (http://www.tigers.co.kr/main.asp).

(who lost 5-0 yesterday :()

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Yoda
26-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Oh well, better luck next time ...great painting !

LAC
06-10-2017, 12:57 AM
Is the stock contest updates working? Looks a bit out of date to me, THL is 4.48 when it should be 4.98 - how often does it update?

Jay
06-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Try this for an update LAC, thanks to Paper Tiger

http://papertiger.asia/st2017

Kild seems to have gone AWOL, we all hope he is Ok

LAC
08-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Thank Jay, much appreciated!!!!!

Absolute144
09-10-2017, 07:19 PM
TRU on the stock picking contest Price not updated currently reading .14 but its actually .19

Ta.

Jay
09-10-2017, 08:10 PM
TRU on the stock picking contest Price not updated currently reading .14 but its actually .19

Ta.
See post 194 or 210

Absolute144
10-10-2017, 09:26 PM
See post 194 or 210
Thanks Jay. I Hope all is ok .

bullfrog
17-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Thanks PT for changing PJ001 to bullfrog, appreciated.

see weed
20-10-2017, 02:31 PM

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Thanks PT. Good colour and easy read.

Beagle
20-10-2017, 05:47 PM

You're doing well mate with your ATM selection in there. The hound is doing okay, no ATM in my selection for the competition but thankfully have some in my real portfolio :t_up:

Snow Leopard
22-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Orange and black is the new black.

MPC
30-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Just saw the new updated site.
Who's number 1?
Cheers,
MPC

Snow Leopard
30-10-2017, 02:47 PM
...Who's number 1?...

Oh no! Is that back again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

BW, PT

MPC
30-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Ha ha. Appreciate you taking control of this tiger. nzx having a good year for lots of us.

Cheers,
MPC

Snow Leopard
31-10-2017, 08:18 PM
http://papertiger.asia/images/st2017-10-31-A.png

weasel
11-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Hey paper tiger, great work on the stock picking comp. I was wondering if you could add one more entry - which is simply the 5 most picked stocks? Call it top5 or whatever. I believe it is the following (number of times picked, ticker):
43 FPH
47 ATM
48 AIR
50 HBL
54 THL

Not a bad way to pick a portfolio.. rely on collective knowledge of sharetrader community
cheers
wease

Snow Leopard
12-11-2017, 12:05 AM
Hey paper tiger, great work on the stock picking comp. I was wondering if you could add one more entry - which is simply the 5 most picked stocks? Call it top5 or whatever. I believe it is the following (number of times picked, ticker):
43 FPH
47 ATM
48 AIR
50 HBL
54 THL

Not a bad way to pick a portfolio.. rely on collective knowledge of sharetrader community
cheers
wease

and the Tiger said...

NO!

weasel
12-11-2017, 01:51 AM
and the Tiger said...

NO!

fair enough :-)

Rank Name Selections %Gain
9 Top5 THL HBL AIR ATM FPH 85.85%

Just in case anyone cares ;-)

winner69
12-11-2017, 03:34 AM
fair enough :-)

Rank Name Selections %Gain
9 Top5 THL HBL AIR ATM FPH 85.85%

Just in case anyone cares ;-)

.....coincidently seems to be Top Dog’s picks

12-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Interesting to know if he put his picks in late and used this method to select them.

winner69
13-11-2017, 09:59 AM
.....coincidently seems to be Top Dog’s picks

With a name like that must be Beagle ...ha ha

see weed
13-12-2017, 06:03 PM

JeremyALD posted about 10 months ago. It appears there is no HLG holders above us, but don't think it will make much difference to the final outcome. I am very happy to be in the 80% plus position. And am over the moon at portfolio up over 55% after fees and losses in the last 12 months:t_up:. Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year everyone:cool:.

Snow Leopard
15-12-2017, 05:13 PM
I have now fiddled with the numbers to add in the effect of the rights issues for HBL and TWR.

