PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 NZX Picks

minimoke
12-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Heres your chance to spend someone else's money.

I'm going to set up another portfolio. Heres the criteria. Must be NZX. Be conservative to semi aggressive and offer some cash to pay the bills. So what are your picks (and this wont be taken as financial advice!). I'll be taking 10 and will update as the buys are made.

t.rexjr
12-09-2017, 08:12 PM
10 is actually quite hard with most that fit your criteria being near top of value
I hold 4 of these. Maybe 5 soon

ARV
ATM
AWF
FLI
FPH
HBL
MCK
RBC
THL
TIL (wait for bottom)

percy
12-09-2017, 09:01 PM
........................................PE ratio....................dividend yield..............today's share price.
AWF....................................14.17...... ...................6.33%.........................$ 2.56
HBL.....................................14.82..... ....................4.95%......................... $1.82
HLG......................................11.44.... ....................10.03%........................ $3.09
MEL.......................................38.17... .....................6.34%........................ .$2.935
NZM.....................................4.76...... ....................11.05%........................ .....86 cents
OCA...guessing.......................12........... ................3.5% to 4.55.......................96 cents
PGW.....................................9.6....... .....................6.38%........................ .......58 cents
SCL......................................14,41.... .....................5.26%........................ ...$3.42
THL......................................17.42.... ......................4.47%....................... ....$4.47
TRA......................................13.17.... ......................4.32%....................... .....$3.36
NB.I no longer hold AWF,HLG,NZM , PGW,or SCL,although I am a trustee of a trust, which still does,except for SCL.
I therefore hold five stocks.HBL,MEL,OCA,THL and TRA.MEL I brought at issue.I think every portfolio should have one power company,and as they are my power supplier I am happy to hold.Have always decided against buying more of them,as their pE is too high.

babymonster
12-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Air
Thl
Fre
Mft
Skc
Rym
Vgl
Cbl
Only got 8, sorry

Lewylewylewy
12-09-2017, 10:45 PM
I guess if you're looking to spread, which I guess you are, since 10 is a lot. I would suggest some banks. Also bad time to be buying. Anyway, my picks for things to watch (to buy lower):

ATM aggressive, too expensive
FPH aggressive, too expensive
RBD pricy but about fair, slightly expensive
ANZ. Can be cheaper but fair
WBC. As above
VHP conservative, growth
Thl cyclical, good dividend.
SCL bad buying at the moment, but I've to watch
SUM, good buying once labour get in. Expect a painful labour, brings good buying opportunities for the long haul.
Hbl, growth bank.

The only thing I'd be buying at the moment is SUM, but only if I believed that national were going to get in... And I don't. I'll be buying more when labor get in, providing I can ditch my ebo at the right price. Ebo is another safe bet, tiny growth, ok dividend, fair price at the moment if you HAVE to buy something.

artemis
13-09-2017, 06:14 AM
Suggest include one high risk penny stock with possibility of a big payday. Like BLT, CRP, PIL.

minimoke
13-09-2017, 06:55 AM
since 10 is a lot.
10 does seem a lot but its a number I think will works well. In my early Equiticopr type/Judgecorp days I only had a few shares and did quite well out of them. Luck really as had to sell to buy property. Did no work just enjoyed the ride up.

Then I started to get a bit more cash and tried picking individual stocks. Not quite a day trader, did OK but found I was spending a lot of time daily on analysis and the gains were fine until I took the eye off the ball on some of the riskier ones and took a bath on occasion.

