PDA

View Full Version : What Govt will we wake up to and when.

minimoke
22-09-2017, 07:12 AM
OK, must be time for us to play a game and call it it. Time to pick what government we will actually wake up to (not the one we want) and when.

I'll get the ball rolling: Thursday 28 September. And it will be a National, NZ First and ACT coalition. Wild card = Maori PArty but if they are played it will fall into Nationals hand.

Reason: Labour Greens will still get a big block but not big enough. National will get most seats, NZ First wont work with the Greens. It will be Winston's last election, he'll want to ease into retirement and there will be less grief with national than there will be Labour / Greens. TOP will get close to 5% but not there so votes will be wasted. United Future - gone.

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Yet another thread by you mm! Haven't got time for games, but labour /greens is my hope. The choice is starkly clear and reducing it too essentials, Honesty over lying, values over ruthlessness, action over words, fresh approach over 9 years of corrupted power , and environment over pollution, we'll being over poverty. Simple choice!

minimoke
22-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Yet another thread by you mm! I know - you would like a quota where everyone got an even share no matter the quality of the content. But there are so many dimensions to elections the discussion gets lost in those great big threads.
Haven't got time for games, but labour /greens is my hope. But you had time to post here and re-confirm comprehension not top of your skills list. This thread is about the actual government - not the one we hope for. ( I think you have had more than your fair share on that topic)

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 07:40 AM
OK, must be time for us to play a game and call it it. Time to pick what government we will actually wake up to (not the one we want) and when.

I'll get the ball rolling: Thursday 28 September. And it will be a National, NZ First and ACT coalition. Wild card = Maori PArty but if they are played it will fall into Nationals hand.

Reason: Labour Greens will still get a big block but not big enough. National will get most seats, NZ First wont work with the Greens. It will be Winston's last election, he'll want to ease into retirement and there will be less grief with national than there will be Labour / Greens. TOP will get close to 5% but not there so votes will be wasted. United Future - gone.

Yes, I reckon National, NZ First and Act will get there. Although if the numbers allow, Winston will try and block Act from the coalition. Can't see Morgan's mob at anywhere near 5%. Why not start a poll MM?

blackcap
22-09-2017, 07:48 AM
I think it could just be a Lab/Greens/NZF coalition but I am starting to lean to a Nat/NZF coalition. It all depends on what happens tomorrow with the final outcome of votes, turnout etc. The market seems to think that too though, with that possibility now at about 1.50 for the Nat/NZF option and the Labour one at 3.00

minimoke
22-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Why not start a poll MM?Too many possible permutations.

iceman
22-09-2017, 08:00 AM
I think the most likely scenario is National/NZF but without ACT. I can't see Winston wanting Seymour or vice versa, unless they need him for confidence and supply. But if that is the case, then such a 1 majority Government would never last anyway so probably should not be attempted.
If Nat/NZF Government will be formed it will be a real challenge for English to manage Peters as well as his own caucus. From the outset English needs to ruthlessly cull some senior people like Smith, Collins, Tolley, Upston, Carter, Guy and possibly some others. Then appoint Deputies with Brownlee and Joyce that will take over mid term when they retire. Bennett, Kaye, Adams, Bridges, Goldsmith, Ross and some others should become the senior faces of National for the 2020 election !!

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 08:04 AM
And then, the big question --- what if he loses?
http://politik.co.nz/get_img?ImageWidth=450&ImageHeight=300&ImageId=1256
Nikki Kaye, Bill English and Mary English in Auckland's Britomart

There has been a quiet debate going on among MPs about this possibility as the campaign has unfolded.
As much as there is a consensus audible to outside ears, it would appear that any thought of a Bennett-Joyce leadership has lost support.
Amy Adams and Simon Bridges would seem a more likely combination but rapidly coming down the straight is Education Minister, Nikki Kaye, who produced the one genuinely innovative bit of policy during National's campaign with her proposal to make a foreign language compulsory in primary schools.
And of course, there is Judith Collins who has been able to demonstrate through the Marsden Point fuel crisis what is often forgotten about her; that she is a highly competent Minister.

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Too many possible permutations.

Yeah, but there's no shortage of cyber space. :D

minimoke
22-09-2017, 08:26 AM
And then, the big question --- what if he loses?
r.
Heres an original idea - how about starting your own thread on that question. I cant find any pictures that might help you understand the title of this thread.

minimoke
22-09-2017, 08:27 AM
I think the most likely scenario is National/NZF but without ACT. I can't see Winston wanting Seymour or vice versa, Winston may have a tough (Hobsons?) choice - working with the Greens or ACT

Adam H
22-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Really hard to pick. Polls are close and its hard to know which way they bias. They ring land lines for some, so national may be biased on the sampling, but Labour gets the lions share of young voters, who may answer a poll but then don't go and vote.