I just have to cope with SPG and their double dividends next week and I need to fiddle some more numbers so that I win the contest.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

JeremyALD
18-12-2017, 08:45 PM
JeremyALD posted about 10 months ago. It appears there is no HLG holders above us, but don't think it will make much difference to the final outcome. I am very happy to be in the 80% plus position. And am over the moon at portfolio up over 55% after fees and losses in the last 12 months:t_up:. Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year everyone:cool:.

Pretty happy with a top 20 performance! And who knows, RBD might just top AIR - it's pretty close ;)

Beagle
20-12-2017, 11:46 AM
2017 was a great year to stay long in AIR with ~ 50% gains.

Leftfield
20-12-2017, 12:18 PM
2017 was a great year to stay long in AIR with ~ 50% gains.

2017 was also a great year to stay long in ATM (291% gains) and PPH (127% gains.) :t_up:

Beagle
20-12-2017, 12:35 PM
2017 was also a great year to stay long in ATM (291% gains) and PPH (127% gains.) :t_up:

Yeap, tell me about it ! Didn't have them in my ST competition picks but very happy they were in my real portfolio and I don't think the fun is over by any means yet :t_up:

Raz
21-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Yeap, tell me about it ! Didn't have them in my ST competition picks but very happy they were in my real portfolio and I don't think the fun is over by any means yet :t_up:

Should have bought more ATM..great miss for me this year.

Dassets
21-12-2017, 08:35 PM
I think the NWF dividend has been missed in the numbers.

Snow Leopard
21-12-2017, 10:58 PM
I think the NWF dividend has been missed in the numbers.

I have checked and the dividend is incorporated.

Todays price 14.4c, plus dividend 0.79127c [being (0.85+0.331)*0.67]

Opening price 8.5c giving a 78.72% gain to date.

Hopefully, I have everything else covered off.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

Toulouse - Luzern
27-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Having seen off Santa, the international man of mystery, it is time to thank some of the the other heroes of 2017 ...

Thanks Klid, Paper Tiger, and Sylvester Cat for all your efforts in running the competition and preparing for the next.

It may look easy, but it assuredly isn't.

And thanks also to the top ten competitors (at this stage so E&OE),

An interesting bunch, from their noms de guerre ...

Thor, Wetfish, Kaybee, Blobbles, JK, MPC, Parrot, Top Dog, and Bohemian.

Thor with 198.87% so far, is a daunting target for the future.

And thanks to all the competitors, without all of you there is no contest.

So it is time to sort out some picks for 2018.

All the best, bon chance.

Baa_Baa
27-12-2017, 08:20 PM
212 entries, only 17 negative returns, top 10 all over 100% returns, moi at only(?) 63% just makes the top 50. :mellow:

Extraordinary even. All the best for 2018.

Oliver Mander
28-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Well done to klid and PT for sorting it out in 2017! klid, I love your website and wish my web skills were half as good as yours...
And as for the returns..well here's hoping for a similar 2018!!!

Rob Optimist
28-12-2017, 05:46 PM
I can't seem to get an updated result for this 2017. When I go into the rankings it is months old.
What am I doing wrong. Cheers

winner69
28-12-2017, 05:57 PM
I can't seem to get an updated result for this 2017. When I go into the rankings it is months old.
What am I doing wrong. Cheers

Paper Tiger does updating. Try this

https://papertiger.asia/st2017/

Beagle
28-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Paper Tiger does updating. Try this

https://papertiger.asia/st2017/

I believe this is this is testimony to the benefits of being a well informed participant on ST. A mid field performance at 106th place gained 31.5% and I believe the NZX50 is up just 23% by comparison. (Haven't looked at performance relative to other indices movements.)

Oliver Mander
28-12-2017, 07:43 PM
NZX = 22.2%. Have just done the calc for my own purposes!

Beagle
29-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Congrats to all 130 participants who beat the NZX50, well done, give yourself a pat on the back and the hound would like to extend sympathy to his fellow Beagle Snoopy who only just missed the cut.

winner69
29-12-2017, 03:10 PM
And Balance deserves a special mention ...he set out to come last and lose the most and come last he did.

