PDA

View Full Version : Wheres Winston?

minimoke
21-09-2017, 12:38 PM
We've all been a bit quiet on NZ First. Which begs the question - where has Winston been this time around. Missing in action I fear.

He holds a traditional National seat and I think National voters will see the threat from labour and fully back their candidate rather than Winston who only came in after a protest by-election vote. So I reckon he'll lose Northland.

Given the Labour / National battle I think he'll also lose party support to those two parties. Also TOP, as an alternative vote may suck up a few more.

His NZ Super explanations lack credibility. And a good number of his core constituency will have passed away over the past 3 years.

Hes' pretty silent on any issue and even the traditional last week media drama is missing this time around. So I reckon there is also a good chance he won't get over the 5% mark. Shame - I quite like Ron Mark

fungus pudding
21-09-2017, 12:43 PM
We've all been a bit quiet on NZ First. Which begs the question - where has Winston been this time around. Missing in action I fear.

He holds a traditional National seat and I think National voters will see the threat from labour and fully back their candidate rather than Winston who only came in after a protest by-election vote. So I reckon he'll lose Northland.

Given the Labour / National battle I think he'll also lose party support to those two parties. Also TOP, as an alternative vote may suck up a few more.

His NZ Super explanations lack credibility. And a good number of his core constituency will have passed away over the past 3 years.

Hes' pretty silent on any issue and even the traditional last week media drama is missing this time around. So I reckon there is also a good chance he won't get over the 5% mark. Shame - I quite like Ron Mark

They'll get back. I can't see them below 5%. Pity. Same with The Kermit party.

iceman
21-09-2017, 12:50 PM
I agree MM. Winston has run a lacklustre campaign. The new Labour leader created enough excitement for many left leaning NZF voters to go back home to Labour. This has been showing up in the polls since she then. The right leaning voters that have and were thinking about voting NZF, are now getting seriously worried at the thought of a Labour-Green Government possibly aided by Winston, so are heading back to National. I think there is a real possibility that NZF will not make it into Parliament. What is more, I think the same can easily happen to The Greens. Now that would make for an interesting outcome !

fungus pudding
21-09-2017, 12:52 PM
I agree MM. Winston has run a lacklustre campaign. The new Labour leader created enough excitement for many left leaning NZF voters to go back home to Labour. This has been showing up in the polls since she then. The right leaning voters that have and were thinking about voting NZF, are now getting seriously worried at the thought of a Labour-Green Government possibly aided by Winston, so are heading back to National. I think there is a real possibility that NZF will not make it into Parliament. What is more, I think the same can easily happen to The Greens. Now that would make for an interesting outcome !

Yes, it would. But if Kermits make it and Winston First doesn't - that's a Labour govt. Shudder .................!

iceman
21-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Yes, it would. But if Kermits make it and Winston First doesn't - that's a Labour govt. Shudder .................!

Not necessarily. Could also mean National being able to Govern on their own. The only minor parties that I'd say are sure to get in are ACT with 1-2 and Maori party 1-3.

minimoke
21-09-2017, 12:59 PM
They'll get back. I can't see them below 5%. Pity. Same with The Kermit party.
I cant see the Greens supporting their 8% poll. It would be impossible for Labour to get enough Party vote to account for 8% - and I think Labour is still polling pretty strongly. Labour is going to do a pretty good job of wealth re-distribution under the guise of "environment" so that will suck up a few Green votes and Labour plans to deal to employers so that also will appeal to Greens who are a little work shy. So I reckon Greens will be scraping the bottom of their constituency barrel and may struggle to get over 5%

I reckon Winston has lost the plot - I bet he doesnt even know how many bottom lines he has himself.

winner69
21-09-2017, 01:10 PM
I reckon Winston has lost the plot - I bet he doesnt even know how many bottom lines he has himself.

symptons of a medical condition that is

iceman
21-09-2017, 01:24 PM
And this is exactly why I think The Greens are at a risk of not making it into Parliament http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/97083457/why-cant-the-greens-be-more-green

Rep
21-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Essentially Winston is campaigning hard in Northland. 10 weeks ago you wouldnít have put NZF and the Greens in danger of not making the 5% threshold but things have changed. If Winston does win in Northland against a reasonably solid National Candidate this time then it wonít be the last drink for him as he wonít have to worry about the threshold. If they end up at effectively 4.99% and without that Nortland seat then he and the party are gone and for Peters thatís likely to be it.

