PDA

View Full Version : AIR - Air NZ.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

kiwichick
21-06-2016, 02:48 PM
My understanding is that the DRP is suspended until further notice.

K1W1G0LD
21-06-2016, 03:47 PM

This is what link told me too.

Beagle
21-06-2016, 03:55 PM

That's correct.

mikeybycrikey
21-06-2016, 05:18 PM

Ah. Looks like I'm wrong then.

It looks like the webpage at http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/dividends says "The DRP is open to all shareholders with registered addresses in New Zealand and Australia.", however the latest annual report says "The dividend reinvestment plan is currently suspended."

I sort of assumed that the Air NZ website might be a good source of information!

ohpark0119
21-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Ah. Looks like I'm wrong then.

It looks like the webpage at http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/dividends says "The DRP is open to all shareholders with registered addresses in New Zealand and Australia.", however the latest annual report says "The dividend reinvestment plan is currently suspended."

I sort of assumed that the Air NZ website might be a good source of information!

Thanks all

mp52
21-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Yeah - the dark art of public relations. The plan is real enough, but only further digging reveals that its a vestigal indicator of a prior utility - like a tailbone ;)

BIRMANBOY
21-06-2016, 06:07 PM
True but dividend reinvestment programs are frequently re-instated...which is unlikely for your long lost appendage.
Yeah - the dark art of public relations. The plan is real enough, but only further digging reveals that its a vestigal indicator of a prior utility - like a tailbone ;)

workingdad
22-06-2016, 07:16 PM
AIR must be getting boring, no comments for a day haha.

Another decent chunk after market trading - risk averse with Brexit perhaps. Be interesting to see how it plays out, we don't find out final results until 5pm Friday but UK reporting some throughout the day.

More bargain buying coming up perhaps but good to see AIR hold quite well given the market in general today.

Starting to think after the Brexit thing out of the way perhaps AIRs SP will improve as its been pretty steadily sideways for a while now and given the climate that's not too bad.

Nasi Goreng
23-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Not much talky on this thread which might mean both bulls and bears exhausted. It looks like AIR is holding for now and hopefully will be able to build on today's gains.

Interesting to look at VAH now at 23.75, didn't AIR do well to flog these at 33c!

workingdad
23-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Yeah fingers crossed it holds up with the potential for another aftermarket dump prior to brexit outcome.

I'm pretty happy with how the share price is doing lately and considering buying more again. Next week will be the decider on that one once brexit known. Still holding some from 2.07 but all in all after plenty of trading last few weeks down with an average of 2.40. Special divy will help soak up some of that but I didn't play it well earlier on. Lesson learnt there.

Agreed, pretty good outcome on that one. Could have been messy but they got out pretty damn well after VAH moments behind the scenes.

sb9
23-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Behind paywall on NBR, can't access the content....

"Air New Zealand puts hold on Philippines service"

iceman
23-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Suspended until further notice. "Industry source" says bookings well below expectations

Behind paywall on NBR, can't access the content....

"Air New Zealand puts hold on Philippines service"

Beagle
23-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Air New Zealand [NZX: AIR] is postponing the launch of its direct service to the Philippines, which was due to start in December, until further notice.

The airline says administrative delays in being able to make the new route available for sale, coupled with the traditionally longer booking window for the market, prompted the decision.

An industry source, who wishes to remain anonymous, has told NBR the bookings were well below what was expected for the non-stop direct service.

Air New Zealand, however, says bookings never opened for the service.

The first air link between the Philippines and New Zealand was launched last December by PAL (Philippines Airlines). This runs from Manila via Cairns in northern Queensland to Auckland.

The industry source says this is a popular leisure route and can justify the transtasman leg as an add on.

Initially, most of the traffic for this service is expected to be Filipinos living in New Zealand and Kiwis wanting a choice of holiday routes into Asia.

Note: Updated to correct route of PAL's Manila-Auckland service and add Air New Zealand comment on bookings.

Make of that what you will...

sb9
23-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks Roger and iceman.

workingdad
23-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Well there was certainly some activity this afternoon and price holding up which is reassuring, even after market trading was at 2.12 or higher.

Concerns of sub $2 are looking less likely or ominous.

There have been plenty advising against catching knives and waiting for signs of a turn around. Not quite there yet but am I alone in thinking AIR is looking better and better.

couta1
23-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Well there was certainly some activity this afternoon and price holding up which is reassuring, even after market trading was at 2.12 or higher.

Concerns of sub $2 are looking less likely or ominous.

There have been plenty advising against catching knives and waiting for signs of a turn around. Not quite there yet but am I alone in thinking AIR is looking better and better. The share price is volatile and still unpredictable IMO, for those of us with holdings big or small purchased at higher prices, worrying about catching falling knives is irrelevant and most of us are happy to collect a pile of excellent divvies over the coming years while the price oscillates between X and Y.

iceman
23-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Make of that what you will...

Roger what do you read into this ? I firmly read that AIR did not do their homework and have found through travel agents that they don't have the market for this service.

iceman
23-06-2016, 11:15 PM
On another note. I do not understand why AIR is not marketing their Buenos Aires route more as 1 of 2 things:
1: An alternative route for Kiwis to go to Europe, via BA
2: An alternative route for Chinese going via Auckland rather than Europe as they do now

From what I have seen (frequent traveler) , they have had very good loads from the beginning on this route but I do see a big drop in loads beyond southern hemisphere summer. So why not get some of the traffic from NZ & AUS to Europe in the northern hemisphere summer, travelling through this route. I have just had a ticket search for me by a travel agent going from NZ-Europe-Argentina-NZ with preference to be on AIR or other Star Alliance partners. They came up with lots of options but not via BA. I will end up going through Houston (probably would have gone LA so no benefit for AIR), then Lufthansa to Frankfurt and BA before AIR back to NZ. But the other options AIR gave me were really bad connections and did not include BA. They need to get the S into G. They are completely failing to utilise this route

Beagle
23-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Sorry mate I don't have any visibility on the Philippines thing.

Beagle
24-06-2016, 09:45 AM
https://nzx.com/companies/AIR/announcements/284580

Its great they've sold the vast majority of this flea infested pup for 33 cps which compares very favourably with yesterday's closing price of only 23.5 cps.
i.e. AIR sold at a meaningful premium to NTA and the stock now trades at a significant discount to asset backing, (SP where it really belongs in my opinion based on my own assessment of its prospects).
Folks can now rest easy...there will be no Ansett MK2 and the previous management's mess with Virgin has now been almost completely cleaned up.
A nice clear unencumbered flight path is a beautiful thing to behold, as any pilot would be happy to attest.
Regarding the prospects for a financial year end special dividend. Record ever profit at peak of cycle earnings, vast majority or Virgin stake sold and funds received and exchange rate at over 70 cents U.S. reducing balance sheet footings in regard to debt level's in $N.Z....Join the dots...

GR8DAY
24-06-2016, 10:04 AM
..........golly gosh could things ACTUALLY be falling into place finally.....neck minute that SPECIAL DIVY announced???

24-06-2016, 10:49 AM
On another note. I do not understand why AIR is not marketing their Buenos Aires route more as 1 of 2 things:
1: An alternative route for Kiwis to go to Europe, via BA
2: An alternative route for Chinese going via Auckland rather than Europe as they do now

From what I have seen (frequent traveler) , they have had very good loads from the beginning on this route but I do see a big drop in loads beyond southern hemisphere summer. So why not get some of the traffic from NZ & AUS to Europe in the northern hemisphere summer, travelling through this route. I have just had a ticket search for me by a travel agent going from NZ-Europe-Argentina-NZ with preference to be on AIR or other Star Alliance partners. They came up with lots of options but not via BA. I will end up going through Houston (probably would have gone LA so no benefit for AIR), then Lufthansa to Frankfurt and BA before AIR back to NZ. But the other options AIR gave me were really bad connections and did not include BA. They need to get the S into G. They are completely failing to utilise this route

BA is not Star Alliance which possibly explains connection issue.

Biscuit
24-06-2016, 11:41 AM
BA is not Star Alliance which possibly explains connection issue.

I think BA = Buenos Aires in this case

24-06-2016, 11:43 AM
I think BA = Buenos Aires in this case

Silly me. That should EZE things.

Biscuit
24-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Silly me. That should EZE things.

Made the same mistake myself on first read!

Zaphod
24-06-2016, 12:25 PM
AirNZ also do not actively market an alternative route via YVR. Various options with AC exist, and about a year ago, Air NZ itself applied for various rights to allow them to on-fly from YVR to Europe. Nothing further has heard of the latter.

Tony Two Gloves
24-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Lots or red arrows on my watch list with the only green being HBL as it looks like BREXIT will probably happen.

What will this mean for the AIR SP? I want some more but can't bring myself to pull the trigger especially as the Dow Futures are down about 360 points at the moment so there will be some serious selling going on over the next few days. Looks like its the sidelines for me for a couple of days....

Tony Two Gloves
24-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Futures now down 685 points for the DJIA - will AIR hold the $2.05??

ohpark0119
24-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Futures now down 685 points for the DJIA - will AIR hold the $2.05??

Seems like its holding well but never know...

skid
24-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Compared to the NZX (most shares)its held up very well--probably take a while for this to situation to settle down though--

..Good time to have Gold:)

Raz
25-06-2016, 03:11 AM
Compared to the NZX (most shares)its held up very well--probably take a while for this to situation to settle down though--

..Good time to have Gold:)

Actually a good time to buy UK assets, thats what the smart money is doing. A little time yet to buy into AIR b4 dividends declared.

skid
25-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Actually a good time to buy UK assets, thats what the smart money is doing. A little time yet to buy into AIR b4 dividends declared.

I disagree--I believe the smart money is waiting (it is encouraging that they have pulled back a bit from the lows though)---Europe has suffered most......I dont think this is the time to be Bullish

Marilyn Munroe
25-06-2016, 07:08 PM
AirNZ also do not actively market an alternative route via YVR. Various options with AC exist, and about a year ago, Air NZ itself applied for various rights to allow them to on-fly from YVR to Europe. Nothing further has heard of the latter.

The Canadian Government protects its own airlines with an eager intensity. Cullen Airlines application for on flight rights have probably been already shredded or are quietly fossilising in some clerks in-tray in an Ottawa basement.

Canadians near the border often begin flights from US airports to take advantage of more competitive fares.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

Raz
25-06-2016, 10:26 PM
I disagree--I believe the smart money is waiting (it is encouraging that they have pulled back a bit from the lows though)---Europe has suffered most......I dont think this is the time to be Bullish
You disagree based on what, my comment is based on an actual observation of three of the largest funds who have purchased pounds on the cross against the traders initial clearing of positions. They are posed to buy hard assets at a discount:)

Zaphod
26-06-2016, 09:40 AM
The Canadian Government protects its own airlines with an eager intensity. Cullen Airlines application for on flight rights have probably been already shredded or are quietly fossilising in some clerks in-tray in an Ottawa basement.

Canadians near the border often begin flights from US airports to take advantage of more competitive fares.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

AC is a *A member along with NZ, with this being a similar situation to UA re-entering the NZ market alongside NZ with a codeshare agreement; both parties can benefit. YVR (as you point out) is not as well served on an international basis as SEA, so it is a potential win for all parties.

workingdad
27-06-2016, 11:20 AM
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11664061

Brexit and airline stocks....

Everwood
27-06-2016, 11:35 AM
I made my first investment in Air NZ today. Even if the stock does go down a little bit more over the next couple of days, I'm still happy with my entry point.

workingdad
27-06-2016, 12:01 PM
I made my first investment in Air NZ today. Even if the stock does go down a little bit more over the next couple of days, I'm still happy with my entry point.