There is a decent chance NZF doesn't make 5% and then i think Labour+Greens+? will be in. If NZF makes the 5% Nats are currently looking more likely based on the current polling and betting odds. But if brexit and the U.S. taught us anything it is that polls and gambling odds are often wrong.

I'm going to cop out and call it a 50/50 although i am Hoping for a Labour/Green government. I will be surprised if there is a clear winner tomorrow, i think we should all be prepared for a long drawn out saga of minor parties haggling :-/ Either way will be glad to have less politics in my face once it is finally decided :-)

A big thanks to everyone on this forum. I have never found anywhere to be so cordial when it comes to discussing political beliefs.

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Really hard to pick. Polls are close and its hard to know which way they bias. They ring land lines for some, so national may be biased on the sampling, but Labour gets the lions share of young voters, who may answer a poll but then don't go and vote.

There is a decent chance NZF doesn't make 5% and then i think Labour+Greens+? will be in. If NZF makes the 5% Nats are currently looking more likely based on the current polling and betting odds. But if brexit and the U.S. taught us anything it is that polls and gambling odds are often wrong.

I'm going to cop out and call it a 50/50 although i am Hoping for a Labour/Green government. I will be surprised if there is a clear winner tomorrow, i think we should all be prepared for a long drawn out saga of minor parties haggling :-/ Either way will be glad to have less politics in my face once it is finally decided :-)

A big thanks to everyone on this forum. I have never found anywhere to be so cordial when it comes to discussing political beliefs.

Guess you haven't come across joshuatree or tim23 yet.

westerly
22-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Winston may have a tough (Hobsons?) choice - working with the Greens or ACT

Having just reprimanded JT for being of topic are you not doing the same?

westerly

Adam H
22-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Guess you haven't come across joshuatree or tim23 yet.

Haha i saw them i was just being positive. And to be fair they are not nearly as bad as what is found elsewhere, and the discussion as a whole is pretty good

Investor
22-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Hopefully a National led government.

craic
22-09-2017, 09:32 AM
I was reasonably sure that Labour would win for no other reason than the NZ practice of changing governments every three terms but Labour's lack of leadership problems caused me to think twice. JA changed all that for a time but she arrived too early if any thing. She has ridden the "I" horse a bit too much with rarely a "we" or an "us" anywhere to be heard. Without her the party is still a headless chicken and I suspect many voters want more than a shiny bright leader. I will pick a National government with a small but clear majority. Bill English is far closer to the good keen bloke image than I gave him credit for and I suspect that he has gained a lot of support during the campaign.

minimoke
22-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Having just reprimanded JT for being of topic are you not doing the same?

westerly
On Topic " What Govt will we wake up to and when." Winston will most likely form part of the next government - but on which side. That's the call posters on this thread will need to make.

couta1
22-09-2017, 09:45 AM
From a personal moral value viewpoint, in hoping either National alone or with NZF, Labour and the Greens are morally bankrupt according to my values.

huxley
22-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Can't see Labour being the largest party this time round...

Just guessing, I say we'll have a Nat/NZF govt this time next week. Now.. what (securities) should I buy?

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 10:42 AM
From a personal moral value viewpoint, in hoping either National alone or with NZF, Labour and the Greens are morally bankrupt according to my values.

So your values value lying to the country. Have you seen joyce bennett and bill are already demoted if/when national lose. looks like some in national coming through have values.

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 10:45 AM
I was reasonably sure that Labour would win for no other reason than the NZ practice of changing governments every three terms but Labour's lack of leadership problems caused me to think twice. JA changed all that for a time but she arrived too early if any thing. She has ridden the "I" horse a bit too much with rarely a "we" or an "us" anywhere to be heard. Without her the party is still a headless chicken and I suspect many voters want more than a shiny bright leader. I will pick a National government with a small but clear majority. Bill English is far closer to the good keen bloke image than I gave him credit for and I suspect that he has gained a lot of support during the campaign.

He is indeed a good keen corrupt bloke; This has been the most corrupt fake news election we have ever had.Trump will be ringing him up to say "fake it more bill next time".

couta1
22-09-2017, 11:05 AM
So your values value lying to the country. Have you seen joyce bennett and bill are already demoted if/when national lose. looks like some in national coming through have values. I'm talking about values like Abortion/Marriage/Euthanasia etc, nuff said

blackcap
22-09-2017, 11:05 AM
He is indeed a good keen corrupt bloke; This has been the most corrupt fake news election we have ever had.Trump will be ringing him up to say "fake it more bill next time".