The Greens arenít even close to winning an electorate so they donít have the luxury of that buffer whereas if Peters does win he will also bring 6 to 7 MPs with him depending on total party vote which might be crucial come Sunday morning.

iceman
22-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Essentially Winston is campaigning hard in Northland. 10 weeks ago you wouldn’t have put NZF and the Greens in danger of not making the 5% threshold but things have changed. If Winston does win in Northland against a reasonably solid National Candidate this time then it won’t be the last drink for him as he won’t have to worry about the threshold. If they end up at effectively 4.99% and without that Nortland seat then he and the party are gone and for Peters that’s likely to be it.

The Greens aren’t even close to winning an electorate so they don’t have the luxury of that buffer whereas if Peters does win he will also bring 6 to 7 MPs with him depending on total party vote which might be crucial come Sunday morning.

I think the fact that Winston drove up to Northland yesterday to devote the last 36 hours of campaigning there is him admitting NZF is at a real risk of not making the 5%. Here's hoping !!

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 07:43 AM
I think the fact that Winston drove up to Northland yesterday to devote the last 36 hours of campaigning there is him admitting NZF is at a real risk of not making the 5%. Here's hoping !!

That would leave National without a coaltion partner. No thanks. I'd rather see National with silly old Winston than Labour - greens.

iceman
22-09-2017, 07:47 AM
That would leave National without a coaltion partner. No thanks. I'd rather see National with silly old Winston than Labour - greens.

Possibly FP. But should National get 54-56 seats themselves and neither Green or NZF make 5%, National could Govern on their own. A distant possibility but one that I rather desire !

minimoke
22-09-2017, 07:58 AM
There must be an on-line calculator thing somewhere that shows where seats go if parties votes gets wasted by not hitting 5% or getting a MP.

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 08:02 AM
There must be an on-line calculator thing somewhere that shows where seats go if parties votes gets wasted by not hitting 5% or getting a MP.

The votes go into the rubbish bin and aare totally discarded, and that gives a new total of votes cast - which is then allocated according to the % of counted votes.

iceman
22-09-2017, 08:03 AM

They become invalid so in theory they are proportionally split to those that make it to Parliament

Brovendell
22-09-2017, 01:00 PM
A lot of the people that I associate with are going to vote for Winston and tick blue. Northland electorate has been shockingly served by National over decades. The people up here like Winston because he cares more for Northland than any other recent MP. The National candidate,Matt King, is warmly regarded and people think he will get his chance next election.

winner69
22-09-2017, 01:14 PM

if you relly keen

http://www.elections.org.nz/voting-system/mmp-voting-system/mmp-seat-allocation-calculator

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Possibly FP. But should National get 54-56 seats themselves and neither Green or NZF make 5%, National could Govern on their own. A distant possibility but one that I rather desire !

I agree that it's desirable, but there is no chance of The Kermits falling below 5%.
I can see National votes equal to the Taxcinda/Kermit total.

minimoke
22-09-2017, 02:20 PM
I agree that it's desirable, but there is no chance of The Kermits falling below 5%.
I suppose the people with no values have to go somewhere.

craic
13-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Isn't it about time this guy shut up about the media and all and sundry? His major conspiracy theory is full on but his court case doesn't appear to name defendants and the judge is getting irritated and his lawyer claims that he has been very busy lately etc. I would like to know how an intelligent Lawyer couldn't work out his pension entitlement.

winner69
13-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Isn't it about time this guy shut up about the media and all and sundry? His major conspiracy theory is full on but his court case doesn't appear to name defendants and the judge is getting irritated and his lawyer claims that he has been very busy lately etc. I would like to know how an intelligent Lawyer couldn't work out his pension entitlement.