I would be doing the same if I wasn't already in the red with AIR. There's been good resistance at the 2.02 mark and if that holds while the Brexit situation plays out then I might have some regrets but for the moment I feel a bit more comfortable given the international markets but continually reassessing.

skid
27-06-2016, 12:05 PM
You disagree based on what, my comment is based on an actual observation of three of the largest funds who have purchased pounds on the cross against the traders initial clearing of positions. They are posed to buy hard assets at a discount:)

Are you talking about the pound or British assets--If they are posed to buy ,then they are waiting--Its just my opinion,but I cant imagine why any one would jump in at this stage with out a confirmation that the tide has turned--Cheap can become expensive at the drop of a hat.
That is true with AIR as well as we have all seen--Wait till those afternoon traders kick in today from other countries.

skid
27-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Guess we are on opposite sides of the equation--I actually felt lucky I got out when i did--time will tell. This didnt seem like the time to play the odds.--I look around and think ''now what out there is going to make the SP go up,and what might make it drop--there seemed to be more reasons in the latter box(by my reasoning) I think it will be the bigger markets that decide though--No one will take the lead from NZ...maybe China or the first European markets.

skid
27-06-2016, 02:48 PM
a close call for Singapore Air

sb9
27-06-2016, 04:19 PM

Ditto here, dipped in my toes today. I'm guessing the downside from here bit low in my oipinion, but who knows another day of trading maight changes that view. But happy with my purchase though, couldn't resists the temptation of FY divvy plus any special sweetener...

workingdad
27-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Right on close that 300,000 odd shares dropped kinda killed AIR today but I think the bargain hunters will be out more tomorrow once the U.S. Markets have a chance to bounce back a bit. Can't see the 2.02 resistance being broken with today's markets so far mostly showing some stability. Tempted to give it a nudge again.....

stoploss
27-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Right on close that 300,000 odd shares dropped kinda killed AIR today but I think the bargain hunters will be out more tomorrow once the U.S. Markets have a chance to bounce back a bit. Can't see the 2.02 resistance being broken with today's markets so far mostly showing some stability. Tempted to give it a nudge again.....

2.02 would be support if it was below the market , just like significant resistance around the 3.00 mark ....

JohnnyTheHorse
27-06-2016, 08:25 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/easyjet-warns-on-profit-citing-brexit-uncertainty-2016-06-27

Profit warnings in the airline industry - a one off, or a sign we are at the top of the cycle? Lets see what the XAL does overnight (speaking of which, looks like it has broken downwards from an ugly head and shoulders).

Baa_Baa
28-06-2016, 08:22 AM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/easyjet-warns-on-profit-citing-brexit-uncertainty-2016-06-27

Profit warnings in the airline industry - a one off, or a sign we are at the top of the cycle? Lets see what the XAL does overnight (speaking of which, looks like it has broken downwards from an ugly head and shoulders).

$XAL gapped down to open, currently 76 going into the close and global indices off the pace again overnight. With AIR sitting on $2.025 support it'll be a brave punter buying here.

Raz
28-06-2016, 08:45 AM
$XAL gapped down to open, currently 76 going into the close and global indices off the pace again overnight. With AIR sitting on $2.025 support it'll be a brave punter buying here.

Yes this will be the test to see if we can buy in real cheap.

janner
28-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Yes this will be the test to see if we can buy in real cheap.

A vote of confidence as the world markets crumble ???

Hahaha..

It had to happen.. Brexit is just the excuse for Bankers positional change.. IMHO.

Beagle
28-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Yet another Briscoes type sale today...hey it works for them having a sale on an extremely regular basis so it can't be a bad idea...but something occurs to me. Despite a little insider birdie telling me that most flights to Queenstown have been up gauged to A320's and despite a massive increase in seat capacity into Queenstown including new night flights you hardly ever see a good sale deal from Auckland to Queenstown. They don't seem to discount what they don't need too which is kind of frustrating really but I suppose its good for our shares. Good the shares have found support at around the net tangible backing of the airline, projected as at 30 June 2016.

P.S. Hands up who thinks AIR did well selling VAH now !

Raz
28-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Yet another Briscoes type sale today...hey it works for them having a sale on an extremely regular basis so it can't be a bad idea...but something occurs to me. Despite a little insider birdie telling me that most flights to Queenstown have been up gauged to A320's and despite a massive increase in seat capacity into Queenstown including new night flights you hardly ever see a good sale deal from Auckland to Queenstown. They don't seem to discount what they don't need too which is kind of frustrating really but I suppose its good for our shares. Good the shares have found support at around the net tangible backing of the airline, projected as at 30 June 2016.

Well I'm happy they are out of VAH short term, long term think may lose strategically market share/growth without VAH. Can't have it both ways... Sales are often for low load factor days coming up... I do find its ironic those not time poor and independently flexible on flying get the cheap airfares. Often these people don't have to work, and are often the wealthy ones:-)

sb9
28-06-2016, 02:16 PM

I think so too, from they were few months back. Think the management have really done well to preserve shareholder value. Current price region is good place for entry in my opinion which is reason I dipped my toes in y'day. Guess time will tell which way it plays out and sure there'll be some turbulence ahead....

Beagle
28-06-2016, 04:07 PM
I think so too, from they were few months back. Think the management have really done well to preserve shareholder value. Current price region is good place for entry in my opinion which is reason I dipped my toes in y'day. Guess time will tell which way it plays out and sure there'll be some turbulence ahead....

Yes, definitely keep your tray table folded away and seat belt firmly fastened !

RTFQ
29-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Oil price not looking good with all this instability. Might be time to buy.

BlackPeter
29-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Oil price not looking good with all this instability. Might be time to buy.

Time to buy what - oil or AIR?

sharp
29-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Time to buy what - oil or AIR?

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-28/why-oil-is-still-headed-as-low-as-10-a-barrel

Opinion piece from bloomberg.

BlackPeter
29-06-2016, 11:23 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-28/why-oil-is-still-headed-as-low-as-10-a-barrel

Opinion piece from bloomberg.

How often did they get it right before? Ever?

vin
29-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Solid bump up today, looking good!

winner69
29-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Interesting stats in this story

Although Wellington Airport has hardly crowed about it, its recent results included a telling chart, showing how passengers heading to Asia from the capital got there.

Just five years ago, 70 per cent did so flying through Auckland.

Despite Air New Zealand's immense popularity with Kiwis, and strong competition on the Wellington to Auckland route, that has now dropped below half, to 47 per cent.

Year after year the proportion falls, in years when international passenger growth from Wellington is weak or strong. (They now flying through Australia on Qantas etc)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/81274434/air-nz-helped-bring-singapore-to-capital-and-next-it-might-help-extend-the-runway

winner69
29-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Solid bump up today, looking good!

Movers and shakers back from lunch soon

Look forward to another decent bump up before end of day - looking good

sb9
29-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Movers and shakers back from lunch soon

Look forward to another decent bump up before end of day - looking good

Good volume through already 2mln + shares with price holding up reasonably well. Seems like price consolidation happening around this level.

sb9
29-06-2016, 03:01 PM
2:34:45 pm
$2,307,611
Off Market

2:30:37 pm
$10,375
Off Market

2:30:06 pm
$51,875
Off Market

winner69
29-06-2016, 03:11 PM
So nearly 300,000 shares for the man with the brightly shining halo to stay on until the end of 2017 and more to come after that

Wonder if Fonterra was ever a goer?

The pigs trough is getting to be a bit of a joke

At least shareholders are happy - that's the main thing

(that is how I read that announcement anyway -- might be other reasons for these extra shares)

sb9
29-06-2016, 03:20 PM
So nearly 300,000 shares for the man with the brightly shining halo to stay on until the end of 2017 and more to come after that

(that is how I read that announcement anyway -- might be other reasons for these extra shares)

Well that's another $600k to his remuneration based today's av price and could be more if sp goes up. Seems they're trying to lock his services further into future.

https://nzx.com/companies/AIR/announcements/284898

Beagle
29-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Tony Carter and Chris Luxon have done a good job of cleaning up their predecessor's Virgin mess and extricating themselves at a good price considering the circumstances.
Bottom line is Virgin is a flea infested mongrel and its no surprise to see it trading right on the 1:1 21 cent cash issue price yesterday. No doubt the underwriters will have their usual force majeure clause in their agreement which they'll be carefully eyeing up to see if Brexit meets the definition thereof. It'll be interesting to see if Virgin actually manages to get all of the desperately needed cash. Probably just as well most of the major shareholders have already pledged their support. AIR come out of this pretty well. Shareholders will get their share of the proceeds in due course.

Raz
29-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Fonterra well may have been a goer, I know a very close to the action birdie tells me that Theo is fed up, also does not like having to move house to get away from the media every three-four months..think he may well be moving on sooner rather than later.

Baa_Baa
29-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Flat close with ~250k shares for ~$500k trading after 5pm, looks like risk off, not wanting to hold an open position overnight with the turmoil going on, despite world markets shrugging off Brexit already, albeit probably short lived. Another good day for traders, the up morning, down afternoon pattern still holding. Short term trend is down but 2.02 - 2.05 still offering up support, though today's candle is a warning for chartists.

Raz
29-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Flat close with ~250k shares for ~$500k trading after 5pm, looks like risk off, not wanting to hold an open position overnight with the turmoil going on, despite world markets shrugging off Brexit already, albeit probably short lived. Another good day for traders, the up morning, down afternoon pattern still holding. Short term trend is down but 2.02 - 2.05 still offering up support, though today's candle is a warning for chartists.

You are so on to it, started trading again on Monday in AIR:-)

Gringo
29-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Can anyone tell me roughly the expected Ex-div date for September's divvy? I can't find last year's date anywhere. Would like to know how long I have to complete my position. Thanks

Xerof
29-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Baa Baa, re AIR, it's looking increasingly like a falling wedge to me. Todays candle doesn't mean much as it's not at the top or bottom of a trend, it's part of the current noise.

Textbooks will say the best approach is to (buy) enter on a close above the upper trend line on this wedge

Of course, this observation only applies if you believe the recent downtrend ended at 2.02, and the green shoots of a new uptrend have begun with the breaking of that downtrend line. It could also be a bearish price channel continuation of that downtrend

DYOR on falling wedges and their consequences

Baa_Baa
29-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Baa Baa, re AIR, it's looking increasingly like a falling wedge to me. Todays candle doesn't mean much as it's not at the top or bottom of a trend, it's part of the current noise.

Textbooks will say the best approach is to (buy) enter on a close above the upper trend line on this wedge

Of course, this observation only applies if you believe the recent downtrend ended at 2.02, and the green shoots of a new uptrend have begun with the breaking of that downtrend line. It could also be a bearish price channel continuation of that downtrend

DYOR on falling wedges and their consequences

I agree Xerof, today's candle only shows the sentiment on the day, which I interpret as risk-off. The falling wedge (maybe pennant, or possibly flag formation) definitely is towards testing the downside support 2.02-2.05 and I also agree that a Short term buy, on TA, is a break above the descending trendline say around 2.18. All of these notations though are well below mainstream MA's in a declining trend, so best left to the well informed and expert traders. On the down side, one sniff of bad news and it could all turn to custard in an instant. Tight stops if one is working AIR.

Raz
30-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Interesting stats in this story

Although Wellington Airport has hardly crowed about it, its recent results included a telling chart, showing how passengers heading to Asia from the capital got there.

Just five years ago, 70 per cent did so flying through Auckland.

Despite Air New Zealand's immense popularity with Kiwis, and strong competition on the Wellington to Auckland route, that has now dropped below half, to 47 per cent.

Year after year the proportion falls, in years when international passenger growth from Wellington is weak or strong. (They now flying through Australia on Qantas etc)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/81274434/air-nz-helped-bring-singapore-to-capital-and-next-it-might-help-extend-the-runway

I have seen similar trends for Christchurch and I do wonder about Queenstown, when I visit AIR seems out number on the tarmac down there. I really question the Air Auckland hub strategy, sure it has its economies of scale for operations however has it let in a lot more entrants into a market place than was required. Left growth opportunities on the table for others. It has also stunted regional development, when the direct flights from chch into Japan were cut it also cut off growers sending direct and it was well know to be a profitable route wrt people and freight.

30-06-2016, 08:55 AM
I have seen similar trends for Christchurch and I do wonder about Queenstown, when I visit AIR seems out number on the tarmac down there. I really question the Air Auckland hub strategy, sure it has its economies of scale for operations however has it let in a lot more entrants into a market place than was required. Left growth opportunities on the table for others. It has also stunted regional development, when the direct flights from chch into Japan were cut it also cut off growers sending direct and it was well know to be a profitable route wrt people and freight.

Air NZ has never operated CHC to Japan direct. They did though operate Japan to CHC direct.

Raz
30-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Air NZ has never operated CHC to Japan direct. They did though operate Japan to CHC direct.

