PDA

View Full Version : NZ brokers for US stocks

nzmagpie
02-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Hi,

as the title mentions I am looking to set up a brokerage account that can trade US stocks on the major exchanges there. I'm in the middle of my research (and arrived here!), so, I thought I'd ask for recommendations and any other advice you may have on this subject.

I'd also like to buy US stocks and receive the physical certificate too in some instances, so any info on that would be much appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

edit: just found this thread from 2014 and had discovered halifaxonline.co.nz. Still looking...
https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?9785-Best-tool-to-buy-US-shares

Entrep
03-10-2017, 09:32 AM
I used ASB once, think it cost $80NZD for the trade

I use InteractiveBrokers now, about US$10 per trade.

A lot of the US brokerages that service international clients stopped servicing NZ customers (etrade, charles schwab). I guess we are too small

nzmagpie
03-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info - will look into InteractiveBroker today.

scottwalshnz
07-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info - will look into InteractiveBroker today.

Another option is TD Ameritrade, I use them and found them ok to set up from NZ.
https://www.tdameritrade.com/

NZT
09-10-2017, 11:59 AM
I have setup an account with Halifaxonline, they're Auckland based. Service thus far has been very good. Their fees appear to be very decent too.
I am somewhat confused by the investment software though - just a bit complicated IMHO - but its probably just me.

Will take a look at IB and TD though, I know IB is very popular overseas.

NZT
09-10-2017, 12:02 PM
I used ASB once, think it cost $80NZD for the trade

I use InteractiveBrokers now, about US$10 per trade.

A lot of the US brokerages that service international clients stopped servicing NZ customers (etrade, charles schwab). I guess we are too small

just curious, how does one fund the IB trading account? just a Forex transfer from NZ to US?

GTM 3442
13-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Just curious, what are the ownership arrangements with IB? Held in your name or in a custody account