I think Winston leaked the story about his pension himself

minimoke
13-11-2017, 11:45 AM
. I would like to know how an intelligent Lawyer couldn't work out his pension entitlement.
This is all a nice distraction from this key point. It is inconceivable that in 2010 Peters did not know what superannuation he was signing up for. After all tens of thousands of ordinary New Zealanders do this every year.

And its inconceivable, that as an advocate for the "aged" constituency that Peters would not question the amount flowing into his bank account for his superannuation.

That's even aside for the moral question of him double dipping the tax payer with his parliamentary pay which includes sizeable contributions to the politicians superannuation scheme.

I guess we could feel sorry for him. He only owns 3 houses, got a directorship in Orewa Ltd and gets benefits from the Rawhiti Land Trust. He must be doing it hard.

And if we are to give him the benefit of the doubt how could we possibly have faith in him as deputy prime minister if he cant even comprehend a basic government form or reconcile his bank account.

fungus pudding
13-11-2017, 02:04 PM
This is all a nice distraction from this key point. It is inconceivable that in 2010 Peters did not know what superannuation he was signing up for. After all tens of thousands of ordinary New Zealanders do this every year.

And its inconceivable, that as an advocate for the "aged" constituency that Peters would not question the amount flowing into his bank account for his superannuation.

That's even aside for the moral question of him double dipping the tax payer with his parliamentary pay which includes sizeable contributions to the politicians superannuation scheme.

I guess we could feel sorry for him. He only owns 3 houses, got a directorship in Orewa Ltd and gets benefits from the Rawhiti Land Trust. He must be doing it hard.

And if we are to give him the benefit of the doubt how could we possibly have faith in him as deputy prime minister if he cant even comprehend a basic government form or reconcile his bank account.

How true, and how many others have got off scot free for making numerous false declarations simply because they paid it back when asked? Probably none.

iceman
15-11-2017, 10:26 AM
WP off to North Korea on a small errand for Trump. Good luck to him. Hopefully he will be required over there for a year or two http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11944145

winner69
15-11-2017, 10:50 AM
WP off to North Korea on a small errand for Trump. Good luck to him. Hopefully he will be required over there for a year or two http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11944145

Hope he succeeds in his little mission

Sir Winston and Nobel Peace Price and Time Magazine Person of the Year all have a nice ring to them eh

westerly
15-11-2017, 10:54 AM

He was overpaid along with 50000 or so others. AS for double dipping there is nothing morally wrong with that it is legal. Much the same as minimising your tax by any legal means possible Something you would agree with. National took no steps to increase tax or to alter the situation.
As for assets have a look at the list of MPs assets they have disclosed. Winston is a pauper compared with some. It is interesting how many trusts
some have disclosed.

westerly

minimoke
15-11-2017, 11:22 AM
He was overpaid along with 50000 or so others. And that makes it right does it? Still worries me he cant even rconcile his own personal bank statements.

AS for double dipping there is nothing morally wrong with that it is legal. Much the same as minimising your tax by any legal means possible Something you would agree with. National took no steps to increase tax or to alter the situation. No its not the same at all. On one hand I try to minimise tax as its my money to start with so I figure I should do all I can to keep as much as possible. In winston's case it is also part of my money to start with and he figures he can take me for as much as he can

As for assets have a look at the list of MPs assets they have disclosed. Winston is a pauper compared with some. It is interesting how many trusts
some have disclosed.

westerlyI know. The hypocrisy of Metria Turie owning a castle while justifying her lies to obtain additional benefits by fraud was lost on many - including those in the Green Party.

Zaphod
15-11-2017, 11:47 AM
I know. The hypocrisy of Metria Turie owning a castle while justifying her lies to obtain additional benefits by fraud was lost on many - including those in the Green Party.