Point taken, a typo is my haste sure, it was Japan direct in CHCH - doesn't kill the point thou does it AIR PR:-)

30-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Point taken, a typo is my haste sure, it was Japan direct in CHCH - doesn't kill the point thou does it AIR PR:-)

Well it does kill your point about freight direct to Japan.

Raz
30-06-2016, 09:48 AM
http://www.christchurchnz.com/shore-to-rise/ccts-response-to-air-nz-cancelling-japanese-service/

I can explain that however it will not interest most reading here, so here is how it hit regional development for anyone interested via link.

http://www.christchurchnz.com/shore-to-rise/ccts-response-to-air-nz-cancelling-japanese-service/

Beagle
30-06-2016, 09:56 AM
DAL and AAL up over 10% in the last two days. End of quarter for institutions and end of financial year for some of them could see good interest today.
Exchange rate over 70 cents U.S. means balance sheet footings regarding overseas debt and capitalised lease obligations will be materially lower than last year, i.e. gearing will be down and of course it will also be down because of the record operating profit.

Disc: Holding circa 8% portfolio allocation and not adding more.

sb9
30-06-2016, 10:52 AM
DAL and AAL up over 10% in the last two days.

You meant XAL index right Roger?

Beagle
30-06-2016, 11:42 AM
You meant XAL index right Roger?

Some people follow the index I follow DAL and American Airlines to keep an eye on what's happening in this sector over there.

see weed
30-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Aye Roger. It's all up up and away now, seeing all those buyers coming through at close. Have been buying up last week and have got a feeling It's ready to go:t_up:.

sb9
30-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Aye Roger. It's all up up and away now, seeing all those buyers coming through at close. Have been buying up last week and have got a feeling It's ready to go:t_up:.

Even better if you bought earlier this week when the price range was 2.025-2.05..

see weed
30-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Even better if you bought earlier this week when the price range was 2.025-2.05..
I sure did on Mondays close at 2.025 to add to the six other lots bought last week. That's it no more. Got too many now.

Raz
30-06-2016, 06:28 PM
I sure did on Mondays close at 2.025 to add to the six other lots bought last week. That's it no more. Got too many now.

I think a lot of us were buying earlier this week although volume was rather light at the right price.

Jaa
30-06-2016, 07:37 PM
London & Europe
- Emirates A380 direct to Dubai (Daily - Mar 16)
- Qatar direct flight to Doha (Daily - Feb 17)

Los Angeles
- American Airlines (Daily - Jun 16)

San Francisco
- United Airlines (Daily - Jul 16)

China
- Air China to Beijing (Daily - Dec 15)

Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Airlines (Daily - Nov 16)

Gold Coast & SE Asia
- Air Asia X (Mar 16)

Cairns & Manila
- Philippine Airlines (Dec 15)

NZ Domestic
- Jetstar Regional (Daily - Dec 15 & Feb 16)

Air NZ also plans to increase its capacity by 6-8% on short haul and 8-10% on long haul.

How much is too much?

brend
30-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Air China and UA is codeshare so hardly competition...

Airasia and Philippine airlines...no thanks

Raz
01-07-2016, 07:21 AM
London & Europe

Los Angeles

San Francisco

China

Hong Kong

Gold Coast & SE Asia
- Air Asia X (Mar 16)

Cairns & Manila

NZ Domestic

Air NZ also plans to increase its capacity by 6-8% on short haul and 8-10% on long haul.

How much is too much?

Emirates A380 direct from Auckland may have an influence however people having been looking at other options than AIR to EU for a long time now. No substantial real change there, just the convenience with better economy class. Asia offerings are not similar classes of products. Singapore has been there for a while, so no real change.

Really it is the Auck-LAX route that has the serious increase from no one competing to now AA/Qantas. They have a great product offering however AIR is now price matching and given they have the domestic network they can still offer a better price/connection option that AA/Qantas for people outside Auckland which is still 2/3rds of the population. For the Auckland market, that route is similar price, superior product with the 787 and wifi however before loyalty programs benefits.

So its far from clear cut increased competition is going to kill AIRs numbers.

dobby41
01-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Airasia and Philippine airlines...no thanks

No thanks for you maybe but still more competition.

sharp
01-07-2016, 09:30 AM
No thanks for you maybe but still more competition.

No thanks for me too.

see weed
01-07-2016, 09:40 AM
No thanks for me too.
Ditto here.

Beagle
01-07-2016, 11:02 AM

Hi see weed

I'm reluctant to embrace your enthusiasm to be honest in terms of a meaningful recovery...let's be honest the speed and severity of the fall has left many investors, (myself included) with a busy agenda of licking some fairly deep wounds.

That said from a dividend yield perspective I think AIR can kick out some pretty serious dividends for the foreseeable future and mainly for that reason I continue to hold. I also think the fall is a bit overdone and the company has modest gearing and a modern fleet so is well placed to continue to compete.

Sideshow Bob
01-07-2016, 01:04 PM
London & Europe

Los Angeles

San Francisco

China

Hong Kong

Gold Coast & SE Asia
- Air Asia X (Mar 16)

Cairns & Manila

NZ Domestic

How much is too much?

What portion of their profit is made from international and domestic?

First trip on Dreamliner last week - Business & Premium Economy were full both ways, but wouldn't have liked to be sandwiched down the back.

Interestingly, flights in and out of Qtown were quite sparsely occupied - but one was the same time as an AB's test, and ski season yet to kick in (although was start of the winter festival)

Raz
01-07-2016, 01:08 PM
What portion of their profit is made from international and domestic?

First trip on Dreamliner last week - Business & Premium Economy were full both ways, but wouldn't have liked to be sandwiched down the back.

Interestingly, flights in and out of Qtown were quite sparsely occupied - but one was the same time as an AB's test, and ski season yet to kick in (although was start of the winter festival)

Qtown kicks in usually at July school holidays and the snow..still waiting to get the snow right therefore extended shoulder season.

I was at the test, does not have much of an effect NZ wide as only 27k capacity for the game in Dunedin.

Sideshow Bob
01-07-2016, 01:59 PM
The last 10x been in/out flights out of Qtown have been basically completely full - even through May and early June.

I think people were watching the AB's test - a flight on a Saturday night isn't that attractive to a lot of Kiwis.

Raz
01-07-2016, 02:29 PM
The last 10x been in/out flights out of Qtown have been basically completely full - even through May and early June.

I think people were watching the AB's test - a flight on a Saturday night isn't that attractive to a lot of Kiwis.

Right i get you - Sat. night, well the weekend crowd certainly would not be going down that night regardless. Occupancy in Queenstown is not that high currently as I'm involved with a couple of hotels down there..why my comment..

Master98
01-07-2016, 11:35 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/tourism-australia-pact-with-air-new-zealand-puts-region-on-map/news-story/78103910dc67391432510c7b2c7aa899
Tourism Australia and Air New Zealand have struck a marketing agreement to encourage trav*ellers to make the journey across the ditch and beyond to the US.

A memorandum of understanding extends an existing deal, signed in 2013, that has helped Air New Zealand increase bookings to Australia during the past three years.
Air New Zealand chief executive Christopher Luxon said the agreement would help spur ticket sales from North America to Australia.
“Our work with Tourism Australia has contributed to a 13.9 per cent year-on-year increase in passengers travelling from North America to Australia,” Mr Luxon said.
“The United States and Canada are important growth markets for us as we continue to expand our Pacific Rim network. The addition of our Houston service late last year is attracting connecting passengers from the big east coast markets, many of whom are experiencing Air New Zealand’s product and service for the first time.”
Under the new agreement — which is worth more than $1 million — Tourism Australia and Air New Zealand will invest in joint marketing and sponsorship programs to target travellers to the US, Australia’s fourth *largest inbound tourism market.
“International traffic from North America is growing at *levels we haven’t enjoyed since the Sydney Olympics and this is due, in no small part, to the success of a range of targeted marketing *activities we’ve carried out in this market with Air New Zealand,” Tourism Australia managing director John O’Sullivan said.

Mr O’Sullivan said marketing activities planned for this year and next would continue to make use of Tourism Australia’s “There’s Nothing like Australia” campaign.
That campaign recently was updated to highlight Australia’s aquatic and coastal travel experiences.
Air New Zealand has increased capacity between the US and Australia in the past 18 months, including five new weekly services departing Houston, which started in December last year.
The introduction of a new Buenos Aires-Auckland service in the same month also has *improved access to Australia from Argentina, Brazil and other Latin American markets

Raz
02-07-2016, 05:46 AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/tourism-australia-pact-with-air-new-zealand-puts-region-on-map/news-story/78103910dc67391432510c7b2c7aa899
Tourism Australia and Air New Zealand have struck a marketing agreement to encourage trav*ellers to make the journey across the ditch and beyond to the US.

A memorandum of understanding extends an existing deal, signed in 2013, that has helped Air New Zealand increase bookings to Australia during the past three years.
Air New Zealand chief executive Christopher Luxon said the agreement would help spur ticket sales from North America to Australia.
“Our work with Tourism Australia has contributed to a 13.9 per cent year-on-year increase in passengers travelling from North America to Australia,” Mr Luxon said.
“The United States and Canada are important growth markets for us as we continue to expand our Pacific Rim network. The addition of our Houston service late last year is attracting connecting passengers from the big east coast markets, many of whom are experiencing Air New Zealand’s product and service for the first time.”
Under the new agreement — which is worth more than $1 million — Tourism Australia and Air New Zealand will invest in joint marketing and sponsorship programs to target travellers to the US, Australia’s fourth *largest inbound tourism market.
“International traffic from North America is growing at *levels we haven’t enjoyed since the Sydney Olympics and this is due, in no small part, to the success of a range of targeted marketing *activities we’ve carried out in this market with Air New Zealand,” Tourism Australia managing director John O’Sullivan said.

Mr O’Sullivan said marketing activities planned for this year and next would continue to make use of Tourism Australia’s “There’s Nothing like Australia” campaign.
That campaign recently was updated to highlight Australia’s aquatic and coastal travel experiences.
Air New Zealand has increased capacity between the US and Australia in the past 18 months, including five new weekly services departing Houston, which started in December last year.
The introduction of a new Buenos Aires-Auckland service in the same month also has *improved access to Australia from Argentina, Brazil and other Latin American markets

Seems a very smart way to deal also with the increased capacity on the LAX-AUCKLAND route discussed above.

Beagle
03-07-2016, 07:02 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/video.cfm?c_id=3&gal_cid=3&gallery_id=162482 United arrives back in revenue sharing J.V. with AIR.

Hard to believe another financial year is done and dusted.

see weed
04-07-2016, 12:12 AM
Hi see weed

I'm reluctant to embrace your enthusiasm to be honest in terms of a meaningful recovery...let's be honest the speed and severity of the fall has left many investors, (myself included) with a busy agenda of licking some fairly deep wounds.

That said from a dividend yield perspective I think AIR can kick out some pretty serious dividends for the foreseeable future and mainly for that reason I continue to hold. I also think the fall is a bit overdone and the company has modest gearing and a modern fleet so is well placed to continue to compete.
Agree, and that is why been buying in for last 4 weeks. Started at 2.23 then 2.19, 2.21, 2.125, 2.07, 2.08 and 2.025 And am only $1700 in the red.If it drops down to 1.80 to 2.05 then buy more. But do have a plan B which I activated in a similar situation with a2 milk 4 weeks ago.

see weed
04-07-2016, 09:07 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/video.cfm?c_id=3&gal_cid=3&gallery_id=162482 United arrives back in revenue sharing J.V. with AIR.

Hard to believe another financial year is done and dusted.
The scary welcome party got a bit close for comfort, poking the club at the United man, lol. I would be running back down the arrivals corridor if it was me:D.

Beagle
04-07-2016, 10:09 AM
The scary welcome party got a bit close for comfort, poking the club at the United man, lol. I would be running back down the arrivals corridor if it was me:D.

LOL I often wonder what our overseas guests make of this sort of thing. I suspect many would prefer a good hearty handshake and an invite to a good Kiwi BBQ. I am happy to hold what I have, learned from this experience never to have too many eggs in any one basket. Like you mate I thought topping up in the mid 220's was a good idea. Hindsight always 20/20...

