PDA

View Full Version : Tell me where to stick it

Lewylewylewy
03-04-2017, 07:51 PM
I've freed up a $10k parcel. Where should I stick it? I'm thinking that rbd and sum are looking cheap at the moment. Is like some more fph but they're looking a bit pricy at the moment (still cheap, but I think they'll be cheaper later).

Should I buy some of those, something else or should I hold onto it for a bit?

percy
03-04-2017, 08:04 PM
I've freed up a $10k parcel. Where should I stick it? I'm thinking that rbd and sum are looking cheap at the moment. Is like some more fph but they're looking a bit pricy at the moment (still cheap, but I think they'll be cheaper later).

Should I buy some of those, something else or should I hold onto it for a bit?

Just between you and me,but AWF could surprise when their full year result comes out in May.
Current PE of 14.91 will come way down.In the meantime the yield is 6.08%.I am offcourse "well positioned" having finished my buying this morning.

Lewylewylewy
03-04-2017, 10:06 PM
That might be a nice one for Rogers mum too.

Thanks for the tip mate. If I can't get a deal on either of the others this well, I'll take a punt there and we can raise a glass in May.

BeeBop
03-04-2017, 10:51 PM
How about CEN? Although it has just had a little wee run....still good yield though.

LAC
03-04-2017, 11:14 PM
How long do you want to stick in in for?
SUM and THL would be my choice.

trader_jackson
04-04-2017, 12:55 AM
What about the most recent IPO, Oceania?
Nice balance of yield and growth :t_up:

Disclosure: Hold ARV, keen on Oceania

janner
04-04-2017, 01:18 AM
What about the most recent IPO, Oceania?
Nice balance of yield and growth :t_up:

Disclosure: Hold ARV, keen on Oceania

Too many questions being asked with regard to Oceania IMO..

DYOR !!..

winner69
04-04-2017, 02:32 AM
WINX will give you 20% return

winner69
04-04-2017, 06:40 AM
lewy - you pretty smart so shouldn't you only be doing your thing

arc
04-04-2017, 08:23 AM
WINX will give you 20% return

Who are winx ?

There used to be nze:win but they dont appear to be active

bohemian
04-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Lewy, how about one of the FANGs in particular Amazon. Craigs came out with another research note on Cloud services recently. Amazon's AWS leads the rest of the pack by 2:1 and is growing exponentially. I'm in and plan to buy more.

beetills
04-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Who are winx ?

There used to be nze:win but they dont appear to be active
Unbeaten Australian racehorse starting Saturday.
20% MIGHT BE A BIT GENEROUS.Iwould be hoping for 8/9%.

arc
04-04-2017, 10:22 AM

ahhhh.. the donkeys.
At least you know your risk outcome in a very short time.

Beagle
04-04-2017, 10:41 AM
I'd stick it SUM where :)

Lewylewylewy
04-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! It's a shame I can't do a conditional order with ASB; so for example, say "I would like to buy RBD at 5.36 or SUM at 5.15, whichever order gets completed first".

At the moment I'm eyeing up AWF, SUM and RBD. AWF doesn't have many sellers and they all want more (which seems fair enough, I just can't bring myself to pay more right now). Might see if I can get RBD today, then maybe put a bid in for SUM if my RBD order doesn't get filled... I would like some RBD as a punt in the US though...

Hoop
04-04-2017, 12:32 PM
All 3 are in medium/long term up trends..All 3 are currently in short term down trends and in the process of giving back gains made from the early March NZ Market rally (short term correction)...............Two failed in their March rally to beat their price from the September 2016 NZ market rally..(SUM and RBD) ................AWF is illiquid and TA indicators are not reliable with illiquid stocks ..From charted history AWF did not join the September 2016 market rally so it pushed higher in the March rally..

SUM and RBD could not muster enough momentum to create new highs during the strong overall NZ market rally in March, thereby producing a long term charted levelling out effect to their overall long term up trend This is not a biggie in the state of things at the moment..but it does create a very slight medium term concern which could add a small degree of risk (discount) to their current pricing..This levelling out of the share price is something to keep a watch on during the next few months.

