PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Watchlist

Lewylewylewy
19-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Hi guys,

There are a lot of shares that don't get talked about that people keep a keen eye on. I thought it might be productive to each share our watchlist to help spur new sources of research.

Here's mine to get things going:

AIA - I like the idea of owning infrastructure, but don't own any because this goldfish is the size of the bowl and some new fish food has just been sprinkled on his head.
ANZ - Banks
ARV - Not my first choice of investment in the industry, but a viable option. Good to keep an eye on the price
DGL - Alcohol. No growth here IMO, but I like the idea of owning that real estate
EBO - Love this company of go-getters with good spread in healthcare and pets (services needs)
FPH - Healthcare (I like). Growth (I like). Easy to understand. I don't like the PE - depending on your strategy, payoff is ridiculously long term.
GMT - I'd rather invest in businesses using the land for profit than a business renting the land, but I think there's some value in REITS. When I sell my rental property, I may invest in a REIT to keep some skin in the game.
GNE - High dividends, easy to understand the business (but not the NTA side of it - WTF?)
GXH - Healthcare, I own some of these. I don't like the SP, but it will pay off one day. I think one day these will take off crazy. I'm ashamed to admit that I honestly don't know the business as well as I should to invest in it, but I just wanted to get a smal parcel a while back when... lets say "when I was developing my strategy". A learning exercise for me, but I do like the sector as an investment (as a consumer, the sector is a rawt).
HBL - Bank with room to do interesting things.
KPG - My favourite standard REIT
MET
MFT - USA exposure, not holding.
MMH - Infrastructure.
MWE - Same as DGL, but I like that it's more of a penny share.
NPT - My least favourite REIT. I own some, but I'm looking to sell.
NZR - Unique business in NZ.
NZX - Hard to see this financial giant faltering. Good divies.
PCT - REIT.
PFI - REIT.
POT - Infrastructure. Growth. Easy to research and get an edge. Easy to guess the future of this one. Waiting for it to get Trumped so I can get in big.
RBD - I sold out of this at it's highs. I view it as a good short term toy. Fun. :)
RYM - As ARV. Would be my favourite if it wasn't so expensive.
SCL - I'm waiting for a bad year to buy in. Easy cyclical, great company. Food (consumer needs).
SEK - As SCL.
SPN - As MMH.
SUM - My go-to in the sector.
VHP - My favourite REIT (above KPG).
WBC - Banks
ZEL

I keep one eye (one quatre of an eye, really) on the milk price. ATM could be an interesting one. Especially if you go off Urban Dictionary's understanding of the subject lol.

I view different shares in the above list as having different investment purposes. Until I buy a house that I will settle in, I'm not settling on a buy and hold model. But when I do, the following shares will likely be in my portfolio:

- AIA (to buy during recession) - Medium holding
- ANZ/WBC (to grow by trading "free shares") - Large holding
- EBO - Medium holding
- FPH - Medium holding
- GNE/CEN/MEL (as part of a stable return) - Large holding
- KPG - Large holding
- POT - Large holding
- SCL - Medium holding
- SEK - medium holding
- SUM/ARV/RYM - Large holding
- VHP - Large holding
- ZEL - Small holding
and Squirrel Money for the diversity - Large holding

tim23
19-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Interesting reading on list 2 I have in common; ANZ, WBC, EBO, GENE, CEN, SCL just been reading Allan Hubbard story and how he recruited Andy Borland from WBC to run SCL

garfy
19-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Pleased to see someone baring their soul. Thank you Lewyx2.

I have a limited range of interest.....but

AIR - My favourite company, superbly run in the face of "some big guns", competing very well!
ARV - most happy with the lower entry price into the 'later life' business. I like their approach to total care.
SCL - Apples are go! But they also have logistics, and animal food.....
THL - Happy seeing all the camper vans trundling around NZ.... as long as the rents drive on the right - LEFT - side of the road.

But who can resist having a dabble in the "penny dreadfuls"....
BLT - probiotics are the way forward... hopefully Blis can keep on ts most promising path
PIL - Health, a sure seller.... and if it solves the taste problem for dogs....
SEA - Now in Omega 3 production..... again health products sell.....
TRU - a quiet performer, making progress but ...fingers crossed.

Wise or not, I set out to use a limited capital base partly in 'solid' companies, and then 'invested' a smaller amount in small companies "that may ......"