GR8DAY
04-07-2016, 10:46 AM

......nothing scary about it at all if you understand and appreciate the cultural welcome. Great to see and hear the UNITED man's response.....clearly an intelligent individual with respect for our Tangata Whenua and all that embodies. Kia ora koutou katoa.

Beagle
04-07-2016, 11:05 AM
I think the beauty of these joint venture deals and in particular with respect to United airlines and their marketing clout is (based on my understanding of them as explained by Chris Luxon at the 2014 annual meeting) that effectively it doesn't matter which metal the customer flies on AIR still gets the same profit / revenue from the customer's experience. As bizarre as this sounds it simply doesn't matter how the customer differentiates between the two airlines their choice is completely revenue neutral to AIR N.Z. I think this is attractive for N.Z. customers / shareholders in two respects. Firstly this is the first Dreamliner experience to the U.S. which directly benefits AIR as a company and secondly looking at the seat capacity of the aircraft prima facie it would appear they are offering a quality seating configuration. The real nexus of this deal though is that this enables AIR to vertically integrate their marketing and promotional efforts to American customers and allows AIR to effectively take advantage of a seamless marketing initiatives aimed directly at United's substantial customer database.

sb9
04-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Strong bids currently at 209-211 range...may be some funds trying to accumulate now that FY 16 is done and dusted.

Beagle
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Strong bids currently at 209-211 range...may be some funds trying to accumulate now that FY 16 is done and dusted.

Ya all know I'm still annoyed at management regarding share sales just before the so called investor day but putting that aside you'd have to say on the face of it AIR's management team have done a good solid job this last year.
Firstly they're still on track to deliver an all time record profit, only some of which can be attributed to low fuel prices because clearly yields have been affected as other airlines have discounted.
Secondly they've cleaned up some ugly messes brought about by previous management / directors. Most importantly they've ostensibly extricated themselves from a woefully underperforming Virgin and perhaps almost as importantly have made the move towards eliminating a legal risk that has it roots over ten years ago with the cargo cartel case in America. Importantly despite a softer economy in the second half they've maintained aircraft loads very well at close to all time record level's and grown the airline strongly while doing so. The SP reaction given the facts of what's been achieved this last financial year looks like a pretty big over-reaction to me.

Of course the big question is how competition affects profitability in FY17 and beyond. Clearly the market is taking a dim view of this but I remain of the view that the overall size of the pie, (inbound and outbound travel is growing strongly) and the cheaper cost of travel with lower oil prices and more efficient planes provides a broadly supportive environment to fill the extra capacity announced to date by both AIR and other airlines coming here. I'm not expecting a bloodbath effect on profitability for FY17 from the extra competition and the company isn't either.

I think effectivly trading cum a very strong fully imputed final and special dividend the shares are a good hold at the current price.

P.S. Another achievement for FY16 was getting agreement regarding the repayment of the unsecured shareholder loan they had to advance VAH in March 2016, $A131m. By supporting the forthcoming cash issue, which admittedly will involve a $21.3m investment in VAH in regard to their remaining 2.5% stake, (I assume they still have the 2.5% stake but its anyone's guess as the SP of VAH has come in for a savage correction lately so maybe AIR have been selling part of that residual stake on market ?), they have put in place the process whereby they will be repaid that unsecured loan, so a net $A109.7m will be forthcoming once the VAH 1:1 cash issue is settled. I would venture to speculate that if they hadn't of supported VAH with that unsecured loan in March their chances of achieving a reasonable outcome in respect of the sale of their shares in VAH would have been materially compromised. Good solid work all round in my opinion. Check out the SP's of Delta, American airlines and QAN, AIR not the only one to cop a real beating in recent months !

AIR Directors / management could do better (hence my 7/10 score), by:-
1. Reviewing their restricted persons share trading policy in a manner I suggested earlier in this thread
2. Allowing all interested shareholders to attend future investor days so its actually an investor day not an institutional and analyst briefing day.
3. Considering a shareholder travel privilege card in much the same light as Comvita who give 20% discount on products through selected retail stores. It is well known that directors, management and staff all enjoy considerable travel perks even after they have left the employ of AIR, why not shareholders who are after all the owners of the company ? (This is an issue I will raise at the next annual meeting).

stoploss
04-07-2016, 01:49 PM
RE POINT 3 ,
yes please Roger , agitate on my behalf , need some proxies ???
Cheers

S/L

Kiwi
04-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Stir them up for me as well please.
We should have been getting a better deal on flights as shareholders long ago.

Gizzajob I can do that
04-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Every man and his dog would run out and buy a 100 shares to get a 20% discount, not good for my divys

macduffy
04-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Good luck with that, guys. But aren't shareholder perks considered a bit old hat these days?

(Remembering, fondly, the goodies handed out at BIL AGM's. Still have some nice INL wine glasses, umbrella from another year hasn't lasted the distance!).

Beagle
04-07-2016, 02:29 PM
I think from a practical perspective it would work okay if there was a meaningful shareholding. What's meaningful ? I'd suggest at the risk of upsetting smaller shareholders that a stake of 10,000 shares or more would limit the freeloaders owning for no other reason that getting the discount. In terms of it being old hat, I'm not so sure about that.

Balance
04-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Talked to a dealer at one of the broking houses over lunch - he said that there was a lot of tax loss selling from Australia leading to 30 June this year.

He himself now expects the sp to recover as the tax selling is now out of the way and as several posters have pointed out, Air NZ trades at an undemanding multiple (whatever the heck that means), provides an excellent dividend yield at the current level with the potential for a special dividend - few stocks around like that.

sb9
04-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Talked to a dealer at one of the broking houses over lunch - he said that there was a lot of tax loss selling from Australia leading to 30 June this year.

He himself now expects the sp to recover as the tax selling is now out of the way and as several posters have pointed out, Air NZ trades at an undemanding multiple (whatever the heck that means), provides an excellent dividend yield at the current level with the potential for a special dividend - few stocks around like that.

Thanks for that input Balance. It looks as though the current price level has found good support by the looks, but who knows it might all change pretty quickly. One thing sure though yield looks pretty attractive at current price level!!!

blockhead
04-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Regarding a discount for shareholders, AIR is different to the "olden days" type discount offering type business'es, I think the chance to get your "discount" is on a first in first served when the low prices are on offer from time to time via whatever scheme AIR has going at the time. We fly to BNE quiet often and get emailed anytime flights drop below $200, I know that is available to Tom, Dick n Co but that's the way it is nowadays.

As shareholders I think we like the idea of AIR filling any empty seats !

However, should such a scheme be available I would be more than happy !

Beagle
04-07-2016, 04:26 PM

Cheers mate. Tax loss selling makes sense for some Australians up to 30 June that's for sure.

ziggy415
04-07-2016, 05:33 PM

i seem to remember a few pregnant mums used to get a scary welcome party outside the supermarket with someone handing out flyers espousing the benefits of a certain milk brand...lol....must have worked tho...the sp has gone up....:p

Balance
04-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Cheers mate. Tax loss selling makes sense for some Australians up to 30 June that's for sure.

First time in the last few weeks where the sp did not get sold down on the close. Could be sign the tax selling is indeed over.

brend
04-07-2016, 08:52 PM
here you go lads.

https://airnz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1930/~/does-air-new-zealand-offer-shareholders-any-benefits-or-discounts%3F

Beagle
05-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Thanks Brend. I disagree with them...sigh...again. You back on board as a shareholder yet mate ?

brend
05-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks Brend. I disagree with them...sigh...again. You back on board as a shareholder yet mate ?

yeah mate, have been for some time..only a minimum holding though.

Joshwnz
05-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't there would be issues with the deemed dividend rules if you are giving benefits to shareholders?

brend
05-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Wouldn't there would be issues with the deemed dividend rules if you are giving benefits to shareholders?

on the face of it you would say yes as its a transfer of value.

AIR would probably get a product ruling from IRD

dobby41
05-07-2016, 11:14 AM
What would you give?
Some airpoints?
A free flight.
I don't currently hold but if the incentive was right I would buy JUST ENOUGH shares to get a good deal.
A bit different from a couple of bits of chicken from KFC.

mikeybycrikey
05-07-2016, 11:28 AM
I was a (much more naive) holder of AIR way back in the 90's and they used to give some sort of discounts to shareholders then. I can't remember what form they took (does anyone else remember?).

I can't say that I ever took advantage of the discounts back then and consquently feel that most shareholder benefits from AIR are going to be unevenly distributed and benefiting only a small number of holders: hence not worthwhile for the company or for me.

The only possible benefit that I might appreciate would be airpoints or maybe airpoints status, but at that point why not just pay cash.

Beagle
05-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Possibly the IRD's rules regarding deemed dividends are an issue. Just pay out all the 25 cps per AIR share net proceeds from the sale of VAH as a fully imputed special divvy, plus 15 cps final divvy, hold the AIR annual meeting at the airport hanger, a good tour of their facilities in Auckland, nice food and nibbles and perhaps a pat or two of the airport beagle dogs then a flight right around the country on one of their new dreamliners like they did for the Koru care kids with full meal service....now wasn't that a nice little flight of fancy on a cold winters day :)

Balance
05-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Possibly the IRD's rules regarding deemed dividends are an issue. Just pay out all the 25 cps per AIR share net proceeds from the sale of VAH as a fully imputed special divvy, plus 15 cps final divvy, hold the AIR annual meeting at the airport hanger, a good tour of their facilities in Auckland, nice food and nibbles and perhaps a pat or two of the airport beagle dogs then a flight right around the country on one of their new dreamliners like they did for the Koru care kids with full meal service....now wasn't that a nice little flight of fancy on a cold winters day :)

They may yet listen to you and do a draw of a few planeloads of Dreamliners to Ozzie?

skid
05-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Ya all know I'm still annoyed at management regarding share sales just before the so called investor day but putting that aside you'd have to say on the face of it AIR's management team have done a good solid job this last year.
Firstly they're still on track to deliver an all time record profit, only some of which can be attributed to low fuel prices because clearly yields have been affected as other airlines have discounted.
Secondly they've cleaned up some ugly messes brought about by previous management / directors. Most importantly they've ostensibly extricated themselves from a woefully underperforming Virgin and perhaps almost as importantly have made the move towards eliminating a legal risk that has it roots over ten years ago with the cargo cartel case in America. Importantly despite a softer economy in the second half they've maintained aircraft loads very well at close to all time record level's and grown the airline strongly while doing so. The SP reaction given the facts of what's been achieved this last financial year looks like a pretty big over-reaction to me.

Of course the big question is how competition affects profitability in FY17 and beyond. Clearly the market is taking a dim view of this but I remain of the view that the overall size of the pie, (inbound and outbound travel is growing strongly) and the cheaper cost of travel with lower oil prices and more efficient planes provides a broadly supportive environment to fill the extra capacity announced to date by both AIR and other airlines coming here. I'm not expecting a bloodbath effect on profitability for FY17 from the extra competition and the company isn't either.

I think effectivly trading cum a very strong fully imputed final and special dividend the shares are a good hold at the current price.

P.S. Another achievement for FY16 was getting agreement regarding the repayment of the unsecured shareholder loan they had to advance VAH in March 2016, $A131m. By supporting the forthcoming cash issue, which admittedly will involve a $21.3m investment in VAH in regard to their remaining 2.5% stake, (I assume they still have the 2.5% stake but its anyone's guess as the SP of VAH has come in for a savage correction lately so maybe AIR have been selling part of that residual stake on market ?), they have put in place the process whereby they will be repaid that unsecured loan, so a net $A109.7m will be forthcoming once the VAH 1:1 cash issue is settled. I would venture to speculate that if they hadn't of supported VAH with that unsecured loan in March their chances of achieving a reasonable outcome in respect of the sale of their shares in VAH would have been materially compromised. Good solid work all round in my opinion. Check out the SP's of Delta, American airlines and QAN, AIR not the only one to cop a real beating in recent months !

AIR Directors / management could do better (hence my 7/10 score), by:-
1. Reviewing their restricted persons share trading policy in a manner I suggested earlier in this thread
2. Allowing all interested shareholders to attend future investor days so its actually an investor day not an institutional and analyst briefing day.
3. Considering a shareholder travel privilege card in much the same light as Comvita who give 20% discount on products through selected retail stores. It is well known that directors, management and staff all enjoy considerable travel perks even after they have left the employ of AIR, why not shareholders who are after all the owners of the company ? (This is an issue I will raise at the next annual meeting).