Whats with the name calling and insults?

Sgt Pepper
22-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Craic

do you still stand by your prediction that Stuart Nash has no hope of winning again in Napier??

Sgt Pepper
22-09-2017, 11:46 AM
I think the most likely scenario is National/NZF but without ACT. I can't see Winston wanting Seymour or vice versa, unless they need him for confidence and supply. But if that is the case, then such a 1 majority Government would never last anyway so probably should not be attempted.Iceman
If Nat/NZF Government will be formed it will be a real challenge for English to manage Peters as well as his own caucus. From the outset English needs to ruthlessly cull some senior people like Smith, Collins, Tolley, Upston, Carter, Guy and possibly some others. Then appoint Deputies with Brownlee and Joyce that will take over mid term when they retire. Bennett, Kaye, Adams, Bridges, Goldsmith, Ross and some others should become the senior faces of National for the 2020 election !!

Iceman
You make some good points. A National NZF government will inevitably have severe internal tensions which will be a challenge to manage. The other iceberg floating in the ocean is the looming severe downturn in the Auckland housing market. The married and overmortgaged will be under extreme financial stress.
Inevitably they will direct their anger at the government, no matter who is in power.

ari
22-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Excellent synopsis craic...totally agree....

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Whats with the name calling and insults?

Facts facts facts. Does your auto editing device remove them?

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Craic

do you still stand by your prediction that Stuart Nash has no hope of winning again in Napier??

He will win and he will be the next leader of the Labour party.

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 01:42 PM
He looks promising in the future as long as he doesn't do an "honest" joyce or english impression. If national lose the election joyce english and bennett are gone and bridges ,adams, kaye and collins :eek2:are being vetted.

blackcap
22-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Facts facts facts. Does your auto editing device remove them?

No I don't really care, call Joyce or Bill anything you like. Just don't complain and moan when darling Taxinda gets a nickname.

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 01:53 PM
He looks promising in the future as long as he doesn't do an "honest" joyce or english impression. If national lose the election joyce english and bennett are gone and bridges ,adams, kaye and collins :eek2:are being vetted.

Stop being silly.

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 02:14 PM
National plans post election
There has been a quiet debate going on among MPs about this possibility as the campaign has unfolded.
As much as there is a consensus audible to outside ears, it would appear that any thought of a Bennett-Joyce leadership has lost support.
Amy Adams and Simon Bridges would seem a more likely combination but rapidly coming down the straight is Education Minister, Nikki Kaye, who produced the one genuinely innovative bit of policy during National's campaign with her proposal to make a foreign language compulsory in primary schools.
And of course, there is Judith Collins who has been able to demonstrate through the Marsden Point fuel crisis what is often forgotten about her; that she is a highly competent Minister.

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Stop being silly.

Name calling ;id be very very careful if i was you.

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Name calling ;id be very very careful if i was you.

I'd go and learn about puctuation and basic grammar if I were you.

artemis
22-09-2017, 02:41 PM
I'd go and learn about puctuation and basic grammar if I were you.

Probably too much to ask someone to use the subjunctive these days. Is there an emoji for that?

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 03:15 PM
No I don't really care, call Joyce or Bill anything you like. Just don't complain and moan when darling Taxinda gets a nickname.

Is that some accountancy business in your 'hood:p

jonu
22-09-2017, 03:25 PM
National plans post election

It'd be helpful if you named your source JT. Is this from a political journo or Labour's PR team?