It does take an awful lot of skill to pick the likes of the NZO, PEB, CGL, SEA and VIL - all perennial losers - knowing that if one came ‘right’ he wouldn’t be last.

Well done Balance me old mate

Addition - was another update since I posted and Balance was pipped at the post and was only second last. Never mind ..you still a hero mate

Snow Leopard
29-12-2017, 09:28 PM
The rules said that the competition ends with the close of trade on the last trading day of the year...
...which is/was today.

So these are the official results:

2017 NZX Stock Picking Contest

Updated: Fri, 29 Dec 17

Rank
Name
Selections
% Gain

Thor
SKO PPH SML AIR CEN
197.88%

Wetfish
SKO PPH THL TRA EVO
166.24%

Kaybee
SKO TRU ARV TRA MOA
126.14%

blobbles
ATM PPH XRO AIR HBL
117.88%

JK
ATM PPH FPH THL RYM
116.92%

MPC
ATM SML XRO AIR SUM
111.78%

Parrot
ATM SML RBD HBL SCL
110.25%

Top Dog
ATM FPH THL AIR HBL
103.48%

bohemian
ATM FPH THL AIR SCL
103.01%

Bosse1
ATM ERD XRO IFT WDT
101.95%

Awesome
ATM SML AIR MFT ARV
97.89%

Roadrunner
ATM PPH XRO ARV CBL
94.83%

see weed
ATM THL AIR HLG IFT
93.01%

JeremyALD
ATM THL RBD HLG IFT
92.06%

LadyGrey
ATM PPH AIR HBL BLT
91.14%

Everwood
ATM PPH XRO TIL MOA
90.58%

Scooter
ATM THL RBD RYM CVT
87.49%

BigBob
ATM NTL NZO RBC PEB
86.77%

bear
ATM XRO HBL CEN AIA
86.55%

rooster
ATM FPH RYM SUM FMS
83.50%

AE
PPH SML FPH THL CEN
83.41%

Yoda
ATM NTL THL BLT PIL
82.73%

waikare
ATM FPH HLG PGW TIL
82.62%

Felonius
NTL PPH HBL HLG MCK
82.00%

stef
ATM FPH THL HBL BLT
81.11%

upstart
PPH ERD XRO AIR IFT
81.04%

Haewai
NTL PPH FPH THL CAV
81.00%

Pricey
ATM PPH HBL CBL BLT
77.66%

Moose
ATM PPH NZR LIC GXH
77.58%

Toucan22
ATM SCT ALF SUM PEB
77.08%

J3Y
ATM HBL SCL CVT ANZ
76.78%

warthog
ATM AIR IFT EBO AIA
76.58%

mask
ATM SEK IFT MET NZR
74.90%

mfd
ATM XRO AIR SKL BLT
74.89%

NZSilver
ATM HBL CEN SUM TIL
74.11%

pak
ATM NTL EVO SEA BLT
73.08%

Left Field
ATM PPH FPH BLT PIL
72.83%

dela47
ATM THL AIR SUM BLT
72.57%

Rossimarnz
ATM THL AIR SUM PIL
72.34%

ShandyNZ
ATM SML RYM PEB BLT
70.79%

ras
ATM AIR HBL SKC PLX
68.55%

Fiskerking
PPH ERD FPH CEN TRA
68.50%

Kjula61
SML ERD FPH EBO WDT
66.72%

Antipodean
NTL AIR RBD HBL NZR
66.46%

Rabbi
ATM SUM EBO OGC ARV