As with all investments..to gain portfolio efficiency.. timing to buy is one of many key factors ..and unfortunately patience is a virtue that only a lucky few possess.

Joshuatree
04-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Patience alright ; took me re 2 months timing/sitting on the buy to get into AWF.
I see naive folks still mixing up investing with gambling; must be easy come easy go for them i guess:sleep:

Lewylewylewy
04-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Good advice hoop. Personally I can't see SUM going below 5.10 again unless there's a market crash. RBD, I'm not sure. I have my boss sitting at 5.36, which is fine for me. I might also keep an eye on SCL with the way the exchange rate is going...

NZSilver
04-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Hlg and take 400+ div in a week and the capital gains

winner69
04-04-2017, 05:40 PM

Ladbrooks have her on Special - at $2.00 - but only allowed to put $25 on. The other $9,975 will have to be at $1.15

Still a great divie

Joshuatree
04-04-2017, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=NZSilver;661749]Hlg and take 400+ div in a week and the capital gains[/QUOTE

Cant nut that one out?

Lewylewylewy
04-04-2017, 11:08 PM
I don't invest in hlg, because of fear that some foreign store will announce that they're coming to NZ and wipe 30% off the SP in one day 😃

axe
05-04-2017, 08:11 AM
depends how much risk you hungry for - canes vs tahs friday night in welly - canes @ 13 and over make for an entertaining night with 10k? :eek2:

Lewylewylewy
07-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Here's the current play:

RDB - Love it, currency favourable, future currency favourable, US exposure (US going well), Good divie (IOW: SP ok). Good growth story, good management.
SUM - Massive growth story, love the ponzi scheme. SP is bad for value, but good for growth (return is low, but investment is good)
SCL - Will one day have a problem and will become very cheap (there'll be a year of bad weather or disease or whatever). Otherwise they'll be amazing for the next year because of exchange rate and good harvest, etc. Good management.

So SCL will likely be a good investment for the year. After that I may need to sell. I do have a psychological issue in which I am in denial about the lack of perminance of things, but the sensible side of me says that it's ok to invest for a year. There is a risk that if next year is bad, then I may have trouble exiting if I don't time it well.
RBD will also be a great investment. I'm slightly loathed to buy at nearly $5.5, when I missed out on buying at less that that recently. This is not rational, other than as a sign that market sentiment might change. It seemed to have gone up with US jobs data, which is a scenario that's not going to change iminently.
SUM... Fantastic. The only share of the 3 that I already own. Recent correction so SP is good. Worries about property market - there could be a big drop here at some point this year.

Also FPH could have a drop if there's anything comes out of the meeting between Trump and the Chinese. Probably the meeting will be deemed positive, as Trump is a little weasel bullies always are nice to people with power (even if they've lambasted them previously / privately). I have no idea how this will affect the FPH SP. Mostly likely scenarios are:

- Meeting goes badly, FPH drops due to fears of Trump kicking off protection policies (unlikely)
- Meeting goes neutrally, FPH does nothing or goes up (likely)
- Meeting is positive, FPH does nothing or goes up due to Trump seeming to back down. Then Trump may go on about Mexico or pick some other target to direct his supporters hate, FPH SP goes down (likely)

Action: Do nothing, watch for FPH drop to buy more. Leave low ball offer in RBD. Watch RBD and SCL for drops... Maybe get suckered into buying more SUM... Maybe just wait for the next panic for one of the above.

percy
07-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Just between you and me,but AWF could surprise when their full year result comes out in May.
Current PE of 14.91 will come way down.In the meantime the yield is 6.08%.I am offcourse "well positioned" having finished my buying this morning.

I think you must have spread the word.!
When I finished buying on Monday morning the sp was $2.63.
Currently there is a buyer at $2.85 which is 8.365% higher.
So your $10,000 would be $10,836.50 today, if you had brought them.A nice $836.50 profit.
Looking at the chart, it looks to me as though the fun is starting.!!![without you].lol.
JT is also "well positioned".