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 03:35 PM
looking good for ;Kelvin
Seat watch: the Māori electoratesBy Leonie Hayden (https://thespinoff.co.nz/author/leonie-hayden/) | Staff Writer
September 22, 2017
The campaign for the Māori seats has been defined by drama and intrigue, with noble families protecting ancient fiefdoms and usurpers lurking around every corner like some kind of popular fantasy series.
As of 19 September, 241,602 people were enrolled on the Māori electoral roll (http://www.elections.org.nz/research-statistics/maori-enrolment-statistics-electorate) with the 18 – 24 group by far the largest demographic and 70+ the smallest – the inverse of the general electoral roll (http://www.elections.org.nz/research-statistics/enrolment-statistics-electorate). It’s almost like Māori have a worldview and values distinct from the default western mindset!
The contest for the Māori seats has felt George RR Martin-esque at times (minus the incest… presumably), with candidates changing allegiance (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11792898) at the last minute and family members trying to kill usurp each other (http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2017/03/m-ori-king-to-publicly-endorse-m-ori-party-candidate-in-hauraki-waikato.html).
Currently Labour holds six of the seven seats and has made clear their intention to sit on the throne in all seven kingdoms after Saturday. Will they do it?
Below, a whistlestop tour of the seats. Note that the poll numbers, while often a useful guide, are even less reliable than most, given the size of the electorates, the time span over which they were surveyed, and the youth-skewed demographics. They’ve proved wrong in the past.
Te Tai TokerauHaving won three elections and one by-election in Te Tai Tokerau, Hone Harawira seemed like an immutable Northland Kauri. But then disastrously he joined forces with German millionaire Kim Dotcom in 2014 and lost his seat to Labour’s Kelvin Davis. While Davis isn’t keen on all the driving he has to do around the electorate he is way out ahead in the poll.
This time around Harawira has struck a different deal, agreeing not to stand a Mana candidate in any of the other six seats in exchange for the Māori Party putting up no one against him in Te Tai Tokerau. At this stage, it looks like he got the worse end of the bargain.
I’m sure Godfrey Rudolph is very nice, but this is a two-horse race.
Reid Research poll for Māori Television:
Kelvin Davis, Labour 67.4%
Hone Harawira, Mana 30.3%
Godfrey Rudolph, Greens *2.3%
Preferred party:
Labour 49.7%
Green 10.3%
Mana 6.1%

iceman
22-09-2017, 03:37 PM
looking good for ;Kelvin
Seat watch: the Māori electoratesBy Leonie Hayden (https://thespinoff.co.nz/author/leonie-hayden/) | Staff Writer
September 22, 2017
The campaign for the Māori seats has been defined by drama and intrigue, with noble families protecting ancient fiefdoms and usurpers lurking around every corner like some kind of popular fantasy series.
As of 19 September, 241,602 people were enrolled on the Māori electoral roll (http://www.elections.org.nz/research-statistics/maori-enrolment-statistics-electorate) with the 18 – 24 group by far the largest demographic and 70+ the smallest – the inverse of the general electoral roll (http://www.elections.org.nz/research-statistics/enrolment-statistics-electorate). It’s almost like Māori have a worldview and values distinct from the default western mindset!
The contest for the Māori seats has felt George RR Martin-esque at times (minus the incest… presumably), with candidates changing allegiance (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11792898) at the last minute and family members trying to kill usurp each other (http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2017/03/m-ori-king-to-publicly-endorse-m-ori-party-candidate-in-hauraki-waikato.html).
Currently Labour holds six of the seven seats and has made clear their intention to sit on the throne in all seven kingdoms after Saturday. Will they do it?
Below, a whistlestop tour of the seats. Note that the poll numbers, while often a useful guide, are even less reliable than most, given the size of the electorates, the time span over which they were surveyed, and the youth-skewed demographics. They’ve proved wrong in the past.
Te Tai TokerauHaving won three elections and one by-election in Te Tai Tokerau, Hone Harawira seemed like an immutable Northland Kauri. But then disastrously he joined forces with German millionaire Kim Dotcom in 2014 and lost his seat to Labour’s Kelvin Davis. While Davis isn’t keen on all the driving he has to do around the electorate he is way out ahead in the poll.
This time around Harawira has struck a different deal, agreeing not to stand a Mana candidate in any of the other six seats in exchange for the Māori Party putting up no one against him in Te Tai Tokerau. At this stage, it looks like he got the worse end of the bargain.
I’m sure Godfrey Rudolph is very nice, but this is a two-horse race.
Reid Research poll for Māori Television:
Kelvin Davis, Labour 67.4%
Hone Harawira, Mana 30.3%
Godfrey Rudolph, Greens *2.3%
Preferred party:
Labour 49.7%
Green 10.3%
Mana 6.1%

Great. I sure hope Kelvin wins Te Tai Tokerau

22-09-2017, 03:39 PM
It'd be helpful if you named your source JT. Is this from a political journo or Labour's PR team?

I wonder how many on here bother to read his cut and pastes?

Baa_Baa
22-09-2017, 03:43 PM
I wonder how many on here bother to read his cut and pastes?

Very few I'd guess, if any. Obviously doesn't care about copyrights either. ST used to be tough on copyright infringement, name calling, personal attacks etc, but that seems to have all gone by the by with these election threads.

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 03:55 PM
A REMINDER THAT LABOUR WANT TO IMPROVE PEOPLES LIVES
More spending on core public services or an income tax cut and faster repayment of debt?
That's the choice being offered to voters by the fiscal plans of our two biggest political parties.

https://assets.stuff.co.nz/interactives/2017/08/election17/election-2017-instory2.png (https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/NZ-election-home/)

Labour plans to spend about $12b more than National between now and June 2022.