63.92%

bullfrog
ERD OIC TTK HBL PLX
63.82%

zs_cecil
ATM XRO HBL PEB BLT
62.61%

Baa_Baa
ATM PPH ARV PLX OHE
62.31%

Stones
ATM ALF SPK ANZ FBU
62.26%

CodeRed
ATM NZR SPG OGC ANZ
60.25%

Numbersman
PPH THL AIR RYM FRE
59.38%

jimbo
SML AIR HBL SEK IFT
58.99%

JBmurc
NTL THL PGW NZO OGC
58.78%

S Elder
PPH FPH THL SUM CVT
58.60%

Harley
ATM THL MCK CBL PIL
57.61%

Deecimal
PPH NZK FPH CEN EVO
57.08%

Rust
OIC SCT FPH PGW CNU
56.56%

First NZ Capital
SML XRO FPH CEN TGH
55.27%

Cool Bear
NTL HBL PGW ARG AIA
54.42%

Grunta
ATM FPH STU PEB SLI
52.40%

Jantar
NWF THL AIR HLG IFT
51.62%

iceman
PPH THL HLG SAN TRA
51.29%

drrcd
NTL SML IFT EVO PIL
51.10%

Ratkin
ATM EBO RAK RBC SEA
51.03%

Pjai
FPH THL AIR HBL MFT
50.80%

biker
ATM CEN TRA RBC PEB
50.62%

ben28
PPH FPH MFT CEN AIA
50.29%

Ruaboy
SML HBL ALF SKL MVT
49.94%

MAGA!
NTL TPW MFT FRE STU
49.86%

Hamilton Hindin Greene
OIC FPH RYM GNE CNU
48.73%

Acegolfer
PPH THL HBL ARV STU
47.36%

horus1
ATM CVT TLT TRA PIL
46.56%

blockhead
FPH THL HBL SCL ZEL
46.39%

Risin Vortex
PPH RBD CDI IFT ARV
46.30%

Lola
SML GTK ALF FMS OHE
43.72%

ace5715
THL AIR HBL HLG SUM
43.32%

Federer
FPH THL AIR HBL TGH
43.11%

Bum_Burglar
NWF AIR HBL RYM CVT
42.95%

The hound
THL AIR SCL HLG SUM
42.85%

Mission
ATM HBL GXH MOA PLX
42.85%

PHuljich
PPH FPH EBO CVT BGP
42.17%

Eagle
ATM CVT TIL SEA OHE
41.93%

lac
THL RBD SEK RYM SUM
41.29%

spmcg
FPH THL HBL SUM AIA
40.62%

McGinty
ATM HLG TRA SLI PIL
40.21%

Muncha
SML SCL MFT NZR TRA
40.01%

kappa
SCT THL ALF SAN TRA
39.64%

Craigs Investment Partners
GTK RBD MFT CEN FSF
38.81%

Lawnmower man
THL AIR HBL HLG TRA
38.70%

Tongster
PPH HBL SUM MCK WHS
38.06%

Brucey09
PPH ALF MFT NZR AFT
37.85%

Nasi Goreng
SML AIR POT FSF GXH
37.75%

Jaa
GTK FPH THL TRA GEO
36.84%

JoshuaTree
GTK NWF FPH EVO CGL
36.65%

captainigloo
FPH HBL SCL SUM AIA
36.04%

KJ
THL AIR HBL SUM TRA
35.67%

crabs
FPH HBL ALF PGW LIC
35.01%

RMVonStock
MMH ALF EUT MFT CEN
34.97%

Duveldog
FPH DGL MGL SKL IKE
34.95%

slimshadow
SML AIR ZEL STU SCY
34.90%

MCCSA767
PPH ERD ARV EVO BLT
34.73%

Hobson Wealth Management
FPH RBD TPW MFT VGL
34.54%

Timid
THL HBL PGW SUM TWR
34.08%

taybay0404
SML ALF RYM AIA MOA
33.98%