My own portfolio has 10 shares long held (it could have been 11 or 9 so not a magic number) and I have found it works much better as a set and forget type portfolio. I don't have to worry on a daily basis as I have stop losses (eg SKY) I keep an eye out of interest and do the analysis each month. It enables me to ride the individual highs and lows but the overall trend has been up

Interestingly of the companies listed so far on this thread only a few are in Portfolio One. This is going to be fun!

minimoke
13-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Suggest include one high risk penny stock with possibility of a big payday. Like BLT, CRP, PIL.
My Risk Fairy is chewing my ear so I might just have to do this. With 10 companies I can ride some turbulence.

minimoke
13-09-2017, 06:59 AM
The only thing I'd be buying at the moment is SUM, but only if I believed that national were going to get in... .
Shopping starts post election. I'm in no hurry. Though there may be one or two that look too good to resist on the 22nd

hogie
13-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Shopping starts post election. I'm in no hurry. Though there may be one or two that look too good to resist on the 22nd

MPG ... I'm buying some as soon as capital frees up!

Scrunch
13-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Assuming the reason behind 10 stocks is some diversification a pair of stocks that closely represent the same industry is a bad idea. For example if you have a big nz listed bank in the portfolio, choose either ANZ or WBC as one of the 10. They typically have very similar movements as they are influenced by the same factors.

thestg
13-09-2017, 09:19 AM
First are the 8 I am holding:
IFT
MEL
MPG
OCA
SCL
SUM
THL
TIL
And the last 2 which I am not holding at the moment
AIR
HLG
I am looking to add HLG soon closer to div time & am always considering AIR.

artemis
13-09-2017, 10:37 AM
My Risk Fairy is chewing my ear so I might just have to do this. With 10 companies I can ride some turbulence.

I would go with PIL. Launching Arthrem in Oz (1 state only to start) and Artevite for dogs in NZ, both this month. They have been successful in NZ with Arthrem, due to heavy advertising with sales exceeding costs. They will almost certainly do the same in Oz, where they have received the official OK to make medical claims (not allowed in NZ). Shares cheap at the mo.

Antipodean
13-09-2017, 10:53 AM
In no particular order...

HBL
RBD
AIR
MCY
HLG
SUM
SCL
THL
PGW
NTL

7 of which I hold

couta1
13-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Other than SUM which is a long term hold, any solid stock which pays a good dividend I will hatch and dispatch in good numbers and currently that means, Mcy/Mel/Cnu/Spk.

minimoke
15-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Well, Babymonster. You are first cab off the rank spending someone elses money.
I've gone expensive to start with.

FRE, bought at $7.78. PE: 20.06 Div yield: 3.52%

If Jacinda think she can do a fast rail from Tauranga to Auckland for $20m rail is stuffed and trucks are the future.

minimoke
03-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Just a wee update. You folks can still spend someone else's money - just not yet. I've decided to hold off until after the coalition agreement has been agreed. I'm banking on some market nervousness next week to drop prices .

In the meantime I'm enjoying my Freightways dividend and price only dropped back to $7.76.

I have a few more targets in ind and will update when the BUY button is hit.

Lewylewylewy
04-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Shame you didn't go with my picks, you would have made big on at least a few... Not dumb holding off though.

That said, I can see SUM going to near 5.5 soonish.

princesssmartypants
05-10-2017, 10:18 AM
In rough order of size, I hold:
VGL
MET
NZR
SYFT (unlisted)
OCA
SAN
CBL
ABA
TRA
BLT

minimoke
05-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Shame you didn't go with my picks, you would have made big on at least a few... Not dumb holding off though.

That said, I can see SUM going to near 5.5 soonish.I'm in no particular hurry and not too worried about a bit of a potential lost opportunity over the next few weeks. I figure that what ever I go with will make up for any short term loss over the long term. (got my eyes on SUM!)

Lewylewylewy
08-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Don't remember if I put it on my list, but ABA is an interesting one.

minimoke
15-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Right, election over; coalition formed. The potential for election period jitters in the market now over.

So TRex, Percy, LewyLewy and Antipodean you have been spending my money. $1.98 for HBL today.

I like to spread the love around so TheStg and Couta1 you got to spend $4.80 on SUM

Also got an order in for THL but its a bit rich for me at the moment.

I figure I'm paying a premium but I'm not into picking the market to the closest dime. Both long terms holds so I'm prepared for a bit of a fall back

minimoke
16-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Manage to pick up what I wanted at $4.80.