I think I mentioned before how cool that would be(discount for SHs)--but alas..I seriously dont think it will happen--that kind oif thinking is for customers--(to increase sales)--SHs get their payback if the airline does well.
I think most would agree things are very different now than a year ago--there is now lots of increased competition --but the bigger thing that stands out is management(who were bullet proof and could do no wrong,have made a series of decisions that have gone to the opposite end of the spectrum(a temporary blip?)
I think their business strategy needs to be looked at--If you are generally going to charge higher prices,you really need to back it up with something really good (and I dont think they have done that compared to other premium airlines)--what makes them the better choice?
I have just flown MAL to KL-BKK---I could choose my own seats well ahead of time(its like getting premium economy) they continually had snacks and drinks along aside from the meals.--I would be interested to hear how the AIR fight AKK-Viet Nam was to compare--I find that ''having to choose a fare for dep and return (AIR) a real pain (rather than a simple RT price) -has that feel that they are trying to squeeze extra dollars out of you--Just my opinion--so any one who has taken that fight AK-HCM--it would be good to have feedback.
Of course its been beaten to death --but spitting the dummy with Virgin 9giving up decision making power)was disastrous in a business sense---If it was arrogance,lets hope he learned his lesson.
Its not the sweet ride it was before (for most airlines) so company will have to be more on their game--We have opened the door to one of Chinas airlines(another price of spitting the dummy)
On the bright side tourism is still alive and well--but this recent scare shows that this could change.
Will the public put up with cramming the maximum amount of seats in a plane and then turning around and harping about how flash and premium your company is--after all,comfort is a cornerstone of any flight experience.
Now its time for some shrewd and good planning

Raz
05-07-2016, 01:56 PM

I get its winter and you want a holiday:-) You can get cheap airfares with AIR you just have to have total flexibility with the rest of your life. IMHO aiming for that life style will be quicker than waiting on AIR to give anyone bar management any financial breaks:-)

sb9
05-07-2016, 02:24 PM
First time in the last few weeks where the sp did not get sold down on the close. Could be sign the tax selling is indeed over.

Looks like strong bids coming through at current price level, hopefully the worst is over for now. Already 1mln+ shares traded through....

Beagle
05-07-2016, 02:46 PM
They may yet listen to you and do a draw of a few planeloads of Dreamliners to Ozzie?

Probably best if I do what Raz says rather than holding my breath. Might even be able to afford it if the shares stop going down and they pay a decent special divvy....we live in hope.

workingdad
05-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Looks like strong bids coming through at current price level, hopefully the worst is over for now. Already 1mln+ shares traded through....

My guess is there could be a few profit takers that came in at 2.025 range. I managed 10,000 shares at 2.035 and had a buy in for another 7000 at 2.065 which at the end of that day touched down to 2.07 and I missed out sadly.

Looking forward to a special divvy but worried if it doesn't happen a lot of holders might dump AIR and I reckon I would be one of them....

see weed
05-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Hey Roger, Fighting for the good cause here for you. Got another 17,000 in last 2 days and am now in the green by $1,449:t_up:.Up Up An Away In........

Beagle
05-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Hey Roger, Fighting for the good cause here for you. Got another 17,000 in last 2 days and am now in the green by $1,449:t_up:.Up Up An Away In........

Good on ya mate.

vin
05-07-2016, 08:02 PM
And here's me stressing about my pathetic sum! hahaha

Balance
05-07-2016, 09:32 PM

Interesting second day now when the stock closed higher with buyers paying up, rather than selling down. Looks like the tax selling scenario was correct.

Xerof
05-07-2016, 10:25 PM
.......it's looking increasingly like a falling wedge to me.

Falling wedges are bullish patterns. I am quite confident we are breaking out into a decent rally. As Balance has mentioned the price action supports the proposition that renewed buying interest is now apparent.

I've possibly now put the mockers on it lol

stoploss
06-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Just had a fund manager on CNBC talking about US airlines . He Sees them as " crazy cheap "
He noted the whole industry is different to the way it was 30 years ago ....not as risky .

Beagle
06-07-2016, 09:08 AM
Interesting second day now when the stock closed higher with buyers paying up, rather than selling down. Looks like the tax selling scenario was correct.

Yes its starting to look that way but its early days. Interestingly AIR started the month of June at what looks like $2.22 from the chart I brought up this morning and hit a low of $2.02 at one point very late in June, so a drop of just on 10% despite AIR extricating itself from Virgin at what many consider to be a good price in the circumstances.

Speaking of cyclical's and crazy cheap, I remember years back when NZR got down to a PE of only 4 because every man and his mutt thought the world was ending in regard to refining margins...a lot of money was made from that stock in the years that followed and I can't help wondering if history won't repeat for AIR seeing as so many people think their margins are going to the dogs.

Master98
06-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Just had a fund manager on CNBC talking about US airlines . He Sees them as " crazy cheap "
He noted the whole industry is different to the way it was 30 years ago ....not as risky .

just attached my post#7198 here:
American Airlines CEO claims the industry has permanently solved its biggest problem

American, Delta, and United have all recently reported record profits after decades of struggle.Last year, American Airlines saw its profits (http://www.businessinsider.com/american-airlines-earnings-2016-1) surge 50% to $6.3 billion.
According to Skift's Brian Sumers (https://skift.com/2016/06/14/american-airlines-ceo-says-industry-may-never-again-lose-money/), one major airline CEO believes the industry has solved its profitability problem for good.
"My personal view is that you won’t see losses in the industry at all," American Airlines CEO Doug Parker said at the airline's annual meeting last week. "We have gotten to the point where we like other businesses will have good years and bad years, but the bad years will not be cataclysmic. They will just be less good than the good years."
Although revenue growth across the board slowed down in the first quarter of the year, the airline industry is still going strong.
Even though Parker, as noted by Sumers, has long been an optimist in the strength of the airline business, his optimism is not unwarranted.
The airline industry has traditionally been a very volatile business with thin margins and high capital requirements. That's means the room for error is very narrow. As a result, in decades past, airlines have often teetered near bankruptcy.
Over the past few years, there's been a fundamental change in the way major US airlines are run. After the latest round of bankruptcies and consolidation that saw American merge with US Airways, Delta with Northwest, and United with Continental, it seems airline management has become more focused and efficient.
Airlines have been careful to exercises discipline in expanding capacity and routes. They have also keyed in on the areas that deserve the most investment and what customers can do without.
Although cheap crude prices over the past 24 months have certainly boosted airlines' financial performance, it would be unfair to attribute it solely to lower fuel expenditures.
Last month at Delta's media day, CEO Ed Bastian noted that current oil prices are nearly identical to that in 2005. That year, both Delta and future merger partner Northwest filed for bankruptcy. In 2015, Delta reported $4.5 billion profits (http://www.businessinsider.com/delta-shares-jump-after-earnings-report-2016-1) while returning $1.5 billion in profit-sharing (http://www.businessinsider.com/delta-air-lines-is-giving-its-employees-a-15-billion-reward-2016-2) to employees.

Beagle
06-07-2016, 09:57 AM

No argument from me.

Interestingly off 4traders today based on consensus analyst forecast

Delta FY17 PE 5.77 and projected price to NTA 1.51
American Airlines FY17 PE 5.35 and price to NTA 2.24

Compared to downunder carriers
Qantas FY17 PE 4.64 Projected price to NTA 1.22
Air N.Z. FY17 PE 4.07 Projected Price to NTA 0.93

That's before we start talking about who has the most conservative gearing or who has the best dividend yield by a country mile.

sb9
06-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Another day finished with green arrow...looks good from here, I think.

Raz
06-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Another day finished with green arrow...looks good from here, I think.

Has to get up ow where are we ex-divi.

stoploss
06-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Glad this episode is over ....

http://www.theage.com.au/business/aviation/virgin-australia-to-book-big-annual-net-loss-20160706-gpzmea.html

Jaa
07-07-2016, 01:05 AM
London & Europe

Los Angeles

San Francisco

China

Hong Kong

Gold Coast & SE Asia
- Air Asia X (Mar 16)

Cairns & Manila

NZ Domestic

How much is too much?

China
- Hainan Airlines A330 to Shenzhen (Nov 16)

workingdad
07-07-2016, 06:55 AM

http://www.theage.com.au/business/aviation/virgin-australia-to-book-big-annual-net-loss-20160706-gpzmea.html

Wonder how the AIR loan to them being repaid will reflect on the books - guessing it will be in 2017 financials but yes, pretty happy they got out of that one and now the VAH share price is 20-21c with potential to slide more this month.

NZ version of the same...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11669834

Beagle
07-07-2016, 09:35 AM

The sale of AIR's stake just looks better and better. What a flea bitten mongrel ! I see little if any value in VAH and I think their business model is systemically flawed. I suspect most of the airline investor's are simply there for the alliance benefits. I cannot see a single reason for Joe public to invest in VAH at any price. Its great that AIR's shareholder loan is being repaid out of the cash issue proceeds. Hope they sell the rest of their minor stake in Ansett MK2 soon.

Balance
07-07-2016, 09:58 AM
The sale of AIR's stake just looks better and better. What a flea bitten mongrel ! I see little if any value in VAH and I think their business model is systemically flawed. I suspect most of the airline investor's are simply there for the alliance benefits. I cannot see a single reason for Joe public to invest in VAH at any price. Its great that AIR's shareholder loan is being repaid out of the cash issue proceeds. Hope they sell the rest of their minor stake in Ansett MK2 soon.

Air NZ has got out of Virgin what its strategic value is - an alliance partner to counter Jetstar, Qantas etc etc. Now Virgin needs Air NZ.

Remember how Branson ripped up the fake A$250m check offered by Air NZ/SIA in 2001 for Virgin? Karma.

Beagle
07-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Air NZ has got out of Virgin what its strategic value is - an alliance partner to counter Jetstar, Qantas etc etc. Now Virgin needs Air NZ.

Remember how Branson ripped up the fake A$250m check offered by Air NZ/SIA in 2001 for Virgin? Karma.

No I don't mate, please by all means humour me, I'd like to review that, got a link ?

Raz
07-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Given the info. in post 7353, you may have a point, although they may get cut out of the China market/share somewhat from what is developing at VAH. I thought the strategic alliance with VAH is up for review...

Balance
07-07-2016, 10:15 AM
No I don't mate, please by all means humour me, I'd like to review that, got a link ?

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2011/09/09/extracts-from-the-ansett-files-before-the-towers-fell/

Have a chuckle - those were the dark days for our National Airline and Aunty Helen came to the rescue. A lot of money was lost and made. The biggest losses were mostly made by SIA and BIL, and the biggest winners were the government and those brave enough to buy the shares when they got down to 12 cents!

Beagle
07-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Given the info. in post 7353, you may have a point, although they may get cut out of the China market/share somewhat from what is developing at VAH. I thought the strategic alliance with VAH is up for review... I think it was, not sure where its at right now. VAH better be careful otherwise they'll be dog tucker...they need a good code share alliance with AIR far more than AIR need them.

Beagle
07-07-2016, 10:58 AM
https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2011/09/09/extracts-from-the-ansett-files-before-the-towers-fell/

Have a chuckle - those were the dark days for our National Airline and Aunty Helen came to the rescue. A lot of money was lost and made. The biggest losses were mostly made by SIA and BIL, and the biggest winners were the government and those brave enough to buy the shares when they got down to 12 cents!

Thanks mate.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11670266

Surely I am not the only one that finds it interesting that a judge knows more about landing safety than the Airline Pilots association representing its 2,000+ members.

Those passengers arriving on long haul flights into a 50 knot storm in Wellington can really rest easy during the landing process can't they :eek2: Thankfully I will never be one of long haul passengers, (landing on a domestic flight into a storm of such magnitude is enough to frighten the life out of me).

Beagle
07-07-2016, 01:22 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/businessvideos/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503215&gal_cid=1503215&gallery_id=162420

macduffy
07-07-2016, 01:41 PM
I'm waiting to see their green (electric) aircraft!

;)

Biscuit
07-07-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm waiting to see their green (electric) aircraft!

;)

Recently purchased return flights to Paris - 3 tonnes of carbon dioxide per person. I used to fly gliders as a hobby and, as an alternative to the tow plane, we had a big winch that would get you aloft. Now that's what AIR need if they really want to go green - a whooping great electric winch = zero carbon take-off.