james108
OIC RBD IFT MHJ EVO
33.61%

jumbo
SCT HBL IFT SUM NZR
33.13%

Lewylewylewy
THL RBD POT EBO NZR
33.02%

MAG
THL POT RYM SUM MCY
32.82%

BAFFLED
AIR HBL POT IFT FSF
32.78%

bung5
TTK AIR KMD CNU EVO
32.10%

shasta
XRO THL IFT NZX RBC
31.27%

thestg
AIR SCL IFT CEN EBO
31.18%

youngatheart
NTL PPH CGL BLT PIL
31.15%

Fiasco
SML SUM CNU AIA TIL
30.95%

percy
THL ALF HLG MCK TRA
30.50%

Tim23
NWF FPH NZO AIA AFT
30.31%

Harrison
NZK FPH SKC FSF EVO
30.12%

forest
THL ALF SAN SKL SDL
29.40%

newtrader
FPH AIR IFT EBO BGP
29.37%

Kelvin
AIR RBD HLG SUM TIL
29.11%

Patrick
RBD HBL SAN EBO VHP
28.81%

Penny
SML POT EBO MVN RBC
28.27%

Whemthat
GTK FPH VGL TIL EVO
27.78%

littletramp
GTK SCT ABA VGL MPG
27.74%

lee
THL HBL CEN CVT TIL
27.28%

exactchange
XRO HBL IFT ARV STU
27.12%

clips
AIR HBL SUM EBO AIA
26.89%

vici
GTK RYM EBO MHJ TIL
26.86%

Saint
THL AIR HLG TRA EVO
25.65%

Way Over The Hill
SCT HBL CNU AIA WBC
25.38%

Vaygor1
ALF RYM CDI SUM AIA
25.12%

Forsyth Barr
FPH THL IFT CBL EVO
24.49%

gmatt
NTL THL RBC CAV BLT
24.31%

ari
SCT FPH POT RBC SEA
23.91%

Big Blind
AIR SCL IFT FRE EVO
23.37%

Crackity
NWF NZO NZX NZR NPT
23.02%

Jay
AIR HLG SUM EBO TIL
22.81%

S Club5
SCL SKL SUM SPN SKC
22.34%

Hamish
FPH IFT SKC AIA MHJ
22.18%

Snoopy
RBD SKL CEN SKC SPK
21.95%

Graham
HBL DGL VHP ARG TIL
21.34%

Bilbo
PPH GTK ARV SLI BLT
21.04%

EJK
TTK THL IFT TGH BLT
21.00%

JBWere
FPH MFT CEN FSF EVO
20.91%

Taijon
SCT FPH NZO RBC FBU
20.80%

h2so4
RBD ALF MCK MET AWF
20.65%

buddha beer
AIR ALF RYM IFT PLX
19.35%

garfy
THL AIR SCL ARV PIL
19.07%

MSL Capital Markets
SML HBL AIA GXH PLX
18.97%

troyvdh
RYM CEN SUM PFI MET
18.12%

greater fool
POT CDI NZO MCK ANZ
18.07%

kiwichick
AIR POT AIA WBC ANZ
17.75%

Stevevai1983
RYM IFT SUM EBO ARV
17.53%

Sun Lee
FPH CEN TWR CVT EVO
17.53%

TFA
PPH HBL MET MPG OHE
17.35%

duncan22
GTK XRO TIL CBL OHE
17.23%

Noodles
THL RBD TRA AWF CBL
16.93%

Mangom
FPH TPW NZR AIA FBU
16.88%

Mshierlaw
TPW IFT SUM EBO STU
16.78%

Crow
GTK SUM MEL ARV MPG
16.57%

Deej5
HBL VHP ARG PFI AIA
16.42%

Teeps
SCL RYM SUM AIA CBL
16.17%

Johndes
HBL MEL FSF SPK ARV
15.95%

Major von Tempsky
GFL HLG MFT SPK FBU
15.72%

minerbarejet
THL GMT IPL VCT PEB