And decided I need a risky speculator. So I've gone for PPH at $3.30

numbersman
16-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Right, election over; coalition formed. The potential for election period jitters in the market now over.

So TRex, Percy, LewyLewy and Antipodean you have been spending my money. $1.98 for HBL today.

I like to spread the love around so TheStg and Couta1 you got to spend $4.80 on SUM

I figure I'm paying a premium but I'm not into picking the market to the closest dime. Both long terms holds so I'm prepared for a bit of a fall back

Good choice I rekon. HBL,SUM,THL are 3 of my 6 holdings and PPH is in my stockpicking 2017 :)

minimoke
25-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Just a thank you to the clever people on Sharetrader.

A little over 2 months and this portfolio has now hit a 10% increase mark. Well ahead of schedule and I'm quite the happy camper. I know it will go down - but I figure the higher the position day on day the more I can take the dips. Well done to people and your thoughts on this thread.

Now looking for the next hot tips!

(I ended up with ATM, FRE, HBL, PPH, SML, SUM and THL)

Lewylewylewy
25-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Wbt over on the asx is interesting and about right buy price. Mid this year they'll be announcing the next milestone which will create euphoria in the SP... right now the prince is recovering from a recent profit take from share options just released. I expect you will make 35% in 6 months on current prices.

hardt
25-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Wbt over on the asx is interesting and about right buy price. Mid this year they'll be announcing the next milestone which will create euphoria in the SP... right now the prince is recovering from a recent profit take from share options just released. I expect you will make 35% in 6 months on current prices.

That is an awfully speculative pick... seems like a hotcopper special.

Looks good though... but this is a thread for NZX picks.

minimoke
09-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Milestone day today. And thanks once again to those who pointed me in the right direction. Portfolio today hit 20% increase in about 4 months. Cant complain about that!

Joshuatree
09-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Awesome mm, what a great collaborative sharing thread:t_up:

minimoke
14-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Awesome mm, what a great collaborative sharing thread:t_up:
Excellent collaboration! Today is 4 month anniversary of setting up new portfolio and it hits 25% increase - excluding dividends. I just love these milestones.

Serpie
14-03-2018, 08:49 PM
This is my kind of thread now that my gambling, speccy days are behind me. I'm buying a portfolio of dividend yielding NZX stocks in sectors that I like. One company per month, timed to qualify for the upcoming dividend round. So far:
January - SKC
February - AIR
March - AIA
I need some exposure to the retirement sector. I do work with RYM, SUM and OCA and they are all totally different beasts, so I'm not which horse to jump on first.

minimoke
15-03-2018, 07:07 AM
Welcome back Serpie. Cant recall how long you have been away. But as a benchmark I have "Portfolio 1" which has increased in value 347% (excluding dividends) in the past 9 years. This is my "set and forget" portfolio. I was out of the market and basically left these shares to do their own thing. It has the shares you mention in it - except AIR. I used to own AIR. Bought back in the day when it was going bust. Bought a few days before govt decided to bail it out so it was extremely cheap. Sold sometime later for massive gain. Havent been back in since. Old saying "How do you get $5,000 of airline stocks in your portfolio? Start with $10,000". That hasnt applied to AIR recently but I am ethically opposed to their giving blanket bonuses to all staff. I see this as shareholder theft and I wont buy because of that.

I have SKC. Ethically a little torn with that one. Tax on the poor and taking money from the foolish (with respect to your goodself). But I figure since no one is holding a gun to punters heads I reckon the house will always do better than the punter so a sure bet for portfolio inclusion.

I have AIA. A monopoly property company. Its a no-brainer.

I also have RYM. I'm up something like 2,000% (excluding dividends) with that buy. Happy with the way it is tracking so wont buy any more.

In Portfolio One also sits Contact, Chorus, Freightways, Spark and Tourism Holdings. I used to have Sky TV but binned them a while back. Appalling management.