Xerof
07-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Director buying a few today....goodo

Onion
07-07-2016, 08:41 PM
3 tonnes of carbon dioxide per person

The big jets sure use a lot of fuel, but...

I read somewhere that the large jets use about the same amount of fuel per km (and produce the equivalent C02) as if the passengers were all riding 50cc scooters. Luckily they move faster than 50km/h.

minimoke
08-07-2016, 07:12 AM

Ah the good old days. As i recall picked mine up at 14 cents. Had my steel gloves on as the knife was falling. But aunti Helen saw me right. Very right indeed.

janner
08-07-2016, 07:56 AM
Ah the good old days. As i recall picked mine up at 14 cents. Had my steel gloves on as the knife was falling. But aunti Helen saw me right. Very right indeed.

Ole !!..

The market needs such Toreadors as you..

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=toreador%27s+song&view=detail&mid=A88300AED667F8A6E091A88300AED667F8A6E091&FORM=VIRE

sb9
08-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Director buying a few today....goodo

Yeah saw that, also noticed the av price paid is higher than market price for the day.

Raz
08-07-2016, 08:13 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion-analysis/81859168/air-nz-wellingtons-runway-is-not-the-problem-lack-of-longhaul-passengers-is

Balance
08-07-2016, 08:20 AM
I think it was, not sure where its at right now. VAH better be careful otherwise they'll be dog tucker...they need a good code share alliance with AIR far more than AIR need them.

Yes indeed - Qantas is not the basket case it was in 2012 and 2014. Now it is VAH which is flirting with being a basket case.

VAH desperately needs an airline like Air NZ to feed transtasman passengers into their Oz domestic routes or get squeezed out even further by the twin pincers of Qantas and Jetstar there.

Air NZ has played the game well this time round.

Branson is remarkably quiet these days now that his hope for a full takeover offer, triggered by Air NZ exit, is gone.

The Branson era is well and truly over for Virgin.

Beagle
08-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Yes indeed - Qantas is not the basket case it was in 2012 and 2014. Now it is VAH which is flirting with being a basket case.

VAH desperately needs an airline like Air NZ to feed transtasman passengers into their Oz domestic routes or get squeezed out even further by the twin pincers of Qantas and Jetstar there.

Air NZ has played the game well this time round.

Branson is remarkably quiet these days now that his hope for a full takeover offer, triggered by Air NZ exit, is gone.

The Branson era is well and truly over for Virgin.

Agree 100%. Virgin's gearing is an ongoing concern for anyone left who cares. With circa half their capital raise going in restructuring costs I estimate they'll be close to a 3:1 debt equity ratio after raising just over $1b and that for an airline which has predominantly leased aircraft and currently struggling to break even.

Interesting comparison to AIR which I estimate is currently running around 1:1 debt equity, most of their planes are owned and they're currently highly profitable. Branson owns a pup.

I hope AIR dump their remaining shares as soon as they've signed a renewed code share agreement.

Baa_Baa
08-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Well todays volume was well above recent times and busted up through the downward volume trend line today from May highs over 5m. That said, closing up a meagre .005 is hardly inspiring, but in context with this and last week, there's certainly a new short up term trend forming from the 2.02 lows. Bear in mind the toppy indicators, RSI turning down at neutral, SlowSTO topping, Money Flow dipping down. Maybe the action today and the close is against the actual trend. I don't see the falling wedge pattern that others see, because of the double bottom at 2.02, it is a less bullish 'descending flag' formation imho which relies on 2.02 support holding. Nevertheless, buyer support has certainly emerged these past couple of weeks and I'm sure holders will be hoping for a re-test of the overhead resistance 2.28, which also happens to now be above the 50EMA at 2.24, a moving average that punters like. A breakdown below 2.02 seems presently unlikely but would be a stern warning to get out. It stands to reason that buyer interest may be piqued by the pending dividend, though consequently the SP will also be affected downwards by the payout, when it happens. Lots of moving parts on AIR, the next week or two will be very interesting.

workingdad
08-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Well todays volume was well above recent times and busted up through the downward volume trend line today from May highs over 5m. That said, closing up a meagre .005 is hardly inspiring, but in context with this and last week, there's certainly a new short up term trend forming from the 2.02 lows. Bear in mind the toppy indicators, RSI turning down at neutral, SlowSTO topping, Money Flow dipping down. Maybe the action today and the close is against the actual trend. I don't see the falling wedge pattern that others see, because of the double bottom at 2.02, it is a less bullish 'descending flag' formation imho which relies on 2.02 support holding. Nevertheless, buyer support has certainly emerged these past couple of weeks and I'm sure holders will be hoping for a re-test of the overhead resistance 2.28, which also happens to now be above the 50EMA at 2.24, a moving average that punters like. A breakdown below 2.02 seems presently unlikely but would be a stern warning to get out. It stands to reason that buyer interest may be piqued by the pending dividend, though consequently the SP will also be affected downwards by the payout, when it happens. Lots of moving parts on AIR, the next week or two will be very interesting.

Thanks baa baa. It's a shame brexit got in the way as I thought AIR was showing some strength up to the same range as the last couple of days but was pleased to see even with all that was going on it held that support at 2.02.

Like you say I agree there's many coming in looking at the divy in the works and potential special which would give the SP a good boost.

Beagle
11-07-2016, 10:20 AM
TA - Stock appears to have built something of a meaningful resistance at $2.02.
FA - Trades on extremely compelling fundamental's relative to its peer group.
Sentiment - Appears a lot of the negative emotion caused by recent increases in competition has been washed out of the system.
Historically - The period between end of June and annual meeting has generally been a good period for the SP boosted by the final dividend being paid within this timeframe.
Chances of a Special Divvy - Extremely high, (as certain a thing as I have ever seen in the market) and if paid will amount to at least 10 cps fully imputed in my opinion.
Final Dividend pending - At least another 10 cps fully imputed.
Very strong day for the Airlines in America on Friday.

I think the correction in recent months has been overdone. Topped up to my maximum self imposed 10% portfolio allocation this morning.

sb9
11-07-2016, 10:52 AM
TA - Stock appears to have built something of a meaningful resistance at $2.02.
FA - Trades on extremely compelling fundamental's relative to its peer group.
Sentiment - Appears a lot of the negative emotion caused by recent increases in competition has been washed out of the system.
Historically - The period between end of June and annual meeting has generally been a good period for the SP boosted by the final dividend being paid within this timeframe.
Chances of a Special Divvy - Extremely high, (as certain a thing as I have ever seen in the market) and if paid will amount to at least 10 cps fully imputed in my opinion.
Final Dividend pending - At least another 10 cps fully imputed.
Very strong day for the Airlines in America on Friday.

I think the correction in recent months has been overdone. Topped up to my maximum self imposed 10% portfolio allocation this morning.

Well done Roger on your 5,000th post on here and that too on your favourite AIR...wishing you well for 10,000th post!!!

Joshuatree
11-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Yes but remember its quality and not quantity, esp at the buffet:drool:

Mr. Creosote - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aczPDGC3f8U)

see weed
11-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Yes but remember its quality and not quantity, esp at the buffet:drool:

Mr. Creosote - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aczPDGC3f8U)
Love it:t_up:. That made my afternoon. Seen it many times, but still makes me laugh my head off. Air could do something similar on a fun flight.

kura
11-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Love it:t_up:. That made my afternoon. Seen it many times, but still makes me laugh my head off. Air could do something similar on a fun flight.
Could also do a "Faulty Towers" type show while serving food.

Beagle
12-07-2016, 08:39 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/81195647/air-new-zealand-shafted-elderly-pilots-over-airbus-training

Interesting article on older pilots failing retraining. My opinion: If pilots over 65 are not allowed to fly international routes why is it safe for them to fly domestic and trans Tasman routes ?

These guys have been very well paid and should have enough salted away to buy their own little Cessna aircraft and keep flying at a club level at their local aerodrome if they wish.

Give the young people climbing up the aviation ladder a chance to make the big bucks I reckon.

blockhead
12-07-2016, 08:55 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/81195647/air-new-zealand-shafted-elderly-pilots-over-airbus-training

Interesting article on older pilots failing retraining. My opinion: If pilots over 65 are not allowed to fly international routes why is it safe for them to fly domestic and trans Tasman routes ?

These guys have been very well paid and should have enough salted away to buy their own little Cessna aircraft and keep flying at a club level at their local aerodrome if they wish.

Give the young people climbing up the aviation ladder a chance to make the big bucks I reckon.

Can't agree with you Rog, there is a gate into a dairy farm just North of the Rangitata bridge where 66 year old Blocky has been driving a large truck and trailer through for years, gate was still in good condition until "young person climbing up the trucking ladder" had his turn recently, gate is looking rather bruised just now ! Sometimes the ol fellas are the safest bet !

winner69
12-07-2016, 08:56 AM

Wow .........

RTFQ
12-07-2016, 08:56 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/10/oil-near-2-month-low-despite-saudi-comment-on-market-balance.html

This article is suggesting oil is headed for $38/barrel. Down 2% overnight.

winner69
12-07-2016, 08:57 AM
AIR will push into the 220s today

Beagle
12-07-2016, 09:05 AM
Can't agree with you Rog, there is a gate into a dairy farm just North of the Rangitata bridge wher 66 year old Blocky has been driving a large truck and trailer through for years, gate was still in good condition until "young person climbing up the trucking ladder" had his turn recently, gate is looking rather bruised just now ! Sometimes the ol fellas are the safest bet !

Acknowledge that there will be differing opinions on this. Surely passenger safety is the most paramount consideration. Young people coming up through aviation school need many, many thousands of hours commercial flying on turbo-prop aircraft and then as first officer on an A320 before they're finally given command on an A320. The old cliché "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" for some strange reason springs readily to mind here.

workingdad
12-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Congrats on 5000 posts Roger, quite the accomplishment.

Lower oil price predictions might explain why the XAL index has been performing well recently.

Winner, if 2.20 happens today I will be happily surprised haha. At least its stabilised and even with some big selling over the last couple of days holding up. Might have monthly stats out this week which will round off a good year of RPKs and loading factors.

sb9
12-07-2016, 10:05 AM
AIR will push into the 220s today

Hope you're right there winner, however at the moment its looks like bit of massaging happening between big boys at around that 215-216 range.

Raz
12-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Acknowledge that there will be differing opinions on this. Surely passenger safety is the most paramount consideration. Young people coming up through aviation school need many, many thousands of hours commercial flying on turbo-prop aircraft and then as first officer on an A320 before they're finally given command on an A320. The old cliché "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" for some strange reason springs readily to mind here.

Certainly are, naturally they are also on lower pay rates so I guess that would not be a motivation for AIR :-)

Whats is on my mind today is when would be likely to get wind of the dividend and quantum...thoughts please.

mikeybycrikey
12-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Certainly are, naturally they are also on lower pay rates so I guess that would not be a motivation for AIR :-)

Whats is on my mind today is when would be likely to get wind of the dividend and quantum...thoughts please.

Financial Calendar on the Air NZ web site (http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/investor-centre-financial-calendar) says annual results will be released on 26 August, so probably about then.

Hmmm, thought it was going to be a little sooner than that.

Jay
12-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Read on the Travel section of NZ Herald today that on Air Asia Seat only option means just that! No tea/coffee or even water - pay to use the toilet as well I wonder maybe next, hang on, won't need it, can't drink anything :-)

Not exactly competition, but price is a factor
Speaking of which, wish I had bought some AIR at the 2.02's or there abouts - seems to be holding around 2.15's at present as has been mentioned

Beagle
12-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Anyone thinking of flying them or any of the other discount airlines should head over to www.seatguru.com and make sure they fit inside the tiny space envelope they expect you to shoehorn your way into.

Marilyn Munroe
12-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Regarding old v young pilots.

A feature of recent airlane fatalities like Air France and Air Asia Indonesia is a lack of flying ability in modern pilots when the super duper, computer contolled, fly by wire flight systems say to the pilot "I havent a clue whats is going on. I am giving up and handing control over to you"

Inexperienced pilots are then making bad decisions and probaly hoping for a big red reset button on the control panel like the in the virtual reality video games they were playing as they grew up.