15.25%

hcpp88
AIR ZEL CVT AIA ANZ
14.32%

DarkHorse
THL HLG TRA SCY EVO
13.89%

klid
ALF IFT MCK TRA SCY
13.79%

Farcanal
FPH IFT NZR ANZ PEB
13.61%

lissica
RYM IFT MFT FRE GXH
13.05%

bull....
HBL SCL FSF NZR CAV
12.35%

pedro.nz
XRO MFT SUM AIA BLT
11.94%

ABhatnagar
PPH RYM TGH CAV MPG
11.89%

GMT PCT ARG PFI KPG
10.99%

Alz99
AIR CEN PCT ARV PEB
10.97%

amalgam
THL ALF FLI TRA PIL
10.60%

Rob Optimist
FPH IFT CVT CBL PEB
10.28%

silverblizzard888
PPH RBD RBC CAV BLT
10.14%

WLDSTH
MFT MCK TGG AIA TME
9.97%

SAM2103
RYM MFT EBO VHP BFW
9.68%

mani99
PGW MCK AWK KPG STU
9.53%

JayRiggs
HLG IFT VGL TIL TGH
9.31%

Balloon
THL ABA RAK TIL MOA
9.23%

whitewatergeo
XRO SKL SPK TME BLT
9.00%

dinkv
RBD IFT AWK BGP FBU
8.93%

Xerof
AIR HBL IFT PEB OHE
6.93%

but-what-do-i-know
SCL HLG MEL ARV BLT
6.81%

Huxley
HLG KMD IFT ANZ BLT
6.60%

Toulouse - Luzern
SCL MCK AIA SDL CBL
6.41%

clip
SCL ALF AIA CBL MPG
5.47%

hogie
FPH SKC NZR FBU BFW
5.33%

Grimy
AIR PGW CEN TGH BLT
5.15%

Pierre
THL AIR TIL PEB BLT
3.76%

beetills
HBL CDI ANZ RBC CGL
3.20%

Scottjamesy
THL AIR SUM BLT PIL
2.47%

Ewnet13
HBL GNE NZO BFW CGF
2.12%

airedale
MEL SPK MHJ TIL TGH
2.11%

angrytoenail
XRO MFT SPK PEB BLT
2.09%

reacher
PPH AIR SLI OHE PIL
1.95%

riggers
SCL PGW TGG AIA VIL
1.20%

BlackPeter
HBL MCK TRA STU MPG
0.83%

Paper Tiger
OIC FRE TRA BLT PIL
0.49%

Vulcan Capital
NZK TRU TRA PEB PIL
0.34%

Placemakers
THL FSF NZR MOA PLX
-0.71%

Southern_Belle
HBL ALF TIL SEA PIL
-0.98%

mikeybycrikey
XRO AIR RBC PLX OHE
-1.29%

Rokko
THL IKE CNU PEB BLT
-2.42%

Janner
SKL WDT ARV TRA CAV
-5.05%

SCOTTY
GFL FLI NZR CGL SLI
-7.31%

golden city
THL NZR PEB CGL CAV
-7.90%

Gonzo
HBL EBO STU CAV PIL
-10.63%

watford
MEL ARV TRA TGH BLT
-12.28%

Jotal
SCL BGP TGH EVO BLT
-12.41%

QOH
PGW SUM SPK BLT PIL
-13.90%

Dogs of the NZX
AIR AFT EVO PEB PLX
-13.91%

RGR367
XRO RAK PEB OHE BLT
-15.25%

Sure Thing
THL SEA PEB MPG PLX
-17.48%

davflaws
ALF NZR PEB PLX BLT
-19.12%

Balance
NZO SEA PEB CGL VIL
-30.43%

investor420
AFT EVO PEB GEO OHE
-32.17%

Well done one and all.

ありがとうございました
Paper Tiger

Snow Leopard
29-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Gains :) and Losses :( for each chosen share.