I wanted something more aggressive and active for the next five years. Hence this thread and Portfolio Two. Which has SUM rather than RYM

thestg
15-03-2018, 08:19 AM
First are the 8 I am holding:
IFT
MEL
MPG
OCA
SCL
SUM
THL
TIL
And the last 2 which I am not holding at the moment
AIR
HLG
I am looking to add HLG soon closer to div time & am always considering AIR.

Oh how things change. I thought my portfolio wouldn’t change much over the year but it has changed quite a lot.

IFT Collected divs & sold out gradually over 10 months. 22% return

MEL Collected divs & sold out gradually over 6 months. 1.5% returns

MPG Held for 6 months & sold out with 33.06% Loss (bought at $1.12 then bought more at $1.355, Sold out at $0.99)

OCA Held for last 8 months & added more in Jan & Feb 16.85% gain

SCL Held since June 2017 but sold down by 50% in March. 12.8% gain

THL Held 12 months but sold out when correction happened due to stop-loss 46.33% return.

TIL Held from June till Nov 28.38% loss

HLG Added 27/9/17. Collected divs & still holding 64.34% gain

ATM Added Nov, Dec, Feb & Mar (yesterday) 24.77% gain

SPK Added 20 Feb 2.0% gain

DISC: Holdings now as % of my portfolio are ATM 22.24%, HLG 38.46%, OCA 16.25%, SCL 5.28%, SPK 15.28%, Cash 2.49%

Filthy
15-03-2018, 08:43 AM
nice little summary stg. looks like you've done very well with some nice gains there!

current portfolio looks a little lopsided now, but all good eh mate.

hopefully those pink and purple flamingo beach shorts stay in fashion - stay nimble on that one ;)

Serpie
19-03-2018, 10:13 PM
Thanks MM. Away for about 9 years. I was concentrating on my own business rather than other people's ones. Much better returns.
I agree with your thoughts on SKC. I'm applying similar principles to RBD which I will add soon. Gambling and takeaways - there will always be a market for both.
I like AIR because I spend money with them.
The retirement sector has to be included. Unless we see a very radical change in social policy then aged care is not going to become obsolete. Any technology, Telco or energy stock is open to disruption. Sky TV is a great example. How long did that market take to evolve and make Sky a dinosaur? 18 months from Netflix arriving in NZ to now cutting it's throat?

If I can compound 10-15% per annum from the including dividends then I'm a happy camper. Little and often. It's not sexy but hopefully it's sustainable.

Thank you to all for sharing potential opportunities.

minimoke
21-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Excellent collaboration! Today is 4 month anniversary of setting up new portfolio and it hits 25% increase - excluding dividends. I just love these milestones.
And a week later I hit my December 2020 target with a close of business today gain of 30.3% = still excluding dividends. In just 4 months.

RupertBear
21-03-2018, 07:30 PM
And a week later I hit my December 2020 target with a close of business today gain of 30.3% = still excluding dividends. In just 4 months.

Looks like you deserve your Guru status minimoke! :)

minimoke
21-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Looks like you deserve your Guru status minimoke! :)With some guidance!

RupertBear
21-03-2018, 08:43 PM
With some guidance!

And a modest Guru as well! Nice :)

Baa_Baa
21-03-2018, 09:30 PM
And a modest Guru as well! Nice :)

Get real, 'status' as you put it ... being member, advanced member, guru, legend .. etc, here has nothing to do with prowess. It's just a count of how many posts members make. So make a few thousand posts RupertBear and you'll be a guru as well. Which goes for anyone else as well.

No disrespect intended to those who are bonafide guru's or legends who generously post here, or MM in particular who has shared openly some thoughtful decisions and is doing very well from it, by his/her account.

RupertBear
21-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Get real, 'status' as you put it ... being member, advanced member, guru, legend .. etc, here has nothing to do with prowess. It's just a count of how many posts members make. So make a few thousand posts RupertBear and you'll be a guru as well. Which goes for anyone else as well.