A pilot who had wind in his face experience in a bug smasher aircraft would instinctively know how to fly by the seat of his pants.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

Raz
12-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Read on the Travel section of NZ Herald today that on Air Asia Seat only option means just that! No tea/coffee or even water - pay to use the toilet as well I wonder maybe next, hang on, won't need it, can't drink anything :-)

Not exactly competition, but price is a factor
Speaking of which, wish I had bought some AIR at the 2.02's or there abouts - seems to be holding around 2.15's at present as has been mentioned

Got in again at 2.05 although if it stalls here better to take the gain rather than consider selling ex-dividend down the track... Given the volume of money coming in for yield currently in our market one wonders why not AIR.

Beagle
12-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Regarding old v young pilots.

A feature of recent airlane fatalities like Air France and Air Asia Indonesia is a lack of flying ability in modern pilots when the super duper, computer contolled, fly by wire flight systems say to the pilot "I havent a clue whats is going on. I am giving up and handing control over to you"

Inexperienced pilots are then making bad decisions and probaly hoping for a big red reset button on the control panel like the in the virtual reality video games they were playing as they grew up.

A pilot who had wind in his face experience in a bug smasher aircraft would instinctively know how to fly by the seat of his pants.

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

This I agree is an issue with some younger pilots trained by other airlines. Airlines who can often base their training predominantly on simulators..one presumes experience before that was on playstation games which generated the initial interest in flying. Thankfully in N.Z. we still have a culture of training pilots through established flying schools on real aircraft. http://www.aviationinstitute.co.nz/ai/school-of-flight/nz-diploma-in-aviation-airline-preparation/ http://www.southernwings.co.nz/

kuotadriver
12-07-2016, 08:53 PM

The over 65's can't operate international flights as the FAA mandated age limit for US airspace is 65.

Despite this, the majority of these pilots remain highly competent, and those who choose to, convert to the 320 in the prescribed amount of time.

Why should they retire if they still meet the standard and choose to continue flying?

emveha
12-07-2016, 09:24 PM

You can't always fly an airliner by the seat of your pants, certain aspects of the flight envelope (e.g. high speed stall) are counter-intuitive if you've flown only little planes. This being said, it is true that there have been too many recent cases of crashes caused by pilots showing poor practical understanding of their plane's situation.

Basic principle of flight (for all of us armchair pilots): if you push on the stick, houses get bigger. If you pull on the stick, houses get smaller. But if you pull on the stick too much, houses get bigger again.

workingdad
13-07-2016, 09:12 AM
XAL index up 4.5% overnight. I have been of the opinion it is more exposed to fuel prices than AIR with us being able to hedge, now the consensus on oil prices outlook is much more subdued one would think this could benefit AIR. There does seem to be over the long term average correlation between AIR and the XAL.

Maybe we are getting closer to some decent gains for an undervalued company at present.

winner69
13-07-2016, 09:29 AM
XAL index up 4.5% overnight. I have been of the opinion it is more exposed to fuel prices than AIR with us being able to hedge, now the consensus on oil prices outlook is much more subdued one would think this could benefit AIR. There does seem to be over the long term average correlation between AIR and the XAL.

Maybe we are getting closer to some decent gains for an undervalued company at present.

A 4.5% rise in AIR will take it over 220 ....and close to 230

The global investors happiness must help AIR ...mustn't it?

Beagle
13-07-2016, 09:33 AM
The over 65's can't operate international flights as the FAA mandated age limit for US airspace is 65.

Despite this, the majority of these pilots remain highly competent, and those who choose to, convert to the 320 in the prescribed amount of time.

Why should they retire if they still meet the standard and choose to continue flying?

I have no problem with them flying if they can retrain on an A320. If they fail the required retraining its time to retire...

Yep, some BIG gains overnight in the XAL index. The markets are at record level's and the world is NOT ending anytime soon. I would hope AIR's SP would respond soon especially as QAN had a good day yesterday.

workingdad
13-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Wouldn't that be nice, I think sentiment still weighs AIR down but Brexit aside, AIR has been ready for a bit of a comeback. The 50MA is 2.185 so if it gets over that in the next day or two it is another reasonable sign. I'm no expert on charts and have been trying to learn more about them but the more experienced like Baa Baa and Hoop still have some reservations but at least not predicting doom and gloom.

workingdad
13-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Share price and Bollinger bands chart looking good too.

BlackPeter
13-07-2016, 09:49 AM
not so sure ... does this really look like an emerging uptrend to you?

I guess - yes, we (just) managed to get over the MA30 (red line), but volume appears to peter out already and the relative strength (lower blue line) indicates (if anything) more an "overbought" than an "oversold" situation.

Sure - anything can happen (particularly with the markets feeling bullish), but personally I would not bet the farm on AIR moving from here into the stratosphere.

Discl: No (material) interest in AIR - and as usual - DYOR;

workingdad
13-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Not an uptrend but I have wondered how much of an impact Brexit had on the way the chart looks. Some stocks just have a prolonged flattening out period and I don't think AIR will be a spike back up - perhaps more of a gradual rise but the fundamentals are still decent and the TA is certainly less drastic than it has been.

Definitely not betting the farm on it, been bitten a few times by AIR in recent months :scared: but starting to feel more comfortable about it and even a glimmer of optimism :cool:

I have actually been using AIR as a good tool for learning and would have enjoyed this more if overall I wasn't in the red with it, not too far off getting back to even though

stoploss
13-07-2016, 10:22 AM
not so sure ... does this really look like an emerging uptrend to you?

I guess - yes, we (just) managed to get over the MA30 (red line), but volume appears to peter out already and the relative strength (lower blue line) indicates (if anything) more an "overbought" than an "oversold" situation.

Sure - anything can happen (particularly with the markets feeling bullish), but personally I would not bet the farm on AIR moving from here into the stratosphere.

Discl: No (material) interest in AIR - and as usual - DYOR;

It's just getting started ......

BlackPeter
13-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Good question (Impact of Brexit on AIR). I guess in a year or so we will know more ... personally I would however assume that Brits react to their significantly dropped wealth (due to the fall of the GBP) by reducing first their discretionary expenses. Holidays (and travel) are typically a large part of that - i.e. they might be likely to travel less and to travel cheaper. This will no doubt have an impact on remote destinations like NZ, which enjoys so far a rather high percentage of UK visitors.

Don't know, what percentage of the AIR customers are British - but I think that at least the Heathrow route wouldn't be able to survive without their custom. Sure - Chinese people and US Americans might fly instead a bit more often, but increased competition on these routes are IMHO unlikely to help AIR to sustain good margins.

workingdad
13-07-2016, 10:38 AM
and in return NZers traveling to the EU via UK is looking more attractive and a lot cheaper.

I'm not saying its without consequence but don't think it is going to impact as much, worse case scenario AIR reduces the number of flights in line with demand but keeps them full and focus resource on markets with more going on.

With a fleet age coming down and economical fleet at that when oil prices climb AIR is best positioned to squeeze the competition.

In a year anything can happen but short term outlook doesn't warrant such a low share price but that's just my opinion.

Beagle
13-07-2016, 03:08 PM
and in return NZers traveling to the EU via UK is looking more attractive and a lot cheaper.

I'm not saying its without consequence but don't think it is going to impact as much, worse case scenario AIR reduces the number of flights in line with demand but keeps them full and focus resource on markets with more going on.

With a fleet age coming down and economical fleet at that when oil prices climb AIR is best positioned to squeeze the competition.

In a year anything can happen but short term outlook doesn't warrant such a low share price but that's just my opinion.

Good post. Agree 100%. Exchange rate cuts both ways, now very attractive for U.K. trips for Kiwi's.

emveha
13-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Air New Zealand has taken out World's Best Premium Economy Class and World's Best Premium Economy Class Airline Seat at the prestigious Skytrax World Airline Awards held at the Farnborough Air Show overnight.

Baa_Baa
13-07-2016, 07:23 PM
If one was looking for some correlation of AIR to oil price (or not), what Oil index price would you use? TIA

workingdad
13-07-2016, 07:39 PM
If one was looking for some correlation of AIR to oil price (or not), what Oil index price would you use? TIA

Would WTI be the one?

Be interesting to see the result and although I have looked on occasion but never linked them.....

Xerof
13-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Why use WTI when you can use the actual product?

iata.org has plenty of high level info on global/regional jet fuel prices

workingdad
13-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Had to have a look Baa Baa.

5 year chart looks to be a correlation but the last year AIR has been doing its own thing with the drop in april/may.

Thought worth expanding to the XAL as well which seems to correlate more.

5 year

1 year

couta1
13-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Been adding to my holding each day this week, just short of 200k shares at $2.43 average now. Happy to hold for the divvies(They are significant with a big holding) Not much of a TA person but my Gutometer tells me this is a value buy at current prices despite its volatility in comparison to a lot of other stocks on the NZX which I consider are trading at lofty prices. Air is my biggest holding and im happy to run with it rather than wait for optimal points of entry as determined by TA.

winner69
13-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Current average price paid at the refinery for aviation jet fuel in Asia is US$56.2 a barrel - down 14.8% from a year ago and down 7.1% from a month ago

Good eh

Beagle
13-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Been adding to my holding each day this week, just short of 200k shares at $2.43 average now. Happy to hold for the divvies(They are significant with a big holding) Not much of a TA person but my Gutometer tells me this is a value buy at current prices despite its volatility in comparison to a lot of other stocks on the NZX which I consider are trading at lofty prices. Air is my biggest holding and im happy to run with it rather than wait for optimal points of entry as determined by TA.

Hi mate, nice to see you back. Crickey that's what I call a decent sized holding. Might make for a circa $50K divvy if they pay out a total of 25 cps special and final.

Cheap as chips Winner.

Baa_Baa
13-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Why use WTI when you can use the actual product?

iata.org has plenty of high level info on global/regional jet fuel prices

Save me the trouble of research (please), if you know, which refinery('s) does AIR buy their jet fuel from and what is their source, Brent, Sing, Western Texas, other ... ? That will point to the comparative index. TIA.

Baa_Baa
13-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Current average price paid at the refinery for aviation jet fuel in Asia is US$56.2 a barrel - down 14.8% from a year ago and down 7.1% from a month ago

Good eh

Oil indexes falling again, should be good for AIR. Might be showing in the very slow reversion of the SP, worth looking into imo. Getting back to fundamentals after the rout, maybe.

winner69
13-07-2016, 09:14 PM
I see low oil prices as sprinkling fish food into a stream..The big fish get the most benefit, the remainder floats around and attracts more fish that weren't there to begin with...I think AIR is not classed as a big fish.

Airlines V Oil correlation is not good...Recessions kills both Cyclical Airlines and Oil prices which upsets any (false) "logical" conclusions that correlation exists ....If we think this time the Oil price is not a reaction to negative Global economic growth...then perhaps there "could" be a hint of correlation.

The chart below illustrates AIR's relationship with Oil..Its a pity there is no very long term freely available chart data to validate accurately the relationship.
...also...
AIR is testing the psychological $3.00 Resistance
The $3.00 resistance theory (chart) v Practical (Depth)...the depth shows the charted resistance line is quite strong..
The cyclical resistance is not far away...

If AIR is not a true cyclical* (Averaging positive Organic growth within its market environment over decades) then the cyclic resistance could be under threat

*...True Cyclical companies grow strongly during good economic times and shrink strongly during bad economic times...net result over time = no
overall growth (flat line, no trend)

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq306/Hoop_1/AIR%20v%20oil%2011012016.png (http://s458.photobucket.com/user/Hoop_1/media/AIR%20v%20oil%2011012016.png.html)

Just for interests sake

Baa_Baa
13-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Just for interests sake

Interesting thanks, credit to Hoop who has obviously thought of this before now (not surprising). It pretty much shows that either there is no correlation of AIR to Brent Crude, or that AIR very cleverly manage their oil price hedges which by ergo have no correlation to share price. I think the latter, but the former is the result. I will still do my own analysis, to be sure.