Rank
Stock
% Gain

SKO
655.17%

ATM
287.98%

NTL
183.33%

PPH
132.96%

SML
128.57%

ERD
123.75%

OIC
112.92%

GTK
91.31%

TTK
88.37%

NZK
82.68%

NWF
81.07%

XRO
72.32%

SCT
67.57%

FPH
67.08%

THL
66.20%

MMH
54.71%

AIR
50.46%

RBD
45.71%

HBL
45.67%

SEK
44.58%

DGL
43.35%

SCL
43.33%

ALF
41.83%

GFL
37.52%

HLG
34.70%

KMD
34.26%

POT
31.88%

MGL
31.58%

EUT
31.50%

RYM
30.36%

TPW
30.36%

CDI
29.28%

PGW
28.26%

GNE
26.34%

SAN
26.13%

IFT
25.68%

SKL
25.06%

MFT
24.59%

CEN
22.24%

ABA
20.28%

SUM
19.58%

MEL
19.53%

FRE
16.94%

TRU
16.67%

NZO
16.10%

GMT
16.09%

MCY
16.09%

PCT
15.88%

EBO
14.19%

NZX
14.16%

IPL
13.49%

SPN
13.49%

MCK
13.33%

FMS
12.50%

VHP
12.33%

VCT
12.04%

FLI
11.04%

TWR
10.70%

ARG
10.25%

SKC
10.23%

FSF
10.20%

ZEL
9.68%

PFI
9.31%

MET
9.11%

MVT
8.57%

AWK
8.53%

IKE
7.69%

CVT
7.19%

NZR
7.13%

CNU
6.94%

SPK
6.50%

SPG
6.41%

VGL
4.96%

TGG
4.87%

AIA
4.56%

TLT
3.67%

KPG
3.41%

MHJ
3.32%

TME
2.50%

WBC
2.13%

WDT
0.00%

OGC
0.00%

RAK
0.00%

ANZ
-0.27%

ARV
-2.15%

NPT
-3.35%

TRA
-3.55%

TIL
-4.91%

STU
-5.90%

AWF
-6.74%

LIC
-7.82%

SCY
-8.32%

BGP
-10.56%

MVN
-11.29%

SDL
-12.22%

TGH
-13.87%

CBL
-16.96%

AFT
-17.27%

EVO
-19.56%

WHS
-21.24%

RBC
-22.00%

FBU
-24.74%

SEA
-25.00%

PEB
-31.58%

GXH
-32.35%

BFW
-33.08%

MOA
-35.44%

CGL
-36.67%

GEO
-36.84%

CGF
-44.44%

CAV
-44.59%

MPG
-45.41%

PLX
-51.61%

SLI
-55.56%

OHE
-55.61%

BLT
-61.36%

PIL
-62.50%

VIL
-75.00%

Beagle
30-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Fascinating to see STU, FBU and MPG all make the sick puppies list in the midst of a building boom and a booming sharemarket. Worse, this is not isolated to 2017 by any means. Construction / Building sector returns over the years have been very poor relative to the market. Not sure why so many managed funds continued with their persistent approach to an approximate market weighting to this sector, go figure ?
Not quite sure what to make of this other than to steer well clear of that sector for the foreseeable future.

Snoopy
31-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Congrats to all 130 participants who beat the NZX50, well done, give yourself a pat on the back and the hound would like to extend sympathy to his fellow Beagle Snoopy who only just missed the cut.

The NZX50 started the year 6974 (Wed 4th January) and closed at 8398 (Fri Dec 29th). That makes a gain of 20.4%. Note that the NZX50 is an accumulation index that includes dividends so it is a fitting yardstick for the stock picking contest that also includes dividends. My competition score was 21.95%. So that means I have beaten the index by 1.5 percentage points. I am absolutely chuffed at this result. Why? Because my value based strategy should cause me to under perform the index by a couple of percentage points in high growth years, but outperform the index by 5 or 6 percentage points in not so good years. So with such a good year on the market my expectation was for an 18.5% gain, not 22%.

Very pleasing from my perspective as well because as some competitors who have done well are inclined to forget at competition end, successful investing is all about getting the best result you can for the risk you want to take. At competition end, the risk by definition is zero because the competition is done and dusted. But at the start of the year everyone had a different risk they were willing to take and I wasn't willing to take any big gambles. The competition was a good approximation to my actual portfolio so all gains I made were real. So to get an above average result using my low risk strategy was just brilliant. Thanks very much for PT for rescuing the contest, and was glad to hear that klid was Ok!

SNOOPY

RGR367
31-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Okay. So pure speculative stocks won't cut it for a contest. Lesson learned so entered only 3 speculations for the next one :D