No disrespect intended to those who are bonafide guru's or legends who generously post here, or MM in particular who has shared openly some thoughtful decisions and is doing very well from it, by his/her account.

Ok fair enough Baa Baa I did not know how one became a guru or a legend, I thought it was a sign of other peoples respect for a persons posts. I better get posting then as I have always fancied being a guru or a legend! :D

Baa_Baa
21-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Ok fair enough Baa Baa I did not know how one became a guru or a legend, I thought it was a sign of other peoples respect for a persons posts. I better get posting then as I have always fancied being a guru or a legend! :D

Members 'respect' for other members postings is encapsulated in 'reputation', where registered members (those who are the only people who can post here) can attribute 'reputation' by clicking the 'star' at the bottom left side of any members post, and adding a reputation comment.

I think 'reputation' is a far better representation than 'status', i.e members attribution of value, rather than how many posts a member makes, but unfortunately it is hidden behind a veneer of confusing access and functions of the antiquated software that this site is built on which relatively few members have any idea that it even exists, let alone use it.

So the moral of the story is to not confuse members handles and their 'status' (as you put it) which is based on volume of posts, with their 'reputation' which is based on members feedback as to the value of their contributions.

hardt
21-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Members 'respect' for other members postings is encapsulated in 'reputation', where registered members (those who are the only people who can post here) can attribute 'reputation' by clicking the 'star' at the bottom left side of any members post, and adding a reputation comment.

I think 'reputation' is a far better representation than 'status', i.e members attribution of value, rather than how many posts a member makes, but unfortunately it is hidden behind a veneer of confusing access and functions of the antiquated software that this site is built on which relatively few members have any idea that it even exists, let alone use it.

So the moral of the story is to not confuse members handles and their 'status' (as you put it) which is based on volume of posts, with their 'reputation' which is based on members feedback as to the value of their contributions.

How many posts to become a membaa?

couta1
22-03-2018, 03:07 AM

So the moral of the story is to not confuse members handles and their 'status' (as you put it) which is based on volume of posts, with their 'reputation' which is based on members feedback as to the value of their contributions. A nice summary, personally I would feel too embarrassed to have Guru or Legend status under my name, I'm still trying to live up to my current tag thingy.

minimoke
22-03-2018, 06:58 AM
A nice summary, personally I would feel too embarrassed to have Guru or Legend status under my name, I'm still trying to live up to my current tag thingy.
Some of us dont suffer easily from this "embarrassment" thing". Probably related to a general lack of overall awareness or EQ

minimoke
22-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Get real, 'status' as you put it ... being member, advanced member, guru, legend .. etc, here has nothing to do with prowess. .I always thought those things were tongue in cheek labels and self obvious ought not to be taken seriously. I'm not sure there is any label here that reflects prowess. You have to go into a post to try and determine the factual substance and from there prowess emerges.

(Disc - never used that star or report post thingy in all the time I've been here)

couta1
22-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Ok fair enough Baa Baa I did not know how one became a guru or a legend, I thought it was a sign of other peoples respect for a persons posts. I better get posting then as I have always fancied being a guru or a legend! :D If you manage to sell your SLI shares for a profit, you'll be a Legend in my eyes. :cool:

RupertBear
22-03-2018, 09:55 AM
If you manage to sell your SLI shares for a profit, you'll be a Legend in my eyes. :cool:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Well I am half way there Couta :cool:

minimoke
26-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Last few days I've taken a good smacking from the ShareMarket Ugly Stick. Gains now down to 24% (excluding divs etc) over the past four months.

But on the bright side it has encouraged some sellers. I've had a buy order on RBC sitting there for a while and it got completed today.

Portfolio is now up to 8 out of 10 stocks and looks like:

ATM up 58.7% (21.2% of portfolio)
FRE down 3.3% (8.65%)
HBL down 10.3% (8.44%)
PPH up 27.9% (11.4%)
RBC even (5.9%)
SML up 20.8% (19.7%)
SUM up 47.5% (13.1%
THL up 29.6% (11.5%)