This is on operating expenses - the ongoing stuff like health, welfare, police funding and education. It doesn't include capital expenses.
For context, total operating expenses between 2017 and 2022 will be more than $400 billion.
Election 2017: A rough guide to Labour and National's spending plans ... (https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiy-Kuv_rfWAhVEOrwKHSTsDn8QFgglMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuff.co.nz%2Fnational%2Fpol itics%2F96409123%2Felection-2017-where-will-the-money-come-from&usg=AFQjCNEFAspj3bSEwTTdJ0T0P-wOlI4AmQ)

minimoke
22-09-2017, 03:59 PM
A REMINDER THAT LABOUR WANT TO IMPROVE PEOPLES LIVES
Then let me keep my $1000!

Sgt Pepper
22-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Hopefully a National led government.

Hopefully not.

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Here you go mm

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/nzlabour/pages/8273/attachments/original/1499736499/images_for_website.png?1499736499

blackcap
22-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Here you go mm

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/nzlabour/pages/8273/attachments/original/1499736499/images_for_website.png?1499736499

What a load of rubbish. Supporting and encouraging parents to have kids. Not for me thanks. And the winter benefit is just a huge waste. Really its just raising Super. Might as well take the money from the hospitals to pay for it. Ugh

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 04:34 PM
One person rubbish is another persons treasure bc.

25% undecided according to this.

Election too close to call (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/97128177/stuff-poll-of-polls-election-result-too-close-to-call)

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Over 5 years the irrigated area increased from 425,000 hectares to 507,000 hectares. The Target is 850,000 hectares by 2040.

This is a shocking indictment on whats happening and they want to increase it.Intensification plus continues. We need a water royalty right now. We can do better waaaay better ,lets do this.

Water quality progress struggling (https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/97105519/canterbury-struggling-with-water-quality-targets-good-progress-on-irrigation)

Investor
22-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Over 5 years the irrigated area increased from 425,000 hectares to 507,000 hectares. The Target is 850,000 hectares by 2040.

This is a shocking indictment on whats happening and they want to increase it.Intensification plus continues. We need a water royalty right now. We can do better waaaay better ,lets do this.

Water quality progress struggling (https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/97105519/canterbury-struggling-with-water-quality-targets-good-progress-on-irrigation)

Oh dear...

Joshuatree
22-09-2017, 07:39 PM
National are fiddling after 9 years and will continue to allow a small % of farmers to intensify and pollute our environment. Labour would like to make NZ Clean and green, AGAIN. ONLY ONE CHOICE TOMORROW IMO.

Investor
22-09-2017, 07:40 PM
National are fiddling after 9 years and will continue to allow a small % of farmers to intensify and pollute our environment. Labour would like to make NZ Clean and green, AGAIN. ONLY ONE CHOICE TOMORROW IMO.

Don't worry I've already voted =]

22-09-2017, 08:28 PM
It appears JT has been put in a straight jacket.

RGR367
22-09-2017, 09:08 PM
How should I as a cheerful pessimist greenie capitalist vote? I'm still in a real dilemma for tomorrow :cool:

fungus pudding
22-09-2017, 09:43 PM
May the best man win. :t_up:

huxley
22-09-2017, 09:47 PM
****or woman

huxley
22-09-2017, 09:47 PM
*********or human

Joshuatree
05-10-2017, 11:38 AM
This maybe of int to some, lots of details and stats around the regions, jobs and salaries wise.

Election Jitters cool the job market
Download Document 104.33KB (https://hotcopper.com.au/documentembed?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvSDYL4wq8w Rn0v%2BN0%2BrFiGug%3D)

minimoke
05-10-2017, 11:54 AM
This maybe of int to some, lots of details and stats around the regions, jobs and salaries wise.

Election Jitters cool the job market
Download Document 104.33KB (https://hotcopper.com.au/documentembed?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvSDYL4wq8w Rn0v%2BN0%2BrFiGug%3D)
Alternatively you could go to Seek (https://www.seek.co.nz/investor/employment-report) and see job ads are up.
It will be the post election numbers that will be interesting especially if Labour takes us back to the 1970's

craic
05-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Long and interesting article in the Irish Times about the invention of Baileys Irish Cream in 1973. Two guys went looking for a cream drink based on a bottle of Irish whiskey and a jar of cream. It took a lot of hard work and the addition of chocolate. The name came from over the door of small scruffy establishment next door to one they were entering and the preceding initials, from another firm. The sales of this stuff is now into the billions of bottles but the interesting part of the success story is that, as a new export product it was exempt from tax for ten years. Maybe if we could accept that major tax incentives can benefit a country we might make some progress.