Enjoyed the ride so far,

G.

winner69
19-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Lewy -I'm disappointed in you

All those stocks on your watchlist and no PUSHPAY - PPH

Minerbarejet
19-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Lewy -I'm disappointed in you

All those stocks on your watchlist and no PUSHPAY - PPH

Gee, Im disappointed too, no PEB or its relative in Oz CDY

couta1
19-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Only holding 4 stocks currently in following proportions. Air-XXXOS/ ATM-XXOS/Sum-XOS/ NZR-OS. On watchlist are the only other 4 stocks I have owned and would be keen to again at some stage, HBL/RYM/Tnr/Spk. PS- NZR is not a stock I would own a lot of again, but not selling for a loss while it's still pumping out divvies and will take a cyclical upswing again at some point.

traineeinvestor
20-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Thanks for sharing.

As someone who has a current need to more or less double his allocation to NZ equities, it's helpful to see what other people are looking at on a portfolio basis.

Unfortunately (or not), right now most of the good dividend paying shares seem to offer limited growth (WBC, NZX, SKL, GNE etc) and the ones offering growth are very expensive (AIA, POT, MFT, SUM etc).

It is really hard to find anything I would queue up to buy at the moment.

Snow Leopard
20-02-2017, 12:36 AM
My NZX Watchlist IS the entire NZX.

I have a computer watch it for me, and tell me of anything of interest.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

couta1
20-02-2017, 06:43 AM
Thanks for sharing.

As someone who has a current need to more or less double his allocation to NZ equities, it's helpful to see what other people are looking at on a portfolio basis.

Unfortunately (or not), right now most of the good dividend paying shares seem to offer limited growth (WBC, NZX, SKL, GNE etc) and the ones offering growth are very expensive (AIA, POT, MFT, SUM etc).

It is really hard to find anything I would queue up to buy at the moment. Sum, very expensive.:confused:

winner69
20-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Thanks for sharing.

It is really hard to find anything I would queue up to buy at the moment.

Sometimes you have to pay a 'premium' for growth traineeinvestor. Like quality costs more but good inthe long run

You should consider Pushpay PPH - hyper growth and all that. Probably double your money in a year or so.

Toulouse - Luzern
20-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Hi Paper Tiger,

I for one would be interested in the major elements of your filter/process to zero in on the top prospects.

Regards

TL

Snow Leopard
20-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Hi TL

This is essentially me looking for new stocks (i.e. that I do not currently hold) with the aim of purchasing as a long term investment.

This runs every evening once the days data is in and results in three tables:
NZX - all shares;
ASX - ASX300 shares (my Aussie super-ann only allows ASX300 stocks)
ASX - not ASX300 shares.

1/. Liquidity requirement 1:
a/. The average daily turnover for the last 64 trading days is greater than or equal to $80,000 - yellow.
b/. The average daily turnover for the last 64 trading days is greater than or equal to $160,000 - green.

2/. Liquidity requirement 2:
a/. The 16 trading day average daily turnover is higher than both the 64 trading day and 256 trading day averages - yellow
b/. The 16 day trading day average is higher than the 64 trading day average which is higher than 256 trading day average - green

3/. Recent high closing price:
a/. The highest closing price in the last 64 days was set within the last 8 trading days - yellow.
b/. The highest closing price in the last 256 days was set within the last 8 trading days - green.

4/. Dividend requirement:
a/. no dividends in the last two years - red
b/. dividends in the last year - orange
c/. dividends in both of the last two years - yellow
d/. dividends in both of the last two years and the dividend has increased year on year - green.

The table also indicates the number of days that the stock has met these conditions.

Then you look at the chart for about 20 seconds for each one and if you are have not done so recently you get the last few years accounts and other announcements and do the real hard yards, you consider the future for a while.

Then you buy or don't buy.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger.

Toulouse - Luzern
20-02-2017, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=Paper Tiger;656044]Hi TL

This is essentially me looking for new stocks (i.e. that I do not currently hold) with the aim of purchasing as a long term investment.

This runs every evening once the days data is in and results in three tables ...

Thank you TL.

Seems to me to be a professional low risk approach.

All the best

JeremyALD
20-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Only holding 4 stocks currently in following proportions. Air-XXXOS/ ATM-XXOS/Sum-XOS/ NZR-OS. On watchlist are the only other 4 stocks I have owned and would be keen to again at some stage, HBL/RYM/Tnr/Spk. PS- NZR is not a stock I would own a lot of again, but not selling for a loss while it's still pumping out divvies and will take a cyclical upswing again at some point.

If you had to pick one of HBL / RYM / TNR and SPK who would it be couta? :)

couta1
20-02-2017, 05:41 PM
If you had to pick one of HBL / RYM / TNR and SPK who would it be couta? :) What a tough pick, do I get to phone a friend or use a 50/50 option? Now let me see, SPK my old favourite but facing tougher times ahead, TNR plenty of growth to come but highly illiquid, HBL, a boring divvy paying stock ,and RYM also boring but a very long history of growth and record profits, and of course a sector I know very well, so RYM it is.:)