Lewylewylewy
07-04-2017, 02:03 PM
I think you must have spread the word.!
When I finished buying on Monday morning the sp was $2.63.
Currently there is a buyer at $2.85 which is 8.365% higher.
So your $10,000 would be $10,836.50 today, if you had brought them.A nice $836.50 profit.
Looking at the chart, it looks to me as though the fun is starting.!!![without you].lol.
JT is also "well positioned".

Thanks for the tip, Percy. I did try to buy, but they are so illiquid that it wasn't possible for me to buy at those rates. From memory I think there was a small parcel available at $2.73, then a larger one at $2.85.

JoeGrogan
07-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Here's the current play:

RDB - Love it, currency favourable, future currency favourable, US exposure (US going well), Good divie (IOW: SP ok). Good growth story, good management.
SUM - Massive growth story, love the ponzi scheme. SP is bad for value, but good for growth (return is low, but investment is good)
SCL - Will one day have a problem and will become very cheap (there'll be a year of bad weather or disease or whatever). Otherwise they'll be amazing for the next year because of exchange rate and good harvest, etc. Good management.

So SCL will likely be a good investment for the year. After that I may need to sell. I do have a psychological issue in which I am in denial about the lack of perminance of things, but the sensible side of me says that it's ok to invest for a year. There is a risk that if next year is bad, then I may have trouble exiting if I don't time it well.
RBD will also be a great investment. I'm slightly loathed to buy at nearly $5.5, when I missed out on buying at less that that recently. This is not rational, other than as a sign that market sentiment might change. It seemed to have gone up with US jobs data, which is a scenario that's not going to change iminently.
SUM... Fantastic. The only share of the 3 that I already own. Recent correction so SP is good. Worries about property market - there could be a big drop here at some point this year.

Also FPH could have a drop if there's anything comes out of the meeting between Trump and the Chinese. Probably the meeting will be deemed positive, as Trump is a little weasel bullies always are nice to people with power (even if they've lambasted them previously / privately). I have no idea how this will affect the FPH SP. Mostly likely scenarios are:

- Meeting goes badly, FPH drops due to fears of Trump kicking off protection policies (unlikely)
- Meeting goes neutrally, FPH does nothing or goes up (likely)
- Meeting is positive, FPH does nothing or goes up due to Trump seeming to back down. Then Trump may go on about Mexico or pick some other target to direct his supporters hate, FPH SP goes down (likely)

Action: Do nothing, watch for FPH drop to buy more. Leave low ball offer in RBD. Watch RBD and SCL for drops... Maybe get suckered into buying more SUM... Maybe just wait for the next panic for one of the above.

I'm not to sold on SCL breaking up into the $4 range, i feel as though the share price is currently pretty fair considering the seasonal risk the company brings. However, if it falls to the lower $3 range i will consider it good value (i can see the SP going that way before going up, unless good news is announced).

I'm thinking of adding to my small FPH holding if the SP comes back down to the 940 area. Its been on a nice uptrend as of late and i feel it could have a little correction before continuing on its way into the 10's.

Disclaimer: This is all speculation, take it with a grain of salt.

Lewylewylewy
07-04-2017, 10:17 PM
FPH got a big fright with the Trump protectionism, and the sp fell due to fear of the Mexican tax. Then it went up FPH said it won't affect them. Then it's been going up slowly as there's no evidence of a Mexico tax happening and the company gains value as it grows and gets closer to it's next "aren't we good?" announcement. I'm hoping for a little international nonsense before that next announcement so I can buy more. Syria bombing put a little dent, but I want more to cover Trump risk.

winner69
08-04-2017, 05:21 PM
WINX dividend was 10 cents - not a bad return on a $1

Now problem is to where to stick all the dosh

Lewylewylewy
11-04-2017, 03:43 PM
I ended up buying RBD@$5.48. not the best price, but I'm confident that it will be a good one for the year... I got sick of waiting for the next irrational panic.

Yoda
21-05-2017, 10:27 PM
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170515-the-entrepreneurs-making-money-out-of-thin-air

By far the best company to buy shares in .:t_up:
Blue sky ( or air )