She boarded an AKL-NPL flight we me a few weeks ago and literally only looked at the floor during both the boarding and for the duration of the flight itself. I think she must know she is not popular.

westerly
15-11-2017, 12:47 PM
And that makes it right does it? Still worries me he cant even rconcile his own personal bank statements.

No its not the same at all. On one hand I try to minimise tax as its my money to start with so I figure I should do all I can to keep as much as possible. In winston's case it is also part of my money to start with and he figures he can take me for as much as he can
I know. The hypocrisy of Metria Turie owning a castle while justifying her lies to obtain additional benefits by fraud was lost on many - including those in the Green Party.

Jeez, how much of it is your money? You must pay a large amount of tax.

Her "castle" was bought for $137000 http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11195535

More untruths?

westerly

minimoke
15-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Her "castle" was bought for $137000 http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11195535

More untruths?

westerly
Never any untruths from me - but perhaps some from Met Tu. She has form after all.

In the register of assets she has declared she owns :"Castle (jointly owned), Dunedin"

fungus pudding
15-11-2017, 03:48 PM

More untruths?

westerly

What is not true?

fungus pudding
15-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Winston looks like he's either ready to fall asleep on the spot, or fall off the perch altogether. Is Jacinda out-doing him in the whisky drinking?

westerly
16-11-2017, 03:38 PM
What is not true?

Depends how you define "castle". Dictionary definition; "a large fortified residential building" or the more common expression " my home is my castle"

westerly

minimoke
16-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Depends how you define "castle". Dictionary definition; "a large fortified residential building" or the more common expression " my home is my castle"

westerlyNo it doesn't. Its how Met Tu described her asset. Maybe she was attempting to mislead?

fungus pudding
16-11-2017, 03:54 PM

westerly
Which bit is not true ? Nothing to do with any definitions.

craic
24-11-2017, 10:33 AM
A caller to talkback, in the early hours of the morning, made a very clear claim that we would hear very 'soon" that Winston Peters is sick. For whatever reason, she appeared certain of her facts but would not elaborate. While I wish ill to no man, I wonder at the implications of this, should it be true. Imagine the effect on NZ First? A bit like a legless spider.

fungus pudding
24-11-2017, 10:48 AM
A caller to talkback, in the early hours of the morning, made a very clear claim that we would hear very 'soon" that Winston Peters is sick. For whatever reason, she appeared certain of her facts but would not elaborate. While I wish ill to no man, I wonder at the implications of this, should it be true. Imagine the effect on NZ First? A bit like a legless spider.

Have you had a look at him lately ? He looks like death warmed up and the last time I heard him speak he was struggling to breathe. That was his announcement of who he was appointing to lead the coalition. Will he last till the end of this term? I wouldn't put money on it.

winner69
24-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Have you had a look at him lately ? He looks like death warmed up and the last time I heard him speak he was struggling to breathe. That was his announcement of who he was appointing to lead the coalition. Will he last till the end of this term? I wouldn't put money on it.

Recall there was that story re his health pre election that was not published in mysterious circumstances

minimoke
24-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Winston? Id forgotten all about him.

RGR367
24-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Winston? Id forgotten all about him.

Please don't. We still need him to lead the mine's re-entry.

craic
24-11-2017, 12:50 PM
If he can't breathe properly now, he won't be going down the mine. I know what it feels like. I ran out of puff on a liner in Bali in September and as I write this, I have just filled my chainsaw to go and fell the biggest tree for next winters wood. Seems like the medication is working. Atrial fibrillation its called but knackered is far more descriptive.

Jonboyz
25-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Winston is taking some time out ashamed at himself for making the single most worst decision in NZ Political history.

Zaphod
25-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Winston is taking some time out ashamed at himself for making the single most worst decision in NZ Political history.

Perhaps you need to be more positive: It's his last term in government. There you go, merry Christmas!

craic
27-11-2017, 08:26 AM
And still not a word from the man himself. It must be close to a record for him - how many days now?

macduffy
27-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Sshh, craic. Life's so much more pleasant now.