Xerof
13-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Save me the trouble of research (please), if you know, which refinery('s) does AIR buy their jet fuel from and what is their source, Brent, Sing, Western Texas, other ... ? That will point to the comparative index. TIA. Sorry mate, unable to assist there as I don't know the answer to that.

see weed
13-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Got another 14,000 in last 2 days for the good cause. Haven't got as many as Couta1 but working on it:). SP has gained 15c in last 12 days. After buying 12 lots average price 2.135c and now $3,276 in the green. Sp goes up a couple of cents then buy in when it comes back at end of trading at 4.55pm. Don't know how long this will go on for, but bit by bit is ok by me.

Beagle
14-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Got another 14,000 in last 2 days for the good cause. Haven't got as many as Couta1 but working on it:). SP has gained 15c in last 12 days. After buying 12 lots average price 2.135c and now $3,276 in the green. Sp goes up a couple of cents then buy in when it comes back at end of trading at 4.55pm. Don't know how long this will go on for, but bit by bit is ok by me.

I picked up a few more on Monday but the bit by bit thing is painful for this jaundiced old dog to watch so I will stick to my maximum self imposed 10% portfolio allocation where its currently at. Hate watching the XAL index bound back up 4.5% and then watching QAN make good gains and then have to watch AIR struggling to claw its way up in altitude half cent by half cent. Its painful to watch so I am still feeling like a grumpy grizzly bear with a thorn in its paw.

Balance
14-07-2016, 08:54 AM
I picked up a few more on Monday but the bit by bit thing is painful for this jaundiced old dog to watch so I will stick to my maximum self imposed 10% portfolio allocation where its currently at. Hate watching the XAL index bound back up 4.5% and then watching QAN make good gains and then have to watch AIR struggling to claw its way up in altitude half cent by half cent. Its painful to watch so I am still feeling like a grumpy grizzly bear with a thorn in its paw.

“In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.”

― Benjamin Graham

percy
14-07-2016, 09:00 AM
“In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.”

― Benjamin Graham

Trouble appears to be a lack of faith in the weighing machine at present.lol.

Beagle
14-07-2016, 09:07 AM

― Benjamin Graham

Yes a very apt quote at a time like this. I do believe AIR is fundamentally incredibly cheap. In time once everyone has recovered from licking their wounds we should see more normal market behaviour.

Balance
14-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Yes a very apt quote at a time like this. I do believe AIR is fundamentally incredibly cheap. In time once everyone has recovered from licking their wounds we should see more normal market behaviour.

The Australian institutions switch between Qantas and Air NZ in their aviation/airline portfolio so matter of time imo.

Results out next month so anticipation will start building on whether AIR will pay a special dividend, besides giving their outlook commentary.

winner69
14-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Solid start to the day - a cent or two everyday willsee 220 and then 230 and then 240 and when 25 cent divie announced a spike to 260

workingdad
14-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Maybe sooner than you thought by the start of todays trading. Early days but I get the sense AIR as a bargain is starting to get on peoples radars...

winner69
14-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Maybe sooner than you thought by the start of todays trading. Early days but I get the sense AIR as a bargain is starting to get on peoples radars...

....especially with global "risk on" again

No worries - share prices go up

This might be the big day and the start of real momentum - close 225 - possibly

winner69
14-07-2016, 10:34 AM
I reckon later this year we will have another round of debate about 300 resistance and support levels - looking forward to that

sb9
14-07-2016, 10:36 AM
I reckon later this year we will have another round of debate about 300 resistance and support levels - looking forward to that

I be happy with 250 before the FY results to be announced...

Nasi Goreng
14-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Why is there excitement about a special dividend? If they pay 20c special divi today, then company will be worth 20cps less tomorrow. Do investors really over pay for imputation credits?

BC_Doc
14-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Why is there excitement about a special dividend? If they pay 20c special divi today, then company will be worth 20cps less tomorrow. Do investors really over pay for imputation credits?

I guess there is belief that the market has not priced in a special dividend......yet

babymonster
14-07-2016, 11:01 AM
I be happy with 250 before the FY results to be announced...
same here...

dobby41
14-07-2016, 11:03 AM
I guess there is belief that the market has not priced in a special dividend......yet

Given that the pricing is more based on sentiment it is really impossible to tell what is priced in.

workingdad
14-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Given that the pricing is more based on sentiment it is really impossible to tell what is priced in.

Impossible yes but bearing in mind yesterday's price was the pre brexit price level I would hazard a guess that sentiment hasn't priced in a lot. We have yet to really see the traditional gain in value associated with an announcement such as the VAH sale as nothing happened at the time this was released.

Beagle
14-07-2016, 11:09 AM

That's a very small part of the overall picture in that some investors on a marginal tax rate below the company rate of 28% can extract an advantage. You might like to do some digging and research on "dividend stripping". If you dig far enough you'll find the answer. Google it and have a look at some of the case studies for starters. I prefer to buy stocks cum dividend or the very day they go ex. A short period of relative outperformance over the following few weeks is the norm. You can't set your watch by it but far more often than not there are relative gains to be made that exceed normal level's.
Share splits and relative outperformance thereafter is another interesting market phenomenon.

P.S. 100% agree with what Balance has said below too. Also the simple fact that people generally love a really good dividend feed.

Balance
14-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Does not work like that. AIR is priced on its earnings and growth (or lack thereof) potential. Paying a special dividend signals many positives about its balance sheet strength, earnings and growth prospects.

sb9
14-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Does not work like that. AIR is priced on its earnings and growth (or lack thereof) potential. Paying a special dividend signals many positives about its balance sheet strength, earnings and growth prospects.

May I also add "Reward the shareholders as appropriate"!!!

mikeybycrikey
14-07-2016, 11:52 AM

That seems to be the feeling here in NZ: strong companies pay a strong dividend.

In many other places companies prefer to grow by investing the dividend in themselves, although I guess that would be more prevalent in growth sectors.

Would I prefer a 25c dividend or perhaps instead a new Dreamliner that would help to earn future profits for the airline?

Both of these approaches have their own advantages, obviously.

Balance
14-07-2016, 11:57 AM
That seems to be the feeling here in NZ: strong companies pay a strong dividend.

In many other places companies prefer to grow by investing the dividend in themselves, although I guess that would be more prevalent in growth sectors.

Would I prefer a 25c dividend or perhaps instead a new Dreamliner that would help to earn future profits for the airline?

NZ is known as a high yield market. Companies which do not pay dividends do not get retail support generally and the institutions like to see retail presence in companies.

Some companies used to have DRP but discontinued them as they were getting over-capitalised.

Nasi Goreng
14-07-2016, 12:39 PM
I get that but Air NZ is already a pretty good dividend payer.

Mikey's reflection is similar to mine, this is a special dividend which would predominantly come from the sale of VAH, do I want the special divi that would reduce NTA or would I prefer them to reduce debt/invest it themselves? I'm not actually that sure. It isn't that big of a deal either way except I might feel good for a few days after receiving a big pay out, the flip side being my shares will be worth 20c? lower.

winner69
14-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Share price on a roll

Today will go down as the day the shackles were broken

Onward and upward eh sb9

workingdad
14-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Share price on a roll

Onward and upward eh sb9

You may just be right there Winner, broken through the 50 day MA too :)

sb9
14-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Share price on a roll

Onward and upward eh sb9

Surely, looks as though the tide may have turned...

Beagle
14-07-2016, 07:18 PM

They're already investing at a very rapid pace and are half way through a major modernisation and expansion plan that will see them have one of the youngest fleet's in the world by FY19 and they already have the financial flexibility to fund this from existing resources so they might as well pay our the full VAH sale and at least half the cash profits from 2H FY16. The sale of VAH is said to be worth approx. 25 cps per AIR share in cash inflow. Govt will no doubt appreciate a big dividend seeing as they're no longer getting their $90+ million one from Housing corp. They already have Dreamliner's for Africa and I'd rather see them engage is highly disciplined growth rather than throw resources around "willy nilly" Might as well round that total dividend at 40 cps inclusive of special and final, all fully imputed and give us bean counters lots of beans to count.

see weed
14-07-2016, 11:15 PM
They're already investing at a very rapid pace and are half way through a major modernisation and expansion plan that will see them have one of the youngest fleet's in the world by FY19 and they already have the financial flexibility to fund this from existing resources so they might as well pay our the full VAH sale and at least half the cash profits from 2H FY16. The sale of VAH is said to be worth approx. 25 cps per AIR share in cash inflow. Govt will no doubt appreciate a big dividend seeing as they're no longer getting their $90+ million one from Housing corp. They already have Dreamliner's for Africa and I'd rather see them engage is highly disciplined growth rather than throw resources around "willy nilly" Might as well round that total dividend at 40 cps inclusive of special and final, all fully imputed and give us bean counters lots of beans to count.
That will make couta1 happy. Me also happy, all lots bought in the green now:t_up:.

freddagg
14-07-2016, 11:36 PM

Now ya talking my language Roger

workingdad
15-07-2016, 08:18 AM
US markets all in the green and the XAL up over 2% overnight, lets see if AIR can have another good day.

Having it go up 5.5c or 2.5% which ever way you look at it was one of the better days it has had since its meteoric fall but in reality it still has a lot of room to play catch up to its cousins overseas.

Beagle
15-07-2016, 08:39 AM
That will make couta1 happy. Me also happy, all lots bought in the green now:t_up:.

Might be party time in Queenstown mid / late Sept. Speaking of domestic bliss...keep an eye on www.grabaseat.co.nz 10th birthday sale today...guess what the fares are going to be sold for :)

Balance
15-07-2016, 08:55 AM
US markets all in the green and the XAL up over 2% overnight, lets see if AIR can have another good day.

Having it go up 5.5c or 2.5% which ever way you look at it was one of the better days it has had since its meteoric fall but in reality it still has a lot of room to play catch up to its cousins overseas.

Strong NZ$ has been a drag on NZ market - overseas institutions who have been big net investors this year have been taking profits as currency gains are just as good as sp gains.

Even better, they have been getting both.

So have to let the selling ease and should then see NZ market move up a notch - still one of the best performing economies in the world and providing very attractive sustainable dividend yields at a time when interest rates can only go lower.

Nasi Goreng
15-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Well 224 is a lot better than it was when it was bouncing off low 200s, well done to Seeweed so far, hope you and Couta make a lot of money off this and me a modest amount of money lol.

workingdad
15-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Well 224 is a lot better than it was when it was bouncing off low 200s, well done to Seeweed so far, hope you and Couta make a lot of money off this and me a modest amount of money lol.

And if it closes at or higher than the current price it will be 'higher high' from a TA perspective so lots of buy signals coming into the mix. I am still learning about reading charts and AIR has been a good one to follow. For once, a happy holder and looking forward to EOY results and maybe monthly stats out today.

see weed
15-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks, just bought another 7000 at 2.25 to keep up the momentum, hope that helps:).

see weed
15-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Come on now folks keep it rolling, move it on, move it on, any takers at $2.24. Be in now, before it's too late. Otherwise next week you will be kicking your self at $2.30. Just joking, wouldn't that be funny 2.30-2.35 next week:t_up::eek2::D:cool:

workingdad
15-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Some of the usual big boys taking profits or limiting exposure heading into a weekend. I will be happy with a green arrow at the end of the day. Particularly if it's 2.25 or above. To head into next week on a higher high would be great.

Beagle
16-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Come on now folks keep it rolling, move it on, move it on, any takers at $2.24. Be in now, before it's too late. Otherwise next week you will be kicking your self at $2.30. Just joking, wouldn't that be funny 2.30-2.35 next week:t_up::eek2::D:cool:

We haven't seen any good old fashioned ramping on this thread for a while...almost like a breath of fresh "AIR" mate :)

iceman
16-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Hopefully nothing serious http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11675749

QOH
16-07-2016, 07:14 PM
I thought AIR usually did well in annual awards. What really sucks QAN beat us.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/12/aviation/worlds-best-airlines-2016-skytrax/index.html

Beagle
18-07-2016, 11:12 AM
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/carry-fastest-way-new-york-new-north-american-codeshares-and-more-ng-191551

RTFQ
18-07-2016, 12:27 PM
http://oil-price.net/en/articles/saudis-lost-US-clout-over-oil-price-war.php

Interesting article. The US is snubbing the Saudis. Donald has call their leader "the dopey prince". The only option they have got is to pump more. If correct then oil is heading south again. Good for AIR.

Marilyn Munroe
18-07-2016, 01:19 PM
http://jumpjet.net/

Who are these guys?

Are they serious players?

Boop boop de do
Marilyn